PPE Batteries

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Justthis Guy
Explorer

PPE Batteries

Unread post by Justthis Guy »

My group recently were fighting a group of koblods that were holed up. The mage used most of her PPE during the encounter. The place was dark and they were using globe of daylight to see, and various other spells during the combat. Being a first level mage, she was easily emptied of PPE.
The party then had to rest and recharge before continuing. They stopped and healed and then meditated.

I need more info on ways for the mage to have access to more PPE, namely from batteries. info on the amount one can hold and how it can be recharged, and the availability and cost to buy them. Gems seem to be pretty common where they are now (Old Kingdom). Is there a rule of thumb for determining the amount of PPE a gem can hold based on its type? a citrine can hold up to 25 PPE, a Topaz up to say 50, a diamond up to ??250? any thoughts?
I read a few older threads about the mage drawing from other party members and opponents. I like the 3/4 rule from the willing, if stated by the player. I would like some more clarification and thoughts from drawing from opponents and if the mage can tap into the energy of the dying. My silly ass mage thinks she can tank! She stabbed a kobold and critted for double damage, so he was knocked down to -HP, and bleeding out. Do you think I can allow my mage to draw double PPE from her "victim" if she does this again?
The answer to Life the Universe and Everything is 42!!! but just what is the question? hmm . .
Arthemus
Wanderer

Re: PPE Batteries

Unread post by Arthemus »

According to the official rules (MoM), drawing PPE from the dead requires a few melees of concentration. It's really made more for ritual sacrifice. A mage can't just run around the battlefield sucking up power from all the dead bodies.

My question is: Why is she running out so fast? I'm guessing that there's lots of Fire Bolt spam. That will run you dry pretty fast. Point out some of the devastating, low PPE spells that can really turn the tide in combat. For example:

Increase Weight - cast on enemy weapons -no one is going to be swinging a weapon that weighs 100lbs.
Befuddle - nice penalties
Magic Net
Blinding Flash - ridiculous. -5 str and -10 par/dod? 1d4 melees for 1 PPE. ridiculous. Should also come with friendly fire effects.

and the king of the ridiculously overpowered 2nd level spells: LEVITATION. Float his ass in the air while your bowman turns him into a pin cushion.

Are you the GM of the group? If she's out of PPE, she's out. Role play it.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I would also add that regenrating PPE is pretty quick in my opinion.

I agree, roll play it, make her role play using it wisely. She can still swing a sword if she's out.

Dont forget that talismans can hold 50 ppe IIRC.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Justthis Guy
Explorer

I am the GM. She cast a couple of carpets of adhesion, and several globes of daylight. Being first level she does not have but around 80 or so PPE I think. She sucked on her PPE rolls.
Like I said they meditated to recharge the spent PPE and ISP (healer).
I probably need to look at her grimiore to see what hse has spell wise. There are a couple of mages just ahead of them. If they can take them out I will let her find their spell books perhaps.
The answer to Life the Universe and Everything is 42!!! but just what is the question? hmm . .
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Arthemus wrote:According to the official rules (MoM), drawing PPE from the dead requires a few melees of concentration. It's really made more for ritual sacrifice. A mage can't just run around the battlefield sucking up power from all the dead bodies.

My question is: Why is she running out so fast? I'm guessing that there's lots of Fire Bolt spam. That will run you dry pretty fast. Point out some of the devastating, low PPE spells that can really turn the tide in combat. For example:

Increase Weight - cast on enemy weapons -no one is going to be swinging a weapon that weighs 100lbs.
Befuddle - nice penalties
Magic Net
Blinding Flash - ridiculous. -5 str and -10 par/dod? 1d4 melees for 1 PPE. ridiculous. Should also come with friendly fire effects.

and the king of the ridiculously overpowered 2nd level spells: LEVITATION. Float his ass in the air while your bowman turns him into a pin cushion.

Are you the GM of the group? If she's out of PPE, she's out. Role play it.

