Shadow Beast Horror Factor

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Shadow Beast Horror Factor

Unread post by The Beast »

Do they have a HF or not? I don't see one listed in any of the spell descriptions, but I thought I had seen a listing for them somewhere.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Shadow Beast Horror Factor

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Not that I'm familiar with. IIRC isn't there a creature(s) that can be mistaken for them. I checked the Shadeling, thinking this was it, but it wasn't.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I cannot find a Horror Factor listed in any Official material (I checked a couple different settings, as well as an adventure where they're stats are given again). In Rifter 20, other shadow denizens are all given Horror Factors, but the Shadow Beasts stats are not listed. In Rifter 28, Carl Gleba wrote a shadow article where he stats the Shadow Beasts with a Horror Factor (similar to the theme from #20), but this is unofficial and doesn't show accuracy with any official material I can find. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The Beast wrote:Do they have a HF or not? I don't see one listed in any of the spell descriptions, but I thought I had seen a listing for them somewhere.

Page 57 of Shadows of Light features a slightly modified version of Shadow Beasts, presented as regular monsters rather than spell effects. These Shadow Beasts have a Horror factor of 15 individually, or 18 for groups of four or more.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Maybe you could use the shadow creatures from FoM as a guide.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Perhaps they have no HF since you can't see them when they're in the dark.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Whoa...
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
The Beast wrote:Do they have a HF or not? I don't see one listed in any of the spell descriptions, but I thought I had seen a listing for them somewhere.

Page 57 of Shadows of Light features a slightly modified version of Shadow Beasts, presented as regular monsters rather than spell effects. These Shadow Beasts have a Horror factor of 15 individually, or 18 for groups of four or more.

This is what we did in a recent game. My co-GM & I thought it odd that they had no HF listed, yet the Female Shadow Beast listed in PFRPG Bk 3 High Seas, did have a HF.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

The Beast

Myrrhibis wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

This is what we did in a recent game. My co-GM & I thought it odd that they had no HF listed, yet the Female Shadow Beast listed in PFRPG Bk 3 High Seas, did have a HF.

What page is that one on?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

The Beast wrote:
Myrrhibis wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

What page is that one on?

Greetings and Salutations. I feel confident this is directed at Leviathan on page 71 of the Second Edition (fun note, Leviathan is female in 2nd edition but was originally a male in 1st edition). However, I can say that Leviathan doesn't have a HF in my copy. This is one of the sources I checked in my previous post. So that raises the question: Which printing?

I ask because I know Palladium did some shadow updates to AotHS. For example, in later printings, the Necromancer has a key missing ability left out from earlier printings. So it's possible that a HF to Shadow Beasts is another possible update, though I'm skeptical. I'm far more inclined to agree with flatline's logic on this one. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Unread post by mirithol »

My copy of Adventure on the High Seas did not list Horror Factor as a stat for Shadow Beasts. Given the other cast of monsters are given Horror Factor stats, and for shadow beasts it is noted they have bonus saves vs. Horror Factor, the omission of their own HF seems intentional.

Be sure to keep the lights on...
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Myrrhibis wrote:the Female Shadow Beast listed in PFRPG Bk 3 High Seas

Just when I thought a species was safe from fantasizing about...

Prysus wrote: I feel confident this is directed at Leviathan on page 71 of the Second Edition (fun note, Leviathan is female in 2nd edition but was originally a male in 1st edition).

Maybe whatever happened to Mictla afflicted Leviathan as well.

Also: would this offend the giantess of Dyval?

Any chances of creating a 'Summoner Greater Shadow Beast' spell?

Makes me wonder about summoners... I don't know if any circle would apply to Shadow Beasts, so I guess only 'Pawn' would work but that would require knowing their names and they might not naturally have them.

Chandar had to accomplish this somehow...
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

There is a spell to summon Shadowbeasts so a summoning circle would be quite easy peasy to design I guess.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Prysus wrote:Leviathan is female in 2nd edition but was originally a male in 1st edition

Huh... I have a 5th printing of the revised edition from September 1988 and on page 197 "giantess" .. "she is the mistress", any idea how far back we need to go to find her being male?
The Beast

Axelmania wrote:
Prysus wrote:Leviathan is female in 2nd edition but was originally a male in 1st edition

Huh... I have a 5th printing of the revised edition from September 1988 and on page 197 "giantess" .. "she is the mistress", any idea how far back we need to go to find her being male?

Yeah, I did a post awhile back detailing all the changes to the demon/devil lords throughout the years. For some time they were alien intelligences in Rifts, and demon lords in PFRPG, plus a couple of them did change gender (IIRC, one even changed genders multiple times). I think it was the original Rifts version that had Leviathan as male.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Axelmania wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Both your date and page number are wrong. I'm not sure what book you're using, but Adventures on the High Seas had a Third Printing in 1990. So basically two years AFTER you're claiming they already had a Fifth Printing. Also, page 197 is the section on ships and has nothing to do with Leviathan (the Shadow Beast) or even that adventure. So you'll need to go far enough back to at least have some accurate information. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

No sign of HF on Leviathan or the Males listed right after her on pg 71 of my second printing copy of AotHS.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”