WP Staff & WP Spear?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

WP Staff & WP Spear?

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Should a person who is trained with staff be able to use a spear, no - to hit but also without any bonuses mind you, and vice versa?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: WP Staff & WP Spear?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

WP spear (as I see it) is training is more focused on using the spear head, while WP Staff is more like..using the body of the staff as the weapon.

So if the char (w/only wp staff) is using the spear as a staff then they would get their staff bonuses, but if they use it as a spear they would only get their PP bonuses.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

In palladium a person with out a WP can already use any weapon with out any penalty (unless the weapon in question has a special rule stating that they can't). Now, with that caveat out of the way. If you have a spear and you want to fight with it like a staff, then you can use your WP staff. But your using it like a staff, not a spear. You could probably do the same in reverse as well. The damage, in my opinion, would be the lower of the two.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

eliakon wrote:In palladium a person with out a WP can already use any weapon with out any penalty (unless the weapon in question has a special rule stating that they can't). Now, with that caveat out of the way. If you have a spear and you want to fight with it like a staff, then you can use your WP staff. But your using it like a staff, not a spear. You could probably do the same in reverse as well. The damage, in my opinion, would be the lower of the two.

Agreed.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

You could use a spear like a staff easily enough, but a staff wouldn't pass as a spear very well as the attack moves are different. Spears tend to be stabbing actions and positioning the head to stop the target from getting close, so I'd allow one way but not the other.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

In martial arts I used the end of the staff to jab and to jab hard at the face, knees, crotch, feet, under the sternum, throat, spine, and belly. When I used spears I was taught that I was to used the body not just the head to accomplish my goals. So yeah, I could easily see that.

But then again, different teachers teach different things, and mine was very advanced with most of the weapons. While I can see it...Doesn't mean all of us will agree to it in our group either. And I do understand that you guys are not able to see it. You haven't had Master Shu to teach you.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”