Fantasy Books may be on the way!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jerell
Hero

Fantasy Books may be on the way!

Unread post by Jerell »

Kevin Siembieda wrote:What’s burning in my brain!

Here is good news for fans of the Palladium Fantasy RPG®, I have five books for it in my head screaming to come out. Land of the Damned Three, two Old Kingdom books (one focusing on the Dwarven Kingdoms), a magic book and what would probably be a series of Land of the South Winds books (each designed to stand on its own). A bunch of other ideas are floating around too. I will try to squeak out one or two of these books this year, the rest will be 2015 releases. I guess those Palladium Fantasy®, 2nd Edition Hardcovers will come in handy. ;)

You see that!? Do you see that there!? 2 Old Kingdoms books! It's what I've been dreaming of for a decade!

hip-hip! Hurrah!

Let's do this. :bandit: I'll be looking for them in 2015 sometime, hopefully by summer.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Fantasy Books may be on the way!

Unread post by eliakon »

Jerell wrote:

Here is good news for fans of the Palladium Fantasy RPG®, I have five books for it in my head screaming to come out. Land of the Damned Three, two Old Kingdom books (one focusing on the Dwarven Kingdoms), a magic book and what would probably be a series of Land of the South Winds books (each designed to stand on its own). A bunch of other ideas are floating around too. I will try to squeak out one or two of these books this year, the rest will be 2015 releases. I guess those Palladium Fantasy®, 2nd Edition Hardcovers will come in handy. ;)

You see that!? Do you see that there!? 2 Old Kingdoms books! It's what I've been dreaming of for a decade!

hip-hip! Hurrah!

Let's do this. :bandit: I'll be looking for them in 2015 sometime, hopefully by summer.

In Palladium Speak that's 2025 though right? Since they ALWAYS hype books that they don't have, and then have to cancel, re-write, or otherwise delay.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Yeah yeah, I know. I'm just having a moment, don't rain too hard on my parade just yet, wait for next year then let it pour. :D
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Jerell wrote:Yeah yeah, I know. I'm just having a moment, don't rain too hard on my parade just yet, wait for next year then let it pour. :D

:bandit: Sorry, wasn't trying to rain on you, just more of making sure you had an umbrella and camp chair. :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Between robotech and rifts I dont see how this would happen.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I could realistically see MoM2 qued up at least sometime in the next year. I really do want to see the Old kingdom books. So much potential there.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Believe it when i see it.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Jerell wrote:

hip-hip! Hurrah!

I am really excited that he is talking about Fantasy again!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Exactly man. Like, that's what I'm happy about. With a little energon and a lot of luck, maybe MoM2 will que up after Megaverse in flames.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Believe it when it's in stores and not a moment before. I'd say 2015 would be the optimistic view point, but bluntly, I think the optimistic view point is that it will come out at all, and not end up like that first Old Kingdom book that's been 'Coming soon' for the past decade, or LoD3 that I've been waiting for since like, High School.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

NG1 and NG2 were both big projects for Kevin. Writing two books of that size is a lot of work for one guy, even with his handful of employees and trusted freelancers to help. Throw in all the other stuff he does, and I'm amazed that Kevin can crank the books out as fast as he does.

I'm guessing we'll see a new Fantasy book in 16 or 17.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Hotrod wrote:NG1 and NG2 were both big projects for Kevin. Writing two books of that size is a lot of work for one guy, even with his handful of employees and trusted freelancers to help. Throw in all the other stuff he does, and I'm amazed that Kevin can crank the books out as fast as he does.

I'm guessing we'll see a new Fantasy book in 16 or 17.

If you mean 16 or 17 years.. Yeah we might... Sorry I'm too skeptical to think we'll see anything in 2016 or 2017.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Hotrod wrote:I'm guessing we'll see a new Fantasy book in 16 or 17.

