Purifiers (Serial FanFic)

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Purifiers (Serial FanFic)

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations to one and all.

As some of you may know, I've had been working on a few things for Palladium Fantasy (especially considering the 30th Anniversary). Well, I'd been saving one of those for the start of September. It's here! As such, I'm unveiling one of my projects (though not the only one I have in the works). This is a story I've had in my mind for a while and finally started writing. I intend to update it once a month. The first update (today's) is the first chapter in the story. Every month may not be a full chapter, but I'll get out what I can (even if only a page or two) as I juggle it with the rest of my writing workload.

Time Period: Millennium of Purification.
Link: http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c1-1.htm

As for the rest ... read, comment, and have fun. Since I will NOT be submitting this to Palladium (as in like, ever) feel free to give comments, advice, ask questions, etc. So if you have an idea and I use it, awesome! I'm not worried about a lawsuit since I'm not making money off of this and I don't have any money to sue for. :P

I'm writing this for the Palladium fans, as well as for the experience. A recent incident (well, probably back in January by now) showed me that I need to develop my story writing skills better. I'm not saying I'm bad, but probably the difference between a talented amateur and a professional. I've decided the best way to get better is to write, write, and then write some more. This will give me experience to draw from, let me experiment, and whatever else comes to mind. My hope is that by the time I'm done, I'll be a much better writer. So any feedback (good AND bad) is welcomed, as long as it's constructive (I don't mind someone telling me I suck, as long as you can explain why in an intelligent manner so I can improve).

I intend to be keeping up on these threads I started to read the feedback. This story is going to be pulling form multiple sources including various PF books, Rifts books, Rifter material, my website, and stuff I make up as I go. Feel free to ask questions (like what book something is from), or speculate about the future plotlines as they develop. I'll be including Chapter 1 on here in a Spoiler tag, but the rest of the updates will be found on my site only (I'll make posts here when I update).

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Spoiler:
Chapter 1: Into the Fire

Dead Gnome bodies lay strewn across the cold stone floor of the great hall, the blood of the fallen still splattered across the walls. Sitting upon his Throne of Bones is the self-declared Troll "king," Scholm the Soul Eater. He looks upon the cold and pale bodies of his enemies, reveling in his victory.

In the center of the room there's a cauldron filled with a crimson elixir, around that a banquet table seating 18 of his generals. Dinner is timed to coincide with the moon reaching its peak, amplified by the natural mystic energies of this land. The Gnomes chose their home well, though little good it did them in the end. The main feast might not be ready for another two hours, but the night's entertainment is about to begin and that is something no one wants to miss.

With a flick of the wrist to wave on his subordinates he says, "Bring him in!"

The doors leading to the hall's kitchen open, and in enter two Kobolds dragging along a Gnome with his hands tied behind his back. The former king of the castle, his people are now all dead or fleeing. Still proud, he looks upon the Troll usurper with defiance. "My people will never serve you, tyrant. They've escaped into the tunnels, where they even outlasted the insanity of the Elf-Dwarf War. Your thugs will never find them, and nothing you can do to me will make me betray them."

Scholm taps his finger against the skull on the armrest of his throne, the Gnome king's crown worn around it like a ring. He looks bored as he says, "Your people? If the Kobolds want them, they can have them, but I could careless about your kingdom or its people. This just happens to be a convenient staging ground for my true target: Eyescend."

The Gnome king looks on in horror. "Do you mean to tell me ... all this death, my kingdom in ruins, and just because ... my people were in the way?!"

Scholm smiles, as he does his massive fangs appear to become all the larger and more prominent. "I'll take the refuge of Elves and crush it. I'll destroy every one of their cities and claim them as mine. I'll take their precious New Kingdom and turn it into the Domain of Monsters!" He speaks with ambition, bloodlust, and excitement. Then he calms as continues. "Though if it helps, your people do serve other purposes. First I needed some blood for a ritual, and then I'll animate their corpses and send them into battle as shock troops."

Contempt in his voice as the Gnome king says, "Necromancer."

The skull on the armrest speaks, "Half right." Another skull on the chair laughs as it spins in a circle. Horrified by the scene the brave demeanor of the Gnome king slips as he squirms to get free. Another skull on the Throne of Bones says, "Superstitious lot, aren't they?" More laughing.

Leaning forward on his throne Scholm says. "Close with the Necromancer guess, but you left out ... Cannibal Mage as well." Then to his minions he orders, "Throw him in!" The skulls on the throne echo the order with childish glee, "Throw him in. Throw him in. Throw him in."

The two Kobolds fling the restrained Gnome king into the cauldron. Landing with a splash the Gnome king sinks beneath the surface. He comes back up gasping for air, the dark red liquid pouring down his face. This is blood, the blood of his people to be precise. A mix of horror, revulsion, and sadness are just too much for the poor king to bear, and then things get worse. "Light it," orders the Troll king.

He tries to escape the cauldron, but he can't. The walls are too tall and too slippery. With his hands bound he can't climb out. He's going to be boiled alive in a broth of his people's blood, and there's nothing he can do about it. Still he tries; hopelessly, futilely.

Suddenly a hail of splinters spread across the room like shrapnel. The Gnome king instinctively cringes and turns away, as if trying to protect himself, as he hears the sound of debris clanking against the metal cauldron.

Standing in the doorway to the great hall is a group of Elves and Dwarves, five in total. The one standing in front is a Dwarf with a shaved head and a full beard. He's wearing no armor, only pants and a sleeveless robe that's open, showing his bare chest. His true name is unknown, but he's simply called Rock, and he's responsible for the total obliteration of the door that once stood in their way.

There's another Dwarf, this one with a wolf at his side. His name is Haven and the wolf is called Pax. As he scans the room he says, "Trolls travel in small groups you said. Shouldn't find more than three together you said."

The Elf wielding twin swords is known as E'Sarinn. He holds his swords ready for battle as he responds, "Such large groups are rare. Our target must be more influential than I thought. No matter. Our orders are the same. We stop Scholm, no matter the cost."

Rock says, "And who are you to tell us what to do. I don't take orders from an Elf."

The eldest of the Dwarves sighs. His name is Bastiel the Empty, and he understands all too well that the growing animosity within the group is just as dangerous as the foes they face. This isn't the time to argue. "They're not his orders. They're Lord Wilhelm's. We kill the Soul Eater, and anyone who gets in the way."

Rock laughs, "Well all right, sounds like fun." He cracks his knuckles, looking ready to fight.

Hanging back behind the rest of the group is an Elf named Q'Uetel. He wears a forest green cloak over his hard leather armor. "And don't worry, if their numbers scare you, just keep them distracted and I'll take care of the rest." He sounds confident, as if this is all just child's play to him.

