My Wizard and his Djinn.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

My Wizard and his Djinn.

Unread post by pblackcrow »

I have recently had the pleasure to have been "given" 3 wishes by a djinn. :-) I SORT OF CAPITALIZED ON IT! My 1st wish was that he always treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would. #2 was for him to serve me for infinity time infinity. And for the 3rd one he can serve no ones other then me and said that it included in both interest as well as deed. Then I ask his true name, stored it in my mind. Then gave him his new name. No, it wasn't Bridget. It was Ali Khem Sharhar.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: My Wizard and his Djinn.

Unread post by kiralon »

pblackcrow wrote:I have recently had the pleasure to have been "given" 3 wishes by a djinn. :-) I SORT OF CAPITALIZED ON IT! My 1st wish was that he always treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would. #2 was for him to serve me for infinity time infinity. And for the 3rd one he can serve no ones other then me and said that it included in both interest as well as deed. Then I ask his true name, stored it in my mind. Then gave him his new name. No, it wasn't Bridget. It was Ali Khem Sharhar.

Remember they don't have the ability to produce things out of thin air, they are just usually tough enough to do the wish. (i.e. you wish for 100000gp, they go take it from a bank and give it to you, and while they are their robbing they are also probably taunting the bank staff the so and so the almighty has decided that this money is his and that if you have a problem with it he is staying at an inn down the street)
Your idea of friends and his idea of friends and how you treat them is different (check diabolical)
If someone else catches him the curse will activate and he will have to obey them as he cant control the curse, same with summoning and demon control, he will attempt to do as you wish but if he is forced otherwise well then bad luck.
as the second and third wishes are technically impossible for him they would likely fail, but he would try.

Jinn are evil backstabbing bastards. I would make 3 wishes, and the second last one would be for him to have nothing further to do with me or my friends. The last one would be to leave the palladium world and never willingly return.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Well, I hope you can enjoy it. If I was the GM, after that, I would give that Djinn the most annoying voice and personality I could muster. As I remember Djinn wishes are more often devices to mess with players. Good luck mate, how was your GM with that?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

pblackcrow wrote:I have recently had the pleasure to have been "given" 3 wishes by a djinn. :-) I SORT OF CAPITALIZED ON IT! My 1st wish was that he always treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would.

Greetings and Salutations. So your wish (if I were the G.M.) is to curse your "truest, loyal and must trusted friend" so that friend will betray you? Well, an odd wish, but if that's what you really want. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Well, he did say the way he would hope his best friend would treat him. To me that's more of a wish that would curse his character to want to be mistreated by his best friend. :lol:

Would a Jerry Lewis-like Djinn be over the top?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Jerell wrote:Well, he did say the way he would hope his best friend would treat him. To me that's more of a wish that would curse his character to want to be mistreated by his best friend. :lol:

Greetings and Salutations. I did catch the "hope" word in there, but too many flaws with it. It either means that the Jinn is left to guess what that means (which brings us back to the Jinn's alignment as kiralon mentioned), or you to give access to your mind to the Jinn so it can know, though granting access to your mind to a demon before it knows what you want can be equally dangerous. As such, I went in favor of the Jinn following by example.

Note: That's just one way to twist the wish. Another way (something someone else once mentioned) is taking sentences and numbering all that's included. In this case, "truest, loyal, and most trusted friend" is actually three wishes. 1: truest friend, 2: loyal friend, 3: most trusted friend. He listed three things, and thus it would become three wishes. Since the wish will be granted within 48 hours, and using all three wishes in one sentence, there's no time limit on how long he must act as such a friend. I might be generous enough to grant a full 48 hours. Of course, the Jinn would also never reveal his true name in this situation as there's a huge difference between friend and mindless lackey.

Jerell wrote:Would a Jerry Lewis-like Djinn be over the top?

I tend to only find Jerry Lewis moderately annoying at worst (I actually think I've had to play with far worse character types before, but I could be wrong). Though, admittedly, I've never had to put up with it for long so hard to say. I do find the concept amusing though. :ok: Maybe if I experienced it I'd be thinking: "OMG!! :eek: Jerell is a diabolical genius!" Hmm ... actually, come to think of it, I imagine it would be one of those moderately annoying things ... that I could still laugh about with the G.M. after in good fun. So in that mind frame, even better.

