Board index » SDC Worlds » Palladium Fantasy RPG®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:26 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Ladies and Gents, I've been commissioned by Glistam to give the Eastern Territory my full map treatment. He actually contacted me over a month ago, and I'm just now getting started on this project due to another project getting in the way, namely research and writing my dissertation. I should be coming to something of a lull here in a week or so, at which point I plan on getting going on my next map. As usual, I'll be posting progress image links as I go.




_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


Last edited by Hotrod on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:02 am, edited 6 times in total.

          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:06 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
Wow. That is awesome to hear. Can't wait to sere how awesome it turns out Hotrod!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:38 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 1484
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Looking forward too this one as well


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
  

User avatar
Rifter® Contributer

Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:04 am
Posts: 3762
Location: UK
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"
Ive done a CC3 of the eastern territory mate if u want it - I think youve got my email right?

_________________
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Plymouth, CT
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
I look forward to this!

_________________
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:04 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Glistam wrote:
I look forward to this!

I would hope so, since you are paying for it!!!
Hotrod, excited about this- have you started working on getting all the maps into the next Fantasy book, Garden of the Gods??

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:05 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
The Dark Elf wrote:
Ive done a CC3 of the eastern territory mate if u want it - I think youve got my email right?

I can speak to the CC3 being a good reference!!

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:01 am
Posts: 3102
Location: LaPorte, In USA
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775
zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:
Ive done a CC3 of the eastern territory mate if u want it - I think youve got my email right?

I can speak to the CC3 being a good reference!!


Same here, unfortunately for me after I bought it I discovered I'm way to unsavy with
the programing to make it work. :o . Even the tutorials are not helpful. I need
a CC3 computer class like the one I took way back in 1992 to learn how Windows
1.0 works.

As for the Easten Territory map :D . Definitely looking forward to it. I hereby declare that Will is Palladium Fantasy's offical cartographer.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:30 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 1484
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Reagren Wright wrote:
I hereby declare that Will is Palladium Fantasy's offical cartographer.

Motion seconded


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:33 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:50 pm
Posts: 111
kiralon wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:
I hereby declare that Will is Palladium Fantasy's offical cartographer.

Motion seconded

Motion thirded


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:20 pm
  

Knight

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 4199
Location: Québec
What number of Kingdoms in the Eastern Territory?

Is ther Room for Original Kingdoms?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 pm
  

User avatar
Wanderer

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:17 am
Posts: 75
Location: Roscommon, MI
Can't wait to see this. Got the map pack in my grab bag. Its fantastic.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Ok, so there's when I thought my schedule would subside, and there's when my schedule actually subsides. Between teaching and PhD research, my part-time jobs, and a lot of parenting/husbanding at home, I've been swamped. No more excuses, though. I'm getting cracking on this thing this week.

Right now, I'm fiddling around with the scope of the map. Here is my tentative scope. I'm setting the dimensions to be around 8.5x11 inches, with the longer dimensions being oriented on the north-south axis.

This scope is that it includes everything from the Tegyn Peninsula to Y-Oda and Zy, across the northern limits of the Disputed Lands and the settled parts of the Inland Sea coast. It also includes the entire Timiro Kingdom, about half of the Old Kingdom, and a good chunk of the Wolfen Empire. It gives me some ocean space to play with for the title, compass rose, scale, and legend.

I'll be scaling this image to print at 300 dpi, which is what I usually do for these maps. At this point, I don't see a need to make an expanded frame like I did in my Great Northern Wilderness map, but I could certainly do so later if I decide that I want more space to play with. I hope to have a rough hack at the land sculpt put together by next weekend.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Update: Here is an in-progress shot just before I started the land sculpt. I've imported, scaled, and lined up my other Palladium Fantasy maps to ensure the best possible agreement between them. My previous efforts that take up space on this map are the Great Northern Wilderness map, the Inland Sea Map (as yet unpublished), and my Timiro map.

You can see how it measures up to my global vector map here. In general, there's decent agreement between them. The only exception is the Old Kingdom River in the vicinity of Timiro, where I had to compromise between the original canon Timiro map and other canon maps.

