Were Shamans Totem Powers

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Were Shamans Totem Powers

Unread post by kiralon »

Do they apply in human form and animal form, or just human form or just animal form.
(I.E. Hoofed Totem gets +6 dam, +1 dodge, speed double etc)
Wereshaman is in Mount Nimro Book page 47
I personally think they only apply to human(or whatever you were, orc, troll etc) shape.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Were Shamans Totem Powers

Unread post by Library Ogre »

They apply in all shapes, because all shapes are the wereshaman.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

the only thing that doesn't make sense there is at levels 5,10 and 15 the shaman gets to pick another totem, then a horse totem who then took cat totem could be a horse that ran at twice the speed of a normal horse and then could climb trees and walls at %76, or turn into a mouse with +6 to damage.
Just the hoofed totem with double speed power makes me think its unlikely because then they are never really the same as their natural counterparts. (Being a mouse with +10 damage would also certainly be a surprise for someone)
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Mark Hall wrote:They apply in all shapes, because all shapes are the wereshaman.

It is just an across the board bonus. Mark has it right. It doesn't matter what form they are in.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kiralon wrote:the only thing that doesn't make sense there is at levels 5,10 and 15 the shaman gets to pick another totem, then a horse totem who then took cat totem could be a horse that ran at twice the speed of a normal horse and then could climb trees and walls at %76, or turn into a mouse with +6 to damage.
Just the hoofed totem with double speed power makes me think its unlikely because then they are never really the same as their natural counterparts. (Being a mouse with +10 damage would also certainly be a surprise for someone)

I would think that the power has to be compatible. So no tree climbing horses. But a mouse with damage +10 is certainly in the rules sure, you can get that now anyway with most shape shifting since they don't change your PS.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

eliakon wrote:
kiralon wrote:the only thing that doesn't make sense there is at levels 5,10 and 15 the shaman gets to pick another totem, then a horse totem who then took cat totem could be a horse that ran at twice the speed of a normal horse and then could climb trees and walls at %76, or turn into a mouse with +6 to damage.

I would think that the power has to be compatible. So no tree climbing horses. But a mouse with damage +10 is certainly in the rules sure, you can get that now anyway with most shape shifting since they don't change your PS.

You are thinking of only the most absurd examples with your tree climbing horse. "Hoofed" animal totem covers much more than just horses. For example: a transformed were-shaman that changed into a mountain goat, it would make very much since to have both Hoofed and Feline Animal totems, to have the added ability of climb and scale walls skills to jumping up high rocks and climb up and down rocky cliff walls.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Lukterran wrote:
eliakon wrote:

You are thinking of only the most absurd examples with your tree climbing horse. "Hoofed" animal totem covers much more than just horses. For example: a transformed were-shaman that changed into a mountain goat, it would make very much since to have both Hoofed and Feline Animal totems, to have the added ability of climb and scale walls skills to jumping up high rocks and climb up and down rocky cliff walls.

That was my point I thought. If the powers make sense add them. But if you cant use an ability in that form then no amount of bonus will let you use it.
Your climb bonus will grant you a bonus to climbing if the form your in can climb the surface your proposing to climb. So yes, goats can climb rocks cats can climb rocks so the cat bonus in goat form will help climb rocks. Just like the cat bonus in mouse form will help you climb a tree. But the cat bonus wont help a fish climb, because fish cant climb.
Does that make sense?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Lukterran wrote:
eliakon wrote:

The absurdity was the point, if it is across the board and all your shapes you do have a horse that has %76 climb, and since palladium doesn't have negatives for skill rolls its runs up to the castle walls and up and over, the mouse with +10 damage is just as absurd, it would hit something and break all the bones in the limb that did the hitting, so its just as absurd as the tree climbing horse, so you cant say its one without the other. Either the ability is across the board and the horse (or fish) can climb walls, or its not across the board and the horse can't climb walls. Its magic that lets the mouse hit for +10 damage and then its magic that lets the horse climb.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

kiralon wrote:
Lukterran wrote:
eliakon wrote:

The absurdity was the point, if it is across the board and all your shapes you do have a horse that has %76 climb, and since palladium doesn't have negatives for skill rolls its runs up to the castle walls and up and over, the mouse with +10 damage is just as absurd, it would hit something and break all the bones in the limb that did the hitting, so its just as absurd as the tree climbing horse, so you cant say its one without the other. Either the ability is across the board and the horse (or fish) can climb walls, or its not across the board and the horse can't climb walls. Its magic that lets the mouse hit for +10 damage and then its magic that lets the horse climb.

I guess if your GM lets horses climb walls then it will be a problem.
Then I guess you have made a house rule system for combat and strength? Since the RAW when some one changes shape (say with a metamorphosis animal spell) they don't change stats. So why does the mage do more damage as a mouse (he keeps his PS and damage bonus) than he Shaman?

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

eliakon wrote:I guess if your GM lets horses climb walls then it will be a problem.
Then I guess you have made a house rule system for combat and strength? Since the RAW when some one changes shape (say with a metamorphosis animal spell) they don't change stats. So why does the mage do more damage as a mouse (he keeps his PS and damage bonus) than he Shaman?

Im not sure what the RAW is (We don't use rifts stuff much if at all other then some modified druids out of rifts England, not even the magic spells), but the book says, In animal form, the character gets all the inherent abilities and defenses which that animal form may offer, but retains his own I.Q.
So you get the physical stats of the animal you are taking, but keep your mental stats and hp.
This stops problems like not being able to move in bear form because the mage has a strength of 7 and isn't strong enough to lift a bears arm, or doing a crazy amount of damage more than the body your in can handle. The only difference I have seen to this is Metamorph superior, when you change into a semblance of a supernatural creature you keep all your own stats.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Doh, rules as written,
however as the rules are written from what I read

This is what is says about the druid transformation
This is a complete transformation
from man to animal, with all the animal's abilities
(unlike the metamorphosis spells). Only the Were-Shaman's hit
points, S.D.C. and I.Q. remain unchanged. All other attributes
and natural abilities are those of the animal

This is what it says about the metamorphosis animal spell
In animal form, the character gets all the inherent abilities and
defenses which that animal form may offer, but retains his own I.Q.,
ability to speak, memory, S.D.C. and hit points.

For working details they seem the same except the spell lets the wizard talk, the other metamorphosis spells do mention differences but the animal one doesn't, and I cant see anything here that would make me think that you don't use the physical stats, it even points you towards getting out the monsters and animals book.

Is it written somewhere that it does specifically say the use keeps his physical stats, because when you specify HP, IQ and SDC stay the same, it also tends to imply the others will change.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”