The Great Oak of Gedro in the Timiro Kingdom vs Bizantium's

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

The Great Oak of Gedro in the Timiro Kingdom vs Bizantium's

Unread post by Hotrod »

I was going through town descriptions and maps tonight as part of my Timiro map research when I noticed that the town of Gedro is built around a "Great Oak," which reminded me of the Great Oak in the new Bizantium book. The Bizantium version seems similar to millennium trees, but nothing much is said about Gedro's Great Oak other than that the people there really seem to like it.

What do you think? Should it be a Great Oak like the one in Bizantium, or is it just a big, pretty, and old oak tree?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: The Great Oak of Gedro in the Timiro Kingdom vs Bizantiu

Unread post by Library Ogre »

And there's the Millenium Tree in the Eastern Territories, too.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hmm, definitely a decision for the GM to make. Glade and Stonebrook are isolated communities far away
from everyday civilization. Gedro is also off the main trial. So I suppose probable but in a History of
Timiro it would be difficult to believe that Elves and Humans would have used the tree in some way to their
advantage.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:Hmm, definitely a decision for the GM to make. Glade and Stonebrook are isolated communities far away
from everyday civilization. Gedro is also off the main trial. So I suppose probable but in a History of
Timiro it would be difficult to believe that Elves and Humans would have used the tree in some way to their
advantage.

How would they turn such a tree to the advantage of one side or another? With one exception (the one in Eastern Territory), millennium trees don't seem interested in affairs farther away than the shade they throw, and the Great Oaks seem to be similar in that way. I suppose that a few people might find favor with a tree in order to acquire gifts for their personal gain. Then again, my understanding is that such trees only give gifts of their own volition, and it's canon that not all millennium trees are equally generous (Tree of Sorrows in Africa isn't because it's just clinging to life, tree in Asgard just doesn't like giving out stuff even though it's the biggest in the Megaverse). It could be that the great oak in Timiro is stingy and wary, being older and more experienced than its Bizantium counterpart. Or it may be too remote to be well-known. Or the people of Gedro may feel protective of it, much like the dwarves of Bizantium do, and don't advertise that there's a big magic tree that gives away cool magic stuff.

Most of the gifts of such trees are fairly redundant with many conventional magic items available from alchemist shops. There doesn't seem to be a critical shortage of those around Timiro, and they're much closer and more accessible for the vast majority of people than a backwater place in the wilderness like Gedro.

In light of the newer material in Bizantium, this seems like a prime candidate for a light retcon.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Hmm, definitely a decision for the GM to make. Glade and Stonebrook are isolated communities far away
advantage.

How would they turn such a tree to the advantage of one side or another? With one exception (the one in Eastern Territory), millennium trees don't seem interested in affairs farther away than the shade they throw, and the Great Oaks seem to be similar in that way. I suppose that a few people might find favor with a tree in order to acquire gifts for their personal gain. Then again, my understanding is that such trees only give gifts of their own volition, and it's canon that not all millennium trees are equally generous (Tree of Sorrows in Africa isn't because it's just clinging to life, tree in Asgard just doesn't like giving out stuff even though it's the biggest in the Megaverse). It could be that the great oak in Timiro is stingy and wary, being older and more experienced than its Bizantium counterpart. Or it may be too remote to be well-known. Or the people of Gedro may feel protective of it, much like the dwarves of Bizantium do, and don't advertise that there's a big magic tree that gives away cool magic stuff.

Most of the gifts of such trees are fairly redundant with many conventional magic items available from alchemist shops. There doesn't seem to be a critical shortage of those around Timiro, and they're much closer and more accessible for the vast majority of people than a backwater place in the wilderness like Gedro.

In light of the newer material in Bizantium, this seems like a prime candidate for a light retcon.

If the tree is a source of magic items then it is a major strategic asset. Regardless of how generous it is if nothing else any kingdom would want to ensure that their rivals do not have access to its gifts and that any gifts that do show up are theirs.
Especially if it is producing items superior to the general Alchemy gear... or things that have abilities unavailable via Alchemy.

Thus, I would say the tree would either need to be Secret, Well Defended... or not be a source of magic items. It could just be a vast oak tree that is holy shrine for druids, maybe with a resident Dryad. Not every place needs its own Millennium Tree (off brand or not)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

It could also just be a rather large example of a regular oak, notable merely for its location within the town center, and likely various traditions in the town taking advantage of it being there.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

glitterboy2098 wrote:It could also just be a rather large example of a regular oak, notable merely for its location within the town center, and likely various traditions in the town taking advantage of it being there.

Quite so. My general approach is to err on the side of making things more interesting, but sometimes a bit tree is just a big tree.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

It's growing on the carcass of a dead dragon, if you dig underneath it you will find a fortune in dragonbone. ;)
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Some old oaks are just amazing trees worth celebrating.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Oak
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Hotrod wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:It could also just be a rather large example of a regular oak, notable merely for its location within the town center, and likely various traditions in the town taking advantage of it being there.

Quite so. My general approach is to err on the side of making things more interesting, but sometimes a bit tree is just a big tree.

plenty of ways to make a regular tree interesting without resorting to magic.
perhaps it has symbolic importance to the people of the area
perhaps it had significance to the local history or local heroes
perhaps it has been a landmark used for cultural/political gatherings for many generations
or perhaps it is one of the last of the trees that stood on the town site before the town existed, and is a symbol of the town.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

There is also the option of having the tree possessed by an ancient spirit/mage/God. While the being is no longer truly alive, it can have a noticeable influence on the surrounding climate, and may guide special people of the town with dreams.
Alternately, said being was not so nice and executed before linking to the tree and now subtly works against the town with slightly poorer weather, nightmares, attracting harmful vermin, babies with colic etc.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

For reference...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Oak_(Austin,_Texas)
Which is "just a big oak tree"...
...and is a major historic marker, sacred site, and widely considered a living piece of Texas.
Not to shabby.
I could easily see something similar in Palladium... with just as much care, love and respect.
(interesting idea... germinated acorns might be popular. If I wanted to do something neat, I would have the marriage customs of Timiro involve planting an acorn from the Great Oak by the couple.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

All great ideas. Potent symbols in Palladium Fantasy tend to have some supernatural aspect to them in canon, but there's certainly plenty of precedent for a community like Gedro to revere a tree for its own natural sake.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

The tree could also have significance strictly because of who planted it. Town founder, renowned druid, hero, Dragon etc.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”