Parrying larger foes

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Parrying larger foes

Unread post by Library Ogre »

There's no hard and fast rule I'm aware of; your best bet to find one would be Mount Nimro, but I haven't looked at it in years.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I don't think mount nimro has anything either and you can just parry anything.

I use more than 1 size class
7-12 ft is +1d6 dam
12-18 ft is +2d6 dam
18-24 is +3d6 dam
1h weapons can parry 1h weapons 1 size class up
1h weapons can parry 2h weapons 1 size up when used paired (the twin parry rules)
shields can parry 1h weapons 2 sizes up and 2h weapons 1 size up
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

To my knowledge there is no rule about this specifically. I'd go with what kiralon suggests, but also take roll with impact into account. Part of the reason parry would be tough vs large attacks is mass. You could decide that the damage is blunt in nature (partially) and allow this to reduce damage as normal.

Otherwise I'd give massive penalties (up to -8 if the size difference is vast enough) and still only allow it where it could make sense, like using a tree to take some of the blow
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Gnome trying who made his roll to parry a giants spear with a wooden shield. Poor brave Gnome, him no survived nor did shield. However, Exingdor remembers what hims party do next...Tell Exingdor her already defeated. "Fore if the smallest of us was willing to stand and take an attack, what chance would you have against us." Make Exingdor think...or something.

Exingdor was exactly not the brightest log on fire. IQ of 5, ME of 4. Plus the PC had a ring of charismatic aura which he activated. Didn't have to have a duel of wills on this one. That was fun times. :-) Oh well...Gnome-kabob anyone? Joking! However, they were able to get him to a temple before the time had expired.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Ya gotta house rule it. I generally let players know that a giant weapon (IE Giant swinging a tree) or a massive adult dragons claws/bite can't be parried they gotta be dodged.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

kiralon wrote:I don't think mount nimro has anything either and you can just parry anything.

7-12 ft is +1d6 dam
12-18 ft is +2d6 dam
18-24 is +3d6 dam
1h weapons can parry 2h weapons 1 size up when used paired (the twin parry rules)

I like this!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

zyanitevp wrote:
kiralon wrote:I don't think mount nimro has anything either and you can just parry anything.

7-12 ft is +1d6 dam
12-18 ft is +2d6 dam
18-24 is +3d6 dam

I like this!

I think I needed to wait a month or 3 before posting this ;)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think part of the problem is we sometimes envision a parry as a "stand your ground, take the hit" issue.

But parrying could more realistically be thought of a combination of arm/weapon intervention with a person's footwork. Even when parrying someone your own size, you're likely to involve some footwork.

In the case of small guys parrying larger guys, I just figure a LOT more footwork is involved, and that the parry becomes a lot more dodge-like in nature. You don't use enough to utterly avoid the attack, but enough so that your arm/weapon alignment allows you to be propelled away from the attack, rather than propelling the attack away from you.

Conversely, if the parrier is bigger than the attacker, they can pretty much just stand their ground and use their weight to deflect the attack utterly.

Personally I would like to see dodge/parry be combined in some scenarios, since the skills actually compliment each other, in some cases more than others.

Whether or not people could move their feet would be a major issue with both skills. While one can dodge with planted feet to avoid attacks to the upper body (by ducking into a squat position) it wouldn't be useful against attacks targeting the legs. Being unable to use footwork would also lessen people's ability to competently parry an attacker too, since you can't step into/away from/aside from a swing/thrust to compliment whatever is done with the arms.

I can't see any point in trying to resolve common-sense considerations like large/small without taking into account these other parrying/dodging/footwork issues, Palladium ought to invent a new rule altogether for them.

A "dodging parry" for example, would be something small people ought to use against large ones, something where more footwork is used, where a parry is designed to launch oneself away from the attacker, rather than the attacker away from oneself. This parry would be penalized by inability to move feet (like from carpet of adhesion) whereas a "deflect your opponent, plant your feet" technique giants would use against smaller guys, should not be compromised.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Tor wrote:I can't see any point in trying to resolve common-sense considerations like large/small without taking into account these other parrying/dodging/footwork issues, Palladium ought to invent a new rule altogether for them.

Im lazy, changing the bigger issues means there is less loss of immersion so the smaller things can slide by, but I have a whole range of parry rules (don't try to parry with an axe, or a ball and chain in my games for example)
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

If the size difference is great, I'll often just disallow it, with shields granted added consideration in that regard. It's hardly a hard and fast rule, but just a common sense thing.

