Board index » SDC Worlds » Palladium Fantasy RPG®

Post subject: Lopan
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:44 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775
Wow I was hoping Kevin would keep the lid on this a little while longer. Now I feel the pressure
:oops: . Can't say anything or hint anything folks. But I'm having more fun developing this
kingdom then I did Bizantium. She is still a work in progress. But I have a timetable on when I
want to get it done by. Rest assured folks Palladium Fantasy is alive and well.

Post subject: Re: Lopan
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:15 am

Champion

*Cracks whip* What are you doing wasting your time on the forums! Get back to work!

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Champion

Reagren Wright wrote:
Wow I was hoping Kevin would keep the lid on this a little while longer.

Greetings and Salutations. I'll say I suspected this project a while ago (since about the POH2015). No one told me directly, but I heard enough that I put the pieces together.

Reagren Wright wrote:
But I'm having more fun developing this
kingdom then I did Bizantium. She is still a work in progress. But I have a timetable on when I

If you need any help tracking down references, let me know. I'll help the best that I can. Though the one who probably knows the Lopan references best is Dark Elf. Though since my initial suspicions were roused, I've been very curious to see/hear his reaction on this news (since he'd been working on a Phi-Lopan manuscript as well).

Have good fun and the best of luck. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775
Prysus wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:
Wow I was hoping Kevin would keep the lid on this a little while longer.

Greetings and Salutations. I'll say I suspected this project a while ago (since about the POH2015). No one told me directly, but I heard enough that I put the pieces together.

Reagren Wright wrote:
But I'm having more fun developing this

If you need any help tracking down references, let me know. I'll help the best that I can. Though the one who probably knows the Lopan references best is Dark Elf. Though since my initial suspicions were roused, I've been very curious to see/hear his reaction on this news (since he'd been working on a Phi-Lopan manuscript as well).

Have good fun and the best of luck. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

About that time (POH2015) I was contemplating an entirely different project, which had nothing
to do with Lopan (or Phi). After the Open House, me and friend started brainstorming ideas
together. It wasn't until mid-June I decided to go ahead and commit myself to it. Didn't tell
Kevin until Gen Con 2015.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:40 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus
Palladium Fantasy is only alive and well if after you finish your work on the book Kevin gets his self in gear and gets it to the printer.

The last book was Bizantium and was a good read, but it was only one book after so many years of waiting and drooling for it to make an appearance.

I am hoping Lopan is soon as my friend has used Lopan as his world setting for years.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:35 am

Wanderer

WOOOT ya And i just started getting things ready for a new game , it will probably be up and going before it comes out . So i better start planing on moving the gang in that direction lol. Very kool man very kool.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Hero

Well, as exciting as a Lopan source book would be, I'd prefer a Jack Burton book first.

-Vek
"Good luck with that reference, folks. Don't Google it!"

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:24 am

Hero

Veknironth wrote:
Well, as exciting as a Lopan source book would be, I'd prefer a Jack Burton book first.

-Vek
"Good luck with that reference, folks. Don't Google it!"

I don't need to google it. I know the reference. And... I remember why I always thought of you as awesome.

But, this thread just shows the problem.. Kev putting info out there, getting people excited... and, the author is still working on the manuscript.

This isn't against the author- I'm sure Reagan will do a great job, and the book will be wonderful. When it gets out. Historically, the problems haven't been the authors timelines.. it's been Kevin's "editing" timeline...

So, I'm sorry Reagan, but, I'm not excited. Once it's off to the printer, THEN I may allow myself to get excited.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:35 am

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
Janus wrote:
Palladium Fantasy is only alive and well if after you finish your work on the book Kevin gets his self in gear and gets it to the printer.

The last book was Bizantium and was a good read, but it was only one book after so many years of waiting and drooling for it to make an appearance.

I am hoping Lopan is soon as my friend has used Lopan as his world setting for years.
yeah but you can bet my Lopan and Regrens won't be any where near similar to one another.

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.
Hmmm.

I am happy about every PFRPG book and it sure is time for the next one, hopefully several!

I thought Land of the Damned III would be your next book, Glenn - it really is missing and I think the book is an ideal fit for you. I really liked Byzantium and that kind of needs a complete north. Besides, I soooo want to know what is there in the west.

To be frank, though, I would have preferred Dark Elf to get a shot at Lopan and/or Phi. His Lopan adventure (and other writings) rocks and he is a gifted and passionate writer.

