Official Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Official Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

EDIT: IN THE STORE NOW!!!

Free Sample!

Set 1: O.C.C.s

Set 2: Monster Races

Set 3: N.P.C. Encounters

Set 4: Undead

Set 5: O.C.C.s Female
/edit

Kev mentioned the Paper minis coming soon in the latest update so I thought I'd give some details.

I've been sporting a fancy sig pic over the past few years off and on that shows some of the art I've done for this project.. There have been a lot of ups and downs, the worst of which was a complete loss of finished work when my portable hard drive died last summer.

But things change, and I now have a good process for making the minis. My new sig pic is one of the free samples (not to scale) that will be available first; the "publisher preview" will have four gladiators (Human, Elf, Dwarf and Wolfen) a simple arena map and a single page with an abridged set of Palladium Fantasy Combat rules; Oh, and four NPC cards, one for each mini, so that those rules can be put to use in a simple mini game that highlights the Palladium combat style.

Originally I had planned to do NPC cards for each mini I made, but that turned out to be far too time consuming so I've abandonded it. Price points haven't been determined yet. Package one will have 24 minis, one to represent each of the official character classes in the main PFRPG 2E book. Set two will have a variety of Goblins, Orcs, Ogres & Trolls, totaling 28 minis. Each package will come with two versions of each mini, one with a thick black outline and the other without. All can be assembled in 'A-frame' fashion very quickly, or assembled with the included bases to be flat in a 'T-frame' style. The ones with the outlines are designed for the 'T-frame' style and meant to be trimmed to the outline to give the figures a silhouette.

While only two sets (and the free sample) are completed now and awaiting approval, I do have enough minis already done for another couple of sets, and am working on an entirely female version of the first set. At the moment I am also designing paper minis for Heroes Unlimited/Aliens Unlimited and Phase World, and these will be used in the games I run at the booth at GenCon (along with some PF ones that aren't in any sets [yet]).

Any questions?
Last edited by MADMANMIKE on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Official Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It would be nice if they were stickers so you could mount them on something more durable.

But I guess you could, once you've bought them, make your own stickers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
MADMANMIKE

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It would be nice if they were stickers so you could mount them on something more durable.

But I guess you could, once you've bought them, make your own stickers.

They're meant to be printed on cardstock; I printed some at Staples for a little over a dollar a page..
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

:P
I'm a sheetmetal worker so my brain went to applying them to sheetmetal bits.
:-D
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Kev mentioned the Paper minis coming soon in the latest update so I thought I'd give some details.

I've been sporting a fancy sig pic over the past few years off and on that shows some of the art I've done for this project.. There have been a lot of ups and downs, the worst of which was a complete loss of finished work when my portable hard drive died last summer.

But things change, and I now have a good process for making the minis. My new sig pic is one of the free samples (not to scale) that will be available first; the "publisher preview" will have four gladiators (Human, Elf, Dwarf and Wolfen) a simple arena map and a single page with an abridged set of Palladium Fantasy Combat rules; Oh, and four NPC cards, one for each mini, so that those rules can be put to use in a simple mini game that highlights the Palladium combat style.

Originally I had planned to do NPC cards for each mini I made, but that turned out to be far too time consuming so I've abandonded it. Price points haven't been determined yet. Package one will have 24 minis, one to represent each of the official character classes in the main PFRPG 2E book. Set two will have a variety of Goblins, Orcs, Ogres & Trolls, totaling 28 minis. Each package will come with two versions of each mini, one with a thick black outline and the other without. All can be assembled in 'A-frame' fashion very quickly, or assembled with the included bases to be flat in a 'T-frame' style. The ones with the outlines are designed for the 'T-frame' style and meant to be trimmed to the outline to give the figures a silhouette.

While only two sets (and the free sample) are completed now and awaiting approval, I do have enough minis already done for another couple of sets, and am working on an entirely female version of the first set. At the moment I am also designing paper minis for Heroes Unlimited/Aliens Unlimited and Phase World, and these will be used in the games I run at the booth at GenCon (along with some PF ones that aren't in any sets [yet]).

Any questions?

I have seen some RPgames using "tokens" (1 inch, 2 inch and up round cut-outs) with just a head shot of the character. Any plans for something like that?
Also will the current minis fit in "standard" slotted plastic bases? (I find those stand the test of time better than the a-frame).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
MADMANMIKE

Damian Magecraft wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:Any questions?

I have seen some RPgames using "tokens" (1 inch, 2 inch and up round cut-outs) with just a head shot of the character. Any plans for something like that?
Also will the current minis fit in "standard" slotted plastic bases? (I find those stand the test of time better than the a-frame).

The cutting board in the image I linked above has a one inch grid.. If assembled in the t-frame style they are quite sturdy, but you could easily cut them without the base and put them on standard plastic bases, yes.