I'm sculpting the land in now. This includes:
-Mountains, including the Shattered Mountains, the Tegyn Peninsula mountains, and probably a redux of the Timiro Mountains. I'm re-doing Timiro's to keep the style consistent. I used an alternate, erosion-based technique on my Timiro map. Although it looks good, it doesn't give me as much control as I like, so I'll be using my normal trick for this map.
-River Valleys. The Old Kingdom River's valley will be especially tough, as that waterway follows a very unnatural route.
-Hills, plains, et cetera.
-Blending in my previous efforts so that it looks more like a single image and less like a collage.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Plymouth, CT
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
I'm definitely looking forward to this!

_________________
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 1484
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
Me too, I just wish Palladium Games would get hotrod to make a highly detailed world map with all his current work rolled into one.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:28 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
kiralon wrote:
Me too, I just wish Palladium Games would get hotrod to make a highly detailed world map with all his current work rolled into one.

That would be beyond awesome. They could even publish a Palladium atlas, with the full world map in the centre and regional maps through the rest.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Whiskeyjack wrote:
kiralon wrote:
Me too, I just wish Palladium Games would get hotrod to make a highly detailed world map with all his current work rolled into one.

That would be beyond awesome. They could even publish a Palladium atlas, with the full world map in the centre and regional maps through the rest.


Hey, I appreciate the kind words. I've occasionally pondered pitching something like an art book, except with maps, to Kevin. There are a couple of challenges to doing this:

First off, I'd need to effectively double the work I've done so far. At this point, I've mapped the Land of the Damned, Bizantium/Kiridin, the Great Northern Wilderness/Hinterlands, the Inland Sea (still in progress), Timiro, The Land of South Winds (bare geography only), and the Valley at the Top of the World. The regions I haven't touched at all yet are the Floenry Isles, the Yin-Sloth Jungles, the Baalgor Wastelands, Nimro, the Old Kingdom, and the Western Empire. Throwing a combined world map on top of that would make for a prodigious amount of work. It's doable, but I'd have to put some serious time into it.

Second, even once I finished all those maps, we'd have about 14 maps total. The shortest art book that Kevin has published is 96 pages. If we print 3 versions (bare geography, natural geography labels, and the full political marked-up versions), that amounts to 42 pages. With the front matter and back pages set aside for introductions and conclusions, that means that I'd have to fill another 50ish pages with something compelling to the intended customer. I've had some thoughts on what I could put in, and I don't particularly like any of them:
-Descriptive text about the regions might be nice, but they'd be redundant with published material.
-Flavor text about the regions presented in-character from the perspective of a mystical cartographer could be fun, but flavor text seems to be very hit-and-miss with fans, and filling half a book with it seems excessive and unwise.
-My personal comments on each map or on the map-making process could be helpful for people who want to get into map-making, and I could maybe make and insert some tutorials. However, very few fans will have any interest in me or my methods, and an atlas should be a gaming resource, not an outlet for my vanity.
-Other supporting art specific to the region might add additional utility and details, but what to do? Flags of the nations? Detailed faction heraldry? Spruced-up Dungeon maps specific to the region? This might be the most thematically consistent approach, but it would likely require the most work.
NPC Generators could be useful tools for a GM. I've madethreeso far for Rifts O.C.C.'s. I could do the same for some Fantasy O.C.C.'s as well. The problem with these is that they don't have much to do with maps, and there wouldn't be much point to printing them on color paper.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
The other option would be to include all the city maps after each regional map. This does bring up the next problem that large areas are still unwritten, or lacking in detail (Wolfen Empire).


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:09 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Whiskeyjack wrote:
The other option would be to include all the city maps after each regional map. This does bring up the next problem that large areas are still unwritten, or lacking in detail (Wolfen Empire).


Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree, city maps would be pretty awesome. However, doing city maps properly can be expected to take more work than a regional map, since they tend to involve hundreds of individual buildings and many types of underlying surface/terrain types. Here's an example of a city map done well. There's also the problem of packing a lot of information into a relatively small space; a city map might be better suited to something like a poster. Anyway, it's not impossible, but it would likely mean more work for fewer pages, and as you say, many aren't well defined. I might try taking a crack at one just to try it out sometime.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
That map you linked to was pretty awesome. That would definitely be a lot of work. But Palladium should seriously look at commissioning something like that. I'd happily drop $30-40 for an atlas that covers the world and all major cities. I'm sure I'm not the only one.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Whiskeyjack wrote:
That map you linked to was pretty awesome. That would definitely be a lot of work. But Palladium should seriously look at commissioning something like that. I'd happily drop $30-40 for an atlas that covers the world and all major cities. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I will again try to push on that. So far the maps, through Hotrod's generosity, have been available as part of the Surprise packages at Christmastime.

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:30 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
zyanitevp wrote:
Whiskeyjack wrote:
That map you linked to was pretty awesome. That would definitely be a lot of work. But Palladium should seriously look at commissioning something like that. I'd happily drop $30-40 for an atlas that covers the world and all major cities. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I will again try to push on that. So far the maps, through Hotrod's generosity, have been available as part of the Surprise packages at Christmastime.


Palladium's printer does a great and professional job with my maps, but in a pinch, you can also simply copy the maps you like from my gallery linked below and print them yourself. If you do so, I recommend you get them printed on photopaper and a nice color printer; they'll look very muddy on normal paper. I've been trying to find a good print shop in my area; FedEx failed me when I went to them back in late November, and kept messing up the edges, which is why there were no autographed maps in this year's Surprise Packages.

In any case, I appreciate the support and enthusiasm. I would love to take a crack at doing a proper city map for Palladium sometime, though doing it properly is a bit daunting to me. That map that I linked had ~5,000 individually-placed buildings, making it a city with a population of ~25000, which was the population of London in the high middle ages (late 1300s). The biggest cities in Fantasy have over a million people in them, which isn't practical to map at an individual-building kind of scale; even huge buildings would be too small for a city map of that size printed on anything smaller than a very large poster.

As an example of what a city with a population of a little over 1 million looks like, consider this overhead picture of Omaha, Nebraska, population 1 million.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:29 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Plymouth, CT
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Hoping all is well!

_________________
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:48 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Glistam wrote:
Hoping all is well!


It's ok. Other matters have consumed my time and attention lately. Dissertation research in particular has been sucking up my time. I've had this map project open in the background for a month now, and I've barely touched it. I'm spending my Saturday doing neutron simulations and spectral unfolding. Creative-wise, all I've made in the last two months was a video for my students explaining just how absurd they are when they say that we could blow up our planet, and a 10-minute slapdash satirical entry for a book cover design competition.

tl;dr whaa. I've been dropping the ball on this and I need to get back on it.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
I emerged from slackerhood today for a couple of hours, and got some more sculpting done. I've still got a ways to go blending the different parts together, smoothing out some areas, and just generally sculpting things so that coastal areas are lower, but it's starting to look like an actual map now.

Here's the current draft.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:07 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:34 pm
Posts: 389
Hotrod wrote:
Whiskeyjack wrote:
The other option would be to include all the city maps after each regional map. This does bring up the next problem that large areas are still unwritten, or lacking in detail (Wolfen Empire).


Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree, city maps would be pretty awesome. However, doing city maps properly can be expected to take more work than a regional map, since they tend to involve hundreds of individual buildings and many types of underlying surface/terrain types. Here's an example of a city map done well. There's also the problem of packing a lot of information into a relatively small space; a city map might be better suited to something like a poster. Anyway, it's not impossible, but it would likely mean more work for fewer pages, and as you say, many aren't well defined. I might try taking a crack at one just to try it out sometime.


Yeah, city maps can take a long, long, long time. Most of the time, I don't finish them and I move on to another project.

_________________
My enemies ride fast, knowing not, that ride is their last

Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:23 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:48 pm
Posts: 2302
Location: Boise, ID (US)
Hotrod wrote:
Whiskeyjack wrote:
kiralon wrote:
Me too, I just wish Palladium Games would get hotrod to make a highly detailed world map with all his current work rolled into one.

That would be beyond awesome. They could even publish a Palladium atlas, with the full world map in the centre and regional maps through the rest.


