damage to supernatural creatures

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ruaryvash
D-Bee

damage to supernatural creatures

Unread post by Ruaryvash »

given how long I've been playing Palladium, I feel a little embarrassed to be asking this kind of question, but it's driving me crazy so here goes:

Until recently, I had always assumed damage was damage, regardless of who it was being dealt by, and dealt to, unless specifically stated in descriptions (i.e., certain creatures immune to fire, certain creatures receive double damage from holy weapons, etc.). But in writing up a campaign that leans heavily on Chantico, I noticed some wording that made me rethink this. Specifically, his vulnerabilities and weaknesses section states:

Chantico is so weakened as a god that ordinary physical attacks can actually do him harm (1/2 damage). He is also vulnerable to weapons plated in silver and Holy Weapons (double damage for those that have extra effects on evil or the supernatural). On the other hand, silver weapons and rune weapons only do ordinary damage to Chantico, as if he were an ordinary mortal. Magic and psionics have full effect and do full damage.

ignoring the confusingly redundant statement about silver weapons, my issue is with the first sentence. Because Chantico is weak, ordinary weapons can harm him. does this mean that a full strength god or other supernatural creatures (like ancient dragons) do not, normally, take damage from regular (non magic, non holy, non rune) run-of-forge weapons?? That's what it seems to imply but I cannot substantiate this anywhere else in the texts, nor in the forums. please help!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: damage to supernatural creatures

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It's drivel. Honestly. In some cases, certain settings, it might apply to him being harmed by non-magic MDC weapons. Though most Gods are vulnerable to them anyway. It's just a silly statement. I've never seen any kind of general statement that makes Gods by their nature as Gods, immune to normal weapons unless they were being counted as MDC and someone was hitting them with an SDC weapon. That isn't specifically because they're a God though.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Ruaryvash
D-Bee

Thanks Vas. I'll give it a few more days for additional replies if they are out there. Otherwise I'm glad to know I haven't missed something critical
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It is an easter egg due to there is no other text that it counters. So is just flavor text GMs can use to modify the rules for their games.
----
I would agree that the implications are that PB deities cannot be harmed by mundane/non-mystic weapons.
However!, There is no specific text that says that, covering all deities.
And, because they are MDC in MDC settings this immunity would also hold true for MD weapons.

And that silver, Holy, and Rune weapons do full damage to Chantico implies that PB Deities have a resistance to these weapons if they are not critically weakened.
---
Taking it a step further, it does seam to mean that if Demigods and Godlings get themselves a modicum of followers they gain some immunities to those at the level of Chantico.
---
Another question comes to mind for GMs to answer for their own games, "Do particle beam weapons harm deities (assuming they have the above implied immunities) like they do invulnerable (superpower) chars?"

Far as I could see there is no Canon Answer to these question. Thus GMs will have to make their own choices for their games.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My guess?
it is an example of something that failed to get edited out. I.e. I would guess that in the original draft of the book gods were immune to damage except from certain sources (probably magic, magic weapons, holy weapons and psionics with some sort of damage boost for rune weapons.)
When this feature was removed they forgot to remove the Chantico text referencing it.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Actually, a lot of gods are listed as being immune to normal weapons but not Mega Damage weapons in Rifts. It's not common to all deities, but a lot of them. it definatly does not apply to all supernatural beings, I don't know why you would make that leap.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Ruaryvash
D-Bee

Great info all. Thanks. I'm satisfied with these answers.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Maybe it means Chantico used to have a unique deific immunity to normal weapons which other gods lacked. His "weakened as a god that" disclaimer might be in respect to his former self rather than to a state which other gods enjoy. Perhaps he had the major super power Invulnerability and Thoth negated it.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”