New to PFRPG / Palladium Megaverse: roll to dodge/parry?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TriOpticon
D-Bee

New to PFRPG / Palladium Megaverse: roll to dodge/parry?

Unread post by TriOpticon »

I just picked up the core 2nd edition book as I think I can get my group to give fantasy RPGing a try. I am reading the combat section and it talks about dodge/parry and it says you roll for it (top of page 44, step 3 of combat sequence). I read the section several times and looked back toward the front but could not find what you compare against. I see in the Combat Terms when it talks about Entangle that you have to beat the strike roll.

Is that the same for dodge and parry? Could someone tell me what page it is on that says this? I am sure I am somehow missing it but any help would be appreciated.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: New to PFRPG / Palladium Megaverse: roll to dodge/parry?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, to beat a Strike roll with a dodge or a parry roll you need only to tie or beat the strike roll for the defensive move you are using.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
TriOpticon
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yes, to beat a Strike roll with a dodge or a parry roll you need only to tie or beat the strike roll for the defensive move you are using.

Thanks for the clarification. Is that spelled out in the book somewhere? I want to make sure I am not missing something else.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

PF2 MB, page 44, Combat sequence, step three.

I have the 1st printing so the page number might be different.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

A couple of notes on this since it may come up..

Sooner or layer players will take on a monster that is giant sized. The GM will roll to strike and the player will attempt to parry..

This might be a good time to let them know certain attacks should be dodged..

While strictly speaking by the book a thief with a short sword can parry those claws from the dragon or the tree sized club the giant is swinging you may want to stick with realism.

My call is attacks from giant sized creatures have to be dodged. But run it however you see fit.
TriOpticon
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:PF2 MB, page 44, Combat sequence, step three.
Ah, OK. It was not very clear to me that it the strike roll was the comparison. At first I thought it meant the attacker rolled again and the parry roll was compared to that.

URLeader Hobbes wrote:While strictly speaking by the book a thief with a short sword can parry those claws from the dragon or the tree sized club the giant is swinging you may want to stick with realism.

My call is attacks from giant sized creatures have to be dodged. But run it however you see fit.
Thanks, Hobbes. I most likely would lean toward the more realistic application.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

TriOpticon wrote:
Ah, OK. It was not very clear to me that it the strike roll was the comparison. At first I thought it meant the attacker rolled again and the parry roll was compared to that.

URLeader Hobbes wrote:While strictly speaking by the book a thief with a short sword can parry those claws from the dragon or the tree sized club the giant is swinging you may want to stick with realism.

I think the lack of rules addressing this are a reflection of the old school days where all combat rolls and bonuses where boiled down to a couple of numbers and it was assumed that you used your imagination to fill in the blanks. With original D&D for example, THAC0 was a representation of both armor and dodging/parrying, etc.; if your THAC0 wasn't beat, the GM might say "You parried" or "You dodged".

Extraneous mechanics have become the norm these days so I understand your confusion.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
TriOpticon wrote:

I think the lack of rules addressing this are a reflection of the old school days where all combat rolls and bonuses where boiled down to a couple of numbers and it was assumed that you used your imagination to fill in the blanks. With original D&D for example, THAC0 was a representation of both armor and dodging/parrying, etc.; if your THAC0 wasn't beat, the GM might say "You parried" or "You dodged".

Extraneous mechanics have become the norm these days so I understand your confusion.

Well there is no actual printed rule either. So yeah you kinda have to house rule some things in this system. Especially when you have munchkins and rules lawyers at the table. LOL
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:I think the lack of rules addressing this are a reflection of the old school days where all combat rolls and bonuses where boiled down to a couple of numbers and it was assumed that you used your imagination to fill in the blanks. With original D&D for example, THAC0 was a representation of both armor and dodging/parrying, etc.; if your THAC0 wasn't beat, the GM might say "You parried" or "You dodged".

Well there is no actual printed rule either.

Uhm.. I just explained that..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Welcome to the best Fantasy game out there!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
tmbn
Wanderer

Unread post by tmbn »

You could also look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133224

To make the game flow better you could parry once on multiple strikes, so you will not need to throw parry on every strike per melee hit at you. But hit parry once. See the link above to more detail information on what I mean.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:A couple of notes on this since it may come up..

Sooner or layer players will take on a monster that is giant sized. The GM will roll to strike and the player will attempt to parry..

This might be a good time to let them know certain attacks should be dodged..

While strictly speaking by the book a thief with a short sword can parry those claws from the dragon or the tree sized club the giant is swinging you may want to stick with realism.

I think in those cases we should have rules for some kind of combination parry/dodge maneuver.

Like for example, your feet would be planted very differently, since in a way the parry would be used to just kind of turn with the impact, let it move you aside rather than hit you head-on.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”