Haven is crouched down next to his wolf, gently giving the wolf a pat as it growls and sneers at the Trolls, looking ready to attack. "Never said I was scared. I just don't like bad information."

Q'Uetel mutters, "I'm just impressed you Dwarves can count that high."

Rock warns, "Watch your mouth, kid. And watch where you aim your spells, or I'll eliminate you with the rest of the rabble."

Q'Uetel says, "Like you could. You have nothing going for you but your brute strength. No match for my ... finesse."

Rock clenches his fist. He looks ready to test that theory right here and now.

Bastiel the Empty interrupts both of them. "Now is not the time. Focus on the objective."

Q'Uetel asks, "And who made you leader?"

E'Sarinn adds, "He doesn't have to be leader to be right. While we've bickered our enemies have had the time to arm themselves and improve their position. So stow it until after we finish here."

Q'Uetel mutters, "Fine."

Rock says, "Whatever. Let's go!" He charges forward into the center of the waiting Trolls.

Somewhere in the back passageways of the castle, a group of Kobolds lie in a pool of their own blood. Standing over them is an Elf with blood dripping from his daggers. His name is H'Dargoyn, and he knows that in battle there are two types of people: Those who watch their backs, and those who end up dead. He came with the others, but direct combat has never been his strong suit so he's taken to his own method of helping from the shadows, picking off any would-be reinforcements. Amateurs. With the ruckus coming from the great hall the patrols are rushing passed without looking or thinking, and that's made his job all too easy.

He hears another group approaching. Quickly he slips into one of the nearby rooms to wait for the right opportunity to strike. Within the room he hears a groan of agony. Looking to see the source, he finds a cut open soul unable to die. He mutters a profanity in Elven. This is a lot worse than he thought. He realizes that he needs to make it back to others to warn them, and fast. Still, first things first. There's a group of enemy outside the door, and he needs to focus on the present before he can worry about the future. Without a second thought, he leaves the tormented being to writhe in endless pain and gets back to work.

A massive clawed hand from one of the Troll generals comes down on Rock. The Dwarf just smiles. He appears completely unharmed, other than perhaps there are now cuts in his robe. Then he summons all his strength, and punches the Troll directly in the gut. There's a roar of pain, and then silence as Rock withdraws his hand. The Troll falls back and hits the floor, a hole ripped through its stomach, the hand of Rock still dripping with the slimy green goo of Troll blood.

Another of the Troll generals comes at Q'Uetel. Before he can reach the Elf hiding in the background, he suddenly finds himself struggling to move, barely able to stay on his feet and balanced, as if he's not careful he might float away. His whole body is suffering from Weightlessness. Q'Uetel then smiles. With a gesture of his hand, a magical wind hits the Troll. These Fingers of the Wind are so weak the Troll would normally not even notice them, but when he weighs nothing, he's helpless to resist their subtle manipulation, lifting him up and out one of the upper windows of the castle.

While Q'Uetel takes a moment to be pleased with himself, another Troll attacks from the side. He's too fast and too close for Q'Uetel to dodge in time. The clawed hand slashes across the Elf's body, and for a moment magic energy turns tangible as it shatters around Q'Uetel. That attack ripped right through his Armor of Ithan protection. The Troll looks ready to press his advantage when he suddenly stumbles and moves off to the side. Then he collapses, a hail of arrows in his back.

Higher up, on a balcony ledge overlooking the great hall, stands a Gnome with a bow and arrow. He lines up his next ground target. A Troll suddenly grabs one of his arm, the arrow letting loose the same instant. The arrow pierces the eye of one of the target below, but up above the Gnome archer is being suspended above the ground by one of his arms.

The Troll looks at the gnome with a sneer. "You think you're pretty tough with that bow, don't you? Well let's see how tough you are without both arms."

With a tone that suggests as if this is just some every day event for him and he can't be bothered to care anymore the Gnome asks, "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"It means," says the Troll, "that I'm going to rip off your arms and feast on your bones!"

Sounding bored the gnome says, "And how are you going to do that when you're dead."

Confusion shows on the face of the Troll. "Huh?"

Crack! The Gnome swings his bow and smashes it against the wrist and hits bone, the sharp pain causing the Troll to release his prey. As the Gnome falls towards the ground he draws an arrow. Using the momentum from the fall, he stabs the arrow down and drives it deep into the Troll's foot. With a howl the Troll shifts his weight, and all according to the little Gnome's plan. With a skillful maneuver of his bow, the Gnome sweeps the good leg from underneath the already off balance Troll. The Troll lands flat on his back with a THUMP!

Dazed for only a moment, the Troll starts to lift his head up, and when he does he sees the Gnome already standing on his chest, an arrow notched in the bow. Horrified by his opponent's speed, skill, and ferocity the Troll asks, "What are you?"

In a dispassionate tone the Gnome answers, "Me? I'm the Shooter. And you? You're just another damn victim who never realized how small you really were." With that, he lets loose his arrow and ends it.

In the great hall Scholm grunts with frustration as his generals are killed one by one. He unties a pouch from his belt. He'd hoped to save this for his assault on Eyescend, but his current situation doesn't leave him many options.

H'Dargoyn enters in from the great hall's kitchen. He quickly scans the room and finds Scholm the Soul Eater. The Troll holds a still beating heart in his hands, lifting it up over his mouth. He won't be able to make it across the battlefield in time. The Elf calls out to his comrades, "Don't let him eat that!" Appears shouting out drew the attention of one of the other Trolls in the room. Damn. This is why he doesn't like drawing attention to himself.

E'Sarinn looks over to see Scholm. He doesn't know exactly what's going on, but he trusts his teammate. Troll blood still dripping from his blades he dashes across the room. His speed is amazing, and he makes it to Scholm in almost no time at all. With a leap he slashes with both blades. He lands gracefully on his feet. The amputated arm of Scholm plops down beside him. However, the heart it once held is no longer in its grasp. Scholm the Soul Eater chews his meal a few times and then swallows. As fast as E'Sarinn was, seems he wasn't fast enough.

H'Dargoyn continues to dodge the Troll trying to tear him to shreds. This is bad. He may need to use it. He had really hoped it wouldn't come to that, but it seems he has no choice. If he wants to live, he'll need to. Before he can act though, a large wolf suddenly pounces on the Troll. Fangs sink deep into the Troll's throat in a takedown attack.

Haven moves to the side of H'Dargoyn. "Sorry it took so long. So what exactly have we just gotten ourselves into?" On the floor Pax continues to bite into the Troll, blood squirting out.

