Spitting mad

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Spitting mad

Unread post by Kevin »

I'm spitting mad over a stupid, aggravating mistake.

I don’t know how many of you have had a colonoscopy. As medical procedures go, I’m told it is not too bad.

In fact, most people, from patients to doctors and nurses, will tell you that the “worst part is the preparation.” You know, the part where you have to drink 16 ounces of foul tasting fluid – twice – drink a couple gallons of fluids and not eat solid food for 24 hours.

Of course, the real fun part is the stomach cramps and pooping your brains out for hours AND HOURS. That, by the way, means sleep deprivation and feeling a bit weak by morning on top of everything. You lose the better part of two days, and as a diabetic you have to be careful and watch your blood sugar levels too.

So imagine my reaction when, after I have gone through all of the prep and discomfort, 30 minutes before I’m supposed to get the procedure performed, I’m informed the hospital does NOT accept my Medical Insurance. If I want to get the colonoscopy this morning I'll have to pay $2,000 out of my own pocket or I can talk to the doctor and schedule it at a different hospital some weeks in the future.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I'm happy to say that I controlled myself and didn't tear into somebody, but I'm mad as hell. I had made a point to ask both the doctor’s office and the [expletive deleted] hospital personnel last week to make sure they took my insurance. Specifically asked, and was told, “Yes, you are all set. See you Monday, morning.”

Not happy. Don’t know when I’m rescheduling. Lost Sunday to unpleasantness. Lost half of today waiting to find out what was what. There was an hour waiting for the procedure that never happened. An hour or so of confusion. Followed by an hour of seeing if anything could be done to get me in. Followed by travel time, and eating at a restaurant that served lousy food. Followed by an hour and a half nap. Followed by being angry as hell, before trying to work for five hours to get a little bit done.

I get it, mistakes happens, but what angered me most was the hospital supervisor asking me, “Well, did YOU call your insurance provider to make sure the procedure was covered here?” And in a tone that made it sound like this was all my fault. huh???!

No, you B!@#%. I didn’t have the foresight to do YOUR JOB! I made the tragic mistake of a) trusting the doctor’s office to do their job during the MONTH I waited to get the procedure, and b) trusted the hospital to do their job! Especially after I specifically pointed out the type of insurance I have and specifically asked to MAKE SURE THE HOSPITAL TOOK IT to both of them!! Now I have to do the prep everyone hates, all over again, and lose more time a few weeks down the road.

“Yes, Mr. Siembieda, you are all set.” Like Hell. It’s six hours later and I’m still spitting mad. There are much worse things, I know. But now I need to spend more money and lose more precious time. So does Kathy, as the anesthesia requires someone else to drive after the procedure.

I'm feeling deadline pressure, I still don’t know if I have a clean bill of health, I have a million things to do, sales were weak over the weekend and I have concerned friends asking if I’m okay and I have to tell them I don’t know. I’m in a foul mood.

Sorry, needed to vent, and I knew some of you would want to know the results of my colonoscopy that never happened. Thanks for caring. Nothing to report. Will try again. Have a nice evening.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Writer and Game Designer

© Copyright May 21, 2012 Palladium Books Inc. All rights reserved.

Rifts®, The Rifter®, RECON®, Splicers®, Palladium Books®, Phase World®, The Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game®, Megaverse®, Nightbane®, The Mechanoids®, The Mechanoid Invasion®, Coalition Wars® and After the Bomb® are Registered Trademarks of Palladium Books Inc. Heroes Unlimited™, Beyond the Supernatural, Dead Reign, Warpath, Shemarrian Nation, and other published book titles, names, slogans and likenesses are trademarks of Palladium Books Inc., and Kevin Siembieda.

Robotech® and Robotech® The Shadow Chronicles® are Registered Trademarks of Harmony Gold USA, Inc.

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”