Demon vulnerabilities

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Demon vulnerabilities

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

Are demons vulnerable to curses, paralysis, confusion and other debuffs?
Are there any effects that can inhibit their bio-regeneration?
What are the best spells/tactics for fighting them?
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Demon vulnerabilities

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, that depends on the demon. Aquatics suffer double damage from heat and fire, for example. Some of the other demons, like Banshees and Labassu have no physical attacks and are vulnerable to psionics and magic.

As for spells that work against them (I will not call them debuffs, this isn't a video game), I think most everything works against them. They can be put to sleep, they can be blinded, etc. The obvious way to stop their bio-regeneration is the Palladin's Demon Death Blow. The other way is to do so much damage in a short amount of time that the regeneration is moot.

As for what to use against them, the obvious is a weapon or weapons enchanted with Demon Slayer. If you have any of the melee heavy demons any sort of immobilization tactic is useful. The tried and true carpet of adhesion + distance attacks always works, even if it is sort of cheesy. The super cheap Cloud of Slumber is also always an option. One failed save, and the fight is over.

For more specific tactics, if you have paired weapons as a melee fighter and you are against any of the Demons who are melee specific (Ghoul, Nasu, Lassae, Shedim) you just wait for them to attack and go with the parry/attack. Basically, you hit them every time as long as you beat their AR. This is if you can't kill them from distance.

-Vek
"Demons are tough."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The banish demons and devils holy weapon power is cool, no save, just a percentile dice roll and if you roll well every demon, devil and entity in the palladium world are banished (no range, but I use line of sight to the weapon).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

kiralon wrote:The banish demons and devils holy weapon power is cool, no save, just a percentile dice roll and if you roll well every demon, devil and entity in the palladium world are banished (no range, but I use line of sight to the weapon).

The power is written as if the range is Line of Sight. So I would agree with the LOS meaning of the rules. Even thou the range is not specifically set out in the text.

However, I do not agree with the "in the palladium world "in the palladium world " text in your post.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
kiralon wrote:The banish demons and devils holy weapon power is cool, no save, just a percentile dice roll and if you roll well every demon, devil and entity in the palladium world are banished (no range, but I use line of sight to the weapon).

The power is written as if the range is Line of Sight. So I would agree with the LOS meaning of the rules. Even thou the range is not specifically set out in the text.

However, I do not agree with the "in the palladium world "in the palladium world " text in your post.

Well as you noted there isn't any range mentioned, so unlimited range is arguable just like limited range, but for me they have to be able to make out what the item represents, so the better their sight the worse it is for them, and there are few mechanics in the palladium world to see others from out of direct line of sight magically, but I allow the power to effect them if they do, for example, a demon watching someone with a holy weapon through a crystal ball will be effected by the banish if he can make out the holy weapon properly (point of view is within range) and if they are currently in the palladium world.
Blind creatures will be effected at 100ft per lvl, lvl is usually six so range for a blind demon to be banished is 600ft, which is about the range to make it out with LOS. The holy light burns them away. If a creatures vision is twice as good, they can be affected from twice the range.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Basically, if the demon isn't listed as being immune to it, either in their own write-up, in the power, or by reasonable deduction, then they're not immune. For example, I'd probably have a Banshee be immune to having a Wall of Stone dropped on top of them... technically magic, but also mostly a physical attack.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

Thank you, your responses have been very helpful.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

kiralon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Well as you noted there isn't any range mentioned, …snip

I didn't say the range was not communicated. Just that it within the way the text is written, w/o specifically being said.

In other words the writer assumes that he is talking to players that know the PF setting so he does not have to come right out and say that it is LoS.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Well it says hold it up for all to see which implies line of sight, but sort of sounds like the creature to be banished has to see it, so does it effect them if they close their eyes ? Does it work if the person is invisible, Does it work if they are behind an invisible wall of force? Does the darkness spell block it? Does a bigger demon in front of them block it?
The spells it 'basically combines' aren't LOS, they are just range, so if it is supposed to be LOS it should bloody well be spelled out that way, there is enough ambiguity to argue the point either way is what I'm saying.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I think the power couldn't be more clearly stated.
It clearly means that all those creatures the GM rules are affected are banished. :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

eliakon wrote:I think the power couldn't be more clearly stated.
It clearly means that all those creatures the GM rules are affected are banished. :lol:

+10,000 now only if others thought that.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Evil is its own vulnerability.

Just look at the alignments. With the exception of Aberrants, there are none of the values that are genuinely needed to form effective groups, work well together, and build societies. Demons associate and organize through cruelty, betrayal, and manipulation; societies thus built may well conquer and enslave, but they generally don't last long. Demon-run empires and dominions last longer than their mortal equivalents because demons are harder to kill, but the principles that lead to their downfall are a driving force that works against them.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Best tactic is to throw a net on them. Some can turn invisible but you'll still know where they are.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Best tactic is to throw a net on them. Some can turn invisible but you'll still know where they are.

Which may or may not work.
Since invisibility (usually) affects what the subject is wearing and carrying... an object that is wrapped around them like a net or bola is really no different than a cloak, or a shirt, or a belt. It might work on them while they are invisible. But the could just reapply the invisibility and make the net invisible too.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”