H'Dargoyn says, "In one of the backrooms I found something." As he speaks the arm of Scholm starts to regrow in front of their eyes. The regenerative abilities required for such a feat is amazing. "A Vampire," continues H'Dargoyn. "Its heart had been cut out."

Haven asks, "I thought attacking the heart made a Vampire vulnerable to be killed. Shouldn't it have withered away?"

H'Dargoyn clarifies, "I said it was cut out, I didn't say it was impaled. No one's ever tried to remove the heart while it still lived before. Seems they can survive, but in a state of constant agony, unable to move or do anything else other than continue to exist in a state of perpetual pain. Meanwhile a Cannibal Mage can eat the heart, and gain all of its abilities."

Haven says, "That doesn't make any sense though. If he already cut out the heart, why would he even keep it around?"

H'Dargoyn answers, "Probably to keep it safe. If someone found the body and killed it, he'd have lost the heart as well. Even without being able to stake it, sunlight or running water could do the trick. Unfortunately neither is readily available in our current environment."

Rock battles the vampire empowered Soul Eater. He lands one of his best punches dead center, but Scholm simply stands there as if nothing happened. Scholm then comes down with a claw strike that rips into the Dwarf's body. Slash after slash he tears into flesh.

There's a crackling sound. Heightened Vampire senses and reflexes allow Scholm to respond at supernatural speeds, grabbing Rock and holding the Dwarf up over his head. A bolt of lightning streaks down from the ceiling and crashes down into Rock, who's being used as a makeshift shield. Q'Uetel looks momentarily shocked. Quickly he regains his composure and starts casting another spell. As Q'Uetel quickly unleashes a Magic Net from his hands, Scholm throws Rock at him. The net ensnares the Dwarf, and his momentum carries both him and the spell back to Q'Uetel. Elf and Dwarf smash into each other and both go tumbling to the ground, entangling further within the Magic Net.

A group of arrows lands into the back of Scholm. While his back may look like a pincushion, the arrows didn't seem to hurt him in the slightest. He turns to look at the upper balcony and sees Shooter. His regeneration pushes the arrows of his body as he looks ready to focus his attentions on the archer next. Before Scholm can act, Pax leaps at him. Scholm manages to get his arm up in time, but fangs sink into muscle. He feels a tinge of pain. With a grimace Scholm flings his arm. The fangs of Pax rip out of the flesh as the wolf is sent soaring across the room.

Before Pax can hit the wall Haven moves in the way, catching his companion. The force of the throw and the weight of the wolf are too much even for the stocky build of a Dwarf. Haven is sent smashing into the wall behind him, but his body acts as a cushion to shield Pax from the impact. The hit took a lot out of Haven who is struggling to get back up. Pax nudges Haven with a wet nose. He smiles weakly, and Pax lets out a loud howl.

Outside, a semi-transparent mist hovers around the team's campsite. This small ghostly figure with a vague humanoid shape is a Fire Sprite named Fenix. A wispy feminine voice says, "Leave me to watch the gear, will they? Well, wait until they see the little surprise I leave 'em. That'll show 'em what happens when you leave me in --" Before she can finish she hears the howl of Pax coming from inside the castle. She looks over and instantly recognizes the sound: Pax! Without delay she abandons her current machinations and flies off at top speeds for the castle, a stream of mist left in her wake.

Flying in through one of the upper windows of the great hall Fenix looks around. Below she sees Haven slouched against the wall. He looks hurt. Pax is over him, howling in saddened pain. That is unforgivable! Fenix screams out in anger, "Okay, WHO MADE PAX CRY?!"

Haven calls out, "Fenix!" He then points to Scholm. "There."

With a fierce determination Fenix replies, "Got it." She quickly flies down and through one of the torches that line the walls of the great hall. Her entire body bursts into flame as the Fire Sprite ignites her most dangerous form. Once ablaze and her full Elemental powers active, she creates a massive Wall of Flames that engulfs the Soul Eater. The flame wall stretches out and touches both walls of the great hall and sets some of the tapestries on fire. Shooter is forced to leap off the upper balcony and to the hard stone floor below to avoid being caught in the flames himself.

Scholm drags his body out of the flames, coughing from inhaling smoke. His skin scorched from the magical flames. By the time he emerges though Fenix has already created two Flame Licks, one in each hand. She lashes out with them as if using paired whips, searing more flesh from the monster's body. Scholm raises himself to his feet. He pushes through the pain as he advances upon Fenix.

Before the Troll can come any closer a silver spike pierces his heart. Slimy blood gushes from the wound. The spike is attached to a chain that leads back to the hands of Bastiel the Empty, a chained spike being one of his weapons of choice. E'Sarinn quickly moves in and cuts off the head with a twin sword slash. The Troll's decapitated head falls to the floor. Fenix cups her hands together and then unleashes a powerful Fireball on the head and then another on the body, and then another and another and another.

The body of Scholm burns, not even his stolen Vampire powers can heal him from that. The group's mission is accomplished for now. As they prepare to leave, Pax walks up to the burning head, lifts a leg, and helps to put out the fire of the smoldering ashes.

P.S. Before anyone comments on my breaking rules for posting in more than one forum, let me restate the message board rules:
NMI wrote:Posting the same message to multiple forums. This is also SPAM and it is discouraged. If you've got a topic and it fits several categories, pick the top two most appropriate forums and post it there. Posting to more than two forums will result in the excess topics being removed.
It mentions the two most appropriate forums, and that is what I believe I've done. Thanks you and have a nice day.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Purifiers (Serial FanFic)

Unread post by Hotrod »

Yes, yes, more fanfic!

That's a decent start. I'll caution you to be careful in using the present tense. It's not an absolute no-no, but it's generally not done unless the author is going for a very specific effect.

Lots of dialogue here, and lots of action, but so far, I don't have a great sense of who these people are. It might be better to ease into the story with just a few characters at a time, so you have enough time/space to make better introductions.

That said, the in media res approach can be effective (a great example of this is Starship Troopers the NOVEL, not the movie), as long as you follow it up with some character development.

The mechanics of your writing are good. I saw no major glaring errors. Overall, well done, and thanks for sharing!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations.

Hotrod: For some reason, I just like the present tense. I'm curious, is there a reason that it's typically not done?

As for character development, yes! I know. Heck, I cut out 4 characters from this first chapter just to avoid overwhelming it more than I already had. One of the hardest parts for me was cramming in that many characters into one scene. Next chapter (possibly next two) will be no combat and learning more about who they are and the setting. I was just taught to always start off with a bit more action (which is to say, something that will grab a reader immediately).

