I was thinking about the western empire...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

I was thinking about the western empire...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Once war brakes out with the Middle Kingdoms, the people of The Tarldet Plains need not fear being cut off from the rest of the empire, they can get a summoner to teleport stuff to the Ophid's Grasslands colonies and them to the Vequerrel woodlands.

EVERYONE WOULD BENEFIT. Also get a warlock or summoner to summon an earth elemental to regrow the blasted trees in the woodlands. Also make peace with the fae, briibe them with sweets, glass beads, marbles, and things, and send the little buggers into the middle kingdoms as spies, assassins, and saboteurs.

Also get some earth warlocks to help the colonies build stuff. Like roads, wall, sewers, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Re: I was thinking about the western empire...

Unread post by Jerell »

As far as the fae go, I could see making peace, maybe, but I don't think most of them will be up to taking missions. There'll be a few sure, but I think most are just going to want to party and have a good time if a peace is reached. I'm just not sure the will is there on either side as things stand.

You're going to have to pay well or otherwise motivate the majority of Western Empire magic users to do anything, 'for the good of the people,' since if I remember correctly, they're mostly selfish and evil (summoners even more so), and always looking out for themselves. If you want some real civic values for them, they should join the Wolfen Empire. :wink: Errare humanum est, lupus non.
pblackcrow
Champion

Jerell wrote:As far as the fae go, I could see making peace, maybe, but I don't think most of them will be up to taking missions. There'll be a few sure, but I think most are just going to want to party and have a good time if a peace is reached. I'm just not sure the will is there on either side as things stand.

You're going to have to pay well or otherwise motivate the majority of Western Empire magic users to do anything, 'for the good of the people,' since if I remember correctly, they're mostly selfish and evil (summoners even more so), and always looking out for themselves. If you want some real civic values for them, they should join the Wolfen Empire. :wink: Errare humanum est, lupus non.

I am not saying don't pay them for services rendered. Say, 25,000 per teleport circle...Size:extra large. I'm quite sure there will be summoners who would do it. As well as earth warlocks.

As for the fae, I would remind them that they would be screwed if the middle kingdom were to win. I would also offer to stay out of their forests in the deal, if they will help grow and maintain a logging forest. With the over all concept of fringe benefits and entitlements...To reside in the forest tax free, to receive sweets once at least once a month...blah, blah, blah.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

One problem with using a summoner teleport circle: each time you use it, you have to rip off a faerie's wings and burn them.

This tends to make faeries upset.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Mark Hall wrote:One problem with using a summoner teleport circle: each time you use it, you have to rip off a faerie's wings and burn them.

This tends to make faeries upset.

Does Circle of Travel exist in Palladium Fantasy?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
pblackcrow
Champion

Or use a permanency ward. But you couldn't change the location.

I can't remember but is there a ley line handy in or near 1 or more of the 3 locations?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

pblackcrow wrote:Or use a permanency ward. But you couldn't change the location.

I can't remember but is there a ley line handy in or near 1 or more of the 3 locations?

Still gotta rip the wings off a faerie (to say nothing of enough demon/dragon bone to make a permanency ward), and I'm not sure a permanency ward would work that way for a teleportation circle.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I always wondered how you would conceivably get workable quantities of demon bone. You'd have to chop off a limb or something right? Because if you kill them they self immolate and blow away in a could of dust right?
pblackcrow
Champion

HUH? I never read that in Palladium or Rifts. BTS 2nd ed, yes.

We've always went to an alchemist...Except in wisdom mind you, it takes about a half hour to an hour to get one unless the alchemist is really busy. And I actually setup a master elven alchemists back rooms with a demon summoning for bones room. It went something like this:

Alchemist summons a demon bull, he goes into a the typical speech. Roars a bit. Then the alchemist says "B-word, please...(activates the crap load of befuddle wards) now you've got 1 chance of staying alive, what is pi times pi....2 seconds..(bong). Ah, I'm sorry you shouldn't have taken so long with your intro...But thank you for playing live or die. You are the weakest link, good bye!!!" and pulls a lever. Demon bull falls into pit of weapons (a few possibly holy and/or rune), Alchemist then turns a valve, and either holy water or flesh eating acid poor into the pit (or possibly piranha in water) bubbling and black blood around the body, then the he pulls another lever, the platform slowly raises out of the pit, without the weapons.

The players laughed.

The priest of Thoth hears, "I'm impressed!".
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Gelba's minion war books, Hydes and Dyval were both pretty clear on what happens to them outside of their home plane of existence when they die. Best way has to be chopping off a finger, hand or limb before you kill them I would think.

BTW, I thought Dyval had some good new stuff, that I'll probably use next time I restart my old Palladium campaign up.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Probably not a bad idea if you have something that will petrify it fairly easily. Some of them have good bonuses to save thanks in part to high PE, so you'd have to keep that in mind when selecting the infernal.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:Or use a permanency ward. But you couldn't change the location.

