Whats your favorite Magic Item?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Whats your favorite Magic Item?

Unread post by Thinyser »

Two categories: Limited use (ie single use, 3 charges, etc.)

and Unlimited use (things like magic cloaks, weapons, rings, etc. {not to include rune weapons/items})

EDIT: Please only canon & Rifter items, and if possible tell us the book it comes from. :-)

EDIT2: Whoops I didn't specify PFRPG friendly items only (so no TW or Bug weapons, HU is a Maybe since its more or less like rune weapons but less powerfull.) I thought it would be understood based on this being in the PFRPG forum. My bad.
Last edited by Thinyser on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Whats your favorite Magic Item?

Unread post by say652 »

I like the heroes unlimited enchanted objects, because they function off of a ppe pool in the item.

I like the draws energy type better than the limited uses per day Because. A mage can use the ppe pool of the item to cast other spells or power the item with his own ppe.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I'm a fan of the Entity TK Rifle listed on BoM p258 (originally printed in Splyn Dimensional Marketplace?).

If you're strong enough and don't mind a big ugly weapon, the Xiticix TK Rifle is also excellent (and with improved range).

Better TK weapons can be made via Technowizardry, but nothing canon.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Whoops!
Sorry I didn't specify PFRPG friendly items only (so no TW or Bug weapons, HU is a "Maybe" since its more or less like rune weapons but less powerfull.) I thought it would be understood based on this being in the PFRPG forum. My bad.

Carry on!
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Tent of the Environment.

;) A good portion on my PF chars have a custom magic item derivative of this, Underthings of the Environment. :D

Then there is a Chain Lighting (LoB) talisman for personal protection.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Tent of the Environment.

;) A good portion on my PF chars have a custom magic item derivative of this, Underthings of the Environment. :D

Then there is a Chain Lighting (LoB) talisman for personal protection.

Love the Environmental Tent and underthings of the environment is like turning it up to 11 !

Not to get off subject but how do you run chain lightning? My former GM ran it that it did 1d6 per target and could hit targets equal to the casters level (so a 6th level caster could hit 6 targets for 1d6 each totaling 6d6 which fit with the 1d6/level). But to be honest now that I actually sit and read and reread the spell it seems that it would do 1d6/level to each target and hit a number of targets equal to caster's level. Which makes it much much more potent. This way a 6th level caster can hit 6 targets for 6d6 each for only 40 PPE.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The chain lighting spell says it hits one Enemy Target per level of the spell caster, doing 1d6 damage per level of the spell caster to each target hit.

I have not been a GM who had a player who used this spell, only as a player who has used the spell.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Might of palladium!

Transformable weapons
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The chain lighting spell says it hits one Enemy Target per level of the spell caster, doing 1d6 damage per level of the spell caster to each target hit.

I have not been a GM who had a player who used this spell, only as a player who has used the spell.

Well see it doesn't specifically say that it does the listed damage to each target or spread out amongst all the targets. I think you're interpretation is correct and my old GM's was wrong.

1d6/lvl to each target and one target per level (no double hitting targets) is how it shall be in my games from now on. :-)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

You are right, it does not say if the damage is a Total or per each.

But you are wrong.....in her game your GM was correct, because of the two rules about GMs

1) The GM is always right.
2) If the GM is wrong see rule #1.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You are right, it does not say if the damage is a Total or per each.

But you are wrong.....in her game your GM was correct, because of the two rules about GMs

1) The GM is always right.
2) If the GM is wrong see rule #1.

While I mostly agree with the sentiment, I hate seeing it formulated that way. I would prefer to simply state:

"If the GM has made a ruling on some point and is ready to proceed with the game, then the game will proceed according to the GM's ruling. Any further arguing of the point is counterproductive."

Or

"If the GM is no longer interested in listening to arguments for how he should have ruled differently, it's time to move on with the game."

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Environmental Tent
Deathkiss
Faerie Food
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

kiralon wrote:Environmental Tent
One of my favorites too.
Deathkiss
Deathkiss is a Rune Weapon so not allowed for the purposes of this thread :badbad:
Faerie Food
Interesting, is it a favorite because you like to dose other players/NPCs with it or because as a GM you like to dose players with it? or some other reason?

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Thinyser wrote:
kiralon wrote:Environmental Tent
One of my favorites too.
Deathkiss
Deathkiss is a Rune Weapon so not allowed for the purposes of this thread :badbad:
Faerie Food
Interesting, is it a favorite because you like to dose other players/NPCs with it or because as a GM you like to dose players with it? or some other reason?

As a DM I like to entice the players with it with situations that eating the faerie food will be quicker or easier for the players if they don't take the effects of the faerie food into account, often has hilarious results. (The purple, floating, 6ft tall bearman with green frog legs talking in bubbles always comes to mind. The party believed the fairy that said the food would get them out of the trapped tower, the tower had no windows or doors, was effectively indestructible and the only entrance was on the roof, they had come down 7 stories, but on the 2nd story down they found a snakes nest and one of the snakes bit a party member, so they lit fire to the snake nest knowing the tower was wooden construction inside, and then continued further down without putting the fire out, in fact they encouraged it to grow)
and spiking your enemies drinks and food with it as a player usually has fun results.

Deathkiss always deserves an honourable mention, but I will swap It for the Ultimax Deathstone as a DM and the Chalice of dragonwright as a player.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Crystal Magic items are my favorites. In particular:

Controller Star. It allows you to permanently cure insanity and mind wipe without permanent ISP expenditure. I especially like the insanity cure.

The Crystal Goblet. You get a case-dependent resurrection (doesn't work if cause of death is fire, cold, poison, or magic), restoration, healing, or antidote. I'm especially fond of the Fountain of Youth ability, which transforms the drinker into a 20-year-old 1st-level version of himself/herself. Talk about a double-edged sword! Use this sucker on your uber-powerful enemies.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

kiralon wrote:As a DM I like to entice the players with it with situations that eating the faerie food will be quicker or easier for the players if they don't take the effects of the faerie food into account, often has hilarious results. (The purple, floating, 6ft tall bearman with green frog legs talking in bubbles always comes to mind. The party believed the fairy that said the food would get them out of the trapped tower, the tower had no windows or doors, was effectively indestructible and the only entrance was on the roof, they had come down 7 stories, but on the 2nd story down they found a snakes nest and one of the snakes bit a party member, so they lit fire to the snake nest knowing the tower was wooden construction inside, and then continued further down without putting the fire out, in fact they encouraged it to grow)
So did they get out because they got high on faerie food? :lol:

and spiking your enemies drinks and food with it as a player usually has fun results.
Yeah they can be fun, evil, but fun.

Deathkiss always deserves an honourable mention, but I will swap It for the Ultimax Deathstone as a DM and the Chalice of dragonwright as a player.
I haven't heard of either of these. Where are they located? (book please, anyone?) :?

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

I thought for sure the Chalice of Dragonwright would be in Dragons and Gods but I'm not seeing it.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Thinyser wrote:
kiralon wrote:As a DM I like to entice the players with it with situations that eating the faerie food will be quicker or easier for the players if they don't take the effects of the faerie food into account, often has hilarious results. (The purple, floating, 6ft tall bearman with green frog legs talking in bubbles always comes to mind. The party believed the fairy that said the food would get them out of the trapped tower, the tower had no windows or doors, was effectively indestructible and the only entrance was on the roof, they had come down 7 stories, but on the 2nd story down they found a snakes nest and one of the snakes bit a party member, so they lit fire to the snake nest knowing the tower was wooden construction inside, and then continued further down without putting the fire out, in fact they encouraged it to grow)
So did they get out because they got high on faerie food? :lol:

Yeah they can be fun, evil, but fun.

I haven't heard of either of these. Where are they located? (book please, anyone?) :?

Tombs of Gersidi First edition main book for the magic items.
Using the faerie food that makes bubbles when you speak and you only hear what is said when the bubbles pop is awesome against enemy spellcasters :D

and yes, they got out because they got high on faerie food. I laughed so hard I cried, especially considering they had to go back to town for help and could only hop, burp, float or go around posing topless for the women of the town saying "look at my muscles" while flexing their mostly nonexistant muscles (which meant they wouldn't wear armour, as it would get in the way of them posing).
but they did get out, alive hehe
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Hotrod wrote:Crystal Magic items are my favorites. In particular:

Controller Star. It allows you to permanently cure insanity and mind wipe without permanent ISP expenditure. I especially like the insanity cure.

The Crystal Goblet. You get a case-dependent resurrection (doesn't work if cause of death is fire, cold, poison, or magic), restoration, healing, or antidote. I'm especially fond of the Fountain of Youth ability, which transforms the drinker into a 20-year-old 1st-level version of himself/herself. Talk about a double-edged sword! Use this sucker on your uber-powerful enemies.

Sweet. I love the crystal magic items too.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

kiralon wrote:Tombs of Gersidi First edition main book for the magic items.
Darn I don't have that... in fact I didn't even know that was a Palladium title. :-(

Using the faerie food that makes bubbles when you speak and you only hear what is said when the bubbles pop is awesome against enemy spellcasters :D

and yes, they got out because they got high on faerie food. I laughed so hard I cried, especially considering they had to go back to town for help and could only hop, burp, float or go around posing topless for the women of the town saying "look at my muscles" while flexing their mostly nonexistant muscles (which meant they wouldn't wear armour, as it would get in the way of them posing).
but they did get out, alive hehe

Glad they survived the burning tower. :lol:

Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

My favorite generic items are

Combat
Might of palladium - Potions (Don't leave home without them. Adds one additional attack and a bonus of +2 to strike, parry, dodge, and damage!)
Fleet Feet (Ring) - Double speed, attack and possible PP bonuses!
Or any Attribute boosting ring
Poison - Basilisk's Eye (blood poison): For damage and paralysis effect
Weapon: Dwarven Made Battle Axe +2 strike/parry and +4 damage (Enchantments:Super-Sharpness: +4(8) to damage, lowers the required roll for a critical strike by two points; Armor Piercing: Bypass the A.R. of target; Returns to Wielder When Thrown) - Truely a killer when combined with Blade Mage powers or other weapon enhancing spells.

Armor:
Full Plate Dwarven Made - AR: 17 S.D.C: 210 (Enchantments: Armor Rating, making it A.R. 18 ; Magic S.D.C.: +200, making it 410; Regenerating Armor (S.D.C.); Weightless) - Simple yet tough!

Travel
Fly as an Eagle (Amulet) - You can travel a long ways in 1 or 2 hours a day. Screw all the encounters in the mountain pass just fly over it.
Flying Carpet - Now you can fly the full group around.
Enviroment Tent - You got to have on of these!

Clothing
Cloak of Guise / Suit of Colors (Hybid Item) - Instant wardrobe
Enchanted Bags - You need something to hold and hide your treasure
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Lukterran wrote:My favorite generic items are

Combat
Might of palladium - Potions (Don't leave home without them. Adds one additional attack and a bonus of +2 to strike, parry, dodge, and damage!)
Fleet Feet (Ring) - Double speed, attack and possible PP bonuses!
Or any Attribute boosting ring
Poison - Basilisk's Eye (blood poison): For damage and paralysis effect
Weapon: Dwarven Made Battle Axe +2 strike/parry and +4 damage (Enchantments:Super-Sharpness: +4(8) to damage, lowers the required roll for a critical strike by two points; Armor Piercing: Bypass the A.R. of target; Returns to Wielder When Thrown) - Truely a killer when combined with Blade Mage powers or other weapon enhancing spells.

Armor:
Full Plate Dwarven Made - AR: 17 S.D.C: 210 (Enchantments: Armor Rating, making it A.R. 18 ; Magic S.D.C.: +200, making it 410; Regenerating Armor (S.D.C.); Weightless) - Simple yet tough!

Travel
Fly as an Eagle (Amulet) - You can travel a long ways in 1 or 2 hours a day. Screw all the encounters in the mountain pass just fly over it.
Flying Carpet - Now you can fly the full group around.
Enviroment Tent - You got to have on of these!

Clothing
Cloak of Guise / Suit of Colors (Hybid Item) - Instant wardrobe
Enchanted Bags - You need something to hold and hide your treasure
Thats a great list. Thanks for posting!
Two characters in my group have the Ring of Fleet Feet. It is one of my favorites by far. 10 min of FF 3 times a day, on a Jeridu Knife thrower and his twin brother the longbowman (who can wield 3 longbows at once) :eek:
Yeah we tear stuff up! :twisted: The entire group is Jeridu so in general we tend to tear stuff up but these 2 when jacked up on fleet feet are a whirl wind of death.

Our godling can fly and has a huge lift carry capacity so we can clip on to a special harness and all dangle on a rope under him as he flies us. Keeps our hands (all 6 of them) free to shoot bows or whatever. Its not as comfortable as a magic carpet would be but it gets the job done. I did limit the altitude that he could fly so that they couldn't simply fly over the mountains into the Land of the Damned. So they had to trek through on foot.

I also didn't let them have environmental tents so they each had their own 2 person tent (which is really about big enough for 1 Jeridu and his/her pack) and made them use the create wood spell to have firewood since they were well above the treeline for most of the time. They each had a god gifted talisman of sustain that would last for 30 days on each use and had 3 uses so they could go 3 months without food and water and limited sleep

We also each have a dimensional envelop that is enchanted into a 6'x6' tarp so we can fold them up and take them with us. Its technically not allowed by canon but Dim Pockets are just too damn small!

Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

Enviro tents are nice, but none of my PCs ever use them...so sad.

My top 3 are:

1) Ironhide Ring from Western Empires - especially useful for the assassin guilds that I run as NPCs
2) Crystal Portals from Eastern Territory
3) Any crystal item from Island of the Edge of the World

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”