I eventually shifted Parry's to be 50% damage reduction (with shields also absorbing that total) to provide a bigger degree of difference between dodge and parry (since parry is just better when it's allowed in every situation). This factored, to an extent, size, since you'd still suffer a greater degree of damage (since bigger things tend to have bigger damage). It made parry a more general 'standing to avoid mitigate impact', rather than purely a 'deflects attack totally' and played out a lot more interestingly.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

kiralon wrote:
Tor wrote:I can't see any point in trying to resolve common-sense considerations like large/small without taking into account these other parrying/dodging/footwork issues, Palladium ought to invent a new rule altogether for them.

Im lazy, changing the bigger issues means there is less loss of immersion so the smaller things can slide by, but I have a whole range of parry rules (don't try to parry with an axe, or a ball and chain in my games for example)

In regards to this, if a player in my games wants to get crazy and they tell me how they do things, i'll often give them a slight break because I want to encourage creativity. Of course, there are times when there's just nothing you can do against the half ton of dragon tail whipping right at you aside dive behind a boulder.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

kiralon wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

7-12 ft is +1d6 dam
12-18 ft is +2d6 dam
18-24 is +3d6 dam

I like this!

I think I needed to wait a month or 3 before posting this ;)

At the very least after you cleared the Isle of Cyclops....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

There is an official ruling on this - It's basically that size doesn't prevent you parrying a blow, a gnome CAN parry an ogre etc.

I'm wracking my brain as to where I saw it... I shall return with a source!
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Mryoto wrote:
sHaka wrote:There is an official ruling on this - It's basically that size doesn't prevent you parrying a blow, a gnome CAN parry an ogre etc.

I'm wracking my brain as to where I saw it... I shall return with a source!

If you found the source of that I would much appreciate it. While I will most likely keep our house rule in play, I always like to be able to reference rules in the game.

I haven't forgotten Mryoto, still searching! :D
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

It is not so much that I think a Gnome could not parry an Ogre....

Just that I think weight and strength of both parties ought to factor into how hard it is to do this.

The nature of deflection is that you don't have to use as much force as blocking... yet parry seems to include deflect AND block so... blah.

Even when deflecting though, you still need enough force to shift something... an Ogre's fist being around double the size would take double the force of a human's to swat aside... and then there's stuff like parrying heavy mauls.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Prowess would help you get your arms up to block an attack, but it wouldn't help in having the strength to take that hit. It would help in being more able to achieve a deflection using less force though.

More rules ARE fun :) Unbeatable Gnomes are hilarious but when you think about how they really ought to have taken over the Palladium World based on their comparative efficiency, explaining that away becomes challenging...

I guess Gnomes hate each other or have a low breeding drive or are super-passive or something... smoking pipes under hills and such even if they got their act together, coordinate their low-space low-food magic-prone capacity would wreck all other races.
sHaka
Hero

Unread post by sHaka »

Found it! (sorry for the delay)

Rifter #48 pg. 25 in an article by Mark Oberle, Irvin Jackson and Kevin Siembeida - Official answers to Nightbane questions (megaversal system, right? ;) )

Kevin states that mundane folk can parry foes even with supernatural strength, as parrying isn't about blocking an attach but "redirecting" the blow. So, it is certainly Kevin's intention in the megaversal system that the weak and small can parry the large and strong.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

sHaka wrote:Found it! (sorry for the delay)

Rifter #48 pg. 25 in an article by Mark Oberle, Irvin Jackson and Kevin Siembeida - Official answers to Nightbane questions (megaversal system, right? ;) )

Kevin states that mundane folk can parry foes even with supernatural strength, as parrying isn't about blocking an attach but "redirecting" the blow. So, it is certainly Kevin's intention in the megaversal system that the weak and small can parry the large and strong.

I do believe you can deflect bigger stronger blows, but only to a point and its takes a lot more skill to do so then to parry someone of similar size and strength. When deflecting most people think of overhead blows that only need to be knocked a small amount out of the way, but when a giant swings something the size of a log at you horizontal waist height, that goes 6ft behind you, how the hell do you deflect that blow so it doesn't hit you?
I guess that rule is there so normals can fight banes with some chance of staying alive in nightbane, but I think ill stick with my way. If you want to parry a dragon, be a dragon, otherwise dodging is your friend.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

There are two concepts to consider when considering if a parry is possible: leverage (aka mechanical advantage) and conservation of momentum.

If you have a knife, you have exactly zero chance of deflecting a log that is swung at you by a giant. You might improve your chances of dodging if you use the knife to press against the log, but that that point it's not a parry at all.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”