Dodging gunfire post-RUE

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Dodging gunfire post-RUE

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Since search is down...

It appears as written, that once you are being shot at over 50 feet away, there's no longer any penalty?

Or is there no penalty... but also no bonuses unless specifically described in the OCC?

verus the GMG 'clarification' of -10 or -8 depending on distance, no bonuses (although I & most GMs I know allow at least some bonuses as most PCs will still be -1 to -6 for most).

I have first printing of RUE, so dunno if it's been updated since or changed.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Dodging gunfire post-RUE

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well per RUE on pg361 under the "Dodging Bullets & Energy Blasts" section it states the only bonuses you get are from:
-P.P. Attribute (which only applies to those 16+)
-any O.C.C. bonus to dodge (likely ones specific to dodging these types of attacks)

The GMG predates RUE, and is connected with the RMB-era rules. RUE updated and changed various rules, some for better or worse, and this is one such example (missile guidance is another, exploding dice, GI Joe rule, etc). Some RMB classes do dodge/parry at a smaller rate, so under RUE it could be considered a bonus to dodge this type of attack.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Dodging gunfire in HU has not changed from the rules in the HUGMG.

In RUE, the dodging gunfire is ether +50' range: -10 w/o any bonuses or 50' or less: -5 w/o any bonuses. (If I am miss-reemmbering I'm sure someone will correct me.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In RUE, the dodging gunfire is ether +50' range: -10 w/o any bonuses or 50' or less: -5 w/o any bonuses. (If I am miss-reemmbering I'm sure someone will correct me.)

Page 361:
(Dodging Bullets & Energy Blasts)
-10 to dodge at point-blank range; within 10 feet (3m) of the shooter.
-5 to dodge at close range, within 50 feet (15.2 m) of the shooter
(Quick References)
Dodging Gunfire, within 10 feet (3m): -10 to dodge.
Dodging Gunfire, within 50 feet (15.2m): -5 to dodge.

One could get stacky and make that a -15 within 10 total, but it does appear to imply no penalties dodging it beyond 50 feet.

It does say PP bonuses and OCC bonuses to dodge, so that would discount bonuses from HTH or Robot Combat or boxing/athletics or similar from being of benefit. The +1 to dodge a Body Fixer enjoys (page 87) or Dog Boy (146) should still apply though. Racial bonuses like from the Cat's Eye Dragon (160) would not appear to apply though, unless the GM rules the "any O.C.C." to mean "any character class" and appply to RCCs as well.

I guess you could take the broad view that "any O.C.C. bonus" could apply to any skills provided via an OCC (primary, related, secondary) just not skills gained from an RCC or learned via tutelage under a Rogue Scholar.

It also requires knowing it's coming and seeing the attacker.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”