sea titan's and the CS

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thasic
D-Bee

sea titan's and the CS

Unread post by thasic »

I'm returning to rifts after a few years GMing other games and im still getting caught up but need some instant info if its available.

Has there been an update to the New Navy? specifically i need to know if anything is mentioned about how the Coalition would treat Sea Titans. Book and page #are fine if its been updated, if not then what is your opinion on how the CS would react to Sea Titans? Mutants? corrupted by magic and need to be destroyed?
New campaign is based out of Arzno to begin with and it looks like a Sea Titan scout and a Coalition Janissary infiltrator are going to be in the same group. i can Guess what the New Navy's reaction and orders will be but i can see Coalition reacting in a few ways.

Thanks and let the madness begin.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: sea titan's and the CS

Unread post by Glistam »

By the canon there's nothing I know of but I haven't done a good review of the latest books which might address it. Dog Boys and Psi-Stalkers can sense to Supernatural, so to them a Sea Titan would be no different than any other Humanoid Supernatural being. Once you add the supernatural Janissary into the mix though all bets are off. This is really going to have to be between the player of the Janissary and the GM to determine how he or she may be required to act.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Why WOULD the CS treat the Sea Titans any differently? They are humans corruped by magic, as untrustworthy and evil as any other magic-using human.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

At worst i think they would be viewed as mutants much like psychics. Their genetics were essentially mutated by magic energy much like psi stalkers and psychics in general. If anything they could be viewed as a natural born Janissary. Their basic stats are not all that different (i personally replaced the rifter bg of Jans with a history that they were in fact developed from captured sea titan dna)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
thasic
D-Bee

Unread post by thasic »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Why WOULD the CS treat the Sea Titans any differently? They are humans corruped by magic, as untrustworthy and evil as any other magic-using human.

Sea titans are more psionic than normal humans but they dont have more magic unless a magic occ is used. so a base sea titan would smell human but supernatural i.e. mutant. but not necessarily magic.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

thasic wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Why WOULD the CS treat the Sea Titans any differently? They are humans corruped by magic, as untrustworthy and evil as any other magic-using human.

Sea titans are more psionic than normal humans but they dont have more magic unless a magic occ is used. so a base sea titan would smell human but supernatural i.e. mutant. but not necessarily magic.

Supernatural means they would sense as supernatural, which is not the same thing as creature of magic, but still just as much not trusted. In fact, the fear of the Supernatural corrupting humans and turning them into something else is exactly what the CS propaganda machine is raising terror about.

Far from being accepted, Sea Titans would be taken as absolute proof everything the CS says about the corrupting influence of magic permanently altering humans to be terrifying reality. they would see exterminating them as a mercy.

it's aliens and the supernatural that the CS fears. Magic is the secondary fear that stems from the fear of the alien. the Sea Titans would be the familiar turned into aliens, which is the most frightening thing of all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
thasic
D-Bee

Unread post by thasic »

good point. thanks
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Far from being accepted, Sea Titans would be taken as absolute proof everything the CS says about the corrupting influence of magic permanently altering humans to be terrifying reality. they would see exterminating them as a mercy.

The CS has already accepted humans permanently altered by the magical environment, the Psi-Stalkers and the Psi-Ghosts. I think they're more potentially accepting than people give them credit for.

I could see a lot of people being more paranoid about someone who can walk through walls than by someone who can survive MD.
thasic
D-Bee

Unread post by thasic »

so the middle ground of what i'm seeing would go something like....The CS would want to research the hell out of them and then after a lengthy research and experiment phase might accept them with heavy restrictions similar to those imposed on people with cybernetics responsible for their strength and psionics being marked so everyone knows who and what they are. they would also require ongoing military service, serve 20 years then 5 or 10 out of every 10, 15, or 20 years and all their children must be raised by the cs with special training and indoctrination. sound about right?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Axelmania wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Far from being accepted, Sea Titans would be taken as absolute proof everything the CS says about the corrupting influence of magic permanently altering humans to be terrifying reality. they would see exterminating them as a mercy.

The CS has already accepted humans permanently altered by the magical environment, the Psi-Stalkers and the Psi-Ghosts. I think they're more potentially accepting than people give them credit for.

I could see a lot of people being more paranoid about someone who can walk through walls than by someone who can survive MD.

You are confusing Mutations caused by a magic enviroment for Magical Mutations. Psi-stalkers and Psi-Ghosts were not mutated in a magical way, they simply evolved in response to magic. They are not supernatural. They evolved in response to the supernatural.

Sea Titans are Supernatural and infused with magic energy. Completely different thing.

thasic wrote:so the middle ground of what i'm seeing would go something like....The CS would want to research the hell out of them and then after a lengthy research and experiment phase might accept them with heavy restrictions similar to those imposed on people with cybernetics responsible for their strength and psionics being marked so everyone knows who and what they are. they would also require ongoing military service, serve 20 years then 5 or 10 out of every 10, 15, or 20 years and all their children must be raised by the cs with special training and indoctrination. sound about right?

No, As above, they are Completely infused with supernatural energy. There would be no experimentation phase, only Shooting.

Axelmania
Knight

My rereading what it says on page 63 of Psyscape actually seems to leave Psi-Ghost cause a bit vague. We know they're mutants, they all originate from the Magic Zone (it began in a tiny village there) and that none can explain how or why they possess the ability.

Some speculate it's from exposure to ley line energy, others alien radiation, energy or magic for another dimension.

So depending on what the GM decides, it could be a magical mutation like the Sea Titan or the cause within the magic zone could be non-magical and the location merely a coincidence.

152 of RUE makes it clear the Stalkers are "humans transformed by the magic and dimensional energies from the ley lines" and 154 that they become MDC beings on ley lines or when fighting MDC supernaturals.

The Sea Titans 'smelling supernatural' might single them out for greater scrutiny than Ghosts/Stalkers who only smell as mutants/psychics, but I don't see it as an automatic death sentence.

Sea Titans are split SDC/MDC during pre-puberty post-puberty like Stalkers are split SDC/MDC off/on ley lines. The CS could begin by conditionally observing sea titan kids before they go supernatural and controls would then be in place to evaluate whatever change happens after.

Captain Nemo has similar reservations about the Titans (even though he was himself one) and relinquished command and they did studies and only slowly phased them back into service. The Coalition could be extended a similar grace period.

Nemo's no idiot, and he supports the CS, and I don't think he would do that if they had absolutely no chance of accepting him.
thasic
D-Bee

Unread post by thasic »

thanks Axelmania that's what i was thinking. if nothing else i think the cs would want to use them as elite troopers against big supernaturals if nothing else.

thanks you all for your responses. i i have enough to say capture for research if you can.
Axelmania
Knight

Being mutants, it would be illegal for Sea Titans to have sexual relations with normal humans (like it is with psychics) so that would slow (probably not prevent) the genes from spreading.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”