Larger More Detailed "Pretty" Map

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rrank5377
D-Bee

Larger More Detailed "Pretty" Map

Unread post by rrank5377 »

Is there is a large, detailed map of the Palladium fantasy world? I'm looking for something that could be printed out to a poster size.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Re: Larger More Detailed "Pretty" Map

Unread post by zyanitevp »

rrank5377 wrote:Is there is a large, detailed map of the Palladium fantasy world? I'm looking for something that could be printed out to a poster size.

Here is that what you are looking for?
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

zyanitevp wrote:
rrank5377 wrote:Is there is a large, detailed map of the Palladium fantasy world? I'm looking for something that could be printed out to a poster size.

While very well done, that image isn't high enough resolution to do a poster from..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

While very well done, that image isn't high enough resolution to do a poster from..

The downloaded version of that is 2423 x 3135. I guess that might be not enough but thats 100 pixels an inch if you blow it up to be 24 inches wide and 31.5 tall. Native size it was 8.08 inches wide x 10.45 tall, when I used paint.net to blow it up to 24 wide it went to 24 x 31.5 and looked ok on my screen at "real size" If that's not enough then what is enough to do a poster?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
rrank5377
D-Bee

Thinyser wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

The downloaded version of that is 2423 x 3135. I guess that might be not enough but thats 100 pixels an inch if you blow it up to be 24 inches wide and 31.5 tall. Native size it was 8.08 inches wide x 10.45 tall, when I used paint.net to blow it up to 24 wide it went to 24 x 31.5 and looked ok on my screen at "real size" If that's not enough then what is enough to do a poster?

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys!
MADMANMIKE

Thinyser wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

I do my images at 10,000 pixels on the long side. this allows a standard print resolution of 300dpi at around 2ftx3ft.. At it's given resolution, blurring occurs when you enlarge it.
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

MADMANMIKE wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

I do my images at 10,000 pixels on the long side. this allows a standard print resolution of 300dpi at around 2ftx3ft.. At it's given resolution, blurring occurs when you enlarge it.

Wow thats a lot of pixels! :shock:

Yes I did see some blurring from enlarging it to 24" wide (3 times its normal width) but on my screen it didn't look too bad, but if I were to spend the $$ to have an actual poster sized print made I guess I would want it as sharp as possible.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

MADMANMIKE

Thinyser wrote:Wow thats a lot of pixels! :shock:

Yes I did see some blurring from enlarging it to 24" wide (3 times its normal width) but on my screen it didn't look too bad, but if I were to spend the $$ to have an actual poster sized print made I guess I would want it as sharp as possible.

Exactly. And poster sized prints aren't that expensive; right now at Staples you can get a 2ftx1.5ft poster for just under $10..
MADMANMIKE

Here's an example of the difference..

Today I uploaded This image to my DeviantArt page, after reducing it to 9x11.5 at 300dpi (it's being displayed at 600x767 dpi). However, the original is actually 7826x10000 dpi; to show that, I've cut a 2700x3450 (9x11.5 inches) section out of the image to show the detail (HERE). Compare that to THIS one which is blown up to poster size from the 2700x3450 dpi version.

The second one actually hurts my eyes to look at..
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

MADMANMIKE wrote:Here's an example of the difference..

Today I uploaded This image to my DeviantArt page, after reducing it to 9x11.5 at 300dpi (it's being displayed at 600x767 dpi). However, the original is actually 7826x10000 dpi; to show that, I've cut a 2700x3450 (9x11.5 inches) section out of the image to show the detail (HERE). Compare that to THIS one which is blown up to poster size from the 2700x3450 dpi version.

Its a good deal sharper but the detail does not seem to suffer that much. As an example I can still see the still see the white stitching on the belt of the man (peeking out from the left of the shield). Which at at more than a few paces away would not be crisp sharp edges to our eyes anyway. I kinda think the fuzzy one is actually more realistic in that sense. Once you get above a certain level of detail an image becomes surreal in its sharpness.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

MADMANMIKE wrote:Here's an example of the difference..

Its a good deal sharper but the detail does not seem to suffer that much. As an example I can still see the white stitching on the belt of the man (peeking out from the left of the shield). Which at at more than a few paces away would not be crisp sharp edges to our eyes anyway. I kinda think the fuzzy one is actually more realistic in that sense. Once you get above a certain level of detail an image becomes surreal in its sharpness.
Last edited by Thinyser on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I just used the outline one in the main book, cleaned up the lines and printed it to an a1 printer, worked out fine. I had to put the detail back in but that was fun to do also.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Doing poster-sized maps is a daunting prospect. GIMP tends to go belly-up when you get over 3-4000 pixels square. If I were to make a map that big, I'd probably try to do it in a vector program like Inkscape. Less detail, but far cleaner.