That said, I want to see all niches filled. There will be the glorious day when the sun will dawn on the Old Kingdom, too!

ImageImage
left: horror art (by Brandon C. Clark); right: "Gents"(by Mike Mumah!)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Hendrik wrote:
Hmmm.

I am happy about every PFRPG book and it sure is time for the next one, hopefully several!

I thought Land of the Damned III would be your next book, Glenn - it really is missing and I think the book is an ideal fit for you. I really liked Byzantium and that kind of needs a complete north. Besides, I soooo want to know what is there in the west.

To be frank, though, I would have preferred Dark Elf to get a shot at Lopan and/or Phi. His Lopan adventure (and other writings) rocks and he is a gifted and passionate writer.

That said, I want to see all niches filled. There will be the glorious day when the sun will dawn on the Old Kingdom, too!

Thanks for the love Hendrick. Unfortunately, I must say LoD3 is a Kevin project. I did submit
some ideas to Kevin about parts of the Bleakness, so we will see if he uses any of them.
However, those who played in my 2015 Open House game, you may notice that the map
Palladium sells of the LoD is an improved version of the map Will (Hot Rod) made for me for
that adventure. Kevin and I have some great ideas brewing for PF so we will see what
happens.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 am

Champion

Reagren Wright wrote:
Hendrik wrote:
Hmmm.

Thanks for the love Hendrick. Unfortunately, I must say LoD3 is a Kevin project. I did submit
some ideas to Kevin about parts of the Bleakness, so we will see if he uses any of them.
However, those who played in my 2015 Open House game, you may notice that the map
Palladium sells of the LoD is an improved version of the map Will (Hot Rod) made for me for
that adventure. Kevin and I have some great ideas brewing for PF so we will see what
happens.

That was a fun map to make. I should clarify, however, that the Land of the Damned map prints are not being sold; I donated those to include in the Christmas surprise packages. If there's enough demand, Palladium might offer some of them as prints, but they aren't available for purchase in the store.

You can find digital versions of the maps on my art page below, though they're not optimized for printing.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:52 pm

Kevin has recently updated the list of Palladium books, so I figured I better let
everyone in on what's happening on Lopan. I'm still working on it. Between 2/3 and
3/4 the way done. Last year my initial target date was April 2016 to have it in Kevin's
hands, but promotion to full time and some housing issues have put a slight delay in
that. Realisticly it might be around May, hopefully not June. With the kid going away
for a week during Spring Break visiting different grandparents, that should give me lots
of QUIET and undisturbed writing time. The ground work for some great stuff is laid
out.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 pm

Explorer

Comment: "Marines We are Leaving...maybe we should Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
2 Years Later......

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 am

Lopan manuscript has been completed and in the hands of Palladium for a while. Phi manuscript is
completed but not submitted as any changes that occurs in Gardens of the Gods or Lopan will
affect the completed work. So Phi cannot be submitted until those two books are completed and in
on the shelf. Rest assured. All good things happen to those who wait.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Knight

Glad to hear an update RW.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Champion

Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Reagren Wright wrote:
Lopan manuscript has been completed and in the hands of Palladium for a while. Phi manuscript is
completed but not submitted as any changes that occurs in Gardens of the Gods or Lopan will
affect the completed work. So Phi cannot be submitted until those two books are completed and in
on the shelf. Rest assured. All good things happen to those who wait.

Really looking forward to this book!

Now Playing Heroes Unlimited as a Granny! Heroes of the Century
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Champion

Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Truly

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Explorer

Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.
While Lopan itself does not really interest me, the thought of a new PF book definitely does. If it ever gets published, I expect it to be a good book considering the source/author :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 am

Sir Dellis wrote:
While Lopan itself does not really interest me, the thought of a new PF book definitely does. If it ever gets published, I expect it to be a good book considering the source/author :)

Thank you.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Palladin

Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...
I look forward to a. Book without a ton of. Sentence fragments, which. Palladium has been putting out a lot of lately.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 am

Champion

Vrykolas2k wrote:
I look forward to a. Book without a ton of. Sentence fragments, which. Palladium has been putting out a lot of lately.

To be fair, Palladium has done that a lot over the years, to the point where it's more of their "conversational style" writing than a grammar error, per se. As long as it's done consistently and intentionally, I can give it a pass. If anything, sentence fragments have become rather stylish lately.

