How long does it take to make magic weapons?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

How long does it take to make magic weapons?

Unread post by arouetta »

PFRPG, pg 249, under "Magic Weapons" states it takes 2D4 months per property. Sounds definitive, right? But also on pg 249, under "Magic Armor", it states "It typically takes 5-10 days to get magic features put into armor (or weapons). A rush job, 48 hours, will cost 50% more."

So, is it a minimum of 2 months or 2 days? Is it a maximum of 8 months or 10 days?
Solarius
D-Bee

Re: How long does it take to make magic weapons?

Unread post by Solarius »

From my experience its however fast the GM wants you to have it.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

lol, right. Maybe it depends on the level/power or available components of the alchemist? The way it's written it could be either. Dice it, or GM's call I would guess. I would probably lean towards the 2-8 months depending.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

yeah, does the time duration include all the components, or are you to assume you spend that time gathering, forging and enchanting?

If it's all-inclusive that's one thing. If you have to spend a month going oogalie boogalie with your year long trip's worth of magic powders and a perfectly made item that took a year to craft...that's another.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I imagine that more powerful/potent enchantments would take longer, but ultimately, yeah, it's all on the GM.

Unless you're the one making the magic weapon. I'm not talking about an alchemist OCC, but rather one of several classes that can make weapons. For example, a fletcher could make some dragon bone arrows, a blacksmith could make items from the blood of the Dragonwright gods or other intrinsically magical materials.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

It would be neat if different alchemists had different skills at creating different amounts of thing.

Perhaps a cost-based formula could be used as a base, like 1 hour per gold piece an item's sale cost is (taking 10-50% the cost in raw materials) but every time an alchemist makes a given item they can subsequently make it in 99.9% of the previous time. Rounding up, but keeping track of the decimals.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

I’ve always played it that whats listed in the book is the base price for the standard time, then multiply x2 from there.

For example;

Base time 4 months at 10,000 Gp.

2 months 20,000 gp.

1 month 40,000 gp.

2 weeks 80,000 gp.

1 week 160,000 gp. etc. With 48 hours being the absolute fastest turn around time available.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If 1 week is 160k then 3.5 days would be 320k, 1.25 days would be 640k... so 48 hours would be somewhere in between there. I bet I wouldn't known how to calculate that back in calculus days... bleh. It's exponential I tell you.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”