Quite possible. Especially if they actually do the Old Kingdom books. I have to believe they'll either be fairly sizeable or maybe be more than two books in the end, depending how in-depth they go.
zyanitevp
Champion

Jerell wrote:
Hotrod wrote:I'm guessing we'll see a new Fantasy book in 16 or 17.

Quite possible. Especially if they actually do the Old Kingdom books. I have to believe they'll either be fairly sizeable or maybe be more than two books in the end, depending how in-depth they go.

The original manuscripts for Old Kingdom were Old Kingdom Mountains and O K Lowlands
My Twitter
Image Image
Ignatius
D-Bee

Unread post by Ignatius »

Call me skeptical at best. I've been playing palladium games since like 1987, and i remember Kevin talking about the old kingdom books back in the early nineties, in fact they were listed in the catalouge as coming soon up until like 98.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I heard from a friend that Kevin wants to do a book specifically detailing the dwarves and Dwarven Holdings of the Old Kingdoms. Who knows what the format for the books would actually be though, you guess is as good as mine.
tmbn
Wanderer

Unread post by tmbn »

Wow! This would be great! And not to be that pessimistic I would also start believing in Santa this year. I played PF almost 20 years now and heard talks about new books every year. Some books have been hanging in Pre Order for years. I think its a secret strategy to just keep the fans of PFRPG alive. But why dont they allow any others to write some books for them??!? It must be thousands of people that want to write a book for free? Why??

Bring them on! I would buy them in a heartbeat!
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

tmbn wrote:It must be thousands of people that want to write a book for free? Why??

The simple truth is that you get what you pay for. Palladium is not in the habit of slapping their name onto any old script and calling it a book. Quality control can make or break a small company so they can't gamble that a script that doesn't read well in the first few pages is suddenly going to get good later on.

That said, I see good things on the horizon, and quite likely sooner than later. 8-)
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
tmbn wrote:It must be thousands of people that want to write a book for free? Why??

The simple truth is that you get what you pay for. Palladium is not in the habit of slapping their name onto any old script and calling it a book. Quality control can make or break a small company so they can't gamble that a script that doesn't read well in the first few pages is suddenly going to get good later on.

That said, I see good things on the horizon, and quite likely sooner than later. 8-)

Yes let's see what exactly happens.
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

MADMANMIKE wrote:

Kevin and the crew always put out good quality, but tbh, I'm very close to "giving up" on ever seeing a new title for PFRPG. I've been playing since high school when a friend first introduced to me the game way back in 1988. Splicers and the zombie title have come out and gotten new titles since the last time a new title for PFRPG was released. What is it going to take for them to actually release a title for us?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As with all PB "announcements"...I'll start anticipating when they say 'it has gone to the printers'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dcfitch
D-Bee
Comment: Father of five kids; husband to one wife; and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next...

Unread post by dcfitch »

Would love to see something on the Dwarves
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

dcfitch wrote:Would love to see something on the Dwarves

Nah dwarves lost the war. The Elves won so if anybody gets their own book it would be them. :P
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

The latest update mentions Reagren Wright's book on Bizantium (as well as my paper minis)..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Hopes to have art assigned after gencon and see it out by the end of the year... Hopes.

They have all of August, September, October, and November to get it arted up and off to the printer and still get it out this year and there is only a sincere HOPE that it might get done.

Don't get me wrong I love Palladium as a product line but they need to step up their game when it comes to actually getting products to market.

They should be Putting out at least 3 full (160+ page) books and a couple of smaller books (75-100 pages) a year, plus the Rifters (since those are mostly fan submissions).

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

J.L. Duncan wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:The latest update mentions Reagren Wright's book on Bizantium (as well as my paper minis)..

Congrats to you both.

I have a feeling this book will be out before the end of this year.

Which would be totally excellent! :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work Palladium Books!

Ditto this!

Nice one Glen and MMM! Cannot tell you how much ive waited for another PFRPG book and as it happens my next campaign starts in bizantium!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:
J.L. Duncan wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:The latest update mentions Reagren Wright's book on Bizantium (as well as my paper minis)..

Congrats to you both.

I have a feeling this book will be out before the end of this year.

Which would be totally excellent! :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work Palladium Books!

Ditto this!

Nice one Glen and MMM! Cannot tell you how much ive waited for another PFRPG book and as it happens my next campaign starts in bizantium!

Congrats!! Cannot wait to have the book, and will be ordering the minis as soon as they are available.
Now to get Kevin to release Dark Elf's book- which we are having a blast playing right now!!
My Twitter
Image Image
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Congrats to both of you. Keeping my fingers crossed that we see it this year (or at least early next year). I'm proud to see someone has broken the long PF drought. There yet remains hope for more. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Congrats to both of you. Keeping my fingers crossed that we see it this year (or at least early next year). I'm proud to see someone has broken the long PF drought. There yet remains hope for more. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Your up next with Land of the South Wind, my friend. Don't be afraid or too attracted to
somethings, Kevin knows what he's doing. 8) I'm not sure what skills will make it in, but
maybe you can "sneak" a few more in.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Reagren Wright wrote:Your up next with Land of the South Wind, my friend. Don't be afraid or too attracted to
somethings, Kevin knows what he's doing. 8) I'm not sure what skills will make it in, but

Greetings and Salutations. I'm too attracted to my wife. That's been slowing me down. :P Actually, in the last month I've been busy with last minute wedding preparations (married just under a week now), mini-honeymoon, losing my job, and various other stuff.

Though I did just do some more work on it today and yesterday. One of my problem childs I think has finally come together to near completion (I didn't finish it yet, but I did most of the hard stuff and have figured out the rest, now it's just a matter of time to work on it). I will try to sneak in some new skills (and Kevin knows about a few of them), though without giving too much away they'll be more combat related (and possibly a new skill category). I do have ideas for even more new skills, but none that fit this particular book.

And I trust Kevin knows what he's doing, and I'm not too attached to my work. I just want to finish it properly, and make sure I feel it's a quality product. I'll give another LotSW progress update in September. I do like my motivation the last couple of days. If I can stay in this type of mindset, the rest should be finished quickly. No promises though.

Enough about me though. I really am happy for you. Congratulations again. In fact, if you're going to the Open House 2015, hopefully it'll be out by then. I can pick up a copy there and have you sign it. That would be even more awesome. :ok: Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Sorry to hear about your job loss, but congrats on tying the knot!

Reagren Wright

Prysus wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Your up next with Land of the South Wind, my friend. Don't be afraid or too attracted to

Greetings and Salutations. I'm too attracted to my wife. That's been slowing me down. :P Actually, in the last month I've been busy with last minute wedding preparations (married just under a week now), mini-honeymoon, losing my job, and various other stuff.

Though I did just do some more work on it today and yesterday. One of my problem childs I think has finally come together to near completion (I didn't finish it yet, but I did most of the hard stuff and have figured out the rest, now it's just a matter of time to work on it). I will try to sneak in some new skills (and Kevin knows about a few of them), though without giving too much away they'll be more combat related (and possibly a new skill category). I do have ideas for even more new skills, but none that fit this particular book.

And I trust Kevin knows what he's doing, and I'm not too attached to my work. I just want to finish it properly, and make sure I feel it's a quality product. I'll give another LotSW progress update in September. I do like my motivation the last couple of days. If I can stay in this type of mindset, the rest should be finished quickly. No promises though.

Enough about me though. I really am happy for you. Congratulations again. In fact, if you're going to the Open House 2015, hopefully it'll be out by then. I can pick up a copy there and have you sign it. That would be even more awesome. :ok: Farewell and safe journeys.

Yes keep the wife happy, it's the only way your allowed to write.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Sir Dellis wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

Kevin and the crew always put out good quality, but tbh, I'm very close to "giving up" on ever seeing a new title for PFRPG. I've been playing since high school when a friend first introduced to me the game way back in 1988. Splicers and the zombie title have come out and gotten new titles since the last time a new title for PFRPG was released. What is it going to take for them to actually release a title for us?

