Jerry Bruckheimer leaves Disney for more flexibility

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Jerry Bruckheimer leaves Disney for more flexibility

Unread post by Incriptus »

I would make a Rifts movie if I were him ;-)

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=842418

Jerry Bruckheimer has just announced a new, three-year deal to make movies at Paramount, following TheWrap's break of the news earlier this week. The legendary Hollywood producer talked to TheWrap on Friday about the change, saying he looked forward to having newfound "freedom" at Paramount that he lacked at Disney, where he made "The Rock," "Pearl Harbor" and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise.

In an exclusive interview, Bruckheimer discussed his upcoming departure, a "Top Gun" sequel and some other movies he might make.

TheWrap: You met with several studios over the past few months, why did you choose to work with Paramount?

Bruckheimer: I have friends there. I worked with (Paramount Vice Chairman) Rob Moore when he was at Disney. We got a lot of very good movies made. I worked with Brad as a manager for a number of years. It's a very comfortable place for me.

(With Paramount Film Group President) Adam Goodman, we were developing 'Top Gun' until Tony (Scott) died. We have a very good relationship.

Are you still going to make another 'Top Gun'?

We would very much like to continue with it. Tony had a great beat on how to redo it, and we would like to follow that along.

What kinds of movies would Paramount like you to make?

They make a multitude of movies - from very low-budget to the kind of movies we've made in the past.

I will have the freedom and opportunity to make various kinds of pictures, which I didn't have at Disney. There is a narrow band of PG or soft PG-13. If you take out 'Pirates,' I had a lot of success making 'The Rock,' "Armageddon, 'Pearl Harbor.' It's hard to get those made there now. It's a great place to work, and I had a great run there.

But that lack of flexibility is why the partnership had to end?

Absolutely. We want to spread our wings. We lived in this narrow world, which we loved by the way. I make movies I want to see, and I don't just want to see the PG movies. I want to see hard PG-13 and R movies. 'Black Hawk Down' is a picture I loved making.

The reason we're not still there - no matter what media reports say - is because of that narrow band and the number of movies they make. They have Marvel, they make two Disney Animation movies, then DreamWorks, which they distribute, and now Star Wars.

There are not a lot of movies getting made there for a producer like me. I just finished a picture at ScreenGems, which turned out terrific. It's a very hard R-rated movie, a paranormal thriller. It's a new genre that I never approached, not in this vein. It's low-budget for me. I loved experiencing something completely different.

Do you know what movie you want to make next?

We had a lot in development at Disney that we built under Dick Cook that Disney won't make. Some have already come out. 'Beware the Night,' which is now 'Deliver Us From Evil' is one of them.

We have another project called 'Shake' we set up at Paramount that is already in development there.

Can you bring your developments projects from Disney to Paramount?

If [Disney] passes. There are a number Disney wants to release and we'll continue with those - 'National Treasure' and 'Pirates,' of course.

What's the status of 'Pirates 5'?

We're working on the screenplay. We have our directors, and they are working with the writer.

You have a deal at Warner Bros for television, but have you discussed television with Paramount?
Warner Bros is an excellent place to work. Not that Paramount isn't, but we have a long-term deal with Warner Bros.

Have you talked with Michael Bay (the director of several Bruckheimer films who has a deal at Paramount) about working together again?

We're friends; we'd love to work together.

And Johnny [Depp]?

Sure, we have a great relationship. He's off doing a couple of movies and hopefully we'll get him back for 'Pirates.'
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Re: Jerry Bruckheimer leaves Disney for more flexibility

Unread post by Ranger »

The movie is dead
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

as long as Bay is not the director.. rifts couldn't survivie a baypocalypse..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

What about an animated movie? Find some Japaneses Anime firm that wants a new franchise and pitch it to them. Sure it won't be live action, but hell it would get made at least.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Just noticed this bit:

If [Disney] passes. There are a number Disney wants to release and we'll continue with those - 'National Treasure' and 'Pirates,' of course.

I guess now the question is, "Who actually has optioned the Rifts property?" If it's Disney's ball, they might decide to sit on it so that there isn't a possible competitor for Star Wars revenue.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Steve President George W. Bush wrote:Just noticed this bit:

I guess now the question is, "Who actually has optioned the Rifts property?" If it's Disney's ball, they might decide to sit on it so that there isn't a possible competitor for Star Wars revenue.

I am of the belief that is what they have been doing all along is just sitting on the movie to keep it from being a competitor. And to keep Kevin from sueing them for certain images related to other movies, ex the Hammer Drones with the Boom Guns from Iron Man 2.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

:( Sadly, I think we will be lucky to see a Rifts movie in next 10 to 20 years, if not at all. :-(
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Rappanui wrote:The rifts movie with johnny Depp as the lead!

*cough* *choke* *cough*

No...
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Keannu Reaves as Emporer Proseck

Jennifer Lawrence as Erin Tarn!!!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

They've had the option for like 12 years. How long is that agreement for anyway? I really would like it to expire and for KS to open up the property for independent and fan development. I think a web series about a Glitterboy pilot wandering the US midwest would make an excellent vehicle to introduce the setting to a wider fanbase.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Disney was probably sitting on the Rifts license until the Star Wars deal was done. Now that they have Marvel + Star Wars, there isn't much of a reason to sit on any other IPs. When it comes up for renewal, Disney will pass, Bruckheimer will decide if he wants to ask Paramount or Warner to pick up the renewal.

This may be the best news for a Rifts movie.

Even if Disney and Bruckheimer don't renew, that's not bad news. Rifts could then be shopped back out, and then presented to HBO and other venues, including overseas production, aka anime.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

As far as I know the license is with Bruckheimer not Disney, so should be able to take it to any studio.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

well, it's been 2 years with no news, so evidently bruckheimer moving ship hasn't affected the development much..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I fully agree we are grasping at straws.

Shawn Merrow wrote:As far as I know the license is with Bruckheimer not Disney, so should be able to take it to any studio.

There may be the question of co-mingled funds / development deal terms and also when exactly the Rifts option comes up for renewal. It's not called Development Hell for nothing!

Return to “Rifts® Movie”