I've been thinking of doing a coast and river vector sketch of Palladium Fantasy as a way of tying together any future fantasy maps. It would definitely help keep things consistent.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
rrank5377
D-Bee

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the vector idea. I dropped the largest version of the map originally pointed out to me into Illustrator, enlarged it to about a 2' x 3' and put it into a PDF. I'm interested to see the results when I get it back from OfficeMax.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Doing a proper vector map would be a pretty big project in and of itself. The way I'd do it would be to get scans of every regional map out there, collage them together, and draw out the coast with a great many bezier curves. There are so many source maps that would have to be sized and fitted to get as accurate a coastline as possible, and many of them don't match up very well, which would require a whole lot of judgment calls.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Hotrod wrote:Doing a proper vector map would be a pretty big project in and of itself. The way I'd do it would be to get scans of every regional map out there, collage them together, and draw out the coast with a great many bezier curves. There are so many source maps that would have to be sized and fitted to get as accurate a coastline as possible, and many of them don't match up very well, which would require a whole lot of judgment calls.

Get on it!

Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The map of Bizantium and the Northern Islands that my friend and I created took up about 1.3 Gig of memory to make using
Photoshop. We're in the process of cleaning it up as we put in way to many details so hopefully that should cut some of it
down and make sure it look clear when it goes grayscale for the book. But despite the fixes and edits, it will still look far
better than the ones in Adventure in the High Seas and Northern Hinterlands.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Reagren Wright wrote:The map of Bizantium and the Northern Islands that my friend and I created took up about 1.3 Gig of memory to make using
Photoshop. We're in the process of cleaning it up as we put in way to many details so hopefully that should cut some of it
down and make sure it look clear when it goes grayscale for the book. But despite the fixes and edits, it will still look far

If Kevin keeps it as you present it.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:The map of Bizantium and the Northern Islands that my friend and I created took up about 1.3 Gig of memory to make using

You could always try pitching to Kevin to offer the original, full version as a cheap or freebie download or a print that could be included for a small extra fee in the order. Or you could put it up on DeviantArt.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Just got an update on the map. They definitely plan on using it, mentioned some changes that we are happy to do, and
of course there might be some additional last minute updates, considering Kevin still needs to do some edits on the
manuscript. All in all glad the hard work we put into this thing is going to pay off, and I know the fans are really going to dig it.
I'm also hoping how we did this map sets the standard for future maps in Fantasy source books.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Reagren Wright wrote:Just got an update on the map. They definitely plan on using it, mentioned some changes that we are happy to do, and
of course there might be some additional last minute updates, considering Kevin still needs to do some edits on the
manuscript. All in all glad the hard work we put into this thing is going to pay off, and I know the fans are really going to dig it.
I'm also hoping how we did this map sets the standard for future maps in Fantasy source books.

That's awesome to hear! I'm always stoked when they use the author's ideas with minimal editing. Turns out better that way.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:Just got an update on the map. They definitely plan on using it, mentioned some changes that we are happy to do, and

Considering that Palladium-based cartography has been a hobby of mine for the last year, I have to say that I'm stoked about seeing this map.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

awesome
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Theres a colour my of the Palladium world I did in my sig
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
rrank5377
D-Bee

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone! What I ended up doing is downloading the original size of the first link given and then using Adobe Illustrator, blew it up to a 2'x3' PDF. I had that printed on a Matte stock at Office Max and it turned out pretty well. The printout is only a little pixellated, and only upon a close inspection.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I usually have to make adjustments to brighten my maps before I print them. How's the color/contrast on your matte poster?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
rrank5377
D-Bee

Hotrod wrote:I usually have to make adjustments to brighten my maps before I print them. How's the color/contrast on your matte poster?

It's a little dark, but overall not bad for my use. There are some parts that should be a tad lighter, but not enough to mess around with.
Reagren Wright

Map update :( :) . Unfortunately during a test run, when the map was shrunk to fit 8 1/2 by 11 and turned greyscale,
some of the detail was lost. Also some texture changes had to be made. Now the argument could be made by some that the
great details that are now gone wouldn't be an issue if the map and the book was a pdf file. True enough, no argument
from me on that. Then again, when I look at my eight ceiling high book shelves, and I gaze fondly at the one desinated
specifically for Palladium Books and a seperate one just for Rifters, I get this nostalgic feeling that I simply can't shake. If
Kate on the computer and Maggie is using the IPAD, I can still read a book. I can drop it and its not broke. The book can't
accidently get deleated nor do I have to buy a new device if I want to view it. The book doesn't have to be recharged. The
book will last beyond my life time and if I wanted to pass on to my child (maybe when I'm in my 80s or to blind to see). So
yes I'm a little disappointed that the five months we worked on this thing that some of the detail is lost, then again Kevin
might change a few things, either way I'm still proud about how it looks and will be appear in the book.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

What a shame! I was hoping they'd put it on the back instead of using the back cover like a billboard like they do with most of their books. Cover prints are so much better for details than interior ones.

Really, it's best to know what the intended presentation is right from the start, but you can console yourselves. It's far better to have something too big and detailed get shrunk down than to have something too small and vague get blown up.

You could always ask Kevin to offer the map as a Drivethru freebie PDF as part of the book's marketing campaign.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright

Hotrod wrote:What a shame! I was hoping they'd put it on the back instead of using the back cover like a billboard like they do with most of their books. Cover prints are so much better for details than interior ones.

Really, it's best to know what the intended presentation is right from the start, but you can console yourselves. It's far better to have something too big and detailed get shrunk down than to have something too small and vague get blown up.

You could always ask Kevin to offer the map as a Drivethru freebie PDF as part of the book's marketing campaign.

Actually WE did the test run ourselves. Want to make everything as easy as possible for the crew.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”