Lopanic Games

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Lopanic Games

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Ok, I cannot keep it to myself any longer!
I have DarkElf's great manuscript on the Lopanic Games! It is called Champions of Palladium, and it is awesome!
My group will be play testing it soon- it fit into my long running game really well. I just want to start some buzz about it. Please contact Palladium and tell them you want to see it!
Some great hook, line, and sinkers- including one that you will recognize from Rifter 59.
Awesome NPC's, and fun rules to participate in the Games themselves!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Re: Lopanic Games

Unread post by sHaka »

Sounds great! :ok:

Any chance of some play test session write-ups, or is it all too hush-hush?
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Can I vote for best poster now or is it too early?....

P.S. It's hush hush pls. I wouldnt want to jeopardise the minuscule possibility that I could see the light of day.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:Can I vote for best poster now or is it too early?....

P.S. It's hush hush pls. I wouldnt want to jeopardise the minuscule possibility that I could see the light of day.

There will be no details given on the play test, when it happens. It is still a while away, but the players are about to start preparing.
I will post some logs from the players viewpoints on my site (in my sig) and let people know how awesome it is going when it happens- but no details!! I really want to see this be produced as well!
My Twitter
Image Image
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

*buzz*

Sounds fantastic!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Hotrod wrote:*buzz*

Sounds fantastic!

Oh it is! :lol:

zyan, Im very interested to see if you like the game mechanics - they took months to write as I had to work them for my perceived audience and not just the fast, loose (slightly unrealistic but smooth) way I play.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
zyanitevp
Champion

Will give you a full report, when it happens
My Twitter
Image Image
AZ_RUNE
Wanderer
Comment: An amateur practices 'til they get it right, a professional practices 'til they can't get it wrong. - Anon.

Unread post by AZ_RUNE »

Might I say the build up is epic, and we are now getting ready to compete to earn a spot in the games! Did I say Epic?!?!

Can't WAIT!!!!!
An amateur practices 'til they get it right, a professional practices 'til they can't get it wrong. - Anon.
View my game based on the Heroic Realm of Regnum from Library of Bletherad at "Regnum, Paradise Lost",or even better, become a fan!! Winner Campaign of the Year 2014!
zyanitevp
Champion

I have run a trial with one player, having him try to qualify for the Games in 2 of the Magic events. It was an absolute blast! He came close to dying, some of the other competitors barely escaped with their lives, one died, and he qualified! So, more testing over the next month (my whole group is about to try and qualify for the Games) and I will give my impressions.
My Twitter
Image Image
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Theres no Ozzie Rules Skullthumper :(
(Its like normal skullthumper except you don't wear armour and when you win you have to bite the head off a rat)
zyanitevp
Champion

True, but that is a good thing in my book, you Down Under Man.
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

Log from Azariel, the mage that is trying to become an Alchemist. This log deals with his experience running the great Lopanic Games book, Champions of Palladium! (By Dark Elf- Tell Palladium you want to see this manuscript become the next Fantasy book!)

It is titled "Azariel's Trials"

Pegasus 29

Instead of starting classes at the crack of dawn, the whole of the Guild congregated in the Assembly Hall – today was the first day of the Lopanic Games Trials.

Fanfare welcomed the mages as they entered, and Master Ahab Nemora announced the beginning of the trials. After the thankfully short commencement address Master Summoner Diaro activated the giant teleportation circle painted onto the floor for the occasion. The entirety of the guild, except me, was teleported to a protected battlefield in the Eastern Territory. I showed up a half-hour late, and had to power the circle alone. Luckily they refreshed all of my energy when I arrived.

I totally destroyed my first opponent with my usual fleet feet, fly as an eagle, armor of Ithän, shadow meld, and then fireballs and lightning till he yielded. It was over so fast that I didn’t prepare myself properly for my next fight against a student of my Diabolist Master, Sline. He brought out a BAALROG, and all I could do was run. When I realized I was too slow, it was far too late. I had to give in, but it was a great fight. I sat in the stands and cheered on my fellow guild mates, and had a nice conversation with Master Nemora, during which the matter of the entry fee came up. I am afraid I will have to give up my Dragon’s Egg to pay for the chance of entering the games.

