Creating is fun

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Creating is fun

Unread post by Kevin »

Creating is fun. And exciting.

Does that sound trite or silly? I don’t know, but it is certainly true. I think most artists, writers, game designers, moviemakers, and entertainers must feel this way.

After struggling with words most of this week, they are finally rolling out onto my computer screen in coherent clusters and dynamic rhythm. The ideas are hot and the words are smooth. I’m loving what’s hitting the screen because I think my audience will love it too.

And that’s the thing, when you’re in the zone writing – or drawing or creating anything – it feels great. There is an excitement in the air and adrenaline courses through your veins. And when you’re really in the zone, like I am right now (so I’m going to keep this short), you know that this is what you were born to do. It’s awesome. And I wanted to try to share that feeling . . . or at least my thoughts about it.

I’ve been feeling that joy a lot lately. Even when the words were not flowing, the ideas where racing. The problem was, it was ideas for other projects. Still, I had a room full of people excitedly chiming in, saying things like, “Yes, we need to this!” “That’s genuine.” “Oh, here’s another fun idea!” I love brainstorming.

I’ve been getting that tingle of excitement about Robotech® RPG Tactics™ too. As it gets ever closer to completion and hitting store shelves, the excitement mounts. Every time we hold a new game piece in our hand it seems that much more real. There is this rush of emotion that is a combination of joy, pride and wonder. As Robotech fans, we can’t believe this game and these ultra-cool sculpts are coming to life, and that we (with the talented crew of Ninja Division, of course), are responsible for it's existence. How cool is that?!

That realization gives me goose bumps. It always has. Even after 32 years of writing, designing and publishing games, I still get a thrill when a new product comes out. It’s a magical moment. A big part of that magic is knowing you are responsible for creating something other people are going to love and enjoy. There’s nothing like it.

I’m getting that same feeling with every robot, weapon system and page I peel off for Rifts® Northern Gun™ One. It’s great stuff. Every contributor, from Matthew Clements to Chuck Walton, has done a wonderful job. The same is true of Rifts® Northern Gun™ Two, Carl Gleba’s Rifts® Megaverse® in Flames, Irvin Jackson’s UEEF Marine™ Sourcebooks, and several secret projects yet to be revealed, but which have already been turned in as manuscripts or will be soon. A few are still ideas boiling in the back of my mind that are still waiting to be born. And some are ideas nestled in the hands of other Palladium creators.

I love what I do, and I wish there was a way I could share these emotions with you via psionic transmission or magic.

Hmmm, actually, there sort of is . . . it’s placing that finished product in your hands, so I better get back to it. ;)

Game on.
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer and Game Designer

© Copyright August 31, 2013 Palladium Books Inc. All rights reserved.

Rifts®, The Rifter®, RECON®, Splicers®, Palladium Books®, Phase World®, The Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game®, Megaverse®, Nightbane®, The Mechanoids®, The Mechanoid Invasion®, Coalition Wars® and After the Bomb® are Registered Trademarks of Palladium Books Inc. Heroes Unlimited™, RPG Tactics™, Beyond the Supernatural, Northern Gun, Dead Reign, Warpath, Shemarrian Nation, and other published book titles, names, slogans and likenesses are trademarks of Palladium Books Inc., and Kevin Siembieda.

Robotech® and Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® are Registered Trademarks of Harmony Gold USA, Inc.

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”