Called Shots

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tark
D-Bee

Called Shots

Unread post by Tark »

I had a debate with some others about called shots. Say for example, you are wearing a helmet with a open lower face, can you called shot someone's open lower part of the helmet to ignore the helmet's MDC? The gist of it is, can you do called shots to ignore someone's MDC armor?
dragonfett
Knight

Re: Called Shots

Unread post by dragonfett »

Yes, you can perform a called shot to the exposed chin of the target, however such a precise shot is going to suffer from penalties beyond simply needing a 12 or better to hit. IINM, the head shots already are supposed to incur penalties to hit.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I was already called out on the 12 or higher needed, on a separate thread. Apparently RUE eliminated that. Now it's just the standard 8 for ranged attacks plus bonuses to hit minus penalties to hit for small target. And for the example given there would be some heavy penalties.
dragonfett
Knight

Huh, I could have sworn that for a called shot a 12 or better was needed.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Marcethus
Champion

It used to be all the way up until they release RUE. Other lines may still use that rule.
dragonfett
Knight

Ah, thanks.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Marcethus
Champion

No worries. I was all head scratching when I got called out on that mistake myself. Until I pulled out the RUE and read it myself, and was like huh weird. But with Called Shots and Aimed Shots now taking more than one action. Each takes one extra action to perform both combined take 3 actions.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Yeah, that's a rule that my group is split on.

To the point that I think I'm going to have to get OOG input and make a ruling.

I know several, including me for the NPCs, aren't fans of "taking a knee". It's more to track because no one wants to lose their bonuses to shoot, so everyone is taking a knee.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Marcethus wrote:No worries. I was all head scratching when I got called out on that mistake myself. Until I pulled out the RUE and read it myself, and was like huh weird. But with Called Shots and Aimed Shots now taking more than one action. Each takes one extra action to perform both combined take 3 actions.

Right.
Which means that if there's a guy in combat who isn't firing yet, just pointing a rifle at your head, and you have an exposed jaw/chin/anything, you might want to spend an action to duck or turn around or something.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The RGMG discusses using Called Shots to bypass the AR of SDC armor by shooting exposed places.
The principle is the same.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I guess the downside NOW is the extra melee attack needed to do a called shot.

Pre-ultimate though that seemed to kind of defeat the purpose of AR except against weapons which can't make called shots.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:I guess the downside NOW is the extra melee attack needed to do a called shot.

Pre-ultimate though that seemed to kind of defeat the purpose of AR except against weapons which can't make called shots.

Which is likely why it got changed...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”