Though, I guess, maybe the point of this thread wasn't to see how many different ways we could break his wishes, huh? *Quietly slinks off into the shadows.* Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
pblackcrow
Champion

Jerell wrote:Good luck mate, how was your GM with that?

My GM was very shocked and stunned. He sat there with his mouth opened for a few. Then he said "You suck." about 5 or more times, and then laughed and said, "I love your logic, I truly do! But, bloody hell!" Mumbled something about now having to change the alignment and nature of this djinn for the next game. And asked me what I wanted with an earth djinn anyway. I said "Simple to build, grow, ETC.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Good Luck with it :)

Remember, if the Jinn can't read your mind to know what you meant so he would either have to make it up. That's the way id go as DM "What do you mean ? stabbing you in the back while you slept is against the rules ? well who would have thought, im soooo sorry, if you had been a little clearer with your wish I might have known that, as my best friends would stab me in the front, back, left, right, up and down, at the same time if they could manage it" and it would apply to the third wish. Remember they aren't omnipotent, and will make up things they don't know if forced to choose.
Also if my best friend asked for my truename I would only give it if he gave me his as well, as far as I know the only thing that can force a true name out of somebody is mind bond.

If the wishing for unlimited servitude worked they would all be under the control of the first or second person that got the wishes as that is a very common wish, as is "I wish for unlimited wishes" which is what you basically wished for knowing how palladium Jinn wishes work.
and wishing for more wishes with a wish never works, and the description does say you can wish for things and not get them as they are beyond the power of a jinn.

and remember as your friend it wont hurt you, but what's to stop it from slaughtering every villager you come across, or burning down churches etc as its does know your thoughts (unless you let him psionically mind probe you or mind bond each other - glurrk), and telling him without the wish might not work because he can say "oh, you were serious about that, I thought you were joking" every time he does something wrong because until he can read your mind he wont know for sure, as mortals lie and cheat with the best of them.

Jinn are evil and vindictive, and the more time under you control the more evil and vindictive they get.
pblackcrow
Champion

Not hardly, and I really DOUBT that happening. #1. We are using Palladium's Djinn just for the stats, and Al-Qadim's Secrets of the Lamp for personalities. Basically, we are using Palladium for stats but playing in Zakhara. So, basically, yeah...We are doing a game in a D&D realm right now. And why not? It gets boring if we stick to just one place.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

So basically what your saying is. Hey here is something cool I did in another game to something that is sort-of-kinda-almost like what the rest of you are talking about, but we house ruled away all the negative stuff that might cause problems. Then I ambushed my GM with something that gives me super-duper-powerz, and it will work perfectly since otherwise he is either being a rules lawyer or unfair?
Or....What was the point of the OP? Just to brag about how you can trick your GM?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
pblackcrow
Champion

#1. It is totally Jason's world!!! He can do with it as he likes...he is the GM. #2. We are using Palladium stats...true, he has had to convert a few things over, but we are having fun. Yes, we are playing in another game's world...so what? Our group does that!!! And usually we have a blast doing it. #3. I simply did something that no one thought or dared to do before in their games. I am good at taking a bad situation and turning it into gold.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Jinn tend to be tricksy no matter the game (Al Qadim included)
Id be expecting backstabbing and trickery from him, and the wishes of those jinn fail if the wisher asks for too much if memory serves me, as there is a list of things you cant wish for. (most rpg's have this too)

Just be wary, it might be just playing along with you to backstab you at a much more fun time, and don't be surprised if it does, because if it can work like that why are there any free jinn, as the wishes you have tried aren't unusual, and the person who bound it would have tried the same thing.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

pblackcrow wrote:My 1st wish was that he always treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would.

So all he has to do is gradually alter your character's view of what an ideal friend is?

pblackcrow wrote:#2 was for him to serve me for infinity time infinity.
Which wouldn't count as a wish at all, since it's impossible and nonsensical.

Look forward to receiving a plate full of dead mice, 2 of which have been named 'infinity' and the other two 'time and four'.

pblackcrow wrote:for the 3rd one he can serve no ones other then me and said that it included in both interest as well as deed.
Is this all one wish? I'm not even sure what you're saying here, TBH. That said, he could easily wiggle a "I'm OBEYING them, NOT serving them, it's not service in MY opinion" type thing.

pblackcrow wrote:Then I ask his true name, stored it in my mind. Then gave him his new name.

