Flying and moving while casting question

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dinne
Wanderer

Flying and moving while casting question

Unread post by Dinne »

In the combat questions on the palladium site it mentions directly that parry(if not a hand movement spell), hide, move w/o running can all be done while casting a spell. This is in respect to not spending an action, defensively, while casting.

My question is related to non-defensive actions. Likely flying around or just flying at all with wings. Generally, I do not allow other actions to be done while casting because of concentration. So I guess my question is whether moving, running, flying in place, flying around, operating a vehicle, take damage from something, and flying in power armor would interrupt the spell casting.

I always appreciate the comments that you guys give and discuss. It helps me tremendously!!! 8-) 8-)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Flying and moving while casting question

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Most spells can be only be interrupted if they take more than one action to cast anyway (or they planned to cast even single action spell, but decided an incoming attack was too dangerous and spent the action dodging instead).

So unless it's a lvl 5+ spell, it doesn't seem like you can really be interrupted anyway. If you're using a multi-action spell, the general rules you're already familiar with apply. Though in Palladium, movement isn't married to actions. Though it says you can't run, so I would suppose it means that you can't fly more than half your listed flight speed, or be piloting something which requires concentration (unless you want to allow it with a penalty to their skill check).
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

Alrik Vas wrote:Most spells can be only be interrupted if they take more than one action to cast anyway (or they planned to cast even single action spell, but decided an incoming attack was too dangerous and spent the action dodging instead).

So unless it's a lvl 5+ spell, it doesn't seem like you can really be interrupted anyway. If you're using a multi-action spell, the general rules you're already familiar with apply. Though in Palladium, movement isn't married to actions. Though it says you can't run, so I would suppose it means that you can't fly more than half your listed flight speed, or be piloting something which requires concentration (unless you want to allow it with a penalty to their skill check).

Do you think that damage should interrupt spells? I was thinking of just using the rules for impact for interruption. So 20MD and above will interrupt a spell? Nothing says that they are interrupted by damage.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It's in RUE. Being under attack can interrupt spells. Read the magic section, you'll find it. Regardless, as I said, you can't interrupt a spell that takes only 1 action to cast.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The only situation I can see interrupting a single-action spell being plausible is if the mage is engaged in a simultaneous attack, because the attack they're responding to should in theory land first and possible disrupt their spell.

That's only if the mage is the simultaneous attacker though. If you simultaneously attack a mage casting a single-action spell, they should get their spell off before they get hit.
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

Answer accepted. Thank you. :)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Dinne wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:Most spells can be only be interrupted if they take more than one action to cast anyway (or they planned to cast even single action spell, but decided an incoming attack was too dangerous and spent the action dodging instead).

Do you think that damage should interrupt spells? I was thinking of just using the rules for impact for interruption. So 20MD and above will interrupt a spell? Nothing says that they are interrupted by damage.

Mysteries of Magic places it at 8 points of damage.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Book 1 Heart of Magic? Do you recall which page? 38 mentions the War Wizard will be covered in a future volume of the Mysteries of Magic series.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Page 45 mentions how mages are trained to deal with distractions while casting. Page 54 is the page with the damage rule on it.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
sardonislamir
D-Bee

Unread post by sardonislamir »

Running would be challenging to cast a spell while doing so because running jars speech... However, say Fly as the Eagle flight, might not because it's smooth movement.

Moving itself doesn't really involve a great deal of concentration. It's the context that matters. So moving at full speed with FLy as the eagle would be fine through the sky, but considered a distraction on concentration if navigating trees.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”