Case in point, the Blinding Flash spell does have friendly fire effects...
PFRPG pg 189: "The invocation creates a sudden burst of intense, white light, temporarily blinding everyone in its ten foot (3 m) radius."

I don't know about you, but I think "everyone" applies to friend and foe alike. The only person unaffected within the radius of effect would be the caster.

As for PPE batteries, Talismans are always a handy item, and yes, absorbing PPE from one's allies is possible.So long as they give consent, up to 70% of the donor's PPE can be tapped. Others can also have their PPE drawn from them as well using the ruling of drawing up to 50% of a person's PPE from them so long as they are unaware of the PPE theft. People who actively resist a mage's drawing of PPE from them cannot be tapped.

Personally, I allow mages to attempt to draw PPE from their enemies unless the opponent makes a successful Perception check to spot the mage. If they fail, the mage can tap PPE from them until they actually cast a spell as they are unaware of their PPE being siphoned off by the mage until the spell effect goes off. At that point they become unwilling targets of PPE draw and begin actively resisting. If the perception roll is successful, the person figures out a mage is nearby and becomes an unwilling target, thus making them unable to have their PPE taken.
As for drawing PPE from downed opponents, that's a tough one. Yes, PPE is doubled at the moment of death and can be harnessed and used by a mage, but in a combat situation one has to consider that siphoning PPE from any kind of battery, including harnessing PPE from a 'blood sacrifice' actually takes a moment of concentration to focus on gathering the PPE from the target in question. This can result in your mage managing to take out somebody on the battlefield and try siphoning their PPE as they die, but the mage is then horribly vulnerable to attack for a few critical moments as the concentrate on gathering the PPE. I say either rule that combat is just too fast paced of an environment to gather PPE from a dying foe, or rule your mage may attempt to do so but it will cost an attack or two during which the mage cannot attack or defend themself as they focus on harnessing the energy.

More details on siphoning PPE from people can be found on PFRPG pg 181.

Good luck and great gaming!
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

Hate to sound mean but a mage w/low PPE sounds like a great avenue for roleplaying, they will have to learn to budget or face the consequences.
Plus if you leave spellbooks laying around that could skew game balance. Am not familiar w/ using gems to store PPE except where they are mentioned in the the Eastern Territories book. This all sounds real expensive for such a low level.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Get "fleet feet" and use a sword. :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Arthemus
Wanderer

Unread post by Arthemus »

If trying to play by the rules, with little house rules, there would be no grimoires. Main Book explicitly states that wizards don't write their spells down. Pg 104 left column, right around the middle.

Alternatives: Instead, meet a friendly wizard, and have her trade some spells. Have her run jobs for alchemists in exchange for spells, etc.
Justthis Guy
Explorer

So I came up with this idea for various gems - what do you think?
Amethyst- holds 1d4x10, natural recharge rate 1/day or 2/hour when in bed of purple flowers

Aquamarine- holds 10d6- only charges when placed in flowing water – 3 per hour

Bloodstone- holds 10d12 – only recharges by absorbing PPE from a death within two meters of it

Citrine – holds 1d4x10 recharges by placing in a citrus fruit overnight- fruit will be withered in the morning, stone must be at least 2 carats and no flaws- makes hard to obtain (rare)

Diamond-holds carat weight x 100 only recharges by talisman spell

Emerald- carat weight x 50 only recharges by talisman spell

Garnet – holds 2d6 x 10 – charges in a fire – 20/hour – 20% chance will break each hour! Must be in the flames or hot coals stone must be at least 2 carats and no flaws- makes hard to obtain (rare)

Lapis lazuli - found with natural PPE of carat x 5 can never be recharged- typical stone size is 10-20 carats - any stone that has been worked (not natural) has no PPE

Moonstone- holds 150 PPE, only recharges under a full moon - stone must be at least 2 carats and no flaws- makes hard to obtain (rare)

Opal – when a large opal of at least 4 carats is worn by the mage, it will have and hold ½ of the mage’s PPE and recharge at the same rate of the mage- must be worn next to the skin for a full month before the effect will begin. Opals this size are rare and costly