Pegasus 30

Today was the Triathlon! It started in the heat of the day, two hours till midday.

We started in the grand arena that held the duels the day before. The door at the end opened and a desiccated corpse shambled out, barely held together by its funeral wrappings. The eyes were vibrant and full of hatred. I started immediately to get the high ground, and studied my opponent, and my fellow triathletes. Most of them started attacking immediately, to no avail. I started to employ Grrilaugh Tactics against the Mummy Immortalus, as I saw him pick off the others with relative ease. My attacks were as useless as the others, until one of my competition started to unwrap the mummy. Seeing the effectiveness of this strategy, the rest of us helped. As the last bandage fell I realized I was alone. I melded back into the shadows, and as my hair stood on end, I hurried as far away from where I was as fast as I could. Lightning struck where I was. I came from the shadows, fireballed him, and melded back into darkness. I rushed away, just ahead of a bolt. A third bolt hit me. The Mummy held a lightning spell ready, and I shot off a fireball. It started to turn, and extended its hand, my feathery hair raised,

CRAck-BOOM!!!!

The crowd burst into cheers when the living flame beast engulfed the mummy. Cries died off as its form crumpled to the ground. Sizzling of flesh and popping of bones filled the air as molten marrow erupted from them. It made me hungry, and then confused.

The gate opened to the arena, the first phase completed.

I took my time leaving – no need to kill myself, as all of my fellow triathletes had been killed or forfeited. No time limit meant that I could prepare myself for the trial ahead. I was told by Master Ahab that my rich elfen blood-lines would be the key to the puzzle.

I lounged on a flying cape, and meandered my way to the island destination in the middle of the lake.

In the center of a clearing sat a chest. This was it!

I took my time, and walked around it, studying it from all angles. It was about four feet wide, two feet deep and three feet tall at the lid’s crest. It did not have any visible markings except for an eye on the lock. I opened my magical sight, and touched it with Xama’sconde, my magical mace. I was hit with a magical bolt, so I backed up about 50 feet, stripped naked, and came back to it with my invisible sight open.

On each side was a painted eye, tilted sideways, as if the left hand side, looking at the front, were actually down. They all seemed to be tilting the same way, so I tipped the chest on its side so that they were right-side up. While I was doing this I expected pain, but it didn’t come so I continued my inspection. I looked on the ‘top,’ which was now pointing left if you look at it from the original front side with the lock, and I saw minute writing around the eye. It read in runes, ‘Thoth.’ The other side, the ‘bottom,’ read ‘Xy.’

The back had a sun in the center of the eye, so I activated a globe of daylight. There appeared words in runes. “Only the true believers are enlightened, and only the ‘Enlightened’ know the truth. Believe in Order to obtain the reward of knowledge.”

I sat back for a moment and thought. I couldn’t puzzle this one out!

But, then I remembered that there was a cult of Thoth that called themselves the Enlightened. They believed that Thoth was once the Old One, Xy, and that he would bestow power and knowledge unto his faithful followers. That one piece connected it all, and it suddenly made sense.

The words of the head of the guild echoed through my head. “Blood… is the key” So, I slashed the meaty side of my thumb, a habitual motion since there are no tendons there to sever, and when you use your blood regularly for spells you need a non-intrusive spot to draw blood. I touched the eye with my blood on the ‘bottom,’ underneath ‘Xy.’ I then touched the eye on the ‘top,’ underneath ‘Thoth.’ One final blood spatter on the Lock, and the chest slammed down on the Xy side, the lock dissolved, and the top popped open. I lifted the lid, and the only object inside was a single cube with the word ‘Knowledge’ inscribed on it in several languages, living and dead.

