Palladium Height comparisons

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Palladium Height comparisons

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Somewhere on the interweb some time ago somebody suggested that I do a height comparison chart. Nobody was interested in commissioning it, so I let it go, but now as a side effect of my Palladium Fantasy Paper Miniatures project, I've compiled one.

Palladium Fantasy Height Comparision Chart

These are all images that will be used as miniatures.

EDIT: Final version approved by Kev.

Palladium Fantasy Racial Height Chart
Last edited by MADMANMIKE on Mon May 05, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Palladium Height comparisons

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The dwarf....does not seam wide/buff enough.
Where is the Gnome?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Nice, but needs more...a gnome, trogs, centaur, gnome, titan, ramen, the other canine races, at least 1 dragon etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
MADMANMIKE

Gnome, Trog and Kobold are all that's missing from the main book, I haven't gotten to any of them in my minis yet; I have worked on a Kankoran and a Coyle, but I don't think I've quite got them down yet.
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

8 ft is the minimum for ogres and wolfen isn't? I know they can at least reach 10 ft.
MADMANMIKE

Reagren Wright wrote:8 ft is the minimum for ogres and wolfen isn't? I know they can at least reach 10 ft.

Seven actually.. You're right, I should make some bigger. For the sake of the minis though, 8ft was a necessary compromise.

Example.

With 8ft, I can put more in a package. I can only get four trolls to a page (plus an ogre and a human sized mini), but I can get 15 8ft minis to a page; Depending on the success of the sales of the first couple of packages, I expect the third or fourth package to have wolfen in it. The wolfen in that image is from the freebie sample pack.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Excellent dude, I like it. Wouldn't have minded see a slightly bigger Ogre, but still jolly good.
MADMANMIKE

Here ya go, Ogre and Wolfen scaled up; It would take some work to make them this big in the minis.. not sure I've got it in me to do so right now; probably leave the second set as-is (with four 8ft Ogres), and perhaps put some bigger Ogres into a later set..

Better Scale
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Very cool!!! Definitely puts things into perspective.. Can you toss a dragon in there as well?

That might help me explain to new players why they are unable to parry attacks from creatures that are massively bigger than they are.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

This size chart is why people say wolfen should rule the palladium world. They're speed, muscle and compitence, larger than humans but not so huge it would hinder them in the wilds. Pretty much the perfect race. I'd never play one, but I'm a genocidal xenophobe. :P

And excellent work, Mike. :ok:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
MADMANMIKE

URLeader Hobbes wrote:Very cool!!! Definitely puts things into perspective.. Can you toss a dragon in there as well?

That might help me explain to new players why they are unable to parry attacks from creatures that are massively bigger than they are.

Happy Star Wars day!

Watching A New Hope, killing some time chilling out... Here ya go; Rearranged from smallest to tallest (except the Wolfen on the end, fitting the image), with a Great Horned Dragon crouching in the background...

Great Horned Dragon Scale.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

All kinds of necessary.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
MADMANMIKE

Added a Coyle, changed a few figures and left room for Kobold, Kankoran and Gnome.

Palladium Fantasy Races Scale
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

This is great! You have outdone yourself with the last one. That so good it needs to be official in a future PFRPG book.

BTW some of my players wanted a different kind of Rifts character sheet, so I directed them to yours, they seem to like it. Good show.
MADMANMIKE

Thanks.

I've added a Kankoran: Take Five!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Thanks.

I've added a Kankoran: Take Five!

Love it as a lineup small to tall. Very cool resource.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
MADMANMIKE

FINAL VERSION! Approved this morning by Kev; note that the Ogre is down to 10ft, he says that although they can reach as tall as 12ft, the norm is closer to 8-10ft.

Palladium Fantasy Racial Height Chart
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

He's indeed correct on the normal Ogre height. I've always like playing an Ogre Merc or Ogre pirate. They're just fun.

Height check on Wolfen. Aren't they usually slightly less tall than Ogres?

Grug needs to see this when he gets back to civilization. I rely on his memorization of the PFRPG main book so I don't have to look things up... :bandit:

Edit - Do you do commissions Madman? Looking at your stuff, I'm in the mood to finance some art.
MADMANMIKE

Jerell wrote:He's indeed correct on the normal Ogre height. I've always like playing an Ogre Merc or Ogre pirate. They're just fun.

Height check on Wolfen. Aren't they usually slightly less tall than Ogres?

That is at their max height by the book; their average is closer to the max on the Coyle.

Grug needs to see this when he gets back to civilization. I rely on his memorization of the PFRPG main book so I don't have to look things up... :bandit:

Edit - Do you do commissions Madman? Looking at your stuff, I'm in the mood to finance some art.

Absolutely. A full color character portrait in an appropriate background at high enough resolution to print as a poster at your local print shop (I use FedEx Office or Staples for mine) runs just $50. Here's a gallery of Commissions I've done. Drop me a note on my DA page, send me a PM here, or email me at madmanmike14 at yahoo.com.
MADMANMIKE

Nightfactory wrote:
You've got some really impressive stuff. I absolutely love this one.