Peridot - holds 1d4x10, natural recharge rate 1/day or 2/hour when in bed of yellow flowers

Quartz – only a naturally occurring double terminated crystal can hold PPE. They hold 100 PPE and recharge at 1/hour or by mage holding while meditating and then the PPE is at 10/hour

Ruby - carat weight x 50 only recharges by talisman spell

Sapphire - carat weight x 50 only recharges by talisman spell

Star Sapphire- holds 150 PPE – only charges under the new moon, stone must be at least 2 carats

Topaz- regardless of size, it holds 15 PPE, recharges at ½ /day – although common, a mage can never have more than 2 for PPE use, and they cannot be used together or stored together.

The stones must be large enough and of finest quality typically which helps limit the availability.
Justthis Guy
Explorer

Arthemus wrote:If trying to play by the rules, with little house rules, there would be no grimoires. Main Book explicitly states that wizards don't write their spells down. Pg 104 left column, right around the middle.

Alternatives: Instead, meet a friendly wizard, and have her trade some spells. Have her run jobs for alchemists in exchange for spells, etc.

Mysteries of Magic mentions that you can find them, but several if not most spells will be known by the player already. it was just a thought
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The way to make PPE batteries in the PF setting are quite few and rare. Namely there is only the Talisman spell, which can make PPE batteries out of anything with in the limitations of the spell.

Yes, the mage can collect the death PPE if the mage is prepared to grab it when it appears. It is only double the PPE of the current amount of PPE that the person has. And, Yes, that mage would be a murderer to killing the person. So you would have to make a alinement check to see if the mage would do such a thing.

----------------------------------------------------

As for Justthis Guy's ideas, I find them nice but I would limit them three ways. First to mages that have had the time to research how to enchant the stones to store PPE via those methods. Second, I would also limit the recharging to be 'while on a ley line' also. With the chemicals just 'activating' the enchantments. Third, I would limit the number of type of stones a mage use to 1 per level over level 7.

Another limiting factor, alternent from the above, would be that the mage can buy such stones from an alchemist, but could not make them himself.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Some artifacts can hold PPE, talismans, I know 2 gemstones (diamonds and I forget the other) can hold PPE, there is something in mystic china that can hold PPE. Plus there are such things as foci (focuses) that can reduce the cost of PPE by a percentage x times a day, and then there's the really "quick" way to regain PPE in my groups games...uh, how old is the player? Note, I said player. Not PC.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

pblackcrow wrote:Some artifacts can hold PPE, talismans, I know 2 gemstones (diamonds and I forget the other) can hold PPE, there is something in mystic china that can hold PPE. Plus there are such things as foci (focuses) that can reduce the cost of PPE by a percentage x times a day, and then there's the really "quick" way to regain PPE in my groups games...uh, how old is the player? Note, I said player. Not PC.

Artifacts are treasures that are found not made. There are a few magic items in PF that can hold PPE, but most are single use items.
If you mean the Rune item equivalents in the NB setting then, not a part of PF canon, thus not available to PF chars, canonly speaking.

Talismans, mentioned those already.

Diamonds and emeralds, when prepared by a TW can hold PPE without needing the talisman spell to charge/recharge. TW's are not a part of PF canon. Thus not available to PF chars, canonly speaking.

Vajra, from MC, are made by Chi Mages and are not a part of the PF canon.Thus not available to PF chars, canonly speaking.

Players???? are you suggesting to break the 5th wall and have the mage draw PPE from the players? :D

The reason I did not mention TW diamonds and Emeralds, and Vajra, and NB artifacts is because they are not in the PF setting. Thus not part of any canon answer.