Included in each set will be 3 terrain options for bases (these samples are at the actual scale unlike my sig pic). Glue the circle to the bottom of the flaps and fold the half circles over and glue to the top.

Human and smaller sized minis have a 1 inch base and are set in a frame that puts them about 6ft tall for humans and proportionate for races below (see my height chart), larger will scale up.

I haven't seen plastic bases in circulation since I picked up a first edition of Talisman back in 1992, so I designed them for ease without. Buy the .pdf and all you'll need is a cutting tool (preferably a good hobby knife and a cutting board), card stock to print on and some glue.

If people want plastic bases for them instead of using the included ones, a google search should find you some online. Remember that making A-Frame or Flats can be done with either included style, so there are 24 originals in the first set, but two versions of each giving you a total of 48. I'll see if I can take a pic of two next to each other here in a bit and put it up to show the difference/similarities.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I think they should use the druid pic from the RMB, same artwork that my avatar pict is from, for the druid char pict. :D
MADMANMIKE

Okay, here is a side by side of the Priest of Light mini, both in T-frame with the bases, one without the outline, one with and trimmed to it.

Priest of Light mini Front
Priest of Light mini Back

Note that these were a test print and don't reflect the final package; as you can see in my preview image, there is a bit of a white line around the figure within the black outline, and that's being added to all figures in the packages.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I think they should use the druid pic from the RMB, same artwork that my avatar pict is from, for the druid char pict. :D

Sorry, but I'm no Keith Parkinson. To use that image I would have to separate it from it's background, shrink it to a level that most of the detail would be lost, and then miraculously copy his painting style to do the image of the back side. Not happening. I have a male druid in the first pack that could pass for a barbarian, and a female druid in the all female pack (probably pack three or four) that is not like the image from RIFTS.

Paper minis have been around for some time and have an established customer base. I'm trying to bridge the gap between that base and Palladium fans, hopefully getting the mini fans to buy a few Palladium products and see what they've been missing. To that end the abridged combat rules in the sample pack and the way in which the minis themselves are presented (merging the two primary styles used in the industry).

I should note that I've gotten in the habit of providing paper minis of characters I'm commissioned to do, so if you commission me to do your favorite character, the portrait will come with a mini version.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Wish I had these a a few years ago. Some of my friends were playing warhammer quest, so I converted the rules and made palladium quest. Quick quest to run around beat up a few things with a some beers was awesome fun, I've always hoped palladium would release something along these lines that you can just pull out for a couple of hours of fun on a Saturday night, and warhammer quest stuff was perfect for it.
MADMANMIKE

Sorry I didn't get to it sooner. Before my accident late in 2011, I was working day jobs with an average of 80 hours a week for several years. That only came to an end after working 376 hours in three weeks and four days; I fell asleep at the wheel of my FedEx van and crushed my leg rear-ending a tractor trailer. When I got out of the hospital 3 weeks later on Christmas Eve, I was staring down a very long recovery on worker's comp that allowed me to develop my process for these (and do the bulk of the spacecraft designs in my DA gallery).

Now I make a fraction of what I did working those insane hours, but I've got time with my three kids and time to follow my passions of art and writing (and supporting Palladium!).

If these do at all well, I will continue to design and release more packages. Heck, even if they don't sell well I'll probably keep doing them for love of the game and Palladium.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Good luck on these- I know I will be buying them!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I really never liked minitatures. The only time I have ever used them is when I have to run a large battle of 30+ npcs and it is hard to give a clear picture of the battle without them. Although for normal campaign and a regular encounter the aren't that useful.
MADMANMIKE

Lukterran wrote:I really never liked minitatures. The only time I have ever used them is when I have to run a large battle of 30+ npcs and it is hard to give a clear picture of the battle without them. Although for normal campaign and a regular encounter the aren't that useful.

Thank you for your opinion. There are many players in agreement with you, but this product is clearly aimed at the other gamers who enjoy having miniatures.

That said, I want it to be clear that this project was pitched and entirely done by me. It has not taken anyone at Palladium away from any other task they are engaged in, and in fact is just waiting for approval from Kev. He's working hard at Megaverse in Flames right now but hopes to get ten minutes to review and approve these by the end of the week so Wayne can put them in the store at DrivethruRPG.com.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
Lukterran wrote:I really never liked minitatures. The only time I have ever used them is when I have to run a large battle of 30+ npcs and it is hard to give a clear picture of the battle without them. Although for normal campaign and a regular encounter the aren't that useful.

Thank you for your opinion. There are many players in agreement with you, but this product is clearly aimed at the other gamers who enjoy having miniatures.

That said, I want it to be clear that this project was pitched and entirely done by me. It has not taken anyone at Palladium away from any other task they are engaged in, and in fact is just waiting for approval from Kev. He's working hard at Megaverse in Flames right now but hopes to get ten minutes to review and approve these by the end of the week so Wayne can put them in the store at DrivethruRPG.com.

