1st edition house rules

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ScottBernard
Explorer

1st edition house rules

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Ive tried without luck to find any fansites based on Palladium Fantasy 1st edition. Does anyone here who still plays it use any house rules? If so would you mind sharing what youve done with the game?
Zamion138
Hero

Re: 1st edition house rules

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Im not saying this as jerk, and mybe im missing a huge underground 1st ed movement. But I think its only a small vocal minority that still run first ed. I could be wrong but i think flatline is all abouts the 1st ed. But I rarely hear any one else talk about it.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I only recently converted to 2nd edition (last 3 years). Loved the multiple OCCs.

We didnt change anything though.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I still play a hybrid first ed with lots of house rules, pm me and ill email em to ya
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Lord Malachdrim uses 1st edition rules. I'm not sure about house rules. Check this post out.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=139112
ImageImage
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Zamion138 wrote:Im not saying this as jerk, and mybe im missing a huge underground 1st ed movement. But I think its only a small vocal minority that still run first ed. I could be wrong but i think flatline is all abouts the 1st ed. But I rarely hear any one else talk about it.

It's a mixed bag. I like 1st edition's more fragile characters and the flavor added by having class specific combat skills, but I don't like spells per day.

But to be perfectly honest, if I were to run a fantasy campaign, my choice would probably be FUDGE or GURPS. In my old age, I find myself more and more intolerant of level based systems.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
ScottBernard
Explorer

kiralon wrote:I still play a hybrid first ed with lots of house rules, pm me and ill email em to ya

PM sent, thanks for that. :)
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Sorry, im not ignoring you, its just i had a hdd failure over the weekend and lost a significant amount of my typed up notes. Did you want just the combat modifications, or the whole kit and kaboodle.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

I know that Zachary the 1st still loves 1st ed as well
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
ScottBernard
Explorer

Whatever you are able to share, thank you.

Sorry to hear about your computer.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Just curious. What is the appeal for 1st edition vs 2nd?
ImageImage
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

1st ed's hand to hand styles are better, palladins aren't martial artists in our sense of the word, and the fighting styles are different to one another.
People don't have sdc
The Psionics arent as overpowered
1st ed has tombs of gersidi
1st ed merc fighters are what i about expect, people who have learned survival skills and fighting skills
2nd ed merc fighters can get trained as well as a palladin for hth, but still have enough time to learn lots of others skills
This will probably get me into trouble but 2nd ed to me was a nod to try to get rifts players to play by upping the power levels of things. (2nd ed mage can cast about a bazillion spells at level one compared to a first ed mage, a second ed wizard can learn damn good hth fighting arts at level 1, a 1st level 2nd ed psionicist can do a 20d6 damage attack, 2-4 attacks at level 1, basically a lot of the things the munchkins in my group wanted at level one rather then earning them by going up levels).

but i think its also because i played first ed first, and the different hth styles for the different classes really made palladium different to the other games that were out there at the time.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

1st edition HTHs, multiple OCCs, no ley lines, spells per day, elective skills.

I disagree that the psionics in 1st edition arent overpowered. I had a priest who had every psionic power except one and he wasnt a PCC!!!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

That takes some decent rolls though, i'd bet that character was a bit of a favourite as it would have been for me.
both editions have their ups and downs, i just prefer more of the first ed ones.
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

When I introduced my current group to Palladium, I wish I would have brought in the class specific h2h's.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

kiralon wrote:1st ed's hand to hand styles are better, palladins aren't martial artists in our sense of the word, and the fighting styles are different to one another.
People don't have sdc
The Psionics arent as overpowered
1st ed has tombs of gersidi
1st ed merc fighters are what i about expect, people who have learned survival skills and fighting skills
2nd ed merc fighters can get trained as well as a palladin for hth, but still have enough time to learn lots of others skills
This will probably get me into trouble but 2nd ed to me was a nod to try to get rifts players to play by upping the power levels of things. (2nd ed mage can cast about a bazillion spells at level one compared to a first ed mage, a second ed wizard can learn damn good hth fighting arts at level 1, a 1st level 2nd ed psionicist can do a 20d6 damage attack, 2-4 attacks at level 1, basically a lot of the things the munchkins in my group wanted at level one rather then earning them by going up levels).

but i think its also because i played first ed first, and the different hth styles for the different classes really made palladium different to the other games that were out there at the time.

I will say that after I have done both (more 1st than 2nd) I prefer 2nd- but that has to do with more time on 2nd, as I was a TMNT disciple, not a 1st Ed fan, and I have spent way more time on 2nd.
That being said, Kiralon is my newest player on my current 2nd ed campaign (in my sig) and he has been a great addition....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

kiralon wrote:a 1st level 2nd ed psionicist can do a 20d6 damage attack, 2-4 attacks at level 1

Only if you have a 360lb object within 60 feet. Plus that'd cost you 42 ISP.