Anyways, next chapter (with character development and MORE characters) will be arriving in October. Thanks for reading and have a great day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

There's a lot of wonkish debate on the use of past vs present tense in fiction. Past tense is the classic favorite, while present tense is seen as trendy (or faddish, depending on who you talk to). Present tense is most common in the young adult genres, but even there, it's not all that dominant. Most fiction was, and is, written in the past tense. Choosing to go present draws attention to your use of tense and begs the question of why you're doing it that way.

On the good side, present tense can give a sense of immediacy to the dialogue.

On the downside, present tense can be jarring for people who don't read it often. It can make your story feel like a script for a play or a movie (not necessarily a good thing). Present tense tends to be an initial shock that people will get over if they like your writing. That said, first impressions matter in fiction. As a writer, you should want readers to be engrossed in your story, not in the mechanics of your writing.

An example of good use of present tense in fiction: The Hunger Games. The choice of first person, present tense is appropriate, since the theme of the books, and the defining characteristic of its main character, is survival in extreme circumstances. By using the first person, the author sidesteps the "reads like a script" pitfall nicely. The choice is a good fit, and it enhances what the author is trying to convey.

My advice would be to use present tense only if it helps you. If you can articulate why or how it makes the story better/more compelling, then by all means, use it. Otherwise, I'd stick to past tense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note:

One other thing I should have mentioned first yesterday: perspective. Take one single character's perspective, and stick to it. If you need to change from one character's perspective to another, you should have some sort of separator between the passages (like the one I put just above here). Otherwise, it gets confusing and jarring, especially when you have lots of different/new characters. Re-reading this chapter today, I would say that this is the biggest weakness of this chapter.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations.

Hotrod: Thanks for clarifying that for me. :ok: As for why I do it ... hard to explain. I used to write in the past tense all the time (I've been writing stories for over half my life, though quality obviously has varied). However, I tried experimenting with present tense once, and it just grabbed me. For whatever reason, I have an easier time writing in the present tense. This isn't something I'm likely to change, but I still wanted to hear the reasons. Perhaps, after I get better (and after I finish this story, because I won't change in the middle of the story), I'll try past tense again and see if it'll work better for me. I'm not opposed to it, just not something that really clicked with me.

As for the character focus ... yeah, oh yeah. Another experiment I tried I found I like writing in first person point of view (like present tense, the story just seemed to flow better when writing). It comes with some pitfalls that I need to work out. However, in this story, I felt there were too many characters to do them justice from a single point of view and why I switched back to third person. I have storylines that focus on different characters, so I kept it more basic. I thought about a break mark (similar to how I added the marks for the switch to H'Dargoyn when he's in the back halls and it's an entire scene change) for all the character changes, but with as much as the scene jumped around I think the break marks would've been equally jarring.

Though ... hmm ... that might work ... hmm ... maybe. I might try switching points of view depending on chapters. That could be an interesting experiment. Definitely good experience/practice at switching tones. I don't know though, we'll see. Like I said, a lot of this story will be me experimenting with stuff. That may not make for the smoothest of stories, but hopefully nothing that'll take away from it too much either.

For note: I like the feedback, because that's giving me something to think about, and helps me come up with ideas to make something work I had previously thought impossible. For whatever reason when you (or others) mention a problem, I often come up with solutions for how to make it work. When I think of it alone, I hit a roadblock.

I'll continue brainstorming, and appreciate the help so far. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

It's absolutely possible to take on a character's perspective in the third person. Think of it like you're eavesdropping on the character for a while. A good example of this is GRRM's Game of Thrones. Each chapter is titled by the name of the character's perspective used within. Tom Clancy uses the same technique. Also, I feel obligated to give a shout-out to our very own Josh Hilden and his Shores of the Dead series, which handles multiple perspectives in the third person beautifully.

I would also consider giving the reader a bit more time with each perspective (like a page or more) between perspective jumps to help you build and establish a character.

In any case, I do hope you continue writing this. I'm interested to see where you take it next.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Chapter 2; scene 1 is now up.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c2-1.htm

Due to time restraints with real life, I didn't have as much time on this one. This is only the first scene of Chapter 2, and I'll continue Chapter 2 next month (hopefully finish it, but no promises). The length is still about half the length of Chapter 1 (Chapter 2 will be longer overall). I barely finished it late last night before I went to bed. That also means that I didn't have time to really edit and tweak it before posting it. With Chapter 1, I finished it like 2 weeks before posting, so I had time to review and make changes.

Still, hopefully overall an enjoyable experience for those reading. Have a great day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

"By the time any sanity returned to either race, the cities of both lied in ruins," => "lied" should be "lay"

A few thoughts I have as I'm reading this:

+Overall, this opening is more effective than the first chapter. There's a single, mostly-coherent perspective (the dream-thing at the start is a little weird, but I figure you'll sort out its particulars later), and you're not trying to do too much.

-The background doesn't contrast well with the text where the two big planets overlap.

One point to consider: you do a lot of direct description and explanation in this chapter as a narrator. Try to show us things and behaviors that suggest what you describe, rather than describing them directly. Or, consider finding a way for a character do give the history lesson, rather than you giving it directly.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:A few thoughts I have as I'm reading this:

Greetings and Salutations. Appreciate your continued reading and continued feedback. :)

Hotrod wrote:the dream-thing at the start is a little weird, but I figure you'll sort out its particulars later

Yes, this will be explained more in future chapters. Though it may take a while as the "dream-thing" is kind of a background plot and nothing immediate.

Hotrod wrote:The background doesn't contrast well with the text where the two big planets overlap.

I'm not entirely sure I follow this one ... ... ... OH! Wait ... is this in regards to the actual background of the web page? As I typed this response that just hit me. I read this early this morning and the whole day I'd been trying to figure out what this referred to in the story. Just clicked in. If this is in reference to the appearance of the web page ... I'll try to figure something out. Darn pretty background, but for a continued story it may not be the best idea.

Hotrod wrote:One point to consider: you do a lot of direct description and explanation in this chapter as a narrator. Try to show us things and behaviors that suggest what you describe, rather than describing them directly.

Ugh! This isn't the first time someone's told me that ("show, don't tell"), not one of my strong points (but definitely something I need to get better at). I'll do my best to do more of this (because it's an important part of my improving), but my mind has yet to wrap around how to do it effectively.

My mind works oddly at times, and someone explaining something to me often won't make sense until my mind can figure it out in a way that works for me. I'm not asking you to go back and reread the previous chapters, but (in the future) if you ever find a sentence or area where I do the "show" part well, please let me know. I learn much better from doing it myself than seeing others do it, and if I can see what I did then I can try to figure out what I was thinking and repeat and expand.

