Character Flaws and Quirks...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Character Flaws and Quirks...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I give Exp bonuses for characters that have them to begin with and extra when they play them out in games.

I've played things from: HRS (Horse riding sickness), allergies, sea sickness, difficult to wake up with slow waking (grogginess)...To a traveling apothecary (druid herbalist) who hatred of crowds in his wagon and had a medium sized closed wagon which he uses as a shop. To obsessively optimistic. So, LOL yeah.

Basically, what are some character flaws and quirks your PC's, NPC, or player's PC have?
Last edited by pblackcrow on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Characters Flaws and Quorks...

Unread post by say652 »

My current and favorite character is....well a moron. Easily manipulated naive and well ignorant to what goes on around him. Unless it attacks he honestly could careless. Also sees mortals as bugs. Pets to be protected but not taken seriously.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

pblackcrow wrote:I give Exp bonuses for characters that have them to begin with and extra when they play them out in games.

I've played things from: HRS (Horse riding sickness), allergies, sea sickness, difficult to wake up with slow waking (grogginess)...To a traveling apothecary (druid herbalist) who hatred of crowds in his wagon and had a medium sized closed wagon which he uses as a shop. To obsessively optimistic. So, LOL yeah.

Basically, what are some character flaws and quarks your PC's or players have?

My favorite was a elf with an M.A. of 2. Tripton, the Scathach (imported OCC from Rifts England).

By way of explanation, I gave him a severe speech impediment. Tripton is a stutterer who makes the opening of "The King's Speech" sound like Martin Luther King Jr's "I have a dream". It takes an act of supreme will for someone to actually listen to him all the way through a single sentence. Even then, his impediment is so bad that few people can understand him (reduces his native language skill to 30%, and it is perma-capped there). Magic spells to give him the power to speak all languages will only empower him to speak up to the 30% cap. They do not correct his impediment.

Tripton deals with this by pretending to be mute. His "native tongues" are sign language and literacy, and he only speaks at great need. He focuses on supporting those around him by herbal/psychic healing, supplying them with useful items, and watching their back. Tripton will follow the lead of almost any other character in the party to avoid taking a leadership role.

The funny thing is, Tripton is a pretty potent character, with his only low rolls being MA and Speed (which Running fixed nicely). The elf has a very high PS, PE, PP, IQ, and ME. He's also a major psionic (specializes in healing). As a Scathach, he brings both herbal magic and some useful magic items to the party. He's also a potent fighter, though he doesn't do heavy armors. Just don't ask him to try to talk your way into or out of anything.

Tripton is an elf of actions, not words. He thinks of himself as a smith first, a healer second, and a fighter third. A principled character, he often plays the good samaritan, saving the lives of wounded strangers and vanquished enemies. This can draw the ire of both the party and the authorities, but Tripton's manner is such that most people write him off as some sort of kindhearted simpleton
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

PowerSurge is unprincipled but leaning towards Anarchist (like the rest of the asgardian heavy hitters) while a "humanitarian" by viking standards he is still quite heartless by normal standards. He is a powerful warrior and a very skilled soldier, he dislikes weapons armor and most vehicles. Relies on his powers and is a "hero" mainly for cheers and ftee stuff. He dislikes psychics and the in his eyes the only person that should wield magic is Odin his grandfather. A son of Thor he tries to be all the good things a hero should be but cares little for squishies.
Common to all immortal godlings his arrogance is his biggest weakness. His main battle plan is CHARGE!! and he prefers to work alone, nobody to hog the spot light or steal the photo ops from the press.
He doesn't steal is very eccentric and is deep down a good man but his ego combined with his arrogance makes him strong and weak at the same time.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Smokey Joe Gargle is a hobo with a speech impediment. Not only does he have the misfortune of not having been well educated or taught social graces (not much time for book learnin' or table manners when you grow up homeless), but his voice is so garbled that he's nigh impossible to understand without concentrating. Imagine if you will the voice of Mr. Clint Eastwood (the way he is now, advanced in years) if he were suffering from severe chest congestion and had a throat full of phlegm/mucous. That's how our friend Joe sounds. Tack on that he's a a mutant tiger with a surly attitude (it aint fun being a hobo) and you have a someone who sends people running and screaming no matter what the situation.

Joe isn't a bad guy..err...tiger. Life's just handed him a raw deal and it continues to beat down on him with a seemingly endless series of strange events. If it weren't for the few friends that he has and the belief that all this weirdness has to mean something, Joe would probably wander off deep into the city never to be heard from again.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I once knew a player with this quark.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The Beast wrote:I once knew a player with this quark.

Roflmao. I see what ya did there.
Heres_Beefy
D-Bee

Re: Character Flaws and Quirks...

Unread post by Heres_Beefy »

We do the same thing the character develops patterns and consistancies and is rewarded for it. Since it's a roll playing game we try to make that the most rewarding part.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Character Flaws and Quirks...

Unread post by kiralon »

funniest one for me was a character my wife played, every now and then something that the party killed would get back up again, so whenever we killed something/s she would run around and behead them all.
Quirk: Deader Beheader

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”