Hey, I appreciate the kind words. I've occasionally pondered pitching something like an art book, except with maps, to Kevin. There are a couple of challenges to doing this:

First off, I'd need to effectively double the work I've done so far. At this point, I've mapped the Land of the Damned, Bizantium/Kiridin, the Great Northern Wilderness/Hinterlands, the Inland Sea (still in progress), Timiro, The Land of South Winds (bare geography only), and the Valley at the Top of the World. The regions I haven't touched at all yet are the Floenry Isles, the Yin-Sloth Jungles, the Baalgor Wastelands, Nimro, the Old Kingdom, and the Western Empire. Throwing a combined world map on top of that would make for a prodigious amount of work. It's doable, but I'd have to put some serious time into it.

Second, even once I finished all those maps, we'd have about 14 maps total. The shortest art book that Kevin has published is 96 pages. If we print 3 versions (bare geography, natural geography labels, and the full political marked-up versions), that amounts to 42 pages. With the front matter and back pages set aside for introductions and conclusions, that means that I'd have to fill another 50ish pages with something compelling to the intended customer. I've had some thoughts on what I could put in, and I don't particularly like any of them:
-Descriptive text about the regions might be nice, but they'd be redundant with published material.
-Flavor text about the regions presented in-character from the perspective of a mystical cartographer could be fun, but flavor text seems to be very hit-and-miss with fans, and filling half a book with it seems excessive and unwise.
-My personal comments on each map or on the map-making process could be helpful for people who want to get into map-making, and I could maybe make and insert some tutorials. However, very few fans will have any interest in me or my methods, and an atlas should be a gaming resource, not an outlet for my vanity.
-Other supporting art specific to the region might add additional utility and details, but what to do? Flags of the nations? Detailed faction heraldry? Spruced-up Dungeon maps specific to the region? This might be the most thematically consistent approach, but it would likely require the most work.
NPC Generators could be useful tools for a GM. I've madethreeso far for Rifts O.C.C.'s. I could do the same for some Fantasy O.C.C.'s as well. The problem with these is that they don't have much to do with maps, and there wouldn't be much point to printing them on color paper.

Greetings and Salutations. So the recent posts in this thread caused me to reread the above. I'm a little surprised I never responded, but I will do so now. Other options include ...

An e-book/PDF atlas. The digital images would hold up well, and the page count isn't as important. Palladium has already done this with the Hades map pack, and this could work similarly (even if larger).

Additional maps could be things like the map of Hades, either using the maps already created for the Hades book or new ones to be done in the same style as the rest of the atlas. While not the Palladium World, it's closely related. Additional connected places could work as well (though none currently come to mind, others might be able to think of some).

If we were to focus on a printed atlas (and I would love to see this), a few other things could help fill the pages. Obviously, adding the major cities would be awesome, but my job isn't to say you should do more work, especially work you'd be hesitant about. Instead, I'd think of adding different art (you wouldn't need to do this yourself, as Palladium has many talented artists). Going with the idea of the in-character flavor text, the cartographer could describe other things as well. This could demonstrate things like hairstyles and outfits. Yes, this is a medieval fantasy, so we're probably not going to have hairstyles the same as modern day, but I'm just referring to things like you would get between medieval Europe, China, and Africa. Different climates, different cultures, and they'd end up with differences. This could be a great way to help visualize some of these things and bring these areas to life in a way Palladium currently doesn't. Pictures of things like very visual O.C.C. for the area (such as the Janissary for the Western Empire, though trademark classes may have to be created to help flesh this out for each nation ... which, of course, could help fill the book as well). Truthfully, I don't think Kevin would really be a fan of this second half. I hate to say it, but I suspect he'd feel it wouldn't sell well enough. I like the idea, but I'm not sure it would be marketable to Palladium. On the other hand, if someone could figure out how to sell this to him, I think it would be great.

Instead of just focusing on the Palladium World, this could be more of a Megaversal Atlas, which would have locations from Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, Phase World, Heroes Unlimited, etc. Yes, I realize Heroes Unlimited is Earth, but it also has a different history with different cities and places that don't exist in our world. Adding up pages from various settings could help fill the book (though it would increase the workload on our favorite cartographer).

Anyways, just wanted to provide a few ideas. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

_________________
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:56 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Hotrod wrote:
I emerged from slackerhood today for a couple of hours, and got some more sculpting done. I've still got a ways to go blending the different parts together, smoothing out some areas, and just generally sculpting things so that coastal areas are lower, but it's starting to look like an actual map now.

Here's the current draft.

Get to work slacker, .....
You know I am kidding- but do need to talk about a future commission once you are done with this one...

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:32 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
I did some more work on this today. Making the Old Kingdom River flow where it's supposed to is giving me fits. I made three separate attempts at revising the land sculpt and running the erosion program, and the upper half of the river is still trying to flow into the eastern ocean instead of joining up with the lower portion that flows into the Great Inland Sea. Persistence will win out in this effort eventually, but it's hard to make a river naturally flow through two mountain ranges and bend away from a nearby coast.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:01 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:01 am
Posts: 3102
Location: LaPorte, In USA
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775
In other words the Old Kingdom River is defying natural phyiscs and going in the wrong
direction?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Reagren Wright wrote:
In other words the Old Kingdom River is defying natural phyiscs and going in the wrong
direction?


That, or there is a very unusual topographical shape to the continent in that area. I actually managed to make the river flow roughly where it's supposed to today. Some issues remain with the upstream part of the river, but I think I can work it out.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 105
Excellent Work on the Maps Hotrod. Just checked out your deviant art page... You absolutely gotten better... And you weren't too shabby to begin with. Nice.

_________________
Image
Map! Products are currently PWYW
My Review of Dead Reign


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:12 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
A few people have contacted me to tell me the links in my posts aren't working. This is due to Photobucket, the website that hosted these in-progress shots. A few weeks ago, they made a no-notice policy change. They now want 400 bucks a year to do what they have been doing for free. It is sort of possible to see what I link, but you have to jump through hoops to do so.

I'm in the process of downloading everything I've ever posted to Photobucket, and I'll be moving to imgur. Because screw Photobucket. Just trying to download my own pictures is showing me how awful, ad-ridden, and slot that website truly is.

I'll update the links on this thread once I've finished moving over.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 2505
Location: On Earth
Hotrod wrote:
Ladies and Gents, I've been commissioned by Glistam to give the Eastern Territory my full map treatment. He actually contacted me over a month ago, and I'm just now getting started on this project due to another project getting in the way, namely research and writing my dissertation. I should be coming to something of a lull here in a week or so, at which point I plan on getting going on my next map. As usual, I'll be posting progress image links as I go.


Good for you...PLEASE INCLUDE THE LOCATION OF THE CITY OF RAF-CHALIN!!! As well as more streams.

_________________
Ankh, udja, seneb.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
pblackcrow wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Ladies and Gents, I've been commissioned by Glistam to give the Eastern Territory my full map treatment. He actually contacted me over a month ago, and I'm just now getting started on this project due to another project getting in the way, namely research and writing my dissertation. I should be coming to something of a lull here in a week or so, at which point I plan on getting going on my next map. As usual, I'll be posting progress image links as I go.


Good for you...PLEASE INCLUDE THE LOCATION OF THE CITY OF RAF-CHALIN!!! As well as more streams.



Raf-Chalin doesn't ring a bell (steer me toward the reference and I'll see what I can do), but I haven't gotten to the city-placing part yet, as I'm still working through the terrain sculpt. I can guarantee there will be more streams and minor rivers than have been included in the canon maps to date.

I've been working on a related project a bit over the last week, some pieces of which I think I may use on this map.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 1484
Comment: Kill it with Fire.
http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewto ... 5&t=139659
page 187 was mentioned


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
kiralon wrote:
http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139659
page 187 was mentioned

Ah, ok, thanks. It's on the radar now.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:55 am
  

User avatar
Wanderer

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Norway
Here is a topic about the City.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149824


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
So I finally got the Old Kingdom River to behave itself, got the erosion program working, and put it all together...

