What is the Perception Roll ?!?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dcfitch
D-Bee
Comment: Father of five kids; husband to one wife; and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next...

What is the Perception Roll ?!?

Unread post by dcfitch »

I was rolling up an Elven Ranger last night and I noticed the "Perception Roll" line at the bottom of the Savings Throws box on the character sheet. Unfortunately, I cannot find a rule for Perception Rolls anywhere in the book. What am I missing? HELP! (Did I miss my own Perception Roll...?)
Prysus
Champion

Re: What is the Perception Roll ?!?

Unread post by Prysus »

dcfitch wrote:I was rolling up an Elven Ranger last night and I noticed the "Perception Roll" line at the bottom of the Savings Throws box on the character sheet. Unfortunately, I cannot find a rule for Perception Rolls anywhere in the book. What am I missing? HELP! (Did I miss my own Perception Roll...?)

Greetings and Salutations. Oh wow ... I never even realized that's listed on the Character Sheets before. Huh ...

Anyways, Perception Folls are not included in any of the Palladium Fantasy books. They were first found (as far as I know) in the Nightbane/Nightspawn setting. They've since seen print in Rifts Ultimate Edition (and I think Beyond the Supernatural Second Edition and Splicers, but I'd have to check on those last two).

Been a while since I've read their description (or I've probably never used them as written in the book), so I can't sum the rules up for you. At least you know where to look (and maybe someone will come along and try to snapshot the Perception rules for you). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Page 367 in the Rifts Ultimate Edition.

Essentially is a d20 roll with set levels.

4-7: Easy
8-13: Moderate
4-16: Challenging
17-20: Difficult.

If you search the forums you can find some much better house ruled perception rolls.
Big C
D-Bee

Unread post by Big C »

I make the perception rolls 3x the IQ and that's their %. They need to roll under that when they roll for %..... Hope this helps.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I use a perception stat, humies 3d6, elves 4d6, dwarves 3d6 but no extra roll on 16-18, wolfen 3d6 orcs 3d6 goblins 3d6 etc, and use the equivalent pp bonus for strike bonuses with ranged weapons and give negatives or bonuses depending on whats happening.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/26640.html

Rule 4: Perception
Perception checks have become an important part of modern gaming. Do I notice the prowler? Who caught sight of the ambushers? The current system, however, doesn't neatly mesh with Palladium's skill system. Rule 4 is about a new perception system, and how to convert old perception bonuses to this new system. Under Rule 4, Perception is computed as a percentile, like skills. This allows for faster comparison with skills like Prowl, Concealment, and Camouflage. The contest is directly between percentages, as in Rule 2, instead of converting a d20 roll into a percentage, or vice versa.

To use perception as a percentage, the Game Master should come up with a base difficulty for the situation, to which you add your entire I.Q. score, and any Perception bonuses you may have. Perception bonuses from the old system should be multiplied by 5 to get a percentage bonus; if your skills and O.C.C. previously gave you a +3 to Perception, you now have a +15%. A very difficult check may have only a 10% base chance, but smart or observant P.C.s will have a greater chance of succeeding. An easy check may have a 60% or 70% base chance. When Perception has a contest with a skill, assume a base difficulty of 40%, giving an average person a 50/50 chance of succeeding. Since this is a skill contest, the contested skill may still succeed by rolling a higher successful check.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”