Still gotta rip the wings off a faerie (to say nothing of enough demon/dragon bone to make a permanency ward), and I'm not sure a permanency ward would work that way for a teleportation circle.

I don't think you need the wings if the circle is already active (by burning a pair) and permanent, any more than you would have to wear the Dragon Helm for a Circle of Power to be active.
The plot hook Circle of Teleports in the various books were active and would teleport anyone who steps into them.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

Not all active Teleport Circles in the books automatically teleport when active. PFRPG Book2, In the Palace of Magic adventure, town out side. Item 32. The Dead End Tunnel Page 180. Has a Teleport Circle made indestructable with a permanence ward, and it requires burning of faerie wings to actually teleport you, but no invocation or power words. This leads me to believe this circle is permanently active, but the actual teleportation still requires faerie wings.

Although this particualr circle is a little different being invisible and also made with Old Ones blood. But if you could make a Teleport circle out of an extrememly powerful magical component (like old ones blood) if that doesn't make it completely automatic not sure a regular circle would automatically work without faerie wings either.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Agreed. That's pretty much how I look at it.
pblackcrow
Champion

Than again, we are talking about the western empire. A lot of human's don't care about anyone except their own race. And even then it's questionable. Rather like most humans are here, today.

In war...the WE would find a way, even if that way meant digging an extremely large bunker with the spell version of iron wood for support beams under 3 shops, and ward the entrance and the 4 corners of the bunker against faeries.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Until the Slayer of Mountains decides to come in on the faeries side, mid to late war. Then, it's game over.
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

Meh. Considering the war with the middle kingdom would last about a week (if the middle kingdom is lucky). I wouldn't worry about being cut off.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
pblackcrow
Champion

Spies can report things like how the jerk is keeping his mother in the tower.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

It'll take a week at least just to gather food and wagons for an army to move. :lol: You know how temperamental those cabbage farmers can be.

edit - The rebellion will last 3-6 years. And set the Empire back 8-15 years militarily. And that's when the Old Kingdom horde will bring the Empire to it's knees before they head home. :twisted:
pblackcrow
Champion

You may think so...But I'm not so sure!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

If you mean that bit about how long the rebellion will last, and how many years it'll set the Empire back that's straight from the book. 3 to 6 years is Coffin's estimate in the book, since he wrote said book, I go with that.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Re:OP

Re-growing the old growth trees cut down in the Vequerrel Woodlands would still take decades, even with an army of Earth Warlocks. Their "Grow Plants" spell doubles growth rates of plants, but most big trees need 50-60 years or more to reach full maturity and size. I'm not aware of any other Earth Warlock spells that would do the trick, though I think some Herbalists from Rifts: England might be able to help.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
pblackcrow
Champion

You can go by the books all you want...I am putting things in to play in the current game I am in as player character that I KNOW will tip the scales. As the new Provincial Lord of Toth's (the fae sorta whipped out the old family recently) court multiclassed mage that should help the Empire in the war efforts. I have drugged the old regional overload with a mild dose of black lotus to cause his mind to be clouded so he stays with my load and I where I can look after him. And I do it for the betterment of both the Region and the Empire.

If you haven't guest, I am playing an aberrant character who believes that his first duty is to the empire, 2ndly The Emperor, 3rd the regional lord, 4th the new provincial lord who (By the way, Stephen's character is aberrant as well, but with unprincipled leanings), then to the people, and than lastly to himself. But he will stop at no means to protect the empire...even if it means drugging a crippled old man who may die any time soon if I fail my holistic medicine, brewing, and use poison rolls. When that happens, my character will say he got into his lab while he was away and drink a poisoness mixture, and have Darrick's mind mage erase my memories and put in new ones (so if I have to drink a truth potion I can say that the old lord was suffering from dementia brought on by the mental strain of news that the war with the faerie was over...blah blah blah, and that he was himself for about 4 hour then when to sleep and when he woke up he just went berserk again and ran off from me. I knew I couldn't cast magic on nobility. So, I ran after him and I found him in my lab dead holding a vile of black lotus and several other things. But he said before in the 4 hours that he was a fool for letting what happened to him blind him and cause so much pain and death in his son's realm as he played chess with me. And that he was genuinely sorry.) So, yes, I am playing a very complex character and loving every minute of it! By the way, lotus was also used by mages and priests to relax the mind and evoke visions, blah blah blah.

By the way, I also caused the fall of House Toth...Yeah, I sorta slipped the poison that killed them to the fae and told them to put it on their arrow tips. Stephen's character had the next noble with the most invested in the town, so by default it was going to be his. Darrick is playing his wife and one of the knights of the family. I am playing his squire and an elven wizard/summoner who's parents are a druid herbalist from Rifts and an alchemist. Alicia, when she shows up, is playing an earth warrior, and my squire's twin bother who is also a squire in service to Darrick's knight. And Robert is playing a young acrobat and a gladiator that works for Stephen's Noble. Stephen's playing his noble and my wizard's young servant/errand boy/possibly apprentice.