...which even your average Psi-Mystic is going to have... and all Mind Mages have (assuming a ME of 0, usually that's higher)

It is scary that a 20d6 attack (which you can maintain for 2 minutes, no less) is pretty much just the MINIMUM of what one class can do, especially since they even get a decent strike bonus for it.

The main lesson would be I guess if you're attacking a mind mage, to do it somewhere where there aren't any heave objects around, like if they're swimming in the middle of a lake.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Tor wrote:
kiralon wrote:a 1st level 2nd ed psionicist can do a 20d6 damage attack, 2-4 attacks at level 1

Only if you have a 360lb object within 60 feet. Plus that'd cost you 42 ISP.

...which even your average Psi-Mystic is going to have... and all Mind Mages have (assuming a ME of 0, usually that's higher)

It is scary that a 20d6 attack (which you can maintain for 2 minutes, no less) is pretty much just the MINIMUM of what one class can do, especially since they even get a decent strike bonus for it.

The main lesson would be I guess if you're attacking a mind mage, to do it somewhere where there aren't any heave objects around, like if they're swimming in the middle of a lake.

Lol that one too, I was talking about mind bolt. 6 isp per 1d6 damage, extra isp can also give a bonus to strike and a range of 100ft per level, and the fact they get 12 isp back per hour of rest or meditation and 2 per hour even during heavy work/being tortured to death. A level 10 mind mage who rolled max isp at the start can do a 50d6 damage attack from 1000 ft away (hello sniper, about 1 in 200 mind mages have max isp), and wait until you see it in action on a ley line. 100d6 damage from 2000ft anyone.
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

Natural 20 to dodge works as an auto-dodge :)
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Only one house rule -

Play round my house.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I like that rule, I use it a often as possible :)
(But hey, I have the books and free beer)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

kiralon wrote:mind bolt. 6 isp per 1d6 damage, extra isp can also give a bonus to strike and a range of 100ft per level, and the fact they get 12 isp back per hour of rest or meditation and 2 per hour even during heavy work/being tortured to death. A level 10 mind mage who rolled max isp at the start can do a 50d6 damage attack from 1000 ft away (hello sniper, about 1 in 200 mind mages have max isp), and wait until you see it in action on a ley line. 100d6 damage from 2000ft anyone.

That is some pretty sweet range. In terms of pure damage accumulation and ISP efficiency, TK will win, but bolt wins on being able to do it subtley from far away.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

kiralon wrote:I like that rule, I use it a often as possible :)

I don't have the free beer (I'm mean, I make everyone bring their own food and drinks, 'cause I'm broke), but I have the really huge dining room table and a side room for private talks.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Don't roast me, but while I play 2ed, I do use 1ed vampires. A creature that can be killed with a nerf super soaker is not showing up in my game.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

That's funny, because I play first ed (well sorta) and use 2nd ed vampires (also again well sorta, they use 2nd eds stats but first eds description). If my players have access to a super soaker that's the least of its problems because its now usually dealing with grenade launchers, .50 cal sniping rifles and incendiary grenades (and tanks and machine guns and rocket launchers and uv lamps and white phosphorous grenades and so on).
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

kiralon wrote:I like that rule, I use it a often as possible :)

You play round my house? Thats a hell of a trip!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

We are very, very sneaky sir, nice basement by the way, but now that the gig is up the other players have requested a bigger beer fridge :)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

kiralon wrote:We are very, very sneaky sir, nice basement by the way, but now that the gig is up the other players have requested a bigger beer fridge :)

Ah, basements are rare in the UK. As are big fridges. :(
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Witches are the source of all level 7+ spells. Prove me wrong :)
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

So 2nd edition is basically Rifts without the laser guns and MDC armour?

I have wanted to start up a game but wasn't sure which edition I should run because I have never played either one. The whole point of switching to PF was to take a break from Rifts.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I just realized, Great Horned Dragons may also be the source of all spells. But since their magic is instinctive I don't know if they could teach it back then.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

being a multiclassed wizard/priest of od, isis or a few others is the best way to get spells, div int a high level scroll, scribe into spellbook
profit.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Screw those 11less pair, go with Kym-nark-Mar or Satan.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

The spells you can do is limited by your gods knowledge, so knm yes, sahtalus, only goes to lvl 11
isis and od have all wizard spells
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

This thread is 'first edition', put away Dragons and Gods.

Who the heck is Sahtalus? I said Satan.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

lol, first ed priests can only worship gods, not demons or devils.

edit (missed the not)
Last edited by kiralon on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Satan's a Devil, Kym-nar-mar's a god.

My mention of GHDs is more like 'wizards, seek out out and get them to actually teach you the spell or make you scrolls to learn from' type thing.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Tor wrote:Satan's a Devil, Kym-nar-mar's a god.

My mention of GHDs is more like 'wizards, seek out out and get them to actually teach you the spell or make you scrolls to learn from' type thing.

That's why you do it yourself as a multiclass priest wizard, given enough time and the right god you can learn all the spells.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If your god consents to empower you to create a scroll for your own personal use that you might eventually learn the spell from, eliminating your reliance on them for power...

Which they might be suspicious about.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”