Text messaging and IM have pushed this change. I recently learned, for example, that when I use punctuation, even proper punctuation, in a text message, many younger recipients interpret that as frustration, impatience, and even anger directed at them personally.

This can be dialed up for emphasis. Some authors use them after individual words in order to give. Words. More. Emphasis. Or. Imply. Anger.

Some go even further and give such fragments their. Own.

Paragraph.

In Palladium's case, most of the sentence fragments tend to be in the form of prepositional phrases. Like this one. As a reader, I interpret this punctuation as supplemental phrasing. The incomplete sentence generally continues a thought from what came before, but the thought is meant to be distinctive enough that it's given its own sentence, even though it lacks a subject and predicate structure.

The English teacher's son inside me cringes a little when I read this, but I'm assuaged by the reality that compelling writing does not require good grammar and the complementary fact that most people don't care about it.

Only the few people like us.

When I start seeing abominations like "he should of went" in published print, then I will be bothered.

A.

Lot.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:24 pm

Palladin

Hotrod wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

To be fair, Palladium has done that a lot over the years, to the point where it's more of their "conversational style" writing than a grammar error, per se. As long as it's done consistently and intentionally, I can give it a pass. If anything, sentence fragments have become rather stylish lately.

Text messaging and IM have pushed this change. I recently learned, for example, that when I use punctuation, even proper punctuation, in a text message, many younger recipients interpret that as frustration, impatience, and even anger directed at them personally.

This can be dialed up for emphasis. Some authors use them after individual words in order to give. Words. More. Emphasis. Or. Imply. Anger.

Paragraph.

In Palladium's case, most of the sentence fragments tend to be in the form of prepositional phrases. Like this one. As a reader, I interpret this punctuation as supplemental phrasing. The incomplete sentence generally continues a thought from what came before, but the thought is meant to be distinctive enough that it's given its own sentence, even though it lacks a subject and predicate structure.

The English teacher's son inside me cringes a little when I read this, but I'm assuaged by the reality that compelling writing does not require good grammar and the complementary fact that most people don't care about it.

When I start seeing abominations like "he should of went" in published print, then I will be bothered.

A.

Lot.

I view it as just another sign of society becoming more degraded and slothful.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 pm

It happens. Between my own BA in English, 6 years of being a Writing Center Tutor, and a shelf full
of Grammar and English books, I still have a habit of using writing fragments, run ons, etc. I can
hear Doctor (Ph.D) Scholban lecturing me in my ear and seeing his red ink marks all over anything
I write while I'm editing it. And just when I think the work is done someone reveals I missed stuff,
like a fine bottle of campaign, she bought a pair of brand new boats for her feet, the ME determined
the victim was killed by a blade 3 meters in length (9.8 ft). So if you want something perfect hire a
professional copy editor or just open up a book made by the big boys you'll see 18 or more authors,
a creative director, managing editor, five editors, editorial assistant, editorial intern, and etc.
Bizantium had three editors and a proofreader, and yet there are errors and inconsistencies
still. You can therefore either enjoy the work as it is or be nick picky about it. Don't be like me, and
absorb yourself in everything wrong with it. I went through the whole book and found as many
errors as I can with the hope of maybe a second printing being able to fix them. I've learned to live
them, and all I can do is try to do better next time, meaning Lopan and Phi.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I think they just need to hire a competent proof reader. I've been reading through Balgor Wastelands for my campaign. There are a few pages where most of the sentences start with lower case letters. Errors that blatant in a published book are unacceptable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Champion

Whiskeyjack wrote:
I think they just need to hire a competent proof reader. I've been reading through Balgor Wastelands for my campaign. There are a few pages where most of the sentences start with lower case letters. Errors that blatant in a published book are unacceptable.

and stop copy pasting errors too.

What is your favourite error.

Mine is from first ed where the phantom (or) footman had a strength of 221.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:34 am

Champion

Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
kiralon wrote:
Whiskeyjack wrote:

and stop copy pasting errors too.

What is your favourite error.

Mine is from first ed where the phantom (or) footman had a strength of 221.

Sea of Despare is my favorite error.

Now Playing Heroes Unlimited as a Granny! Heroes of the Century
Image Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Champion

Vrykolas2k wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Paragraph.

A.

Lot.