Note: Also, I have trouble figuring out if I don't "show" at all or if I just don't "show" enough. Again, I understand in concept in theory, but I only half-understand it until I can start applying it (which sounds weird, I'm sure). So I try something and then hear the comment, and I'm not sure if they just want me to do it more or if I failed in my attempt.

Hotrod wrote:Or, consider finding a way for a character do give the history lesson, rather than you giving it directly.

Hmm ... the history lesson could've probably just been included in the E'Sarinn/Wilhelm talk that's coming (part of Chapter 2, but I didn't have time to get that far yet). Some history will be given there as well, but this may be a case of my breaking down the chapter. I wanted to include it early, so I put it in my next update. However, if viewing Chapter 2 as a whole, the history lesson would've still been early on in the story.

Sorry, that doesn't really change what I've already done much at all. Right now I'm more just thinking aloud. However, this does help me see potential mistakes and think of ways to fix them so I (hopefully) don't repeat them.

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and input, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Regarding the background, if you have GIMP (an open source, free bitmap editor like Photoshop), you could try darkening the image and lowering the contrast (you may be able to do this in Paint, too). Backgrounds for web pages generally work best when they're subtle. It's an awesome picture, but as it is, it's a little distracting.

Regarding Show vs Tell:
In general, if your character is angry, don't say he is. Tell us how he grinds his teeth, how his face flushes, how his lips curl down into a tooth-baring snarl. If your character is wise, tell us how he uses that wisdom.

Think about going to see a movie like Star Wars. When Han Solo and Ben Kenobi are talking about the force on the way to Alderaan, imagine that the film stops, George Lucas pops out, and says "DO YOU SEE? Han is the kind of guy who's very cynical about the force. He's experienced and jaded, because he's been living only for himself. Kenobi, on the other hand, is the kind of man who won't let the ruin of the Jedi Order crush his faith or his spirit."

That's what it's like for me when a narrator directly describes the nature of a person.

You want an example. Vivisection time!

Circling him is an arsenal of weapons, his personal arsenal of weapons to be precise, including his twin swords. Each has a story, a strength, and a weakness. He's memorized each and every one of them, their weight and feel, right down to the dagger in his boot, as if they're all a part of him, an extension of his body.

Off topic: the opening sentence is a triple-redundancy. It's like saying, "This is a sentence of words, a sentence I wrote to be precise, which includes two instances of the word 'precise'." Consider revising that first sentence to something like "His personal arsenal poked out of the ground all around him, forming a jagged fence for his practice grounds."

After that first sentence, you go into full-on telling mode. Rather than saying "Each has a story", consider telling us a couple of these stories. It doesn't have to be a paragraph, or even a complete sentence.

For example, maybe he caught the dagger when an assassin threw it at him, and used its poisoned blade on his own, unarmored, would-be killer. Perhaps the scythe was something he'd taken off a murdered peasant and used it against the deamon-possessed peasant's son.

Those two sentences, without directly telling the reader anything, invite the reader to draw some obvious conclusions: that this guy knows the trade of death well, that he can use different weapons with skill, that he can improvise on the spot, and that he's a hard kind of man who doesn't shy away from doing what is necessary. It also communicates his respect and memory for where these weapons come from.

This approach takes careful thought to work it in right. Here's a thrown-together attempt at an example:

"The dagger flew straight at the tree, its flight perfect as it had been the first time he'd thrown it back at that goblin assassin fifteen years earlier. It struck the tree dead center, but bounced off the stonewood, just as it had bounced off his own armor back then."

On a final related-topic note: Reduce the use of the "to be" verb as much as possible, unless you're using it with the progressive tenses, as in "He is guessing".

A really good book on this is "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" by Browne and King, which you can probably find at your local library (or on Amazon, if money is no object).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Chapter 2; Scene 2 is now up! This is the shortest scene yet, but at least introduces two new characters. Next update will be Scene 3 (should be the final scene of Chapter 2), and may end up being the largest yet.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c2-2.htm

For note: The small updates are due to the fact I've been trying to finish a BIG project for PF that I was going to release before the end of the year on my site, but I don't think I'm going to finish it in time. My motivation to write has taken a sharp decline and I just can't stay focused.

I also made an adjustment to how the page appears (regarding the background) as I've received a few complaints in that regards. I'm by no means a professional with designing websites though, so I'm just testing things out to see how it goes. If the new page format works for everyone, I'm likely to keep it (and apply it the previous pages of the story as well). If not, I'll keep experimenting.

Thank you for your time and continued interest, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

+The website background is much easier to read (though it's not quite as spiffy as what you had before).

+Your writing is improving. I like the exploration of the dehumanizing effects of Golem life, and the dialogue is pretty good. You're doing a better job of showing, rather than telling.

-On a strategic note, you're introducing characters at a very fast pace. It feels like I'm jumping into The Avengers, except I haven't seen the prequels or read any of the comics, so I don't know who any of these people are.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Good Read
I'd try to get the text centred, with gaps on the side. When I read with the browser maximised it harder to read as the writing then covers a 24" widescreen area. A paper page sized section in the centre would look better.
my 2c
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. To those who follow the story and actually noticed, my apologies for the late update. Chapter 2: Scene 3 is now up on my site! Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) weekend kind of threw off my schedule, and this was a larger scene than the last few (about the same size as all of Chapter 1). I hope you enjoy. Thanks for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Link: http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c2-3.htm

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:+The website background is much easier to read (though it's not quite as spiffy as what you had before).

Greetings and Salutations. Yeah, it's a trade off, kind of one or the other. I wish I could figure out how to set transparancy (which would let more of the picture show through, while maintaining legibility), but my coding skill isn't that high level. For now, I'll accept readability (and see if I can work on the other).

Hotrod wrote:+Your writing is improving. I like the exploration of the dehumanizing effects of Golem life, and the dialogue is pretty good. You're doing a better job of showing, rather than telling.

Glad to hear it. Not sure if the dialogue will be quite as nice in Scene 3 (I felt it came along nicely in Scene 2 and thy remained separate enough), but it's a work in progress (some parts will be better than others). I still don't fully get the show/tell thing, but I think I'm starting to get it enough to at least do it (kind of like a computer would, execution without true understanding/comprehension).

Hotrod wrote:-On a strategic note, you're introducing characters at a very fast pace. It feels like I'm jumping into The Avengers, except I haven't seen the prequels or read any of the comics, so I don't know who any of these people are.