Uhhh did you see the last release for the PFRPG line? It was one of the most shoddy pieces of work they have ever done..
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

I'm liking what I see on the paper minis!

Actually Bizantium seems along the lines of something PB may actually let get published. Established part of the world (Both from the High Seas Book and additional material in the Northern Hinterlands.) So if it's just some additional details on a somewhat established but not fully fleshed out part of the world then that seems more likely to get approved.

Although I'd like to hear just exactly what is supposed to be in it and what the expectations are for it.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

URLeader Hobbes wrote:
Uhhh did you see the last release for the PFRPG line? It was one of the most shoddy pieces of work they have ever done..

You're referring to Mysteries of Magic?

Reagren Wright

URLeader Hobbes wrote:

I'm liking what I see on the paper minis!

Actually Bizantium seems along the lines of something PB may actually let get published. Established part of the world (Both from the High Seas Book and additional material in the Northern Hinterlands.) So if it's just some additional details on a somewhat established but not fully fleshed out part of the world then that seems more likely to get approved.

Although I'd like to hear just exactly what is supposed to be in it and what the expectations are for it.

At this point, I'm not sure what Matt and Kevin will keep, throw out, or expand upon. But that being said looking at the things
they mention I will confirm you get a fully detailed history and geography of Bizantium that was never included in High Seas.
You will get details on how the humans arrived on the Northern Islands and why the Northern Language is unique compared to
the rest of the world. The Eoten are an R.C.C., who are the original inhabitants of the Northern Islands. They're an ancient
race that traces its origins back to the Age of Chaos. You get three new Bizantium ships, including the Battleship which is
simply badXXX. You will get stats on animals hunted in the North Sea (the sea north of the Great Northern Wilderness,
Bizantium, etc) along with monsters and animals of the Sea of Despair). The Serpent Chaser (not the original name of the
O.C.C., but that's okay) is a fisher (fisherman) who is sort of Captain Ahab (Moby Dick) and Quint (the boat captain from
Jaws) who is obsessed with hunting dangerous animals of the sea, namely sea serpents and he has the bonuses to do it and
live. Bizantium Marines are part soldiers/part sailors, and experts at amphibious warfare. You will get some great NPCs (if you
like the material seen in Timiro in Rifter #63 its just like that). King Raedean the IV is an imbecile (and his stats reflect it)
in charge of this kingdom surrounded by people pulling his strings. If your a fan of Games of Thrones you will love the political
intrigue of Bizantium which is very easy to get player characters involved in. The weapons (most of which are based on real
bone weapons) are unique to the area, as is the equipment and gear.

Now as for the Iceborn (not their original name, but again I don't care) :demon: I'm not telling. What was said should be
intrigued enough for yeah. Be very afraid!!!

That's all I will say on the matter because its out of my hands. But there are O.C.C.s, weapons, toys, adventure ideas,
warlocks (maybe some new warlock spells if they choose to keep or add too), sea serpents (which I'm hoping Chuck does the
artwork for, especially the Iceborn :D ), and just a mess of stuff for Palladium Fantasy fans to sink their chops in too. AND
best of all there is a hook deliberately written in the material that I'm hoping Kevin takes and expands upon if he so chooses
involving the BLACK WALL (which has been updated since Island at the Edge of the World). The idea was originally his and I'm
hoping to nudge him into and I'm anxious to see if he bites and let his imagination go wild (in other words we get more
Fantasy Book in the near future :wink: ).
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Reagren Wright wrote:At this point, I'm not sure what Matt and Kevin will keep, throw out, or expand upon. But that being said looking at the things
they mention I will confirm you get a fully detailed history and geography of Bizantium that was never included in High Seas.
You will get details on how the humans arrived on the Northern Islands and why the Northern Language is unique compared to
the rest of the world. The Eoten are an R.C.C., who are the original inhabitants of the Northern Islands. They're an ancient
race that traces its origins back to the Age of Chaos. You get three new Bizantium ships, including the Battleship which is
simply badXXX. You will get stats on animals hunted in the North Sea (the sea north of the Great Northern Wilderness,
Bizantium, etc) along with monsters and animals of the Sea of Despair). The Serpent Chaser (not the original name of the
O.C.C., but that's okay) is a fisher (fisherman) who is sort of Captain Ahab (Moby Dick) and Quint (the boat captain from
Jaws) who is obsessed with hunting dangerous animals of the sea, namely sea serpents and he has the bonuses to do it and
live. Bizantium Marines are part soldiers/part sailors, and experts at amphibious warfare. You will get some great NPCs (if you
like the material seen in Timiro in Rifter #63 its just like that). King Raedean the IV is an imbecile (and his stats reflect it)
in charge of this kingdom surrounded by people pulling his strings. If your a fan of Games of Thrones you will love the political
intrigue of Bizantium which is very easy to get player characters involved in. The weapons (most of which are based on real