I see it as a function of shorter attention spans and modern public communications centered around the broadest audience possible. During the Age of Reason, most public communications emphasized the use of precise language over brevity. For example, in his inaugural address, George Washington said:
Quote:
Such being the impressions under which I have, in obedience to the public summons, repaired to the present station; it would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official Act, my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the Universe, who presides in the Councils of Nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that his benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the People of the United States, a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes: and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success, the functions allotted to his charge.

Modern presidents simply say:
Quote:
God Bless America.

I'm ambivalent about this kind of development. The practical part of me prefers to keep things short and sweet and save time, and yet, we lose something with the contraction of language and the compromise of its structure. To Washington, invoking God 's blessing wasn't something thrown in with a catch phrase at the end of a speech; on the contrary, this was a central idea upon which he meditated regularly, such that Washington explored both why and how the Almighty's blessing was so critical. Washington's Inaugural Address communicates a depth of humility and reverence for both God and country that I've neither read nor heard in modern communications. It also invites the reader to share Washington's depth of thinking.

At the same time, Washington's broad vocabulary would be totally unsuitable for a speech to modern audiences who don't hold graduate degrees, and his phrasing is lengthy, needlessly complicated and, in places, awkward. If given today, many news outlets and political pundits would decry this kind of language as intellectually elitist (which the Founding Fathers were) and snobbish (which the Founding Fathers were not). I've encountered that kind of reaction in IM and text conversations, and when my "correct" use of language puts the reader off, it fails its primary purpose: to communicate ideas.

Ultimately, Palladium needs to publish books that its fans enjoy reading and using in their games. Better copyediting might help satisfy the grammar Nazi inside me, but as my favorite professor used to tell me, "Perfection is the enemy of good enough." Kevin has to make judgment calls on what constitutes good enough, balancing the importance of reducing mistakes with the business expenses of hiring a copyeditor and slowing production down. That's a hard line to walk, and I don't envy the calls he has to make.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Comment: "Sometimes, I get paid in Pounds Sterling."
So... is this book coming out soon, or what?

Thundercloud Galaxy has a flock of ducks in it that can slag a Glitterboy in one melee.

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Palladin

Hotrod wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Vrykolas2k wrote:

Paragraph.

A.

Lot.

I see it as a function of shorter attention spans and modern public communications centered around the broadest audience possible. During the Age of Reason, most public communications emphasized the use of precise language over brevity. For example, in his inaugural address, George Washington said:
Quote:
Such being the impressions under which I have, in obedience to the public summons, repaired to the present station; it would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official Act, my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the Universe, who presides in the Councils of Nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that his benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the People of the United States, a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes: and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success, the functions allotted to his charge.

Modern presidents simply say:
Quote:
God Bless America.

I'm ambivalent about this kind of development. The practical part of me prefers to keep things short and sweet and save time, and yet, we lose something with the contraction of language and the compromise of its structure. To Washington, invoking God 's blessing wasn't something thrown in with a catch phrase at the end of a speech; on the contrary, this was a central idea upon which he meditated regularly, such that Washington explored both why and how the Almighty's blessing was so critical. Washington's Inaugural Address communicates a depth of humility and reverence for both God and country that I've neither read nor heard in modern communications. It also invites the reader to share Washington's depth of thinking.

At the same time, Washington's broad vocabulary would be totally unsuitable for a speech to modern audiences who don't hold graduate degrees, and his phrasing is lengthy, needlessly complicated and, in places, awkward. If given today, many news outlets and political pundits would decry this kind of language as intellectually elitist (which the Founding Fathers were) and snobbish (which the Founding Fathers were not). I've encountered that kind of reaction in IM and text conversations, and when my "correct" use of language puts the reader off, it fails its primary purpose: to communicate ideas.

Ultimately, Palladium needs to publish books that its fans enjoy reading and using in their games. Better copyediting might help satisfy the grammar Nazi inside me, but as my favorite professor used to tell me, "Perfection is the enemy of good enough." Kevin has to make judgment calls on what constitutes good enough, balancing the importance of reducing mistakes with the business expenses of hiring a copyeditor and slowing production down. That's a hard line to walk, and I don't envy the calls he has to make.

Like I said, degraded and slothful.
:-P

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Champion

Choose Your Language
* Chinese Traditional
* Chinese Simplified
* English Traditional
* English Simplified (American)
:lol: :wink: