weapon kata and tamashiwara

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: weapon kata and tamashiwara

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Holy crap someone answer this, i'm interested as hell and i got no idea how it would work. :eek:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Tamashiwara closes saying 'punching or kicking' but that's expanded by the opening flavor text which also mentions elbows, knees and foreheads. I don't think this would allow for weapons.

Weapon Katas allow you to use allow you to add your art's bonuses to WP attacks and to use weapons with your art's moves. This means if you have a circular parry or something, you can do it with your staff.

It doesn't mean that you can take specific moves and use them with a weapon though, if it doesn't make any sense. You can't do a 'dropkick' with a staff, for example, because it's a kick.

Tamashiwara's description implies the use of the physical body by it's description. It's too specific to allow for a weapon.

Most Atemi abilities are also this way, requiring specific strikes. The only Atemi whose description is generic enough to allow for weapon katas to be used to deliver them are Duatsu, and Kyosho (maybe some others in MC). Chirigi requires 2 specific hand strikes, while Grasping Hand by nature of it's name I think requires a hand (although ignoring the title, there could be other ways to perform joint locks, dunno). Withering Flesh specifies a punch and Dim Mak requires a hand strike as well.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
cms6317
D-Bee

Unread post by cms6317 »

One thing to note, is that a Golem is a living thing, which means that it has Chi.
You cannot shatter it or break a hole in it because it is a living entity.
You would do double damage direct to hit points.
If it were a rifts setting, or a bts setting that the gm gave it MDC, I would allow for Tamashiwara to do damage in MD capacity against an MDC creature.

On a side note:

My GM came up with some additional Martial Arts Powers (it may have come from a Rifter, I don't know); here is one from the list:

Setsudan or Severing Chi:
Much like Tamashiwara, but requires the use of a weapon with a sharp edge. Instead of breaking the target, it is cut cleanly apart. Even items that would normally be impossible to cut without shattering, like glass bottles and the like, are neatly severed. Mind and Spirit must be as one, so no emotional disturbance can be troubling the warrior. Cannot be used near a creature with a Horror Factor over 15, they are just too distracting. Against a living opponent, Setsudan or Severing does double normal damage (plus strength bonus if applicable) direct to hit points. Against intangible creatures like supernatural creatures, magical entities, and alien energy beings, the weapon does full damage. Creatures normally unaffected by normal man-made weapons take half damage.

Requirements: Weapon Kata.

(Considered a Martial Art Technique, and may be used with any form.)
smashed
Wanderer

Unread post by smashed »

I would not consider golems as living things. I put them in the same class as robots.

For my games I would allow a tamashiwara user to affect golems, but it could end up being either highly effective or completely ineffective. If the golem is large enough, the user could break holes in the golem with no real effect. Smaller golems could have their limbs removed with called shots. The most effective thing I would allow, which also requires knowledge of golems by the tamashiwara user, would be to target where the heart of the golem is and aim for that. I would allow a successful strike to remove the heart, destroying the golem.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

smashed wrote:I would not consider golems as living things. I put them in the same class as robots.

For my games I would allow a tamashiwara user to affect golems, but it could end up being either highly effective or completely ineffective. If the golem is large enough, the user could break holes in the golem with no real effect. Smaller golems could have their limbs removed with called shots. The most effective thing I would allow, which also requires knowledge of golems by the tamashiwara user, would be to target where the heart of the golem is and aim for that. I would allow a successful strike to remove the heart, destroying the golem.

But they are explictly classified as alive by the spell that makes them, they are considered creatures of magic. The fact they lack freewill does not mean they are not alive.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

When are they called creatures of magic? Does this mean golems will split Zavors?

Could a necromancer attach the limbs of a golem to himself?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:When are they called creatures of magic? Does this mean golems will split Zavors?

Uh, it's listed as that in the book of magic which is what I usually use to check.

Could a necromancer attach the limbs of a golem to himself?

And sure, why not?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Hm... don't golems fully regenerate as long as you don't remove the heart? Unlimited golem limbs...

Necromancers are also capable of attaching limbs to people other than themselves at higher levels...

So you could get a bunch of minions and give them all golem limbs :)
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

even if its non-living, it has chi to break. however since its a critter and not just an object, I'd go with the X2 to HP...though it hasn't HP.

Hmmm. it definitely should do extra damage. especially since its a full round move.

triple weapon damage maybe?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”