The Palladium Fantasy RPG Society

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DeadTOm
D-Bee
Location: Missoula, MT USA - That place that's really far from everything.

Re: The Palladium Fantasy RPG Society

Unread post by DeadTOm »

To reiterate, just to try and eliminate any possible confusion:

No one has an issue with MAs utilizing the guild and running games as a part of it. In fact, I think that would be highly encouraged and beneficial to the player community as a whole. By all means, the more GMs and exposure we can get, the better. Also, this might be a good selling point for the MA program, if we get it going.

What we don't want, is for the guild itself to be run by, or somehow fall under the organizational umbrella of, the MA program. We'd like it to remain independent.

Make sense?
Playing RPGs since 1989. Starting with TMNTOS. Love the Palladium system.

Look for me on Roll20.net
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Damian Magecraft, Jaymz, and myself are no longer associated with this project for various reasons. We wish Hobbes and crew the best of luck in this endeavor.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
DeadTOm
D-Bee

Unread post by DeadTOm »

We had a very constructive hangout tonight, with five attendees. We'll keep updating this thread as progress is made, and give specifics when we can.

For now, we're starting with the core book and working through it in a coherent manner. We're starting with character generation and hope to have an agreed upon system in place in the next few weeks. From there, we'll move on to combat, spell casting, races, classes, etc. Then the world, how adventures are to be written, and so on.

We do expect this to take a while, several months. We're working on setting up a reasonable time frame. The upcoming holiday season will certainly throw a monkey wrench into things.

At the moment, the council is on Facebook, doing video chats over G+ Hangouts. If anyone else would like to be a member of the council, contact URLeader Hobbes for details.

everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

Cinos wrote:the issue with this idea as a whole, and the reason why D&D / Pathfinder can do this is the strength, or rather the reliability, of the rule set. As a player, I know what rules I will be playing with in Pathfinder, and there's not a lot of room for variations from GM to GM. I can be pretty sure that the character sheet I use with one GM will be good with every GM I play with.

Palladium basically works on an opposing principle. There are -huge- sections of races and classes that live in this murky realm where some GM's would consider them fair game, while others consider them too good or disruptive. Meaning there would absolutely need to be a sort of social contract agreed upon as to which classes and races are okay and which are banned (and we're talking about a lot of them, PF has the advantage being smaller than Rifts). Then it comes to the issue that so much in Palladium is house ruled, between how to move in combat, and how some spells work to cut their power down from 'busted good'.

I agree with everything you wrote here. However, on G+ there is FLAILSNAILS which does this exact thing: a community of OSR players of a variety of systems and house rules and it seems to work out pretty easily.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

everloss wrote:
Cinos wrote:the issue with this idea as a whole, and the reason why D&D / Pathfinder can do this is the strength, or rather the reliability, of the rule set. As a player, I know what rules I will be playing with in Pathfinder, and there's not a lot of room for variations from GM to GM. I can be pretty sure that the character sheet I use with one GM will be good with every GM I play with.

Palladium basically works on an opposing principle. There are -huge- sections of races and classes that live in this murky realm where some GM's would consider them fair game, while others consider them too good or disruptive. Meaning there would absolutely need to be a sort of social contract agreed upon as to which classes and races are okay and which are banned (and we're talking about a lot of them, PF has the advantage being smaller than Rifts). Then it comes to the issue that so much in Palladium is house ruled, between how to move in combat, and how some spells work to cut their power down from 'busted good'.

I agree with everything you wrote here. However, on G+ there is FLAILSNAILS which does this exact thing: a community of OSR players of a variety of systems and house rules and it seems to work out pretty easily.

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.
everloss
Explorer

URLeader Hobbes wrote:
everloss wrote:

Got a link for this? Sounds interesting.

ask, and ye shall receive.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100302204888631415020
everloss
Explorer

I've been thinking about this the last couple days. The only hiccup in using Palladium Fantasy for an online community is editions. Personally, I would suggest using first edition, since it's simpler, however, that would exclude many of the great 2nd edition stuff, like Land of the Damned and Library of Bletherad.

If you use 2nd edition, I suggest excluding anything that is listed as "Optional" in the source material. But, that is the beauty of an organization like this. One GM can say NO, while another GM can say YES, and a third GM can say Yes, but lets work together to compromise. There doesn't have to be a standard, unifying, system with all the same exact rules and options.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

everloss wrote:I've been thinking about this the last couple days. The only hiccup in using Palladium Fantasy for an online community is editions. Personally, I would suggest using first edition, since it's simpler, however, that would exclude many of the great 2nd edition stuff, like Land of the Damned and Library of Bletherad.

If you use 2nd edition, I suggest excluding anything that is listed as "Optional" in the source material. But, that is the beauty of an organization like this. One GM can say NO, while another GM can say YES, and a third GM can say Yes, but lets work together to compromise. There doesn't have to be a standard, unifying, system with all the same exact rules and options.

And that defeats the core premise behind Organized Play.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
DeadTOm
D-Bee

Unread post by DeadTOm »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
everloss wrote:I've been thinking about this the last couple days. The only hiccup in using Palladium Fantasy for an online community is editions. Personally, I would suggest using first edition, since it's simpler, however, that would exclude many of the great 2nd edition stuff, like Land of the Damned and Library of Bletherad.

Which is not what we're doing. It will not be a home brew free-for-all. We are standardizing it.

everloss
Explorer

DeadTOm wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

Which is not what we're doing. It will not be a home brew free-for-all. We are standardizing it.

You're right, I started thinking outside the thread, and not about the issues mentioned in thread. I apologize.

In that case, having a small group of people standardize the rules would probably be the easiest solution, as several have already mentioned.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Next Palladium Guild Google Hangout on Thursday 8-10 PM EST.

I think we can go over a rough outline of a schedule and also go over the results of this past round of votes. In addition please feel free to bring up any items/concerns you may want to share with the group, or that we may have missed.

Hope everyone has had a good week and look forward to chatting on Thursday!

Link to be posted here and on the groups FB Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Wont make it, 10am-midday Friday for me
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g7lbalr7jbolpujwcmwkseuhfqa

Thats the link for tonight's hangout. Feel free to stop in at 8!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”