Scrolls

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Scrolls

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I was reading over the scrolls section and noticed that on page 247 of the main book it says the Alchemist who makes the spell guarantees it is what it purports to be, or your money back. So, that implies that a Alchemist could make a scroll that says one thing at the top, but is actually something entirely different. What an excellent booby trap!

-Vek
"Don't cross your alchemist."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Scrolls

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Sure; think of the name on a scroll as the file name for an executable. It may say "word.exe", and it may even have the right picture at the top, but once you open it, you're stuck with whatever was actually written there.

-Mark
"Do not open attachments without the benefit of Sixth Sense."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Then you also have those scrolls which have malfunctioning spells on them which are sold on the cheap. The random chance of milk+bread from miscast is worth it though, I would buy all kinds of malfunctioning globe of daylight scrolls.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

While I would not doubt an alchemist could do that…. But it is more likely that a mage not in business of selling magic stuff would be a more likely candidate for mislabeling the spell scrolls that he/she made. Especially if paranoid or absent minded…..or absinthe minded.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Alchemists have a stockpile of potions to get high on and could be older and prone to dementia, or just care less, involved in complex back room summoning rituals...
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:While I would not doubt an alchemist could do that…. But it is more likely that a mage not in business of selling magic stuff would be a more likely candidate for mislabeling the spell scrolls that he/she made. Especially if paranoid or absent minded…..or absinthe minded.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's why Alchemists guarantee their scrolls, so that the customer knows that they are getting the spell they are paying for. Where as those scrolls bought from a local wizard or corrupt wizard's guild could be purposely mislabeled. And probably sold at lower prices.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Axelmania wrote:Then you also have those scrolls which have malfunctioning spells on them which are sold on the cheap. The random chance of milk+bread from miscast is worth it though, I would buy all kinds of malfunctioning globe of daylight scrolls.

Alchemists might be willing to do this, but most would clearly label their unstable scrolls... "I can sell you this, but you have to realize it's an unstable spell... it might not work as advertised, thus the discount."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

and it doesn't just have to apply to scrolls. Lots of fun can be had with unstable magic items.

in the bargain bin is a flaming sword my apprentice made, but there are no guarantees on how well it works.
pc activates it and flames shoot out 30ft and singe the ceiling.

Please don't test the unstable magic items in he sales room sir. We have protected rooms for that, so sir are you interested.
Marcethus
Champion

kiralon wrote:and it doesn't just have to apply to scrolls. Lots of fun can be had with unstable magic items.

in the bargain bin is a flaming sword my apprentice made, but there are no guarantees on how well it works.

Please don't test the unstable magic items in he sales room sir. We have protected rooms for that, so sir are you interested.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Axelmania
Knight

An unstable spell is potentially more valuable than a level one spell so that's why they're great investments if you're tough. I'd probably cast Armor of Ithan before using them in case you get hit by energy. Having a scroll of Mystic Portal ready while being inside a proteciton circle in case it summons a demon is also a good idea.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, just think of how much fun a GM could have with Defective Magic Items.

-Vek
"Alchemist factory outlet."
Marcethus
Champion

Veknironth wrote:Well, just think of how much fun a GM could have with Defective Magic Items.

-Vek
"Alchemist factory outlet."

:twisted: :evil:
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:and it doesn't just have to apply to scrolls. Lots of fun can be had with unstable magic items.

Activate a flame sword??
Sounds like you are thinking Rifts instead of PF.

Yep it was a nice joke. Let not the Facts get in the way of a good story. :D
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Activate a flame sword??
Sounds like you are thinking Rifts instead of PF.

Yep it was a nice joke. Let not the Facts get in the way of a good story. :D

Well the flame sword is a standard magic item and getting one that activates and deactivates isn't that much of a jump.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The standard flame sword (& flame knife) enchantment (PF2MB pages 249-250) is an always on magic weapon.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

And now you know yet another reason why its defective :P
Although though to be fair it does say it is a sword/knife of flame so the idea of being able to turn that flame on/off is perfectly reasonable and since the book doesn't say that it has to be on all the time (just that it comes with a special fire resistant scabbard) it could be done.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Marcethus
Champion

AFAIK isn't the flaming sword/knife just a hilt with flame for the blade hence the special impervious to fire sheath to contain the flame?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Marcethus wrote:AFAIK isn't the flaming sword/knife just a hilt with flame for the blade hence the special impervious to fire sheath to contain the flame?