Yeah, lots of characters. For note, a normal story I would NOT do that with. In this particular incident though, I intentionally overloaded on characters. For one, I believe it's necessary to the plot. With a smaller group, I don't think the impact of the Elf/Dwarf tensions would come through as well. I know it's much, but I think the reason will become clearer as the story progresses. Though the number of characters is why I left 4 of them out of the first chapter (and only show two of the new ones in this one, with the other two being mentioned in Scene 3 and finally get some story time in Chapter 3).

The second reason (and perhaps more importantly for me) is that since my main objective to this is to improve as a writer. That's one of the reasons I chose this particular story. I figured all the characters involved would be a good way for me to work on some variety. I need to learn how to give different characters different voices. It's something else I know I need work on, so I figured a large cast would be good practice. I know it won't be perfect at first, but I think the experience will be useful.

Anyways, thank you for your continued interest. Even if you don't agree with my reasons, I hope you can at least understand them. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:Good Read
I'd try to get the text centred, with gaps on the side. When I read with the browser maximised it harder to read as the writing then covers a 24" widescreen area. A paper page sized section in the centre would look better.
my 2c

Greetings and Salutations. Sorry, but my coding skills aren't that advanced. I don't have the slightest clue of how to do that. Most of what I do have is just hobbled together using a combination of programs to make it work.

Note: I used to use Microsoft FrontPage as my website editor/publisher. However, my site provider ceased supporting it. Now most of what I do is by hand, using copy/paste work from the pages I already had published. I know almost no coding, and I've tried a few other publishers but none seem compatable with the site I already have established. I'd love to find an easier way to handle some of that stuff (such as I've wanted to change my site name for months, but doing so currently means updating hundreds, maybe closer to a thousand by now due to all the game logs, of pages one by one, which is very tedious).

Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations! Happy Holidays to all. As a special Christmas treat, I'm posting a bonus scene for the Purifier story. This starts Chapter 3, and is a small interlude to an upcoming story (either Chapter 4 or 5). Before the end of the year, I hope to make a few added updates to the site (not story related) as well. With any luck, none of these bonuses will interfere with my regular updates, as I'm hoping to still have my regular Purifier update in January. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-1.htm

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Apologies for the extended delay. I had some in real life problems that needed to get sorted out before I could focus on writing (real life had to take priority), but I'm back now. The next scene (Chapter 3, Scene 2) is now up! This scene is a fair bit of combat. Originally I was going to cut it (to avoid bogging the story down with unnecessary combat), but I realized as I tried to write the next scenes that this one had several (small) important tidbits in it, and the following scenes (extending into future chapters) wouldn't make as much sense without it.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-2.htm

For those interested, I already have several pages done for Scenes 3 & 4 of this chapter. In fact, I had wanted to finish them both before March, but just didn't make it. Since I'm late though, I'll say Scene 3 will get more into individual motivations for joining the group, and Scene 4 will be a confrontation/debate between Q'Uetel (Elf) and Bastiel the Empty (Dwarf). You may see hints of why in Scene 2, but is it what you think? You'll have to stay tuned to find out. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, a little later than the first of the month, but it is still the first weekend of the month (and I have the most free time on the weekends). So here's the latest update:

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-3.htm

That's Chapter 3, Scene 3, and here we'll start to see some of the various motivations of our characters for joining. As for the delay, I really wanted to finish Scene 4. I just couldn't get into it enough, though I do have it more or less written out now, and I just need to go through it and add some flavor text, clean up the dialogue, and splice the various pieces together (I wrote different segments at different times). I'm not sure how long that'll take, but I honestly hope (no promises) to have Scene 4 finished and posted by next weekend. If not, it'll have to get pushed back to my May release. I really want to get started on Chapter 4 though, and I'm hoping to knock Scene 4 out so I can start Chapter 4 by May. We'll see.

As an apology for being late, I'll add some of my thoughts on the characters and reasons for the rather sizable cast (in a spoiler tag, though no specific spoilers are given, just for those who don't care or don't want to waste time scrolling through it can avoid it).
Spoiler:
So as many have noticed (and noted), the cast is pretty large! We're talking 11 main characters, 13 if we're counting Pax and Fenix (I usually don't as I consider them a part of Haven, and count all 3 of them as 1). Anyways, I figured I'd state my reasons for it.

1: As this project is to help me develop as a writer, I figured more characters would mean more challenge. While it'll start off rougher, I hope by the end I'll have learned a lot! That's my goal anyways.

2: I really wanted to get more into the tension between Elf and Dwarf and how it's affecting the team as a whole. If I just had 2 Elves and 2 Dwarves though, that dynamic just wouldn't come across the same. As a result, I wanted a larger cast. I settled on 9 characters, 4 Elves and 4 Dwarves. Wait ... you said 11 characters! Yeah, about that ... I had settled on 9, but I came up with a new storyline and that led to Mancer and K'Ulnar. Both were late add-ons, but I liked the story, the dynamic, and their personalities really just came together for me! Out of all the cast, they're possibly two of the easiest for me to write for, though as late add-ons I sometimes forget they exist and forget to include them in scenes (like Chapter 3, Scene 2 ... I forgot all about them until after I posted the scene).

3: Even though it's starting off large, I'll make this declaration now: Not all of the characters will make it to the end of the story. Does that mean they'll be killed off, retire, or leave for some other reason? I'll let the story tell you that as it unfoldds. However, by the end of the story, the cast will be smaller.

As a result of the large cast though, I still struggle with some of the characters. E'Sarinn is probably the main character, if I had to pick one. I really understand him well. However, there will be changes to him, and sometimes it's hard for me to keep who he is now (at the start of the story) separate from where I want to go with him (in the future). As I said with Mancer and K'Ulnar, they just really came together in my mind. H'Dargoyn ... well, I had the basics for him, but he's been coming together better than I expected as a character. I think he's actually my fiance's favorite. Go figure.

You haven't met Z'Xen yet. She's really a more secondary/support character. We'll see more of her in the future (I do have plans for her character), but not sure how much (and since I haven't had to write for her much, I can't tell you how easy or hard her character will be).

