May sentient familiars learn magic and skills?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

May sentient familiars learn magic and skills?

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Can a sentient familiar learn magic and skills and still retain the familiar link? Why and why not? My GM wants to know.

Something odd happened to my familiar in the last game, it got blessed by an old elven high priest of Dragon Wright. So now that I have rerolled Drake's first three stats using 3d8's and talker to her about a occ for him...Then this has came up. And for the record, she did it so that I will have another character in the game, because things are going to get serious very fast when we resume playing these characters in the game.

Drake's my gm's version of a bookwyrm dragon (from Rifter 21)...it's more like the little fire lizards from Pern.

Me, I am okay either way. I will have about 3 years game time before I resume playing him. I can get another animal familiar easy enough. And since it didn't die, I don't go through the shock or any of that stuff.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: May sentient familiars learn magic and skills?

Unread post by eliakon »

pblackcrow wrote:Can a sentient familiar learn magic and skills and still retain the familiar link? Why and why not? My GM wants to know.

Something odd happened to my familiar in the last game, it got blessed by an old elven high priest of Dragon Wright. So now that I have rerolled Drake's first three stats using 3d8's and talker to her about a occ for him...Then this has came up. And for the record, she did it so that I will have another character in the game, because things are going to get serious very fast when we resume playing these characters in the game.

Drake's my gm's version of a bookwyrm dragon (from Rifter 21)...it's more like the little fire lizards from Pern.

Me, I am okay either way. I will have about 3 years game time before I resume playing him. I can get another animal familiar easy enough. And since it didn't die, I don't go through the shock or any of that stuff.

I would say that IF the familiar, is fully sentient, and there is no reason that its race couldn't learn magic, then there is no reason that it couldn't choose to study. That said remember the familiar is an NPC, so the GM would make the call and determine stuff like skills, spells, class, and the like. I would ALSO say that the newly sentient familiar would have a chance to automatically break the link if it chooses (one time only). If it chooses to remain the familiar then so be it, but the magic was not (usually) designed with binding sentient beings in mind and might break.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

havent got MoM with me but can you have a sentient familiar that isnt greater?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I can't remember if it got included in the final version of MoM, but I based those familiar rules off the ones "Through the Glass Darkly", which allows you to spend permanent PPE to "improve" your familiar.

I'd let them learn skills, or use their master's skills, depending on how the wording was done.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
pblackcrow
Champion

Thanks guys.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The only Familiar 'additions' that let them cast magic are only found in the Rifter issue with said additions in them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

As TTGD lets you have intelligent familiars like Night Gnomes and Beautiful People, so long as they fulfilled the OCC requirements I don't see why they couldn't spend the 3 experience levels worth fo XP to learn a magic OCC, unless explicitly forbidden. I think I recall the Vfrawk said they couldn't learn magic.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
pblackcrow
Champion

GM said that this one can...But wasn't sure about it remaining my familiar.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

I can agree with most posters. provided the Familiar is able to learn it..it should. I would say it could not surpass the master its tied to though.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Also worth noting that even though TTGD explicitly said beings like Snake Birds were too intelligent to be made into familiars, that Dark Conversions allows them to be (lesser, not Demon) Familiars for lesser pacts made with Nightlords.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mark Hall wrote:I can't remember if it got included in the final version of MoM, but I based those familiar rules off the ones "Through the Glass Darkly", which allows you to spend permanent PPE to "improve" your familiar.

I'd let them learn skills, or use their master's skills, depending on how the wording was done.

I think the question is also in regards to things from through the glass darkly, where fully sentient races like beautiful people and night gnomes can be made familiars. and night gnomes are alchemists!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I can't remember if it got included in the final version of MoM, but I based those familiar rules off the ones "Through the Glass Darkly", which allows you to spend permanent PPE to "improve" your familiar.

I think the question is also in regards to things from through the glass darkly, where fully sentient races like beautiful people and night gnomes can be made familiars. and night gnomes are alchemists!

Bear in mind that Kevin Hassal might not have used "alchemists" in the Palladium Fantasy sense, which is a rather idiosyncratic one. I certainly wouldn't let someone claim their Night Gnome was an alchemist in that sense.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

True, there's a different usage of 'alchemist' in Mystic China, after all. One could give them that instead. But they should get SOME kind of 'alchemy' apart from mere chemistry.

I wouldn't PREVENT the familiar from being taught Circle/Ward/Wizard magic either. =/ Night Gnomes should be more proficient than Beautiful People though.

Unclear on Snake Birds since they are more Mystic-like already.

There's nothing explicitly preventing intuitive magic OCCs from switching to learned magic OCCs. Psi-Mystics in PF can't multiclass at all, but a Rifts Mystic or Nightbane Mystic could become a Ley Line Walker or Sorcerer. Even if roleplaying-wise it completely clashes with the concept.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The only Familiar 'additions' that let them cast magic are only found in the Rifter issue with said additions in them.

I have made a familler that was sentient from these rules and had it be able to cast some magic. But most of that was by fiat that I did that. 8) And gave the same a ....the Eye of Combat(collar)--+200 ppe, cast spells as normal H2H attacks. (note: this was just after the Siege of Tolkeen1 came out so the collar has a X gem in it.) I created it and gave it to that familler of a DG by player fiat.
*shrugs* I only played it in GT's pick up games so no real harm done.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If a familiar is of a race that can learn OCCs then we don't need special rules for them to do that :)

Heck... nothing really stopping a familiar from also being a Witch. =/
pblackcrow
Champion

No, it's a bookwyrm dragon. Who got blessed by a VERY HIGH LEVEL priest of dragon wright. Drake now has a character sheet as a wizard. So, I now have 4 characters in play in her game. So, I hope one of them survives. From how she put it, it this will be very action oriented set of scenario, so she is going to let me play all 4 characters and possibly another one; depending on how I play the 1st part of the game, which is today. She is bringing miniatures, and mentioned something about using the Hero Quest board.

We both thank you for your time.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”