Bows with a PS requirement.

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Bows with a PS requirement.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I will keep is simple.

Do bows with a minimum PS requirement transfer the PS bonus, up to the minumum, of the character to the damage the arrow does?
If so I'd like a book/page reference.

Since no one can answer my question I will ask: How do/would you play Bows with a PS requierments? Do they get a PS bonus to the damage, up to the required PS score's bonus??
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Bows with a PS requirement.

Unread post by Axelmania »

I probably wouldn't add it, assuming that it would be higher damage bows that would have a requirement to begin with.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I will keep is simple.

Do bows with a minimum PS requirement ...

[snip]
How do/would you play Bows with a PS requierments?

Greetings and Salutations. You might get better responses if you actually try to provide some actual examples and sources. None of the bows I can think of have a P.S. requirement, so I'd play them as they don't exist since they don't exist to the best of my knowledge. You want a better answer, provide some sources so we can discuss an actual topic better. Farewell and safe journeys.

P.S. Though to answer your initial question, P.S. damage bonus is listed as a "Hand to Hand combat" damage. So unless the bow is being modified by hand to hand combat in some form (and I don't think there's a canon way to enhance archery with Hand to Hand skills), or there's specific text to overrule the general text, P.S. damage bonus wouldn't be added without house rules, unless you're actually using the bow as a melee weapon (i.e. a blunt instrument) and not a ranged weapon.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I the PF D&G book there are some bows there listed as having a PS requirement. And one of them being listed as doing more damage then the normal 2D6, but that over the norm damage was when in the hand's of it's mistress.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Closest canon thing i could find was The Larhold Barbarian Now. That deals Supernatural Ps+6md. In an sdc setting i don't see it being game breaking.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. You might get better responses if you actually try to provide some actual examples and sources. None of the bows I can think of have a P.S. requirement, so I'd play them as they don't exist since they don't exist to the best of my knowledge. You want a better answer, provide some sources so we can discuss an actual topic better. Farewell and safe journeys.

Examples exist in Rifts:
South America 2 Larhold Barbarians have multiple composite bows with a PS requirement to use
Spirit West has the laser bow and a non-magic/tech bow
Dinosaur Swamp's Steeltree Bows have a PS requirement
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Thank you Say and SL for pointing out the Larhold and the SteelTree bows.

Both are only sort of what I was looking for (both being rifts & not the mechanics I was thinking of) but sometimes that is all you'd get.

What I was thinking was that the bow is built so char with only that PS or greater could use it and it would give the PS bonus up to that min. PS score.
As such a bow made with a min PS of 20 would give a +5 to the damage.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Thank you Say and SL for pointing out the Larhold and the SteelTree bows.

Both are only sort of what I was looking for (both being rifts & not the mechanics I was thinking of) but sometimes that is all you'd get.

What I was thinking was that the bow is built so char with only that PS or greater could use it and it would give the PS bonus up to that min. PS score.
As such a bow made with a min PS of 20 would give a +5 to the damage.

Well the Larhold bows require a SN PS to use, but "does hand to hand damage (based on supernatural P.S.) + # M.D." on pg190 & 186 (SA2) with differing bonus values between the Shaman and Barbarian classes. I'm not sure why the bonus damage is different between the two classes, either there are two types of bows (with the weaker going to the Shaman) in universe or out-of-universe we have a typo/editing mistake since neither class assumes a static PS score.

So there is some precedent that PS requirement and a bow can alter damage based on PS score (since SN PS determines melee damage), though not in the expected ways (bonus to damage).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

well KS does not like sa2 anyways…..*wonders why it gets reprinted* oh yeh $$
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I liked the South America books. People who constantly say OP, just look at the Occs not the setting. Several minor wars plus Vampires plus Barbarian Hordes plus etc, etc ,etc
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I will keep is simple.

Do bows with a minimum PS requirement transfer the PS bonus, up to the minumum, of the character to the damage the arrow does?
If so I'd like a book/page reference.

Since no one can answer my question I will ask: How do/would you play Bows with a PS requierments? Do they get a PS bonus to the damage, up to the required PS score's bonus??

You get what the bow in question says you do.
As there is no 'generic bow' that has a PS requirement there is no 'generic rule'
Instead for each 'special snowflake bow' you use that bows unique and special rules.
Thus the Larhold bow does not do damage like a normal bow (based on the arrow or a flat rate) but instead does the H2H/Punch damage of the person with a +6 as the 'arrow' damage.
The Steel Tree bow on the other hand does the normal damage for its arrows and does not get any bonus damage based on the PS of the wielder.
Two different "bows for strength" two different rules. I would hazard to guess that additional bows would likewise have additional rules and not follow any sort of format.

Does that help?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Yep, and GMs like having precedents in canon for what weapon you want to have. Just making up a whole text tends to annoy them and you get the "that is not canon' speech, even though you told them you made it up.

--------------------------
Moving on from the answered question…

How would you convert the Steeltree bows for use in a SDC setting?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Yep, and GMs like having precedents in canon for what weapon you want to have. Just making up a whole text tends to annoy them and you get the "that is not canon' speech, even though you told them you made it up.

--------------------------
Moving on from the answered question…

Assuming that I was being super generous and that I was going to let the bows do something special other than be really nize bows?
I would probably apply the MDC weapons become SDC weapons, and then let arrows fired from them be the equivalent of AP bullets (so ignore 2 points of AR) Possibly with say... +3 damage.
If you are using a ST bow and ST arrows of course.

But basically... I would make something up that fit for the game I was running and use that.
If I was going to let them have anything (the canon answer would be "They become SDC weapons that do Structural Damage on a 1:1 basis to the Mega Damage they inflict in Rifts". But that answer is boring so...)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Moving on from the answered question…

I think the answer is pretty much in the fluff text for Bow-type weapons for non-Steeltree arrow/bolts (ie extra damage, but bolt/arrow is shattered), for Steeltree arrow/bolts I'd look at 1:1 with AP qualities (they are supposed to hit with railgun force, so they would be armor piercing IMHO) based on the fluff text and RCB1r, and might toss in an additional die (or raise the dice code by one) for the "heavy" bow types.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”