In contrast to those, Kendroll is probably one of the hardest for me to write for! I view him as a necessary character. For one, he helps offset Z'Xen (the young dwarf to balance out the young Elf). He'll also help shape events in the future. While I know his story, his personality has never come together for me. I struggle with him. I hope to get that worked out in the future, but no promises. In fact, I was so clueless about him I even started this thread several months back to help me figure it out. After reading Scene 3, this question/thread will make more sense if you know it's Kendroll: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140267

Almost all the characters will play a critical role in one story or another. So I hope you enjoy the cast and bear with its size while you enjoy the ride.
Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I said I would try, and looks like I succeeded. Chapter 3, Scene 4 is now up on the site.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-4.htm

As stated, this scene will be primarily between Q'Uetel and Bastiel (we get to see what he is a bit more and how he learned it). I haven't had time to proofread it really (just finished it today), but wanted to post it this weekend. Now, I get to start Chapter 4 for the start of May! Chapter 4, Scene 1 will probably be short (the month is already almost half over). Chapter 4 will involve the mysterious rune hammer wielding Dwarf we see at the start of Chapter 3, and will also reveal more about one of our heroes (but which one?!). Hope you enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Well, I said I would try, and looks like I succeeded. Chapter 3, Scene 4 is now up on the site.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c3-4.htm

As stated, this scene will be primarily between Q'Uetel and Bastiel (we get to see what he is a bit more and how he learned it). I haven't had time to proofread it really (just finished it today), but wanted to post it this weekend. Now, I get to start Chapter 4 for the start of May! Chapter 4, Scene 1 will probably be short (the month is already almost half over). Chapter 4 will involve the mysterious rune hammer wielding Dwarf we see at the start of Chapter 3, and will also reveal more about one of our heroes (but which one?!). Hope you enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Nicely done sir, except the very end seems abruptly finished, maybe add a little more detail to the banishment ritual or detail of the clearing perhaps.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:Nicely done sir, except the very end seems abruptly finished, maybe add a little more detail to the banishment ritual or detail of the clearing perhaps.

Greetings and Salutations. Yeah, maybe that's because I couldn't figure out how to end it properly. :lol: The last 4 or 5 lines I've been stumped on for days. This is the best I've been able to come up with (just this morning).

Unless I come up with something in the next day or two, I'm not likely to go back to it though and just move on to Chapter 4. This is because I'm doing this more as a writing exercise (and because I like telling stories, and I figure it's a nice treat for some of the fans too). As the chapters and scenes go on my hope is my skill will continue to improve as well (and the rougher early beginning will help record that journey). Unless, of course, Palladium comes up to me and tells me they want to publish it or something, in which case I'll be all: "[Bleep] yeah I'll rewrite it and clean it up!" Though considering how many cardinal sins I'm break of Palladium's (some of the stuff done will cross the settings), that's not likely. :P

Appreciate you reading though, and feedback is always welcome. I look at each piece of feedback as a way to improve. I can't always follow the advice, but I do appreciate it. :) Farewell and safe journeys for now.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Q'Uetel says, "If you do not wish for further debate, that is acceptable." He turns his back to the Dwarf, his cloak rumpling around him as he turns. "Though understand this matter is not yet resolved."
As the Elf walks away Bastiel mumbles, "I know." Then, left in solitude, Bastiel finishes the ritual to banish the Brimstone Candle in the emptiness of the clearing.

As QU'etel disappeared from view, unhappily voiced words leaves Bastiel lips "I know". His knowledgeable fingers then knotted in the complex motions and sounds required to banish the brimstone candle, and silence once again descended as Bastiel's stiff demeanour wilted and a sorrowful whisper came from his now darkened hood
"I know"

sometimes other eyes/brain can help :) note feel free to use anything I respond with, even if it as a base or idea
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, just for you kiralon, I've rewritten the last segment (basically the entire section I had been stumped on for days before I posted).

Everything after: Bastiel replies, "No. My greatest limitation is morality. Our two empires cast away their morality and look at where it led them. That is where the belief in no limits leads." has been replaced (some minor adjustments, some more major).

That's the last 6 paragraphs (previously only 4). Hope you enjoy. :) Farewell and safe journeys for now.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

:)

Well done good sir

*tips hat*
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Chapter 4, Scene 1 is now up on the site. Kind of short since I only had half a month to finish it up (also I was working on some other major changes to my site, to be discussed in a different thread). This scene is mostly more character interaction and sets up the next scene.

http://prysus.com/purifiers_c4-1.htm

Note: Due to another project arising on me, the updates to the Purifier story may remain small (a page or two only). I want to keep updating it, but I will need to divide my attention to the other project as well. Hopefully you all understand.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the latest scene. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Next scene is now up, that's Chapter 4 (Scene 2). For the most part I continue where I left off in Scene 1, and Scene 3 will mostly pick up where Scene 2 leaves off. Really, all of Chapter 4 is one big scene broken up into smaller ones due to time constraints. Hope you don't mind.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c4-2.htm

I also gave the Purifiers its own page. So if you want to flip easily between the scenes I've added this page for it:

http://www.prysus.com/story_purifiers.htm

I think this helps give the Purifiers story a little extra attention and focus, while not allowing it to overwhelm the Stories page where it had been previously located (a link to the Purifer page can still be found on the Stories page).

If you're curious as to what's been taking up more of my time, I've made an update discussing my work on other proejcts here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137624&p=2790544#p2790544

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Still enjoying the read, the only thing that seems a little out of place it the way that when people respond you specifically identify them with a name and then says, which sometime makes them sound like they aren't emotionally there. I think a good editor would probably pick up on this (which i'm not, and I have nothing to do with writing, I just know what I like to read) but here goes.
eg
K'Ulnar sighs in relief and smiles. "Good to see you well, my friend. Enjoyed giving us a start, did you?"
"I do not know what you mean" says Mancer. "I was patrolling the grounds when I heard the sounds of battle in the distance. I came to investigate when I found all of you."
Shooter lights his pipe. "If you heard the same battle as the others," he questions, "then why did you arrive so much later?"
"Golem bodies are not known for their speed," replies Mancer.
"Fair enough," says Shooter. After taking a puff on his pipe he says, "Still, something is not right with this scene." He crouches down as he looks at the tracks on the ground, making his already diminutive stature even more minute

K'Ulnar sighs in relief and smiles. "Good to see you well, my friend. Enjoyed giving us a start, did you?"
"I do not know what you mean" came the deep growl from Mancer's golem body. "I was patrolling the grounds when I heard the sounds of battle in the distance. I came to investigate when I found all of you."
Shooter lights his pipe with a quick flick of his hand. "If you heard the same battle as the others, then why did you arrive so much later?" stabbing the point of the pipe towards Mancer.
"Golem bodies are not known for their speed".
"Fair enough," then taking a deep puff of his pipe, and concern still visible on his face, "hmmm, something is not right with this scene." He crouches down as he looks at the tracks on the ground, making his already diminutive stature even more minute

Too many say's seems to interfere with the flow of your story (might be just me), but as mentioned still enjoying it. more more :)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:Still enjoying the read, the only thing that seems a little out of place it the way that when people respond you specifically identify them with a name and then says, which sometime makes them sound like they aren't emotionally there.
[snip]
Too many say's seems to interfere with the flow of your story (might be just me), but as mentioned still enjoying it. more more :)

Greetings and Salutations. Glad you're still enjoying it, and I still intend more. And yes, there shall be more. I intend to keep going until at least Chapter 8 (my chapter setup is currently only a loose outline, so Chapters may get moved up or pushed back as I write it), because I have some big plans for that. After that I'll re-evaluate if I should continue or not. Currently I have plans for somewhere around 11 Chapters (maybe more), with a potential spin-off, continuing this one (even after the 11), or maybe a new story. But after Chapter 8 (as it's currently planned), I want to take stock of my progress and people's overall impression/thoughts/etc.