I returned to the arena to thunderous cheers. Master Ahab Nemora stood, and announced me the winner. He also said it was much too late to hold the award ceremonies. We’ll reconvene tomorrow.

Set 1

The ceremonies went about as you would expect from a group of men and women dedicated to exploring the magic of the universe. Pageantry, peacocking, and the like interrupted by medals. I was given a medal for my win in the Triathlon, and a black war horse!

I was allowed the rest of the day off, to set in order my estate, and set my horse up in the stables. I named him Lictalon, and rode him around the countryside.

Today was great, but it’s going to be refreshing to get back to study.

Power to Ra and Glory to Osiris!

>>An excerpt from his journal from Kym-nark-mar 10th to Od 21st in the 22nd Year of Emperor Voelkian Itomas II, written by Azariel, Apprentice Alchemist. Acolyte of Osiris and the Lady Luck.<<
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

I like the Cryptomancy event. Interesting puzzle.

You players are winning a lot. They must be uber. lol
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
zyanitevp
Champion

Please tell Palladium you want to see it Zach!
Dark Elf- I tried to make sure that each player got in on at least one event- so they tried out for a whole bunch of them.....
You will note that the log also mentions one of his failures....
My Twitter
Image Image
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Natural 20 called KO to the face took the fight out of Indaris.
zyanitevp
Champion

kiralon wrote:Natural 20 called KO to the face took the fight out of Indaris.

It was pretty epic- still hope Indaris writes about it.... He glossed over that whole time.
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

The Games have Begun! Two ways to read the players logs about the Lopanic Games.
One, go to the Obsidian Portal site in my signature and click on Campaigns. The Games will be dominating the logs for the next 2-3 sessions. Begin with the Lopanic Games Open.
Two, go to the God Rebuilt forum thread- I will be posting those logs to the forums here.

Having lots of fun running this, and the players are really enjoying it as well- thanks Dark Elf!!
Everyone tell Palladium you want this book!!
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

zyanitevp wrote:The Games have Begun! Two ways to read the players logs about the Lopanic Games.
One, go to the Obsidian Portal site in my signature and click on Campaigns. The Games will be dominating the logs for the next 2-3 sessions. Begin with the Lopanic Games Open.
Two, go to the God Rebuilt forum thread- I will be posting those logs to the forums here.

Having lots of fun running this, and the players are really enjoying it as well- thanks Dark Elf!!

Just glad someone is benefiting from the work! :ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:The Games have Begun! Two ways to read the players logs about the Lopanic Games.

Just glad someone is benefiting from the work! :ok:

Benefiting is an understatement- the players have loved the setting, the details, and I used one of your hook, line and sinkers.....
Meanwhile, the Games themselves- well, one PC won a rowing event, and one has won 4 out of the 5 Pentathlon events! (Final event today!!)
Been a blast- will push Kevin hard on this one- really want everyone else to have as much fun as we have had....
My Twitter
Image Image
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

I would like a book detailing the Phi and Lopan islands for sure. If the games have a small section, that would be fine, but i don't think i could use an entire book devoted to the games themselves.

But that's just me. :)
zyanitevp
Champion

ghost2020 wrote:I would like a book detailing the Phi and Lopan islands for sure. If the games have a small section, that would be fine, but i don't think i could use an entire book devoted to the games themselves.

Totally entitled to your opinion....
My players will have devoted 4 sessions to the Games themselves, plus 3 to the Trials. That is 50 hours of gaming on one small (100 page) book- and we have by no means gone through all of the HLS in there (only used one). It has really been great.
My Twitter
Image Image
ghost2020
Adventurer

Oh, it sounds fine, it's just not the focus i would use for my campaigns. It's too narrow. Sounds like a great Rifter article(s) though.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Way to much scope for just a rifter article, and it does make a good get the McGuffin adventure, as it fills a city with all sorts of interesting strangers from around the world that wouldn't be there normally.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Also...more Palladium Fantasy books is always a good idea. :)
zyanitevp
Champion

An account of one event, the last leg of the Pentathlon, the Stadion, or 200 meter race, here
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

ghost2020 wrote:I would like a book detailing the Phi and Lopan islands for sure. If the games have a small section, that would be fine, but i don't think i could use an entire book devoted to the games themselves.