The reason I did not mention the store bought PPE batteries is because he was asking about things he could make himself.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Justthis Guy
Explorer

Turns out the i/we forgot to give the mage her OCC PPE. She only had her racial (elven) PPE to work with.
I think I may introduce the PPE gems with some of the suggested limitations into the game, or might not. She has enough PPE to work with now, but I can see her want and needing more as the game progresses.
Yesterday the group finished for the most part the complex they were exploring. There are just a mated pair of gruunor left in the place.
They also found a portal to Uncle Remus's shop there and went in and shopped. I managed to take a bunch of the swag they found off their hands for a tidy profit of 40% or so! And Remus was happy he did not have to take any of that boring yellow metal.
pblackcrow
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:Some artifacts can hold PPE, talismans, I know 2 gemstones (diamonds and I forget the other) can hold PPE, there is something in mystic china that can hold PPE. Plus there are such things as foci (focuses) that can reduce the cost of PPE by a percentage x times a day, and then there's the really "quick" way to regain PPE in my groups games...uh, how old is the player? Note, I said player. Not PC.

Artifacts are treasures that are found not made. There are a few magic items in PF that can hold PPE, but most are single use items.
If you mean the Rune item equivalents in the NB setting then, not a part of PF canon, thus not available to PF chars, canonly speaking.

Diamonds and emeralds, when prepared by a TW can hold PPE without needing the talisman spell to charge/recharge. TW's are not a part of PF canon. Thus not available to PF chars, canonly speaking.

Vajra, from MC, are made by Chi Mages and are not a part of the PF canon.Thus not available to PF chars, canonly speaking.

Players???? are you suggesting to break the 5th wall and have the mage draw PPE from the players? :D

The reason I did not mention TW diamonds and Emeralds, and Vajra, and NB artifacts is because they are not in the PF setting. Thus not part of any canon answer.

The reason I did not mention the store bought PPE batteries is because he was asking about things he could make himself.

OH BROTHER! Another Canonknight on a crusade to point out everything that is not canon. Just kidding, Mate.

I was suggesting drawing from a tantric rituals. Which REALLY is not canon either, but it gets the job done...in more ways than one.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

pblackcrow wrote:I was suggesting drawing from a tantric rituals. Which REALLY is not canon either, but it gets the job done...in more ways than one.

That's one way for a group to take a brake mid-dungeon crawl.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Vajra is in PF just one example though, in the LoB they have a rune version, but as far as I know thats it.

Also in the Northern Hinterlands they have xanthine cost 20k a carat and only holds 20ppe/carat.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Justthis Guy wrote:Turns out the i/we forgot to give the mage her OCC PPE. She only had her racial (elven) PPE to work with.
I think I may introduce the PPE gems with some of the suggested limitations into the game, or might not. She has enough PPE to work with now, but I can see her want and needing more as the game progresses.
Yesterday the group finished for the most part the complex they were exploring. There are just a mated pair of gruunor left in the place.
They also found a portal to Uncle Remus's shop there and went in and shopped. I managed to take a bunch of the swag they found off their hands for a tidy profit of 40% or so! And Remus was happy he did not have to take any of that boring yellow metal.

Always happy to take the unwanted from those that don't need it! I mean, can you imagine the billion or more side applications for half the stuff that gets brought into my shop?! Anyway, glad I coulod be of service... stop by anytime for any and all of your magical needs! As a special bonus [shameless plug moment] Now at Uncle Remus' Emporium of the Arcane... Learn the incantation of one spell... get taught the incantation of another spell of equal or lesser level for 1/2 price!! Any spell up to 10th level is being taught with this special for one week only!! NOW at Uncle Remus' Emporium of the Arcane, the home of ALL your magical needs!![/shameless plug moment]
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

St. Evil wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:
Also in the Northern Hinterlands they have xanthine cost 20k a carat and only holds 20ppe/carat.

This is where you can get a substantial PPE bracelet, necklace, or rings.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

St. Evil wrote:Vajra is in PF just one example though, in the LoB they have a rune version, but as far as I know thats it.

A RUNE item shaped as a Vajra. Yes, I am familiar with it. :thwak:
That would count as the exception to the rules that confirm the rules, At Best.
That Rune item is what it is, a Rune Item, as it is listed there.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pblackcrow
Champion

Cinos wrote:That's one way for a group to take a brake mid-dungeon crawl.