... and it looks terrible. I'm not even going to post the latest draft. Basically, the problem is Timiro. I lost my source files for that map in the great laptop crash of 2016, and in any case, I used a very different method for doing the mountains than I normally do. As a result, the Timiro section of the map is so obviously different from the rest of the map that it stands out like a sore thumb.

Basically, I need to redo all the topography of Timiro from scratch. It's doable, but it's a pain.

Oh well, back to it.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm
Posts: 3476
Location: Plymouth, CT
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Oh man, that sucks!

_________________
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Image Image
HU2 GM Screen | Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Visualizing A.R.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Ouch!

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:12 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:01 am
Posts: 3102
Location: LaPorte, In USA
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775
So if somebody recent you a Timiro map would that help?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
I think I have what I need to re-do things, since I still have the completed image, and I never delete my old emails. Thanks, though.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm
  

User avatar
Wanderer

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Posts: 82
Location: Norway
Keep up the spirit Hotrod. Your maps are great! Really looking forward to a map of Eastern Territory.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Anything any of us can do we will be happy to help

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:06 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Mini update: I've re-done the Old Kingdom Mountains around Timiro. It blends much better with the rest of the map now, but now the rivers from that region aren't matching up to the Timiro map.

I am determined to finish this land sculpt by Halloween. It's close now; I just have to put some time into the detail work.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:06 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 1919
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
I got some more work done on the land sculpt; it's 90-95% done now. Here's the current draft.

This is the 4th time I've put this map together to about this point, but the first time I'm sharing it publicly (I think).

Some of the key features/elements included:
+The Old Kingdom River is following the general course it's supposed to run. It's got some issues with flat basins around the big bend in the river, but I can sort this out with another revision.
+I've re-made the Timiro Kingdom's mountains to make them consistent with the rest of the map.
+I added volcanoes to Y-Oda and Zy.
+Most of the big rivers are going where they're supposed to go.

Remaining issues are relatively easy fixes at this point:
-A few large flat areas remain (these are produced when the erosion program detects a bowl). This makes a few river areas flow in a somewhat unnatural area.
-Some canon rivers are missing or dwarved by some non-canon rivers drawn by the erosion program. I'll revise some of the river basins to correct this.
-Some areas are supposed to be plains or grasslands, but they lack the proper climate shade and should be smoothed out some. I'll work in additional climate colors once the land sculpt is complete, and I'll smooth out these areas for the next, and hopefully final, draft.
-Some rivers won't conform to canon no matter what I do, like the great canal river systems.

Almost there! I hope to have the sculpt complete tomorrow

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:26 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am
Posts: 2165
Location: Sekti-Abtu
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!
Hotrod wrote:
I got some more work done on the land sculpt; it's 90-95% done now. Here's the current draft.

This is the 4th time I've put this map together to about this point, but the first time I'm sharing it publicly (I think).

Some of the key features/elements included:
+The Old Kingdom River is following the general course it's supposed to run. It's got some issues with flat basins around the big bend in the river, but I can sort this out with another revision.
+I've re-made the Timiro Kingdom's mountains to make them consistent with the rest of the map.
+I added volcanoes to Y-Oda and Zy.
+Most of the big rivers are going where they're supposed to go.

Remaining issues are relatively easy fixes at this point:
-A few large flat areas remain (these are produced when the erosion program detects a bowl). This makes a few river areas flow in a somewhat unnatural area.
-Some canon rivers are missing or dwarved by some non-canon rivers drawn by the erosion program. I'll revise some of the river basins to correct this.
-Some areas are supposed to be plains or grasslands, but they lack the proper climate shade and should be smoothed out some. I'll work in additional climate colors once the land sculpt is complete, and I'll smooth out these areas for the next, and hopefully final, draft.
-Some rivers won't conform to canon no matter what I do, like the great canal river systems.

Almost there! I hope to have the sculpt complete tomorrow

Looks amazing!!

_________________
Broadcasting live on twitchtv
OurTwitter Feed
View my game here or even better, watch us live on Twitch!! One of the top 5 favorite games on Obsidian Portal!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm
Posts: 315
Location: Thunder Bay, NW Ontario
That's looking pretty awesome Hotrod. Can't wait to see the final product.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group