Some questions on chemicals.

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fermat
Explorer

Some questions on chemicals.

Unread post by Fermat »

Recently, a few questions came up concerning chemicals and toxins, some of which I thought I had an answer for, but I'm hooing there is something more concrete.

1. Bob is exposed to a toxin/poison. How does the save work?
Option 1: Attempt to save at the initial exposure, if he doesn't make the save, he suffers for the duration.
Option 2: Attempt to save at the initial exposure, if he fails, he suffers the effects. However, if he retests again next melee and succeeds, the effects end and he's safe for the rest of the duration.
Option 3: Bob tests every melee as long as the effect lasts. If he saves, he is immune for that melee (or some other time period), but the effect could still return.
Naturally, this has great importance when thinking about toxins that persist like topical poisons. As a side question, would this be the same approach for environmental concerns (disease laden air, radiation, vertigo beams, etc.)

2. Bob buys some acid, grease, dye, or other useful liquid. Are there any standard measures for how much volume such a chemical would be (1 cup, 1 gallon). I can understand if it it varies depending on the liquid, but I haven't found any clear idea for these. In a similar vein, if Bob drops it on the floor or throws it on the wall, what kind of area does it cover? Once again, differing answers depending on the liquid would be understandable, but I couldn't find any clear rules.

3. Are there any rules on chemicals breaking down over time, therefore losing potency? I think there must be, but I haven't found any.

Thanks for the help.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Some questions on chemicals.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Option one. Saving throws in palladium are one and done--the only exceptions are certain SPECIFIC poisons/toxins that allow one to save more than once (once per melee round, hour, day, it can vary), in which case you use that insteadd.

2: Gm's call. Considering the viscosity of various hazardous chemicals is not exactly common knowlege, your GM will mostly be pulling values out of thin air.

3: No, there are no rules in Palladium for this whatsoever, GM's are expected to use common sense.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Fermat
Explorer

Re: Some questions on chemicals.

Unread post by Fermat »

Thanks, I am working on something and I try to avoid breaking canon where it exists. The question about saves was just how I play it, but a question was raised and I realized I couldn't find a specific source. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”