Considering that summoners who win Battle of Wills can't simply request a True Name, one might assume this applies to Djinn wishes as well.

pblackcrow wrote:No, it wasn't Bridget.
Dang, no Guilty Gear related demands to put on the Djinn which might be more expected of D'arota than D'jinn?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

kiralon wrote:Jinn tend to be tricksy no matter the game (Al Qadim included)
Id be expecting backstabbing and trickery from him, and the wishes of those jinn fail if the wisher asks for too much if memory serves me, as there is a list of things you cant wish for. (most rpg's have this too)

Just be wary, it might be just playing along with you to backstab you at a much more fun time, and don't be surprised if it does, because if it can work like that why are there any free jinn, as the wishes you have tried aren't unusual, and the person who bound it would have tried the same thing.

You just know how evil my Jinn's are... and your own....
I agree somewhat with the previous comment- don't act like it is a Palladium jinn when it is not at all...
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

How many "friends" have gitten you into unneeded fights, ate your food, NOT replaced the tp, drank all your booze, borrowed money and never paid it back, called at three in the morning, I'm guessing lots. Hell other than stealing your woman NOT much a truest friend cant do and be forgiven for. Enjoy lol.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Ah but
treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would.

People don't generally hope their trusted friends (of a true/loyal nature) will do that stuff.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
smashed
Wanderer

Unread post by smashed »

Hope it works out well for you, but personally I would consider the wish #1 to come into conflict with wishes #2 and #3. How would your truest, loyal, and most trusted friend treat you after you forced him to serve you and only you above all others for all time? If my closest friend did that, the best I would reward him with, would be a quick death.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

If I were the GM, the second you said you wanted the Jinn to serve you infinitely, your character would become undead, as that is the only way you can be served without being an immortal and it would be up to GM what kind of immortality you get. That is, if I allowed such wishes to be fulfilled. I am pretty sure the curse that links the genie to the lamp and the limitation on how many wishes you get would preclude you getting the jinn to become your best buddy forever.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Tor wrote:Ah but
treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would.

People don't generally hope their trusted friends (of a true/loyal nature) will do that stuff.

So we can be truest friends Tor :( sad now.
pblackcrow
Champion

The GM and I had a chat today before the game...About what I wanted from the Djinn and I explained to him all that I have in mind for the Djinn...and I would share with you guys but it was rather extensive and it is now way past my bed time. Basically what I meant by the whole infinity x infinity was when this character finally died his servant would still serve his causes and help.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

I prefer the wishes the Atlantean Techno-Wizard made in the Rifts Novels; the djinn had to cut all ties with the material world, leave without doing anything to anyone, and actively prevent any other djinn he interacts with in other dimensions from interfering with the Rifts plane as well.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:If I were the GM, the second you said you wanted the Jinn to serve you infinitely, your character would become undead, as that is the only way you can be served without being an immortal and it would be up to GM what kind of immortality you get. That is, if I allowed such wishes to be fulfilled. I am pretty sure the curse that links the genie to the lamp and the limitation on how many wishes you get would preclude you getting the jinn to become your best buddy forever.

The main issue there is Jinn don't get any special powers to grant wishes, they can only use their natural powers to attempt to get whatever is requested of them. So jinn can't turn you into undead as they have no necromantic ability whatsoever.

On the other hand, it is an Earth Jinn, meaning it has the earth spell to transfer essence into a golem. so it could do that.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

They could be owed a favor from a necromancer or vampire who might manage it.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

pblackcrow wrote:I have recently had the pleasure to have been "given" 3 wishes by a djinn. :-) I SORT OF CAPITALIZED ON IT! My 1st wish was that he always treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would. #2 was for him to serve me for infinity time infinity. And for the 3rd one he can serve no ones other then me and said that it included in both interest as well as deed. Then I ask his true name, stored it in my mind. Then gave him his new name. No, it wasn't Bridget. It was Ali Khem Sharhar.

Ohhh you have done it now... If I was your GM you would be sooooo screwed. Keep in mind these beings have massively different points of view.