Any plans for making a few for the other lines in the PB stable?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
MADMANMIKE

Damian Magecraft wrote:Any plans for making a few for the other lines in the PB stable?

From my original post:

MADMANMIKE wrote:At the moment I am also designing paper minis for Heroes Unlimited/Aliens Unlimited and Phase World, and these will be used in the games I run at the booth at GenCon (along with some PF ones that aren't in any sets [yet]).

Yes, I would like to design paper minis for all the lines, it just depends on the success or failure of these first Palladium Fantasy ones. I have at least 3 hours in each mini, and each package of 24+ is likely to sell for less than $10, the lions share of which will go to Palladium. There's some math for you to mull over..

If I make a few bucks it will be worth continuing to develop them.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I just hope you still have time to do other artwork. Like say you get commissioned to do artwork for
oh say a Palladium Fantasy book that has a King, some Merchant princes, and priests like you did
for official Timiro material that appeared in Rifter a little while ago :D .
MADMANMIKE

Reagren Wright wrote:I just hope you still have time to do other artwork. Like say you get commissioned to do artwork for
oh say a Palladium Fantasy book that has a King, some Merchant princes, and priests like you did
for official Timiro material that appeared in Rifter a little while ago :D .

I'd love to get my art on that project! I've collected some choice ancient desert building sets that will be handy for at least some of it..
MADMANMIKE

Now that things are going to the printer there's a good chance that these will be in the store at drivethrurpg.com very soon. In case you didn't notice, I've been rotating my sig pic to each of the four gladiator minis that will come as part of the free sample pack.

Today I've been putting together some of my other designs for Elves, Dwarves, Peasants & Nobles, and Undead..
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Looking good man. I'll have to pick them up eventually.
MADMANMIKE

Jerell wrote:Looking good man. I'll have to pick them up eventually.

Thanks!

And eventually can now probably be as early as tomorrow!

Finishing some minor edits in the morning and then they should go up.

Teasers:

I put a collage image on each package that puts the front-side art of each mini in the set in one group shot.

Set 1: O.C.C.s

Set 2: Monster Races
Last edited by MADMANMIKE on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zyanitevp
Champion

Congrats MMM!!!
My Twitter
Image Image
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

You do realize your going to have to make some races now wearing sailor, naval, and pirate
uniforms. As well as a fisher (a fisherman), a marine, serpent chaser (a crazy fisher who
hunts sea serpents-think Captain Ahab or Quint from Jaws.
MADMANMIKE

Reagren Wright wrote:You do realize your going to have to make some races now wearing sailor, naval, and pirate
uniforms. As well as a fisher (a fisherman), a marine, serpent chaser (a crazy fisher who
hunts sea serpents-think Captain Ahab or Quint from Jaws.

Bottom Right hand corner, second row, second Hobgoblin from the right..

8)
Last edited by MADMANMIKE on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MADMANMIKE

IN THE STORE NOW!!!

Free Sample!

Set 1!

Set 2!
zyanitevp
Champion

Bought one of each- good luck!
BTW, seemed a little pricey in comparison to some of the other like products out for other systems- but wanted to support you in particular, and Palladium in general.
My Twitter
Image Image
MADMANMIKE

zyanitevp wrote:Bought one of each- good luck!

Thanks, it's much appreciated!

zyanitevp wrote:BTW, seemed a little pricey in comparison to some of the other like products out for other systems- but wanted to support you in particular, and Palladium in general.

Thanks for that too, I'm flattered.

I've spent a bit over two years developing these minis and have researched the market extensively; the average price works out to between $.15 and $.30 per mini; mine are between $.20 and $.25. All of the feedback I've gotten from people who's primary hobby is paper minis is that they are worth the price I've set them at.
MADMANMIKE

New information in the latest press release!

I'm working on a Great Horned Dragon mini that should be in the store within a couple of weeks; I expect to have one assembled at GenCon, so someone will probably post pictures somewhere by this time next week...
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Will you be doing minis for Rifts or HU........now that i think about it, i would love to see zombie minis for DR
The Dragon Has Spoken
MADMANMIKE

Snake Eyes wrote:Will you be doing minis for Rifts or HU........now that i think about it, i would love to see zombie minis for DR

Time will tell. I actually started this whole project when I decided to do minis for the Heroes Unlimited game I ran at the last Open House; I have some Phase World minis I've designed that I'll probably have on display at GenCon, but they were a one off for the adventure I'm running.

Yes, if the minis sell well, I intend to branch out into other Palladium settings. If you look at my gallery at deviantart (linked in the sig) I do have several images I've done set in RIFTS, so it's not out of the question, although with existing regular minis, I don't know..
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Very impressive stuff you have on deviantart.......i actually DLed a couple of the character sheets you designed....