:lol: Well, you would assume that they take a few minutes to preform their bodily functions. So, just ask if they would mind masturbating inside a magical circle setup to transfer the tantric energy. :lol: You never know til you ask. :lol:

And yes, I'm joking. Though, 2 of my characters have done that before. But only when they were desperately needing the power boost. Don't mean to gross any one out on here. And should this seam extreme for anyone feel free to tell the powers that be to remove this post. I won't get mad.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
St. Evil
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
St. Evil wrote:Vajra is in PF just one example though, in the LoB they have a rune version, but as far as I know thats it.

A RUNE item shaped as a Vajra. Yes, I am familiar with it. :thwak:
That would count as the exception to the rules that confirm the rules, At Best.
That Rune item is what it is, a Rune Item, as it is listed there.

To the OP sorry for this jack.

I thought canon would be anything printed in PF books. To say that Toltanna is not a varja would be like saying, "Deathkiss is not a sword." Especially when it states in LoB that Toltanna is a varja. Can they not be what they are as well as a rune item?

Back to OP, check out how much it would cost to have an alchemist cast the Talisman spell for a 50PPE battery to help explain why I would be against some of the gem ideas for PPE storage.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

It is both, Rune Item and vajra. However, far as PF canon goes it is a Rune item. If you do n't believe that then look where it is listed.

There are also no canon listings of any other vajra in PF, nor is the "make them" spell in PF. Therefore, vajra are not available in PF canon. Except for the afor mentioned Rune vajra.

Taking Stuff from other settings is the Option of the GM. Sort of like how Most rifter material is Optional.
St. Evil
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It is both, Rune Item and vajra. However, far as PF canon goes it is a Rune item. If you do n't believe that then look where it is listed.

There are also no canon listings of any other vajra in PF, nor is the "make them" spell in PF. Therefore, vajra are not available in PF canon. Except for the afor mentioned Rune vajra.

Taking Stuff from other settings is the Option of the GM. Sort of like how Most rifter material is Optional.

I am glad you finally agree with my post.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

St. Evil wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It is both, Rune Item and vajra. However, far as PF canon goes it is a Rune item. If you do n't believe that then look where it is listed.

Nope.
The reasons for not mentioning it as a canon option still stand.
St. Evil
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
St. Evil wrote:

Nope.
The reasons for not mentioning it as a canon option still stand.

Which is what I said in the first post "Vajra is in PF just one example though, in the LoB they have a rune version, but as far as I know thats it." So why is some stuff that is printed in a PF book canon, & other stuff isn't? I never said some alchemist had made a bunch, I never said their is a treasure trove of these elsewhere. I just want to know if you stand by your other posts if it is in PFbooks it is canon for PF?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

[quote="drewkitty ~..~"]The way to make PPE batteries in the PF setting are quite few and rare. Namely there is only the Talisman spell, which can make PPE batteries out of anything with in the limitations of the spell.[\quote]

That the talisman spell is the only way spelled out specifically in the PF books that PPE batteries can be made by PC's.
Yes, I will stick by that.

The Rune Item you pointed out is not a specific PC able way to make a PPE battery via the Create Vajra spell because it did not bring that spell (and it's associated spells) into the PF setting books. Where it stands in PF canon, is just a creatively made Rune Item.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Ahem, Xanthine. I'd have to re-read Nothern Hinterlands, but I don't believe it needs any kind of alchemical intervention. Raw, natural (or worked) Xanthine can work as a PPE battery.

Very, very expensive though. However, combine Xanthine in to a Galandrium (sp?) ring and you have a damned powerful magical weapon.