Basically...
But the idea that you can turn the flame on/off like the popular "energy sword" of fiction doesn't seem far fetched and since many other items can be turned on/off...
Presto, flaming swords become stand ins for the popular energy-sword-that-shall-not-be-named.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Marcethus
Champion

eliakon wrote:
Marcethus wrote:AFAIK isn't the flaming sword/knife just a hilt with flame for the blade hence the special impervious to fire sheath to contain the flame?

Basically...
But the idea that you can turn the flame on/off like the popular "energy sword" of fiction doesn't seem far fetched and since many other items can be turned on/off...
Presto, flaming swords become stand ins for the popular energy-sword-that-shall-not-be-named.

The part I bolded made me :lol: Mainly because I am watching Clone Wars right now.
Axelmania
Knight

eliakon wrote:flaming swords become stand ins for the popular energy-sword-that-shall-not-be-named.

At least until the 'Light Blade' spell in Federation of Magic became a TW weapon in Rifts Ultimate Edition, at which point that became the closest stand-in :)

Marcethus wrote:I am watching Clone Wars right now.

One of these days I need to rewatch that whole show start to finish. I know I have holes, but I must have seen more than half of them.

I'm all caught up on the first 2 seasons of 'Rebels' though (takes place between episodes 3 and 4, compared to CW taking place between 2 and 3). It's REALLY good. It should be illegal to watch Rebels unless you're already a Clone Wars fan though... for reasons which become later apparent.

S2 finale... man... it wrecks you... but then it lifts you up once you find out the detail you missed at the end
Marcethus
Champion

I watched the pilot for rebels when it aired on abc but since I don't have disney xd I canna watch rebels
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:

Basically...

Marcethus, That is how the text reads.

However, Eli is saying that "To Add Flavor" <this small change that really doesn't change the item concept all that much> can be done while still keeping to the spirit of the enchantment/item.
Marcethus
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Basically...

Marcethus, That is how the text reads.

However, Eli is saying that "To Add Flavor" <this small change that really doesn't change the item concept all that much> can be done while still keeping to the spirit of the enchantment/item.

I fully agree that the small modification doesn't take away from the flaming swords basic concept. And All GM's are free to add whatever flavor they want to their magic items. I was just pointing out that the sword's actual text states that it is always on and it's a bladeless hilt that produces a 'blade' of flame, which is why the sheath is protected with impervious to fire.

Besides which I like the conundrum of what happens if someone loses the sheath of the sword. It adds a small bit of -brain flatlined can't recall that particular thought of what I was going to say it adds- :lol:
RavenStarver
Explorer

Unread post by RavenStarver »

eliakon wrote:

Basically...

"Ah ah ah, I see no *****saber. That would be a copyright infringement. I see a psionic Spirit Blade."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Beam Saber would be Gundam. ;)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Axelmania wrote:Then you also have those scrolls which have malfunctioning spells on them which are sold on the cheap. The random chance of milk+bread from miscast is worth it though, I would buy all kinds of malfunctioning globe of daylight scrolls.

Or scrolls of new spells that the alchemist never tried yet because he doesn't know what the end result would be.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

So we have two types of Spell scrolls and other magic items that would be in the bargain bin: Apprentice made, other mages' scrolls, and those bought from loo…..adventurers selling off their lo…finds that the alchemist has yet to (or does not want to) sort through.
Can you think of any other reasons why they's be in the bargain bin?
Marcethus
Champion

Scrolls the alchemist made that he made a mistake on and knows it but still wants to make a quick gold piece on?
Axelmania
Knight

I imagine that scrolls written in less well-known languages wouldn't have a high demand and so the Alchemist might lower the price to get them moving.

On the other hand, a scroll in a rare language could also be more valuable to whoever could use it since it would be unusable by most others.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”