Rifts, by Tarantino

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mercdog
Hero

Rifts, by Tarantino

Unread post by Mercdog »

I had a thought last night about what a scene from the possible Rifts movie might be if Quentin Tarantino directed it.

A couple CS deadboys on patrol are ambushed by a group of juicers looking for a "good time". One of the CS troops is killed, the other is overpowered and bound up with a sack over his head. Later, the bag is taken off and the deadboy finds himself hanging upside down. After about 5 minutes of Tarantinist dialogue, a few of the juicers breakout sledge hammers and turn to the deadboy, the lead juicer says "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a deadboy?"

I know, I know, just a random pithy thought, but has anybody sprung a scene like this on their players? If so, what was it? How did it work out?
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Re: Rifts, by Tarantino

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Actually, that scenario is a little funny. But then, I've always had a weird sense of humor.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally i'd prefer to see John Woo. just watch Appleseed: Ex Machina to see how well that style mixes with a rift-esque enviroment.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Personally, I would just love for someone who really cares about the world of Rifts to direct. They'd be more likely to want the movie to succeed based on being faithful to the source material and characters than by just making the most money on opening weekend because the visuals look pretty and the CG is impressive.

But that's a whole other topic. :wink:

Got to go, but carry on. I'll check back when I can.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

Teh awesome!!!!
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Mercdog wrote:Personally, I would just love for someone who really cares about the world of Rifts to direct. They'd be more likely to want the movie to succeed based on being faithful to the source material and characters than by just making the most money on opening weekend because the visuals look pretty and the CG is impressive.

No director makes a movie that he doesn't care about. It's 24/7 for a year of his life. Even the worst movie had a director who was 100% devoted to the film.

However, every director is devoted to HIS vision. If we get really lucky, the director's vision of Rifts will overlap with our own personal vision. But regardless how awesome the Rifts movie might be, there will be some whiners about its "faithfulness"

The studio is devoted to the opening weekend because in capitalism, film is a business and movies are a product that has just ONE single chance to prove itself.

Everything depends on that opening weekend.
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Mercdog wrote:A couple CS deadboys on patrol are ambushed by a group of juicers looking for a "good time". One of the CS troops is killed, the other is overpowered and bound up with a sack over his head. Later, the bag is taken off and the deadboy finds himself hanging upside down. After about 5 minutes of Tarantinist dialogue, a few of the juicers breakout sledge hammers and turn to the deadboy, the lead juicer says "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a deadboy?"
As much as I love Quinten, he hasn't done a movie wrong yet, his style just doesn't sit well with me for a Rifts setting. I feel a lot of his dialogue would be too organized and almost flowery for the setting. Plus one of his plots, in an already convoluted setting, might just make the average moviegoers heads explode.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

[quote="Spinachcat]

No director makes a movie that he doesn't care about. It's 24/7 for a year of his life. Even the worst movie had a director who was 100% devoted to the film.[/quote]

True, He is 100% devoted to making the film, but that doesn't mean he cares much about the material. I've seen interviews with several directors stating that they took a movie just for the work until a project came along that they were actually interested in.
However, every director is devoted to HIS vision. If we get really lucky, the director's vision of Rifts will overlap with our own personal vision. But regardless how awesome the Rifts movie might be, there will be some whiners about its "faithfulness"

Oh, don't get me wrong, I expect that there will be changes. In fact, part of me would like to see what kind of tweeks are made to the setting. I just hope the "tweeks" are not as extreme as those made in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or G.I. Joe films were. I mean, love them or hate them, I'm happy the interest was there to make the films, but If you want to make a film based on a book/videogame/toyline, it should resemble the source enough not to alienate the fans of the source material.

The studio is devoted to the opening weekend because in capitalism, film is a business and movies are a product that has just ONE single chance to prove itself.

Everything depends on that opening weekend.

Well, not everything. There are several films (Like Predator, for example.) that didn't do that well on their opening weekend, but they have a vast fanbase that almost demands a sequel or three.

Good Points Spinachcat, Thanks for the thought.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Ale Golem wrote:
Mercdog wrote:A couple CS deadboys on patrol are ambushed by a group of juicers looking for a "good time". One of the CS troops is killed, the other is overpowered and bound up with a sack over his head. Later, the bag is taken off and the deadboy finds himself hanging upside down. After about 5 minutes of Tarantinist dialogue, a few of the juicers breakout sledge hammers and turn to the deadboy, the lead juicer says "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a deadboy?"
As much as I love Quinten, he hasn't done a movie wrong yet, his style just doesn't sit well with me for a Rifts setting. I feel a lot of his dialogue would be too organized and almost flowery for the setting. Plus one of his plots, in an already convoluted setting, might just make the average moviegoers heads explode.

That would be one hell of an opening weekend. :D
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Tarinto would be a great choice if he is as big a gaming geek as he is a film geek. Otherwise I don't think he would have as much interest in it. That is what the Rifts movie needs ia director with a passion for the souce material...like Tarantino and the old Brated movies and San Rami and the spider man movies.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Could you imagine if Peter Jackson got on board to direct the movie, or even Steven Spelburg? Or perhaps even Ridley Scott?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

You'd have to do that to capture the true essence of any Juicer fight scene.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Do bullet time like they did in the Matrix, that is.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Umm, he was NOT a Juicer in Chronicles of Riddick. If anything, I would either say that he is either a City Rat or Mercenary. For Fast and Furious, he was either an Operator or a City Rat. Think about his streetwise skills in the movie, but I digress. He has directed, but more short films artsy fartsy type is the best that I could describe them for never having seen them but having read their descriptions. Of course that's not to say that he wouldn't direct such an endeavor. I doubt he would because he only has four significant movies under his directing belt, but he as produced nearly three times as many movies, including Hitman, Fast & Furious, and The Chronicles of Riddick. If he was going to do anything with a Rifts movie, I would definitely see him producing and acting in it, maybe (hopefully) also keep whoever is directing it (I could see him getting David Twohy to direct, considering the awesome job they did together on TCoR) as true to Rifts as possible.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown

Return to “Rifts® Movie”