Gen Con Report Part 5: Making deals

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Unread post by Kevin »

Wheeling and dealing is part of doing business at Gen Con Indy. Gen Con is a place to meet people and put faces to writers, artists and other industry professionals. It is a nice way to get to know the people you work with from a distance and to make new connections with other creators and business people. It is also a vehicle to bounce ideas off industry people, get news and insight about the market, suggest opportunities and maybe even initiate some deals.

This year, I met with some sculptors and miniature manufacturers to discuss the design and release of Robotech® game pieces 2013. What started out as a small idea has quickly turned into something much larger -- like a Robotech® Tactical Role-Playing Game. This project is already starting to take on a life of its own. We want to create something that will wow and delight Robotech® fans and I think we may have found the right creative force to team up with us to make that happen. It is too soon to reveal names or details, as everything is in motion at the moment, but ideas are flying and all parties are very, very excited. I'll be discussing some of them with Tommy Yune next week to get his input. Then it's hammering out a business agreement and getting to actual work on it. I dropped some hints to a number of fans and everyone was excited by our ideas for Robotech®. Of course, I asked them not to say anything yet. I’ll reveal more when the time is right. We've been discussing several design elements since we got back home. Wild fun.

I met with a few other gaming manufacturers and we are looking into some joint ventures or licenses that we think would be fun and profitable for all parties involved. Things that will please our fans and increase Palladium’s market presence. Of course, let’s see if these deals all come together. More on them later as they develop.

On Sunday, Brandon Aten, Matthew Clements and I did another video podcast with the same gents as last year. It should be getting posted sometime soon.

I also met a few new artists interested in working for Palladium Books. I wanted to talk to many of the artists in the convention Art Show, but the Palladium booth was so swamped all the time (A good thing! Not complaining), that I was unable to wander the art show. I think I saw maybe two aisles of the art show and less than of half the Exhibitor’s Hall. That’s okay, Palladium’s art needs are pretty well satisfied and I don’t have much work for new artists at this time. I like to support and keep my terrific cast of current artists busy with work. Of course, things change, and sometimes we need additional artists, so I always keep my eyes open.

We traded product with one of the guys at Fantasy Flight on Sunday, which is always fun, as well as a few other people.

Gen Con was a success on every level. As well as fun. I just wish I could split into two people. One to stay at the booth and one to wander around, meet people and game. We’ve already booked our booth for next year and most of our convention helpers have already committed to coming back next year. Nice. So we’ll see you all August, 2013. ;)

This is my final Gen Con Report. I will, of course, continue to post daily Murmurs from the Megaverse® about what’s going on at Palladium Books, as well as my personal thoughts and observations. Game on.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer, and Game Designer

© Copyright August 26, 2012 Palladium Books Inc. All rights reserved.

Rifts®, The Rifter®, RECON®, Splicers®, Palladium Books®, Phase World®, The Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game®, Megaverse®, Nightbane®, The Mechanoids®, The Mechanoid Invasion®, Coalition Wars® and After the Bomb® are Registered Trademarks of Palladium Books Inc. Heroes Unlimited™, Beyond the Supernatural, Dead Reign, Warpath, Shemarrian Nation, and other published book titles, names, slogans and likenesses are trademarks of Palladium Books Inc., and Kevin Siembieda.

Robotech® and Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® are Registered
Trademarks of Harmony Gold USA, Inc.

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”