The Angel, Lo-kum

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

The Angel, Lo-kum

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Tell me all about him/her/it, Palladium lore-masters.

Provide book references too, please.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: The Angel, Lo-kum

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

He along with Kyn-Nark-Mar and Lictalon helped put the Old Ones to sleep. His name is a Power
Word (along with the arch angel Tao-bo). You say his name in the Place of Magic adventure in
Old Ones Book is releases a host of angels. And that's about it as far as I know. Of the three
great leaders, we know the Dragon God is still very much active, Lictalon is imprisoned in
Modeus' castle in Hades. So unless Kevin knows something, I'd say you free to do anything you
want with him.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

edited
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations.

Power Word: PF2 (main book); page 117 (as well as included in various Wards phrases in the pages that follow, but I'm not going to list each of them so you'll just have to look).

Land of the Damned: Book One (Chaos Lands); page 13-14 (the story from the Tristine Chronicles).

PF Book 2: Old Ones (second edition); briefly mentioned on page 7 and again on 8, pages 168 and 169, and a little more on pages 220 and 221. Note: These same references are probably in 1st Edition as well, but I'm too lazy to find the page numbers at this moment.

PF Book 3: Adventures on the High Seas (second edition); small reference as a power word on page 86 (Stone Ships, under the Building Techniques section). Note: Again, probably in 1st Edition as well, but you'll have to find the page on your own.

PF Book 6: Island at the Edge of the World; page 38 (listed as part of a pantheon, though it's not a real list of gods as it's ANY who took part in the war with the Old Ones ... including the Old Ones themselves).

All of that is pretty much what Reagren Wright already summed up, but providing the page numbers I could find (quickly). If I missed any, my apologies. I wouldn't have even included so many power words, but I figure maybe something within their applicaion may give you ideas or something. Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

The hall of angels release a load of cherubs so lokum "May" be a cherub.

I would speak to Carmen about him.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Braden Campbell wrote:Tell me all about him/her/it, Palladium lore-masters.

Provide book references too, please.

I got hungry. :fl: :twisted:
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The Dark Elf wrote:The hall of angels release a load of cherubs so lokum "May" be a cherub.

I don't quite imagine Lokum as a cute little cherub flitting about (It brings elmer fudd flitting around with angel wings to mind)
I more imagined him to be an irritated Titan with wings that he ripped of a dragon because the dragon came too near.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

kiralon wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:The hall of angels release a load of cherubs so lokum "May" be a cherub.

I don't quite imagine Lokum as a cute little cherub flitting about (It brings elmer fudd flitting around with angel wings to mind)
I more imagined him to be an irritated Titan with wings that he ripped of a dragon because the dragon came too near.

I have used the description of Ariel's in 1st edition for an adventure which features Tao Bo.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Braden Campbell

I was wondering if perhaps Lo-Kum was some kind of amalgamated super-angel; that is, if he/she/it had features and powers from all four elemental divisions so that it could lead the collective Spirits of Light.
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Braden Campbell wrote:I was wondering if perhaps Lo-Kum was some kind of amalgamated super-angel; that is, if he/she/it had features and powers from all four elemental divisions so that it could lead to collective Spirits of Light.

Makes sense. The Dragon Kym-Nark-Mar (who is one of the other power words) turns out to be a dragon GOD. And since he is a dragon he gets to be awesomely powerful...I could easily see Lo-Kum being an Archangel type creature and thus be in essence what you get when you ramp a Spirit of Light up to deity levels of power. And just as the dragon gods are not exactly any one type of dragon.......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Braden Campbell wrote:I was wondering if perhaps Lo-Kum was some kind of amalgamated super-angel; that is, if he/she/it had features and powers from all four elemental divisions so that it could lead to collective Spirits of Light.

Greetings and Salutations. I doubt Lo-kum (sometimes just spelled Lokum in a few of the books) was that type of being originally.

Kym-Nark-Mar wasn't a god until The Battle of the Gods (fairly sure about that, but didn't reread Yin-Sloth Jungles to be sure). Lictalon was an elf wizard, though he seems to have gained some type of pseudo-godhood since then as well (don't believe he's ever called a god, but I remember hearing he's mentioned in Dragons & Gods having some type of interactions there, and I believe strongly hinted he's currently imprisoned in Hades, which means he's still alive 100,000 year's later).

So by now it's not unreasonable to say Lo-kum has found similar power/elevation.

The real question for me is if Spirits of Light would have such leaders. I (sometimes) think of Spirits of Light as more Elementals than anything else. Elementals have such a foreign mind frame they may not need leaders, or even really understand the concept of a hierarchy. Not saying that's how they are, just food for thought.

Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

In The Hall of Angles, when saying Lokum's name and summoning the cherub army, the players are told "I am the new gate keeper" by one of the cherubs. I have always taken it to mean that Lokum was the gatekeeper and is no longer able to do so because he is dead of disappeared.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Braden Campbell

Yeah.

He/she/it relocated to Jeretlan to battle Agu and keep the Rebirthing Curse in check... ;)
Braden, GMPhD

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I always figured Lictalon to be an Elf-God and Lokum to be an Angel-God.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Lokum is also the Turkish word for Turkish delight. Probably a coincidence but you might be able to do something with it.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Cybermancer wrote:Lokum is also the Turkish word for Turkish delight. Probably a coincidence but you might be able to do something with it.

So Lokum is made out of jelly and chocolate? :mrgreen:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

kiralon wrote:

You should read the original description of a cherub. They didn't start out as fat babies with wings.

Cherubim feature at some length in the Book of Ezekiel. When they first appear in chapter one, when Ezekiel was "by the river Chebar", they are not called cherubim until chapter 10, but he saw "the likeness of four living creatures". (Ezekiel 1:5) Each of them had four faces and four wings, with straight feet with a sole like the sole of a calf's foot, and "hands of a man" under their wings. Each had four faces: the face of a man, the face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on the left side, and the face of an eagle. (Ezekiel 1:6-10)
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

I always thought of Lokum as an Ariel, but after going through Dragons and Gods and Old Ones, I can't find any reason for that assumption. Since saying his name in Old Ones brings a cohort of Cherubs, I am forced to assume he is a cherub. Which is kind of cool, actually.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

this is how I always imagined him
http://i.imgur.com/Zi2EM.jpg
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

kiralon wrote:this is how I always imagined him
http://i.imgur.com/Zi2EM.jpg

I do like the Diablo angels looks wise.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Tor wrote:I always figured Lictalon to be an Elf-God and Lokum to be an Angel-God.

I also assume that has Lictalon god status. He used to rule all of Hades and is the adopted father of a god - Tolmet the Cruel.

Obviously Lokum is a higher level Arch Angel. His name is a word of power after all akin with Old Ones and Dragon Gods.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps we could make Lictalon one of those Demon Prince or Hell Lord guys in recent updates, if not a full Elf Demon Lord himself. I'm liking 'Hell Lord' since it lacks 'demon' in the title.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I play Lokum as a force of righteous vengeance, I play Lictalon as an enigma, and generally have him found in the old heart of the forest of the GNW. The forest is dangerous and if you go in to it you don't come out, or come out as a badger or something like that.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

as far as appearance goes, i'd suspect that the line from ghostbuster's applies..

Dr. Egon Spengler: It's Gozer.

Winston Zeddemore: I thought Gozer was a man.

Dr. Egon Spengler: It's whatever it wants to be.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I figure he's the closest thing to a good alien intelligence you're going to find in canon.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

It's not smart to insult Enki's grandpa like that, his mighty beard defends his family.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”