Pets and Animal Companions

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Re: Pets and Animal Companions

Unread post by Prysus »

Mryoto wrote:Can anyone tell me the rules on animal companions and how they work in this game?
Or where I could find rules for it, one of my players asked about it, and I didn't have an actual answer for them. Any help you guys can give is appreciated.

Greetings and Salutations. Since this is the PF forum, I'll respond using only PF books. The first place to look is the Familiar Link spell. This is found on page 206 of the PF2 main book.

For animal selections, I recommend looking at the Monsters & Animals book. They'll have stats for a variety of animal types in there.

There's also the Beast Master O.C.C. from Yin-Sloth Jungles. This is a 1st Edition book, so you'd need conversions to use it in 2nd Edition. If you don't mind fan versions, this is a fan made update to 2nd Edition by Reagren Wright:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126867

Knights, Palladins, and Squires all start off with horses that they likely raised themselves. These horses could be friends/companions, but there are no special bonuses beyond perhaps some loyalty and kinship (this last sentence not mentioned in any book, just me talking).

The Sensitive Psionic power of Commune with Animals could help out on a limited basis (see the psionic for details).

There's also a 6th level invocation called Control the Beasts on page 198. Probably even less what you're looking for than Commune with Animals, but just trying to provide a wide variety of options.

If you were including Rifts, I think there's the Shifter O.C.C. and I believe one of the Rifters has a few added critters.

That's all I can think of. For the most part, this is not something there's a lot of within PF. Anything else is up to the G.M. The G.M. might rule that an animal is friendly and/or helps out, but in general there's no special bonuses, communication, or anything like that. Hope some of that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

More detailed info on familiars can be found in Mysteries of Magic 47-50.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

and there is a extended horses blurb here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138100#p2667000
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

@Thaliat
I don't see why you could not have snakes/reptiles as regular pets, but their role/usefulness is likely less than via the use of power/ability found in the Familiar spell/power (and other races as natural abilities such as in Rifts you have the Simvan, Lyvorrk).

Mryoto wrote:Can anyone tell me the rules on animal companions and how they work in this game?
Or where I could find rules for it, one of my players asked about it, and I didn't have an actual answer for them. Any help you guys can give is appreciated.

In addition to what's been said, I think it would depend on the animal and the nature of the bond (training/skill or power/ability).

Skills:
Falconry Skill covers avians (PF2E pg54) and notes how the GM should allow their use.
Animal Husbandry (pg53 2E) doesn't help
Breed dogs (pg58 2E) skill really doesn't help. Probably because dogs are more familiar in what to expect than avians.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Basically, unless you've got an OCC power, you say "I have a pet" and produce a couple skills that show you can take care of said pet. Said pet becomes an NPC.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

There are no rules that really go into it too much. Other then the Beast Master OCC.

So feel free to use whatever resource you want. I do!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Mark Hall wrote:Basically, unless you've got an OCC power, you say "I have a pet" and produce a couple skills that show you can take care of said pet. Said pet becomes an NPC.

Or a spell or a scroll like tame beast. Or skill Falconry.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I just thought of something horrid folks. Gypsy/Hidden witches can transform into cats/foxes/ravens.

If they're evil, their demon can manifest as a raven... and they often take cats/foxes as familiars.

What happens if the witch is of 1 gender and their familiar or demon are of the opposite and they take the same form? Hijinx?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”