House Production Strategy

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

House Production Strategy

Unread post by flatline »

This discussion actually started in the autododge thread, but it definitely deserves it's own topic.

So on page 66 of Splicers, we have the OCC breakdown of Great House of the Barren Marsh. It presents a picture where as much as 66% of the population are combatants. This sort population distribution would be impossible in the real world since that leaves too few to work the fields and run the economy, but this can actually work in Splicers since the population is fed via bio-tech creations (described on p67) and, there is little industry to speak of that needs to be preserved.

However, without knowing the attrition rates of biotics vs warmounts, for instance, we can't tell how the ratio of biotics to warmounts is the result of careful planning vs how much is due to the enhanced survivability of one over the other, so I think it is a mistake to naively assume that that balance shown on p66 is actually the balance desired by the Warlord and his advisors.

This isn't mentioned in Splicers that I'm aware of, but each house must have a finite capacity for building units and each unit must have a cost associated with it even if it's only the time it takes to create it. It's tempting to measure that in Bio-E, but since we have no idea what the base cost for a biotic, host armor, or the various war mounts are, only the enhancement cost, there's no way to do a real analysis of how to "optimally" balance the house production capabilities.

We also don't know the ratio of men vs women in the house, so it's hard to know what kind of population growth is possible.

But I only have the Splicers book, so if any of this is addressed in other published material, there may still be room for meaningful discussion. Heck, even if there's not, we can still speculate. :)

--flatline
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Re: House Production Strategy

Unread post by Premier »

flatline wrote:This discussion actually started in the autododge thread, but it definitely deserves it's own topic.

So on page 66 of Splicers, we have the OCC breakdown of Great House of the Barren Marsh. It presents a picture where as much as 66% of the population are combatants. This sort population distribution would be impossible in the real world since that leaves too few to work the fields and run the economy, but this can actually work in Splicers since the population is fed via bio-tech creations (described on p67) and, there is little industry to speak of that needs to be preserved.

However, without knowing the attrition rates of biotics vs warmounts, for instance, we can't tell how the ratio of biotics to warmounts is the result of careful planning vs how much is due to the enhanced survivability of one over the other, so I think it is a mistake to naively assume that that balance shown on p66 is actually the balance desired by the Warlord and his advisors.

This isn't mentioned in Splicers that I'm aware of, but each house must have a finite capacity for building units and each unit must have a cost associated with it even if it's only the time it takes to create it. It's tempting to measure that in Bio-E, but since we have no idea what the base cost for a biotic, host armor, or the various war mounts are, only the enhancement cost, there's no way to do a real analysis of how to "optimally" balance the house production capabilities.

We also don't know the ratio of men vs women in the house, so it's hard to know what kind of population growth is possible.

But I only have the Splicers book, so if any of this is addressed in other published material, there may still be room for meaningful discussion. Heck, even if there's not, we can still speculate. :)

--flatline

Your absolutely correct and fortunately Slappy wrote a concise system for balancing or factoring the growth of biotechnology grown by Engineers and what it takes to maintain the Gene pools. WE are simply awaiting the sourcebook to be released :D

As to gender ratio, and populace expansion via reproduction, that is going to depend on the resources availed in the haven and the nearby human support/recruitment storehouses. A house that has good relations with other neighboring Great Houses or Retro villages for example will more than likely have a better chance of stabilizing its population. The civil stability within the Great House's haven(s) and its provisions and requirements of its citizens may also play a significant role in determining the House's conditions.

I personally would use the Great House of Barren Marsh as an extreme resulting in an established House of success and utilize is seniority as well as its location as strong reasons for its proven success and populace.
flatline
Knight

Premier wrote:Your absolutely correct and fortunately Slappy wrote a concise system for balancing or factoring the growth of biotechnology grown by Engineers and what it takes to maintain the Gene pools. WE are simply awaiting the sourcebook to be released :D

As to gender ratio, and populace expansion via reproduction, that is going to depend on the resources availed in the haven and the nearby human support/recruitment storehouses. A house that has good relations with other neighboring Great Houses or Retro villages for example will more than likely have a better chance of stabilizing its population. The civil stability within the Great House's haven(s) and its provisions and requirements of its citizens may also play a significant role in determining the House's conditions.

I personally would use the Great House of Barren Marsh as an extreme resulting in an established House of success and utilize is seniority as well as its location as strong reasons for its proven success and populace.

Clearly I need to purchase this upcoming Splicers release :)

I was planning on ordering Dead Reign just for reading, so I'll just plan to make a bulk purchase...

--flatline
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

flatline wrote:
Premier wrote:Your absolutely correct and fortunately Slappy wrote a concise system for balancing or factoring the growth of biotechnology grown by Engineers and what it takes to maintain the Gene pools. WE are simply awaiting the sourcebook to be released :D

Clearly I need to purchase this upcoming Splicers release :)

I was planning on ordering Dead Reign just for reading, so I'll just plan to make a bulk purchase...

--flatline

Being that the new Splicers sourcebook(s) wont be availed until 2013, I would think it safe to get the Dead Reign and prepare for a splurge in 2013.
flatline
Knight

Premier wrote:Being that the new Splicers sourcebook(s) wont be availed until 2013, I would think it safe to get the Dead Reign and prepare for a splurge in 2013.

Well, it's now 2017. Was there a new splicers book that I missed?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

No new book I'm aware of, but there is a good deal of material in various Rifters. Not a full book, but better than nothing, and in my opinion a great expansion.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

flatline wrote:
Premier wrote:Being that the new Splicers sourcebook(s) wont be availed until 2013, I would think it safe to get the Dead Reign and prepare for a splurge in 2013.

--flatline

Several manuscripts were submitted, iirc, with KS liking them enough to want them published... Then the reality of a single editor kicked in and we're now here still waiting.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
flatline
Knight

Slight001 wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Several manuscripts were submitted, iirc, with KS liking them enough to want them published... Then the reality of a single editor kicked in and we're now here still waiting.

Ah. That's too bad.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

flatline wrote:
Slight001 wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Ah. That's too bad.

--flatline

also completely predictable, unfortunately. this has been the problem for many many years. it will probably continue. i wouldn't be surprised if we eventually get them (chuck sees kevin quite regularly, after all, and this is his baby figuratively speaking :P ), just... don't hold your breath.

Return to “Splicers®”