Now as for the Iceborn (not their original name, but again I don't care) :demon: I'm not telling. What was said should be

That's all I will say on the matter because its out of my hands. But there are O.C.C.s, weapons, toys, adventure ideas,
warlocks (maybe some new warlock spells if they choose to keep or add too), sea serpents (which I'm hoping Chuck does the
artwork for, especially the Iceborn :D ), and just a mess of stuff for Palladium Fantasy fans to sink their chops in too. AND
best of all there is a hook deliberately written in the material that I'm hoping Kevin takes and expands upon if he so chooses
involving the BLACK WALL (which has been updated since Island at the Edge of the World). The idea was originally his and I'm
hoping to nudge him into and I'm anxious to see if he bites and let his imagination go wild (in other words we get more

:ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:At this point, I'm not sure what Matt and Kevin will keep, throw out, or expand upon. But that being said looking at the things

:ok:

Wow.... some of this is like you read my mind.... or some of my players logs dealing with Bizantium!!!
My Twitter
Image Image
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:
Sir Dellis wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

MoM was fine
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:Uhhh did you see the last release for the PFRPG line? It was one of the most shoddy pieces of work they have ever done..

I'm confused? The most recent PFRPG books to my memory are Mysteries of Magic, which was ultra solid with a lot of good writing and interesting magic bits, and before that it was what? Land of the Damned? (Discounting 'megaversal' books like Hades / Dyval, which where also solid and well thought out). And LoD was fantastic in nearly every way. Like I think my biggest complaint of either book was the cover art.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

my biggest complaint with Mysteries of magic was that it wasn't bigger
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Bit off topic with MoM (which I didnt like).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Hmm... Byzantium. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed. That said, I'm not super-stoked.

I love Byzantium as it was laid out in Adventures on the High Seas. The Northern Hinterlands Shadow Colonies section was a good addition. I love this part of the setting, and I'm glad to see it getting more fleshed-out.

The thing is, I feel like Byzantium has been done. It's not that it doesn't deserve its own book, but I feel like there are some gaping holes in the canon that should be getting some treatment first. The Old Kingdom comes to mind, as does the Land of South Winds, LotD3, Yin Sloth 2nd Ed, Ophid's Grasslands, and Phi and Lopan. I'd like to see more campaign books like Island at the Edge of the World.

That misgiving aside, it sounds like the book has some real potential. I look forward to seeing it.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Hotrod wrote:Hmm... Byzantium. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed. That said, I'm not super-stoked.

I love Byzantium as it was laid out in Adventures on the High Seas. The Northern Hinterlands Shadow Colonies section was a good addition. I love this part of the setting, and I'm glad to see it getting more fleshed-out.

The thing is, I feel like Byzantium has been done. It's not that it doesn't deserve its own book, but I feel like there are some gaping holes in the canon that should be getting some treatment first. The Old Kingdom comes to mind, as does the Land of South Winds, LotD3, Yin Sloth 2nd Ed, Ophid's Grasslands, and Phi and Lopan. I'd like to see more campaign books like Island at the Edge of the World.