1. Chances are your truest, loyal and trusted friend isn't a Djinn. But if he was what would he do? Your GM now has a loophole that he can drive an 18 wheeler through!
2. I wonder if the Djinn will be serving you with a side dish to some monsters or just raw. Don't worry he'll get you brought back from the dead at some point and then have to serve you up again. Oh this won't be just once it will be FOR ALL TIME!!! Or maybe he won't actually kill you. He'll just be serving pieces of you up and then getting you healed to have it begin all over again. (Oh I'd start by cutting out your tongue and hands.. Less likely chance you reveal his true name that way.
3. He will be serving your interests since you wished for these things to happen to you. But hey no worries that he will ever stop as he will have to start serving someone else. That ain't gonna happen since you phrased your wish so poorly.

Welcome to your own personal hell you have created.

Just remember when your character is screaming "Why are you doing this?!?" Don't be alarmed that the Djinn says "Well master you wished for it."
Last edited by URLeader Hobbes on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

pblackcrow wrote:The GM and I had a chat today before the game...About what I wanted from the Djinn and I explained to him all that I have in mind for the Djinn...and I would share with you guys but it was rather extensive and it is now way past my bed time. Basically what I meant by the whole infinity x infinity was when this character finally died his servant would still serve his causes and help.

It may be what you wanted... But not what you wished for... You should have been more careful.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

You know how sometimes you get mad at someone and wish they'd die but you won't do it due to repercussions?

Well now your Djinn is doing that, and orphaning your rival's kids.
pblackcrow
Champion

Well, as it happens...The Djinn has out lived the character. An assassin/mage of some kind from the guild of the black vipers have finally had a successful mission. I turned when I was told to duck. Decapitated my wizard. C'est la vie. The GM assured me the Djinn had nothing to do with it. That the reward had gone way high. Plus because I had suddenly became a public figure...An easy mark by all considerations. I should have thought to cast sanctum in the hallway.

They had some how stolen his head from the temple and well burnt it.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Sounds like it's time to roll up an Ogre mercenary and claim revenge! :twisted:
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Super. Blackvault. MageBane!!!
pblackcrow
Champion

LOL...Nah, there is no need. Besides, we are starting on my game next.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Will you be sending a grudge monster then?
pblackcrow
Champion

No...Why would I? Besides it worked out well, Jason got the chance to stop GMing and study for finals. I got the chance to step up with my "Pirates of Dark Water" game. Give him a chance to play and vent about his classes. Blah blah blah.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

pblackcrow wrote:My 1st wish was that he always treat me as I would hope my truest, loyal, and most trusted friend would.

I would have the jinn find your current friend that fits this description. then corrupt that persons to insanely evil (via magic). then treat you with insane evilness.

The buzz words and truest/trusted - so he must be honest yet keep your secrets. IF he's asked...
Loyal - giving constant support. And he would be you see he may have an ulterior motive but he is specifically being cruel to ur friend and not you. He can still be loyal whislt he does this. Then once his plan unwinds he can be evil..

Watch out!

(Ok, Ive overthought that a little but its what GM's do - C'mon!)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Not consistent with crow's wording, he said "as I would hope my friend would" not "as my friend would"
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Tor wrote:Not consistent with crow's wording, he said "as I would hope my friend would" not "as my friend would"

Good point. In that case as the Jinn doenst actually know what he would hope his friend would.... he can make it up as he pleases.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

pblackcrow wrote:No...Why would I?

In the words of B-ko, "REVENGE IS SWEET, SWEET, SWEET!" :twisted:
:lol:

pblackcrow wrote:Besides it worked out well, Jason got the chance to stop GMing and study for finals. I got the chance to step up with my "Pirates of Dark Water" game. Give him a chance to play and vent about his classes. Blah blah blah.

Well that's good anyways. Sometimes the GM needs a break too. :bandit:
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I think if a Djinn doesn't know what the character hopes they would have to ask the character what their hopes are.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Tor wrote:I think if a Djinn doesn't know what the character hopes they would have to ask the character what their hopes are.

Nah, I think they would guess (you didn't hope to be hung, drawn and quartered, but surely master, isn't that the best thing your puny buglike race could hope for ? if not you should have said otherwise master)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”