Thanks. Hendrik commissioned that for The Dark Elf's character in his 1930's Beyond the Supernatural game.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I like this ( http://madmanmike.deviantart.com/art/Pa ... -452229066 ) HCC.

Is that a Adult GHD or a Hatchling GHD?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
MADMANMIKE

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I like this ( http://madmanmike.deviantart.com/art/Pa ... -452229066 ) HCC.

Is that a Adult GHD or a Hatchling GHD?

That would be an adult, crouching quite a bit. 70ft long.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Outstanding mad man :ok: Definetely an improvement over the original. Looking forward to
seeing more of your work in any Palladium Fantasy books.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I can't stop coming back and looking at this. Bravo madman!
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Nice! Still needs a centaur and a titan. But great job Mate.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
MADMANMIKE

Down the road I'll probably do another one with some of the other playable races. Centaurs, Grimbor, Ramen, Gosai, Danzi, Giants, etc.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Awesomely done Sir
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

This may be a little off topic but it was always something that bothered me about the size difference of ogres.

Look at the size of an Ogre and compare that with the human. Now go to pg. 304 in the Main PF book and read how Ogres reproduce.

It would be like a Rottweilder trying to mate with a Chihuahua.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

The scale is all wrong...
Some of the critters are shorter than beings that they should be taller than etc.
I don't know if you were going for the minimum maximum or average heights as some races seem to show max heights and others are less than the max.
The average height would obviously be the most apt option but maybe you could show all three? With the minimum guy standing in front, the average behind him and the max height behind him although that would be an issue with the Changeling in the mix as their height isn't variable.
Anyway, here are the real heights listed by whatever limit you want to use but consistency is important:

Min height:
Gnome: 2', Goblin/Dwarf/Kobold: 3', Troglodyte/Hob-Goblin: 4', Kankoran: 4', Human: 5', Orc: 5', Elf: 6', Changeling: 7', Coyle: 6'4", Wolfen: 7', Ogre: 7', Troll: 9' and G.H. Dragon: 20' (tall)

Average height:
Gnome: 2'3", Goblin/Dwarf/Kobold: 3'6", Troglodyte/Hob-Goblin: 4'6", Kankoran: 4'9", Human: 5'9", Orc: 5'10", Elf: 6'5", Changeling: 7', Coyle: 7'2", Wolfen: 8'6", Ogre: 9'6", Troll: 11'6" and G.H. Dragon: 25' (tall)

Max height:
Gnome: 2'6", Goblin/Dwarf/Kobold: 4', Troglodyte/Hob-Goblin: 5', Kankoran: 5'6" Human: 6'6", Orc: 6'8", Elf: 6'10", Changeling: 7', Coyle: 8', Wolfen: 10', Ogre: 12', Troll: 14' and G.H. Dragon: 30' (tall)

As you can see, by not using a consistent measuring bar, the results get wonky such as the Goblins/Dwarves/Kobolds not being the same height as one another, Kankorans being shorter than Troglodytes/Hobgoblins, Orcs being taller than Elves, Ogres not being noticeably larger than Wolfen (Although if going by their min heights, they would be the same) and Trolls being way bigger compared to the Ogre than they should be.
MADMANMIKE

This is art people. If you don't like it, feel free to spend the next thirteen years of your free-time learning the 3D program of your choice and spending thousands of dollars building a library of models to use so you can take a week of free-time putting together your own version without pay. Also, be sure to do all this while working an average of 80 hours a week in a series of menial non-art related manual labor jobs that will eventually lead to a permanent handicap, and while also raising three kids.

For the record, EVERY RACE IN THIS IMAGE IS WITHIN IT'S HEIGHT RANGE. Therefore, the scale in this image IS NOT ALL WRONG.

The only place here where someone might have a leg to stand on arguing the images merits is the height of the Ogre, and as I explained above, Kev says that they only average between 8 to 10 feet in height.

That's it. Kev is the creator of the game, what he says goes.

The Gnome is at it's max height.
The Goblin is 3ft 9 inches tall, he just looks shorter because he's squatting in a combat pose.
The Kobold is slightly below his max height.
The Dwarf is slightly below his max height.
The Kankoran is 4ft 8 inches tall, slightly below his max height.
The Troglodyte is 4ft 10 inches tall, slightly below his max height.
The Hobgoblin is 4ft 10 inches tall, slightly below his max height.
The Human is 5ft 10 inches tall, his average height.
The Elf is 6ft 3 inches tall, slightly above her shortest height.
The Orc is 6ft 6 inches tall, slightly below his max height.
The Changeling is 7ft tall.
The Coyle is 8ft tall, his max height.
The Wolfen is 10ft tall, his max height.
The Ogre is 10ft tall, his max average height.
The Troll is 14ft tall, his max height.

There, now you have the exact measurements from this chart. Again, please, feel free to make your own version that meets your personal tastes.

That's what I did.
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

Wow that's beautiful :D I always wanted something like that painting on my man-cave wall when I won the lottery in full scale.

You could stand in front of these things and really feel how big/small some of them are.

A fantastic piece of work, don't let the damn fool nay sayers put you down!
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”