Agu and Nickodemeus and Witch Pacts and non-Minotaur Priests

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Agu and Nickodemeus and Witch Pacts and non-Minotaur Priests

Unread post by Tor »

The main book's section on witches continually reiterates that witches are evil. Page 112 "a direct link and willing allegiance to an evil supernatural being" + "empowerment by that evil force" + "must make an evil supernatural force" Page 113 (gift of union) "alignment immediately changes to the same evil alignment as its supernatural master"

Even though the Old Ones and Deevil Lords are groups whose members can explicitly make witch pacts, would you say the anarchist alignments of Agu/Nick would prevent them from making witches since they are not evil beings?

Same question pertains to other Anarchist alien intelligences, like Splyyncryth the Splugorth over in Rifts Atlantis. I would think his inability to make witches would be something notable since Witches are explicitly mentioned as part of Splugorth social infrastructure. Their omission from Atlantis' would seem worth a mention if it were a limit.

Would anyone know if there has ever been anything to support or contradict this conclusion? Any notes about Agu or Nick lacking witches, or a witch dedicated exclusively to one of them?

I'm thinking it could be possible that these guys are the sole witchless members of their respective groups and this was just oversighted. It wouldn't contradict generic statements since all the other Old Ones and Deevil Lords are evil and so could account for the mass amount of witches dedicated to both numbers.

If anarchist witch-makers are allowed, would you say their witches could also be anarchist? Or would they have to be evil to? What about the Gift of Union where your alignment changes to match your master's? Initially in CB1, rather than changing to match it just made you Miscreant (which is why, in Rifts Mercenaries, Ahriman's witch is only Miscreant and not fully Diabolic like his master). In PF to keep with the 'witches are evil' theme, would you take that approach and make Anarchist-Unioned witches Miscreants?

Also on a semi-related note, WB2-OldOnesPg13 says "Other races can pledge themselves to the Old Ones, but still get the standard witch O.C.C. abilities. Only the Minotaur can bond with the Old Ones in such a ways as to receive incredible powers." for the special DOTOO (Disciples of the Old Ones) aka Minotaur Witch OCC. Following that is the "Minotaur Chaos Priest" later abbreviated to just 'Chaos Priest'. While I can't find a similar explicit mention of non-minotaurs lacking the added abilities, I figure it's a safe bet that it's the same here and that non-Minotaurs are just standard Priests of Darkness without added abilities?

Edit: also since the Old Ones book has a circle that makes you into an elf, and Kirgi priests can make people into Ratlings, and there's a deific power that can make you into a deevil or demon, if this is done to a Minotaur who is either of these OCCs, do you think they would lose their unique abilities? Do you think they would get the normal abilities in place of them, or nothing at all? Also what about Space Minotaurs from Anvil Galaxy?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Lukterran
Adventurer

Re: Agu and Nickodemeus and Witch Pacts and non-Minotaur Pri

Unread post by Lukterran »

It is logical to assume that it is possible for a witch to be he same alignment as his/her master. So in those special occasions a witch could be Anarchist. Like Agu or Nickodemeus. And break the normal "rule" btw all rules can be changed it is the first rule!

And I refuse to address the Space Minotaur question because it just silly.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Is it? The Asgardian/Star elves are probably enhanced forms of normal ones, same with the Asgardian/Anvil Dwarves and normal dwarves. I assume the same of Space Minotaurs.

Not sure about Ratinoids. They look a lot more different from normal Ratlings and don't have 'ling' in the name. I'll let Kirgi decide.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I think the more likely issue is not that Agu/Splyncryth are unable to do so because they lack the power, but are unable to justify it ethically to themselves. Thus they do not because they cannot.

Mind, one could read this to mean that they may persue other avenues of life force bonding that is not witchery. prehaps they make Mystically bestowed/empowered beings a la HU instead.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

What is unethical about creating a witch though? Also if Splynncryth opted not to make witches, surely Atlantis would have mentioned this when they are mentioned thoroughly in the minion command tree.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:What is unethical about creating a witch though? Also if Splynncryth opted not to make witches, surely Atlantis would have mentioned this when they are mentioned thoroughly in the minion command tree.

I don't know. What is ethical about creating something that is required to be evil?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:What is unethical about creating a witch though? Also if Splynncryth opted not to make witches, surely Atlantis would have mentioned this when they are mentioned thoroughly in the minion command tree.

It says only evil beings make witches, this pretty clearly means it's an evil act.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Reading specifically, yup, though we're still in the dark as to why... possibly the only way to extend power is to make pacts of an evil nature, which is why we see none of that 'swear to protect the kingdom of hospitals' stuff... although I'm not sure why that couldn't fall under 40yrs servitude.
Dragon Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Dragon Mage »

Tor wrote:Edit: also since the Old Ones book has a circle that makes you into an elf, and Kirgi priests can make people into Ratlings, and there's a deific power that can make you into a deevil or demon, if this is done to a Minotaur who is either of these OCCs, do you think they would lose their unique abilities? Do you think they would get the normal abilities in place of them, or nothing at all? Also what about Space Minotaurs from Anvil Galaxy?

Only Minotaur's should get either of those R.C.C.'s. Even with the circle you mentioned they change there race thus they can no longer take the two R.C.C.'S. G.M. call for Space Minotaurs but I don't see why not. They are still Minotaurs so should still work with a good background story.

R. :clown:
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Tor wrote:Reading specifically, yup, though we're still in the dark as to why... possibly the only way to extend power is to make pacts of an evil nature, which is why we see none of that 'swear to protect the kingdom of hospitals' stuff... although I'm not sure why that couldn't fall under 40yrs servitude.

Well priests sort of have a power pact with gods. Maybe that's the only way demons can give power.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dragon Mage wrote:Only Minotaur's should get either of those R.C.C.'s. Even with the circle you mentioned they change there race thus they can no longer take the two R.C.C.'S.
What I'm discussing is what you think would happen to minotaurs who are ALREADY part of these race-exclusive classes if they were turned into ratlings.
Dragon Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Dragon Mage »

Tor wrote:
Dragon Mage wrote:Only Minotaur's should get either of those R.C.C.'s. Even with the circle you mentioned they change there race thus they can no longer take the two R.C.C.'S.
What I'm discussing is what you think would happen to minotaurs who are ALREADY part of these race-exclusive classes if they were turned into ratlings.

Well that would be a GM's call. I would say the character would become a normal witch. But that would be my game...For a special NPC with a good background for it I would allow it. But not for a PC...

R. :badbad:

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”