In Coalition wars, they were sought after as imports to fight the coalition because of how powerful they were (I think with 5 carat Xanthine stones in them, so 100PPE plus halving PPE cost for spells).
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

Wow. A wizard running dry at magic at 1st level. That happens in every game system. Deal with it. Perhaps, they should have brought more conventional lighting..i.e...torches, lanterns and such. It sounds like a party mistake. Whoops on their part.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

As far as it goes, Low level wizards are generally not very powerful. At level 1 they have a grand total of 12 spells, 1 of level 4, one of 3, and 2 each of level 1 and 2 other than the basic 6 spells all Wizards know. That is why they are supposed to fight smart.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'm sort of with gdub here. You updated the PPE so that will help but usually, someone who is free with the PPE or ISP will run dry just because she is not being cautious. It will take a little longer, but they'll still do it. Hopefully, the PC will realize after that battle that she needs to be a little more efficient and judicious with the casting to preserve the PPE.

MEditation and absorbing the PPE of the willing are good ways to get it back. IF you're in a populated area, just taking 1d4 at a time from unknowing people is a good way to go since you have so many from whom to siphon. Talismans and Xanthine are really rare so a first level mage having one is awfully lucky for her. If you go with the gems being easy storage for the PPE then she'll become a spell casting dynamo. With all the extra PPE she'll drop spells on everyone in sight. The lowish PPE is sort of a check on the power of the mages.

-Vek
"Cloud of Slumber for Everyone!"
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

Rereading my post, I guess I sounded a little jerkish. I apologize. I wasn't playing and have no idea what situation the GM placed them in either. Perhaps they didn't have time to prepare for a dungeon delve. Anyways...
The Wizard to me needs no changes. Trust me, he gets more love for spell casting than in most systems. A 1st level Wizard can still cast an impressive amount of spells right from the start. Much better than other systems that give their spellcaster 1 spell/day to use at 1st. The gems would only unbalance the game. Especially given that they would be rather easily accessible.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Das a Diabolist have a Ward/Runes that absorb and stores ppe release in Ritual sacrifice?
ther will also be a ward that allows access to it,normally put on a item.

If Not Well hope it,s in a MoM,s books with New Diabolist,s wards.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaby wrote:Das a Diabolist have a Ward/Runes that absorb and stores ppe release in Ritual sacrifice?
ther will also be a ward that allows access to it,normally put on a item.

If Not Well hope it,s in a MoM,s books with New Diabolist,s wards.

While there is the "mystic energy drain" ward listed in the PF2 book, I see no ward/ward sequence that "absorbs and stores PPE" as stated above.

However, ward sequences are also the provence of what GM's have in their games. So an individual GM could let a player do this in his game.
victor15065
Wanderer

Unread post by victor15065 »

As a summoner I summon those manna worms I can't remember what book but they eat the PPE from my non magic teammates then kill them when there full 36 points giving me 2x that when they die and easy to kill
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:...Players???? are you suggesting to break the 5th wall and have the mage draw PPE from the players? :D...

4th wall. They'd be breaking the 4th Wall.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I use wands to help with ppe usage. Place 100 ppe in a wand and it becomes 150ppe, but you lose the wand you lose the ppe until you do the ritual to reclaim it.
victor15065
Wanderer

Unread post by victor15065 »

Where are the rules for putting ppe into wands never heard of that before
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

victor15065 wrote:Where are the rules for putting ppe into wands never heard of that before

The Talisman invocation has PPE battery creation text.
There is also text in the RUE TW creation rules.

However, the former limited to mages with the talisman spell and the latter is limited to TW's.

Outside of these most GMs will have house rules that will let a mage char make PPE batteries following the TW text's limitations on emeralds and diamonds.
----
There is the other thing is that the person you were responding to was stating his/her house rule. Which is probably why you've never heard of it.
------------------------------------
Then there is the part that in most of the PB gamebooks there are no wands mentioned. And if they are mentioned (other then Millennium tree wands) they are more "in passing" then saying anything useful about them. This staying away from wands might be in response to how D&D has wand this and wand that, and wand or this other thing, etc...,etc...etc...ad nausium.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

There are unofficial wand creation rules in The Rifter #19. As presented, creating wands is an inherent class ability for Palladium Wizards 8th level or higher. The rules aren't bad, establishing how many spells of a level range can be contained in a wand and a few options for tweaking their cast effects, but they do read a bit like a first draft. I'm planning to mess around with them a bit for my own amusement.