-------

Yeah, very good, but now think about this...It double the rate of growth percasting. Thus the 1st casting it will be x2, 2nd time it will be x4, 3rd x8, 4th x16, 5th x32, 6th x64, and so on. Plus, if you got the greenwood faeries to put aside difference, which in our game we have, it won't take that long to do. Good thing about the fae is they don't run out of juice the way warlocks do. Plus they make the best spies EVER. Because of their flight speed.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Interesting! I generally don't apply exponential models to multiple iterations of spells and effects that "double" a value, but I don't suppose there's anything in canon to say you can't do that. Of course, applying that kind of logic could lead to all kinds of unforeseen consequences.

Real life example: My grandfather planted some walnut trees in high-quality topsoil that used to have pigs living on it. After a few years, we noticed that a lot of the trees' limbs were falling off for no reason we could see. A forester came by and explained it to us. The soil was so fertile, and the trees grew so fast, that they didn't have enough rings in their structure, and the ones they had were too widely spaced. This severely degraded their structural integrity. Eventually, most of the trees recovered, and there's a nice grove of very healthy trees there now. Still, it was a strange effect of the conditions being too good for a plant.

Of course, it's magic, so maybe everything would be fine.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

What you really need is a Lemurian Biomancer. Find Greyaxe and get him to Rift one in for a while, that would probably do the trick.
pblackcrow
Champion

Or jungle elves from South America, druids in England, or some other thing. I work with what I've got.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Herbologists from Rifts England would also be good for this application.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
pblackcrow
Champion

Slight update, faerie spies have reported a woman crying in a tower claiming to be the lords mother and fitting the description. I have sent word to the Emperor. And he sent word back to have the kids killed, and he would promote the old uh "queen".

They both will come to an annual masquerade, them and their men and any escorts will be attacked by "highwaymen" with rings of teleportation, rune weapons, and ironwood shields that by the way are meant to look cheap, they will all be have their heads cut off and their bodies burned. The small cult to the idiotic son destroyed and their bodies burned.

All while the queen is being freed and protected by the 362 fae folk. And once his people hear what has happened to her hopefully they will all stop. And be on the Emperor's side.

Each of the battles will be carried out with miniatures this weekend.

This will be interesting.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Nightfactory wrote:
Jerell wrote:Until the Slayer of Mountains decides to come in on the faeries side, mid to late war. Then, it's game over.

The Slayer of Mountains is over-rated IMO. Sooner or later he'll get outted for what he is and the Western Empire will kick him out.

Or find a way to use him.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Possibly. However, Itomas is not a dumb man...We've always played him as a stable minded, yet ambitious, man. Who wants to transform the image of his empire and to have it expand. Yet, I agree with him, fully. House Clynn should fall. After this campaign is over I intend to try to get someone to GM a game with me as the head of the replacement house or as the overlord of the colony in the wasteland or Great Northern Wilderness in a play by post style game. The thing about me is I like heavy role-play in the games I play in and love a great political games.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

pblackcrow wrote:Once war brakes out with the Middle Kingdoms, the people of The Tarldet Plains need not fear being cut off from the rest of the empire, they can get a summoner to teleport stuff to the Ophid's Grasslands colonies and them to the Vequerrel woodlands.

EVERYONE WOULD BENEFIT. Also get a warlock or summoner to summon an earth elemental to regrow the blasted trees in the woodlands. Also make peace with the fae, briibe them with sweets, glass beads, marbles, and things, and send the little buggers into the middle kingdoms as spies, assassins, and saboteurs.

Also get some earth warlocks to help the colonies build stuff. Like roads, wall, sewers, etc.

You made me laugh! :lol:

First, you say you want a summoner to teleport items to the Ophid's Grasslands for the West. Then you follow up with you want the Western Empire to make peace with the faeries. You do know that the circle of teleportation that a summoner would use to teleport things takes a material component to be burned up for each activation correct? That component happens to be Faerie Wings!

I doubt you are going to get a peace accord if you have the Summoners hunting Faeries for Wings. Lol
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Jerell wrote:I always wondered how you would conceivably get workable quantities of demon bone. You'd have to chop off a limb or something right? Because if you kill them they self immolate and blow away in a could of dust right?

That was a BS rule written into a books 20 some years after it was completely common for magic users to have and use demon bone. I completely disregard that trash from the dimension book.
pblackcrow
Champion

I am sneaky when I need to be, plus I am playing a Wizard/summoner. Plus we didn't sell our wings, from the dearly departed old nobles family's vaults.

I have a question...where does it say killing or dismembering a demon is an act of evil? I mean for real. LOL
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”