Finding or Creating a Large Campaign Map

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Finding or Creating a Large Campaign Map

Unread post by kiralon »

as its for personal use I can't see copyright being an issue, its a problem if you go on to sell them, but for own use comes under fair use.

I have one myself from an epic campaign, if you do just use the standard map out of the book I can say cleaning it up a bit is the way to go or the lines are too thick.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

So long as you're not selling it or distributing it en-mass, there shouldn't really be any copy right issues, which have exceptions for personal use.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

This PDF pack has a map you can print for personal use.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... rs_id=2627
ImageImage
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There are no good maps out there for poster-sized printouts that I know of. To get a good quality print (300 dots per inch or better), you need a huge image size. You have several options:

1. Palladium's drivethrough offer above. I can't vouch for or against it, as I don't own it.

2. Zyanitevp commissioned a very well-done Palladium Fantasy map a while ago for his "A God... Rebuilt" campaign. The map was made by Arsheesh, a very accomplished member of the Cartographers Guild. In terms of definition and visual quality, it's the best one out there. It does have a few accuracy issues, contains only regional labels, and doesn't match the close-up map details you see in the sourcebooks, but as an overall map, it does a fine job. At 2423x3135 pixels, you could print this out at 300 dpi on standard printer paper and have it look very good. You could blow it up and print a poster version at 150 or 100 dpi, but this will look blurry up close (you'll have to be at least yard or so back for it to look good).

3. If you have a big-screen HDTV and the right assorted hardware, you could display the map above on the screen. That would allow you to show it in full definition without having it look grainy. You could also mark it up using GIMP or other visual software on the fly.

4. If you're absolutely determined to have a high-quality (300 dpi, maximum canon accuracy, lots of local detail, good technique) map poster, you could commission such a work yourself. Keep in mind that such a "pull out all the stops" commission is likely to take a lot of time/work and will therefore cost a lot of money.

5. Make the map yourself. It can be done, though the learning curve is a bit steep. The guy who made the PFRPG world map linked above has a tutorial that guides you through his approach. My own technique is an adaptation of his.

I've done a few Palladium-based maps (click my signature), and I'm working on another one right now (see the Valley Map Project thread on this forum). It's tricky and time-consuming to do it right, but it can be a lot of fun, too.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
TriOpticon
D-Bee

Unread post by TriOpticon »

Carl Gleba wrote:This PDF pack has a map you can print for personal use.

Is that pack worth $5?
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

TriOpticon wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:This PDF pack has a map you can print for personal use.

Is that pack worth $5?

I thought so- it is only $5, has some good pregens, and it is official material. You can wait until it goes on sale again, where it is usually 20% off.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Hotrod wrote:There are no good maps out there for poster-sized printouts that I know of. To get a good quality print (300 dots per inch or better), you need a huge image size. You have several options:

2. Zyanitevp commissioned a very well-done Palladium Fantasy map a while ago for his "A God... Rebuilt" campaign. The map was made by Arsheesh, a very accomplished member of the Cartographers Guild. In terms of definition and visual quality, it's the best one out there. It does have a few accuracy issues, contains only regional labels, and doesn't match the close-up map details you see in the sourcebooks, but as an overall map, it does a fine job. At 2423x3135 pixels, you could print this out at 300 dpi on standard printer paper and have it look very good. You could blow it up and print a poster version at 150 or 100 dpi, but this will look blurry up close (you'll have to be at least yard or so back for it to look good).

I've done a few Palladium-based maps (click my signature), and I'm working on another one right now (see the Valley Map Project thread on this forum). It's tricky and time-consuming to do it right, but it can be a lot of fun, too.

As the guy who is having Hotrod make me another map (he also did a phenomenal map of the Kiridin area of the Northern Hinterlands- again, in his signature) doing a map is very labor intensive, and you never get paid what the hours invested are worth.

Here is a link to the map that Arsheesh made me that is easier to download full size here, and I only ask 2 things if you use it. Most importantly, drop him a note and follow his deviant art site and hop over to my Obsidian Portal page in my signature and become a fan!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”