In short, the battery wand costs 260 P.P.E. to create, 60 to recharge, and has a maximum charge of 60. They're also volatile, exploding when broken or brought into contact with another wand; so no bundles of P.P.E. batteries.
IrncladZmbie113
D-Bee

Unread post by IrncladZmbie113 »

Would I be outta place to ask about ISP batteries? I have been looking for some for my Mind Mage but can't find anything for it.
"To the BatMobile!"
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

AFAIK there are none.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Well there is this really big castle that stores 1,000,000 isp
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

@ the OP:
Ley Lines and Nexux points would be another way to recharge PPE faster, I know you are looking at PPE Batteries, but.... This also has other benefits to in terms of performance, all of which is dictated by how close one is (and as GM you control it). They can also tap the Ley Line for additional energy just by being close enough (so it is a battery they can use so to speak).

Scrolls are another way they can spend PPE for the long term. Talismans/PPE batteries still have to be recharged, and usually at additional cost. While these are a bit more flexible in terms of use of the PPE and cheaper than battery option (if not considering using the 500PPE cost to make, just the 100PPE to store 50PPE).

Another way is to gain a high PPE familiar to draw upon (PF2E pg156 has HP/PPE of animal types). May not even need to be familiars, but regular animals (horses allow 4d6 PPE, and canines have between 2-4d6 PPE) or other exotic creatures that might have higher PPE.

Import spells from Rifts to diversify the spell list (at least from the main book). IIRC there are options here ("Energy Sphere" IIRC). Rifts might also have other options you could import/adapt.

IrncladZmbie113 wrote:Would I be outta place to ask about ISP batteries? I have been looking for some for my Mind Mage but can't find anything for it.

In Palladium Fantasy. You might be out of luck (best place might be to look at the Island on the Edge of Forever, but I don't own the book or flipped through it I'm basing it on Palladium's bullet list of what's there, which IIRC included Psychic items). If you are willing to adapt/import stuff from Rifts there might be things to help: Phase World has a helmet that can reduce ISP cost (no reason it can't be duplicated in PF, if you can find the right type of quartz), IIRC the SA1 book might have something, then you have Psi-Cola in Psycape Book, etc..
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

IrncladZmbie113 wrote:Would I be outta place to ask about ISP batteries? I have been looking for some for my Mind Mage but can't find anything for it.

There is a ring in the Western Empire alchemy section that stores ISP, and a gem in Easter Territories that does the same.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Idrantine Circlet (W.E.) are head bands and most (85%) can not be recharged.
The Beads of Soul (E.T) are non-rechargable PPE batteries.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Crystal Castle is the best one, 1mill isp cant be beat.
Users of ISP generally don't need storage devices as the rate that they regenerate isp is fast. To me this is more of a balance thing.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:Crystal Castle is the best one, 1mill isp cant be beat. ...snip

Yep, but you can't carry it around in your pocket. :wink:
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

kiralon wrote:Crystal Castle is the best one, 1mill isp cant be beat.
Users of ISP generally don't need storage devices as the rate that they regenerate isp is fast. To me this is more of a balance thing.

Is fantasy different than the other palladium settings in regard to ISP regeneration? In Rifts, PPE is way easier to replenish.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
kiralon wrote:Crystal Castle is the best one, 1mill isp cant be beat. ...snip

Yep, but you can't carry it around in your pocket. :wink:

Not from lack of pc's trying though, the wizard had one of the better idea, a mystic portal to within 30 miles of the castle and just stick your mind mages hand back through the portal and then let the mind mage go for it .
150000d6 mind bolt anyone ? :lol:
Palladium Mind Mages get back 2 isp per hour doing anything and 12 per hour of rest/meditation

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”