Keep up the good work....i do hope the minis on driveThruRPG sell well
The Dragon Has Spoken
MADMANMIKE

Snake Eyes wrote:Very impressive stuff you have on deviantart.......i actually DLed a couple of the character sheets you designed....

Keep up the good work....i do hope the minis on driveThruRPG sell well

Thanks, I'm hoping the do well too. I'd love to keep doing them and branching out into Palladium's other properties.
MADMANMIKE

I've posted several images of the minis that I had on display at GenCon Here. Several people seemed exited about them.
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

MADMANMIKE wrote:I've posted several images of the minis that I had on display at GenCon Here. Several people seemed exited about them.

Those minis are pretty cool! Not sure if I'd use them with my current group which is very small, but if I were to ever add people to the group, I would definitely consider it. The price is fine for them also.

Can't wait to see more of them if you ever do more then the Great Horned that is coming.
MADMANMIKE

Thanks. The skeleton warriors you see in one of the pics are from a set of Undead, and there is also an almost finished set of additional OCCs that includes Nobles, Peasants, thugs, guards and the like.

I'm developing a set of elves and dwarves, a set of OCCs like the first that's all female, and working towards a set of Wolfen as well.. These all depend on the sales from the first two sets though, so spread the word. :D
GrampaAllen
D-Bee

Unread post by GrampaAllen »

I wish you had your Phase world ones up as well but I will buy Fantasy just to keep the ball rolling.
Reagren Wright

MADMANMIKE wrote:Thanks. The skeleton warriors you see in one of the pics are from a set of Undead, and there is also an almost finished set of additional OCCs that includes Nobles, Peasants, thugs, guards and the like.

I'm developing a set of elves and dwarves, a set of OCCs like the first that's all female, and working towards a set of Wolfen as well.. These all depend on the sales from the first two sets though, so spread the word. :D

Looking good man :D . When the opportunity presents itself I'll be purchasing some of these fantasy miniatures.
MADMANMIKE

A little update here;

Last week I turned in 3 more sets of Palladium Fantasy minis and this week a fourth bring the total to 6 sets; I'm waiting on an art contest prize to get some resources before I start the Elf set, but Monday's turn in was a set of 28 dwarves.

Also, I had a commission a few months ago that led me to do a Glitterboy; you can see that model on the cover of the next Rifter, so with some work I can put the power armors together. Not sure when I'll get to a RIFTS set though..

Here are some preview images of the next few sets, just waiting for Wayne to get a chance to upload them to drivethru:

Set 3: NPC Encounters
Set 4: Undead
Set 5: OCCs Female
Set 6: Dwarves
Reagren Wright

All look great man :ok: . You plan on having a way to sell these things at the Open House?
MADMANMIKE

Reagren Wright wrote:All look great man :ok: . You plan on having a way to sell these things at the Open House?

Well, I'd like to have the capital built up to print a few sets to sell there, but I can't begin to guess whether or not that's likely at this point; hand to mouth with a family of six makes the extras a bit more difficult..
MADMANMIKE

Update: I have it on good authority that the new sets I've recently completed should be in the catalog at DrivethruRPG over the next few weeks.

My new sig pic is a preview of the next project I'm working on now, RIFTS paper minis; these are the first set, Adventurers.
MADMANMIKE

I spoke to Kev yesterday and the goal is to get Wayne to put sets 3-6 up by midweek.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Love the NPCs, the dwarves, and the women are okay. However, what happened to mummies and mummy immortalus?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
MADMANMIKE

pblackcrow wrote:Love the NPCs, the dwarves, and the women are okay. However, what happened to mummies and mummy immortalus?

Mummies are far less common than skeletons, zombies, and even vampires. I'm thinking of doing a set of rare/exotic enemies at some point in the future..

Right now though I'm working up four adventures for the Open House and GenCon, so I'm tied up. I do have room for a commission or two though...
MADMANMIKE

Set 3: NPC Encounters is in the store now. Sets 4, 5 and 6 will be coming over the next couple of weeks, and when Bizantium comes out I should have a set or two done that cover it's classes as well.
MADMANMIKE

Set 4: Undead is now in the market; That gives a total of 104 Official Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures available at about .17 cents apiece!
MADMANMIKE

Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

Great work on all of the miniatures. I just wish I had more of use for them. My gaming circle has shrunk of late :(
MADMANMIKE

Thanks! You could always put together demo games for your local shops.. I've picked up a few players that way over the years.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

A bit of a question...Could you do an army? I saw the NPCs and was simply wondering.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
MADMANMIKE

The first Bizantium set will be Marines; two of each subgroup, with an additional two Skyriders as removable riders on a pair of Pegasus minis; I'm toying with the idea of throwing in a page laid out as multiples of each division so that you can do an army of each, but I'm loathe to sell duplicate minis.. I guess I should research the market..

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”