As for the comments, I appreciate it. The reason I use "says" so much is because I remember reading once a critique of writing about how people try to get too fancy and if someone says something the writer should just write 'says' (or something like that). So when I started this story I decided to stick with that basic concept in mind. With that said ... it annoys the crap out of me too. I do still need to identify who is speaking (especially with so many characters), but I think I can get more creative.

With that said, I think I'll take your advice in future updates and see if I can get more creative with it (without getting too fancy). Using the "says" basic I think helped me get started on this project, but since the project is also for me to develop I think it's time I experiment a bit more again. So I appreciate the advice. Never fear giving me a good kick in the pants. Sometimes it's needed. Should I ever disagree or debate something with a criticism, it's because I genuinely don't understand it or I disagree (and explaining why) even though I respect your opinion. So never worry about hurting my feelings or discouraging me or anything like that. Criticism is good. It's how we get better.

Thank you for your continued interest and please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. These updates are getting a little later and a little later in the month, aren't they? Well, next month might be no update at all. Life is a little busy, and for those that didn't know I'm getting married at the end of the month, and preparations and such is taking up time. For that reason, there may be no update next month (I'll try, but don't count on it). So the next update may not be until September. But enough on what I'm not doing, and let's focus on what I have done. Chapter 4, Scene 3 is now up! I had tried to finish the chapter this month, but ever after writing today I realized I was only halfway through my notes for this chapter and that means it still had a while to go. I realized I had a while to go, so I tried to stop at a good point.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c4-3.htm

That's all for now. Hope you've been enjoying the story so far, and hope you continue doing so well into the future. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. No update last month (or any other writing for a month and a half really) for reasons already stated, but I've returned. I finished Chapter 4, Scene 4 earlier this week, and just barely put it up on my site right now. This concludes Chapter 4, and next month (October) will begin Chapter 5 in the aftermath of these events, with further explanations on some of the events we see here. As always, feedback appreciated. Enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys.

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c4-4.htm

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

:) good to see your return
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'm tired and frustrated (updating my site will do that), but didn't want to put this off any longer since I didn't update last month. Long story short: I did some writing on my PF manuscript, but at the end of the month something came up in real life. Long story short: Started off minor, turned into something major, then back to something minor that should be fine as long as we keep an eye on the situation. The most I'll say is everything is fine, no worries, just caused a temporary shift in focus.

I had wanted to make a BIG update to make up for it, but I've really been busy with that PF manuscript (see the Spoilers thread for more details). As such, only a small scene this month. Note: I also added some new material to my site, but I haven't updated my main page, messed up a few of the layouts, and too tired to fix that all tonight (I should be doing so tomorrow ... I hope). I was just going to finish all the updates at once, but I really don't want to keep putting off the update to my Purifiers so here we go (without further ado).

http://www.prysus.com/purifiers_c5-1.htm

Enjoy. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hope everything stays ok and you get more time to write again.
Last edited by kiralon on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

kiralon wrote:Hope everything stay ok and you get more time to write again.

Greetings and Salutations. I hope so too. And, not to jinx anything but ... things are looking good. I'm almost finished with my PF manuscript (so that's more or less out of the way), for the first time since I've moved to Boise a year and a half ago (actually, even before then when I was still living in Chicago) I've been hired on from Temp to Full-Time employee (just happened today, and it's a wonderful feeling), a 25% pay increase, vacation days so I can attend the POH2015, and I'm still married to the most beautiful, wonderful, amazing woman in the universe. Life is looking pretty good right now.

Note: This current job is only a 4-day work week (four 10 hour days). While waking up at 4am had been draining (I'm a night person, not a morning person), I'm getting adjusted (previously I'd felt drained for the whole weekend) and that's why I've gotten so much writing done the last couple of months. Most of that writing was for my manuscript, but time and productivity was still good. Once the manuscript is finished (which is my current top priority), I'll be focusing more attention on the Purifiers story which will move to my new top priority (in writing). I'll also start some side work on a Rifter article I promised someone I'd work on like 2 years ago. That's of course if Palladium doesn't jump on a few other ideas I've been brewing in the background and alter my timing on everything.

Anyways, that's all for now. Just wanted to say things are good, and looking like they'll stay that way (I hope). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, it's been a couple of months, so I guess it's time I address the current situation. For those that want a brief version: I might not update the story for a few months.

Long version: For those that don't know I've been having some problems with my website, primarily in updating it. When I first made it in like 2002 (maybe earlier?) I used FrontPage (FP). I continued using it when I did my revamp a few years ago. My web host stopped supporting it. The computer I had FP installed on is dying, I can't find the disk with the product key, there's various complaints about it not producing compatable coding (in general, not specifically about my site), etc. We've been at the point that it now takes me an hour (or more) to update a single page. Actually, the last update took like 3 or 4 hours, left me with a headache, and I realized after the fact I forgot to update 2 or 3 pages. Ugh ...

So I've been looking into some replacement options. After some browsing, looks like I'm going to settle on Dreamweaver (I really don't like the subscription to the Creative Cloud, but seems like the program will still be my best option) and have a template to help out. When I'm done, my site should get a new face lift (the way I've wanted to make it look years ago), be MUCH easier to update, and allow me to make various other changes. The problem is that I actually have to LEARN how to use Dreamweaver better, and I also need to then update every page to the site. This will probably take a couple (or more) months. My apologies to all involved, but I do truly believe this is for the best in the long term. I know a little bit about coding, but only a little bit and most of this will be new ground for me with a steep learning curve. I hope you all understand.

Note: While the update to the site is the major reason for the delay, I will admit that after I finished my manuscript project (still in editing), my creative juices took a vacation. With the Purifiers, I can force myself when I want, but motivation has been an added problem. That's lead to this seemingly being the perfect time to update my site.

Thank you all for your time and interest, and please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Good Luck with the Upgrades and rebuilding the site

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”