That misgiving aside, it sounds like the book has some real potential. I look forward to seeing it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. :ok:

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Yes,I think Land of South winds,Phi and lopan would be a better Pic.
Reagren Wright

Hotrod wrote:Hmm... Byzantium. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disappointed. That said, I'm not super-stoked.

I actually agree with you :) . However, if you really look at what information is available in AinHS, for instance what
things there are to do in Bizantium (the city) if you were an adventuring party and arrived there. Flip through the pages and
tell me what do you see that would interest you. What is not there has been made, what is there has been expanded upon,
and consider this AinHS was "never made" into 2nd edition. All the material from 1st edition to 2nd edition was just
transfered over, just like it was for Timiro in Old Kingdom. I decided Palladium could do better for this part of the world. Like
the rest of you I'm eager to see if the individual working on Land of the South Winds completed submission will be good
enough to become cannon. I'd like to see Lopanic Games (actually hoping to play that adventure at the Open House if able)
especially if he can include further information about the rest of Lopan and Phi. Ophid Grasslands is pretty much covered by
Hinterlands, unless someone decides its needs further info. As for LotD3 and the Old Kingdom Books (Lowlands and
Mountains) :wink: . Sometimes you just have to get your foot in the door before you sell your best material to the owner.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Oh, I'm not saying there isn't room for more detail. Far from it. That said, the critical big-picture data is all there. You're adding in some new stuff (as you should), but it doesn't sound like you're changing the fundamental nature or themes of the kingdom.

It's true, Northern Hinterlands does include about 7 pages of fluff about Ophid's Grasslands, including one megalomaniac NPC, but considering the size and diversity of the region, and the three particularly noteworthy places (The Vault of Destiny, The Palladium of Desires, and the Devil's Mark), I'd like to see more. I'd also like to see some detailed maps. Hinterlands spends a lot more pages on the Shadow Colonies and Kiridin than it does on Ophid's Grasslands, and it's quite vague on the locations and layouts of the grassland's most-interesting places.

Speaking of maps, which representation of Byzantium and the northern islands are you using as canon? Byzantium's shape and the number/shape of secondary islands is different in the world map than it is in the detail maps in High Seas. Are you re-using old maps, creating your own, or looking for someone to do your cartography?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright

Neither. My friend Miles created a brand new map of the region. Took over a Gig of memory to make. Its a full detailed map
of the entire region, all the islands, North Sea, Sea of Despair, and even includes parts of Land of the Damned. The details
are similar to what we did for Timiro in Rifter #63. You will see roads, trails, geographic features, etc. Now I'm not certain
they're going to be using the map, I'll check with Kevin at GenCon to verify.

Am I changing the fundamental nature or theme of the kingdom? Hmm, well they still are a sea power, yes that remains the
same. However in High Seas we're told nothing about the monarchy or how it rules over its people. We now have a better
picture of Bizantium society and what sort of life Byzantines enjoy. If you rolled up a 1st level ranger and you used the
options table and learned he was from Bizantium, now you will have a complete history, culture, politics, influence of religion,
magic, education, laws, etc. There are things to do and places to go of interest, which to me is really important because if
the G.M. has his players going on an adventure in the area.

I have a friend who complains about the lack of detailed info about the Ophid Grasslands, to which I respond that if anyone
feels the same, please do what I did with Bizantium and Timiro and expand upon the region. More material is always good.

Right now since I'm not sure what stays, what's being editing, and what's being expanded upon, all I can say for certain is
what I did create and from what I like the rest of you read in the synoposis. My goal was to make something fun for players,
G.M. and for readers in general. I just hope I succeeded.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

That's great to hear, and yes, source files for maps often surpass a gigabyte, particularly if they have a lot of detail (most of mine are closer to two gigs, sometimes more!). I have yet to see an official map that truly blows me away, and your description sounds like it could be the first.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”