Power Matrix circle, linking more then one?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dragon Mage
Explorer

Power Matrix circle, linking more then one?

Unread post by Dragon Mage »

Hey,

Do you think its possible to link more then one Power Matrix?

Thanks!

-dragonmage-
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Power Matrix circle, linking more then one?

Unread post by eliakon »

Dragon Mage wrote:Hey,

Thanks!

-dragonmage-

There isn't anything to explicitly say it CAN'T be done, but then again nothing says you can either. This is going to probably have to be a GM's Call. I would, personally, say in most of my games "no", just because of worries about game balance. If I had to give a reason I would simply say that the PM can only balance four other circles, and that they have to be in fact, other circles. In a (very) high power game I might allow it, though the concept of what can be achieved can get world devastatingly boggling quickly.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I did. and it was awesome. I added several power matrix to the floor of my personal Dimensional pyramid.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Dragon Mage
Explorer

eliakon wrote:
Dragon Mage wrote:Hey,

Thanks!

-dragonmage-

There isn't anything to explicitly say it CAN'T be done, but then again nothing says you can either. This is going to probably have to be a GM's Call. I would, personally, say in most of my games "no", just because of worries about game balance. If I had to give a reason I would simply say that the PM can only balance four other circles, and that they have to be in fact, other circles. In a (very) high power game I might allow it, though the concept of what can be achieved can get world devastatingly boggling quickly.

Well I am the GM. Just looking for opinions since its not covered in the books that I can see.

I'll house role it once it does come up in the game.

R.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Yes, however the amount of floor space would be rather impressive.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I forget if circles even have minimum sizes, all I can remember is the 1inch min for wards.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:I forget if circles even have minimum sizes, all I can remember is the 1inch min for wards.

Nothing is explicitly stated, so I would presume that it can be as small as you can make it.....which varies depending on components, any needed sacrifices, if you have to stand inside it, etc.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I don't remember if I addressed this in the manuscript, but I'd be inclined to let it happen... if you have the space. However, I wouldn't let you stack benefits from identical power circles.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Dragon Mage
Explorer

Mark Hall wrote:I don't remember if I addressed this in the manuscript, but I'd be inclined to let it happen... if you have the space. However, I wouldn't let you stack benefits from identical power circles.

Thanks Mark. Didn't think about trying to stack identical circles.

-dragonmage-
Dragon Mage
Explorer

Wahker wrote:To be the rules monger here " the circle maker can manipulate them all (2-4 circles) while standing in the power matrix core circle" and the duration states "The magic is only active as long as it is occupied by somebody who knows how to use it magic"
Meaning for each matrix within the power circle matrix you will need a summoner to operate that matrix. Including all the power costs and materials.

But the central summoner could operate ALL circles within the Multi Matrix as long as summoners are in place to keep the other matrices active. The week link of course is the Central summoner.

Sorry you can't be sure this is how it would work considering they don't even tell you if you can link more then one matrix at the same time. It would have to be a GMs call first. Until they make some kind of canon rule regarding it.
Dragon Mage
Explorer

Nightfactory wrote:Doesn't the Bizantium Navy do this when they bind the 'Earth Force' to create their stone ships?

No its a modified elemental force summoning circle.
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

Since there isn't anything saying yes or no, it would be gms call.

I do agree with Wahker though, if you ruled you could link them together then each matrix would need a summoner/someone who knows what they're doing and a dragon helm. As a player it could fun, a gm could have a Hel of a good time with it.

Just imagine a cabal of summoners each with their own matrix, with the main villain in the middle. Could be a lot of fun.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Has it been clarified whether or not we can use other linking circles as the linked circles from the primary?

Like if 1 circle can contact 4, then the center attaches to 4 linkers, and each of those attached to 2 more, then you could manage 8?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Library Ogre

If I were to allow it, you would have to link the power matricies directly, not the circles they link... so you could do one matrix surrounded by 4 other matricies, giving you 12 total circles under your control (each of the 4 linking to 3 other circles and the central matrix), not 16 (one matrix linked to 4 circles, and each of those 4 circles linked to a matrix thereby 3 other circles).

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Sorry, I don't do much in PF, what is this Power Matrix circle being spoke about and what is the reference source?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:If I were to allow it, you would have to link the power matricies directly, not the circles they link... so you could do one matrix surrounded by 4 other matricies, giving you 12 total circles under your control (each of the 4 linking to 3 other circles and the central matrix), not 16 (one matrix linked to 4 circles, and each of those 4 circles linked to a matrix thereby 3 other circles).

Which would, in theory, allow for one Dragon Helm, since the person in a Matrix is treated as standing in the others....so you stand in Matrix 1, with a helm. And are ALSO, magically speaking, standing in the four connected Matrix 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d. Of course this is where things get, wonky since you could then, in theory have each of THOSE four circles have sub circles, that have sub circles that have......

Library Ogre

FatherMorpheus wrote:Sorry, I don't do much in PF, what is this Power Matrix circle being spoke about and what is the reference source?

Power Matrix is a power "circle" that allows you to use up to 4 circles simultaneously.

All Palladium Articles
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:
FatherMorpheus wrote:Sorry, I don't do much in PF, what is this Power Matrix circle being spoke about and what is the reference source?

Power Matrix is a power "circle" that allows you to use up to 4 circles simultaneously.

Which book is it in?
Library Ogre

The Palladium Fantasy Main Book. The section on Summoners.

All Palladium Articles
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:The Palladium Fantasy Main Book. The section on Summoners.

Thanks. :)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”