I devised a Phi & Lopan to be able to develop the games.

Ive nearly finished writing up Phi (as it was smaller to tackle and singularly more interesting). Ive developed my own ideas for Lopan in all the notes to bring the island together (it's more about each city in the inspiration of how the Eastern Territory book is written). But Im not sure Ill submit it at this point.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:

Ive nearly finished writing up Phi (as it was smaller to tackle and singularly more interesting). Ive developed my own ideas for Lopan in all the notes to bring the island together (it's more about each city in the inspiration of how the Eastern Territory book is written). But Im not sure Ill submit it at this point.

Please submit it! If you take your existing Champions book, add the Phi & Lopan sections, who will have a full sourcebook- and I think increase the chances of getting Palladium to publish it!
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:

Please submit it! If you take your existing Champions book, add the Phi & Lopan sections, who will have a full sourcebook- and I think increase the chances of getting Palladium to publish it!

Well Im not sure the ideas are an issue but my writing may be... there enough in PBs hands for some feedback on the direction Ive taken of Lopan and I do screw with Phi a little... I'll maybe concentrate on finishing Phi for the POH and give it to ya.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:

Well Im not sure the ideas are an issue but my writing may be... there enough in PBs hands for some feedback on the direction Ive taken of Lopan and I do screw with Phi a little... I'll maybe concentrate on finishing Phi for the POH and give it to ya.

My group is happy to play and give feedback- Final session of games either the 16th or 30th, and will get them to give feedback for you by the 15th of September at the latest!
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:

My group is happy to play and give feedback- Final session of games either the 16th or 30th, and will get them to give feedback for you by the 15th of September at the latest!

Ty mate.

Some of the issues with a book like the games are:

1. That to a GM, it is likely to be a one off campaign (might be a big campaign and a fun adventurous one but the players are unlikely to return and the time frame would be an in-game month at tops (unless torch bearers or entering local heats, getting sponsors etc.) either way it'll be one campaign. Maybe a sequel three years later...
Not something that would sell well. Maybe a PDF(?).

2. Although it maps the city it is on an island without a write up - yes I know the rest of the island but that's not in my submission! So it may be a great book (IMHO, lol) but it would be released after a Lopan description (that matches my write up) following the successful(?) sales of that book (or included).

3. It's a 95 page submission. If it was all good (or any of it good) its a lot to be included in a Lopan book and I dont know about you but I kinda want Phi & Lopan to be ONE book, which brings me back to issue #1.

4. My writing's ****. :erm:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:

Ty mate.

Some of the issues with a book like the games are:

1. That to a GM, it is likely to be a one off campaign (might be a big campaign and a fun adventurous one but the players are unlikely to return and the time frame would be an in-game month at tops (unless torch bearers or entering local heats, getting sponsors etc.) either way it'll be one campaign. Maybe a sequel three years later...
Not something that would sell well. Maybe a PDF(?).

2. Although it maps the city it is on an island without a write up - yes I know the rest of the island but that's not in my submission! So it may be a great book (IMHO, lol) but it would be released after a Lopan description (that matches my write up) following the successful(?) sales of that book (or included).

3. It's a 95 page submission. If it was all good (or any of it good) its a lot to be included in a Lopan book and I dont know about you but I kinda want Phi & Lopan to be ONE book, which brings me back to issue #1.

4. My writing's ****. :erm:

I agree with 1, 2, and 3- but definitely not 4...
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

The Games are over- what a ride! Thank you Dark Elf for such a great setting- we had an awesome time! Feedback coming.
For all of you, sometimes books do not seem exciting as you read a blurb in the Palladium store- and then you get it and it is an all-encompassing event that you and your players enjoy tremendously. That has been the Games for us- most groaned at it when introduced, but it was so much fun it took up a large chunk of game time!
My Twitter
Image Image
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Ever had that moment, when you look over shield, across the blood soaked sand and wondered, what the hell am I doing here. You watch your opponent closely whilst keeping your shield firm and high, looking for weaknesses in form or chinks in armour, and only see rippling muscles, determined eyes and a very well trained practice swing that sends what looks from your point of view to be a 9ft sword whistling through the air. Armour, muscle and bone would barely slow that thing, and all you have between you and it and death is the green and white ceramic enamelling over the reinforced steel of your shield.
You both charge.
Your heart hammers as your opponent thunders towards you. You would swear he's 12ft tall, the light glints off the horns on his head and down the deadly edge of his sword.
You jump forward with all your might and swing as hard as you can, his sword does an intricate weave, and deflects your blow, the razor sharp point of your weapon flashing down his past his arm along his sword, sparks flashing into a brief firefly's existence, down past his greaves and crashing into the ground, and then the weapon in his other hand immediately flashing around the from his other side and slams into the hilt of your weapon, sending it spinning up and over the sand.
Yes I have had one of those days.
zyanitevp
Champion

kiralon wrote:Ever had that moment, when you look over shield, across the blood soaked sand and wondered, what the hell am I doing here. You watch your opponent closely whilst keeping your shield firm and high, looking for weaknesses in form or chinks in armour, and only see rippling muscles, determined eyes and a very well trained practice swing that sends what looks from your point of view to be a 9ft sword whistling through the air. Armour, muscle and bone would barely slow that thing, and all you have between you and it and death is the green and white ceramic enamelling over the reinforced steel of your shield.
You both charge.
Your heart hammers as your opponent thunders towards you. You would swear he's 12ft tall, the light glints off the horns on his head and down the deadly edge of his sword.
You jump forward with all your might and swing as hard as you can, his sword does an intricate weave, and deflects your blow, the razor sharp point of your weapon flashing down his past his arm along his sword, sparks flashing into a brief firefly's existence, down past his greaves and crashing into the ground, and then the weapon in his other hand immediately flashing around the from his other side and slams into the hilt of your weapon, sending it spinning up and over the sand.

You fought bravely until that Minotaur hit you with that natural 20...
My Twitter
Image Image
AZ_RUNE
Wanderer
Comment: An amateur practices 'til they get it right, a professional practices 'til they can't get it wrong. - Anon.

Unread post by AZ_RUNE »

kiralon wrote:Ever had that moment, when you look over shield, across the blood soaked sand and wondered, what the hell am I doing here. You watch your opponent closely whilst keeping your shield firm and high, looking for weaknesses in form or chinks in armour, and only see rippling muscles, determined eyes and a very well trained practice swing that sends what looks from your point of view to be a 9ft sword whistling through the air. Armour, muscle and bone would barely slow that thing, and all you have between you and it and death is the green and white ceramic enamelling over the reinforced steel of your shield.
You both charge.

PUT THIS IN A LOG IT IS AN AWESOME DESCRIPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!
An amateur practices 'til they get it right, a professional practices 'til they can't get it wrong. - Anon.
View my game based on the Heroic Realm of Regnum from Library of Bletherad at "Regnum, Paradise Lost",or even better, become a fan!! Winner Campaign of the Year 2014!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

You both charge.

#like
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Huh. Random thought: Aren't the Zaranceti active in the sea where Lopan is? How're they going to take a massive incursion of air-breathers into "their" ocean?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Mark Hall wrote:Huh. Random thought: Aren't the Zaranceti active in the sea where Lopan is? How're they going to take a massive incursion of air-breathers into "their" ocean?

I believe that the Zaranceti are covered in Dark Elf's write-up for Phi. With a little luck we all might get to see it one day!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”