RIfts MMORPG

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thedrunk
Explorer
Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation

Re: RIfts MMORPG

Unread post by thedrunk »

Torngesis wrote:My suggestion is all the classes in the main book when the games starts out, Then with each expansion you can add the additional books as expansions which would turn out a huge profit and years and years to come of gaming. Thats how Ever quest 1 was, I am a MMO hardcore player( over 13 years now) and I have been playing palladium games since you guys only had the main book palladium fantasy back in 1983 or 84 when it was just the book back as well my group called it. Rifts has such a enormous money in it. as long as you don't sell the wrights away you guys will have so much money it wouldn't be funny. Look at world of warcraft for instance they only had a stuff of 50 people for the first 3 years of that games existence and had 7 million players on a monthly subscription of 16 bucks each account that equals 112 million a month and the over head was crap. Honestly there trying to create there star craft in to an MMO and my suggestion is get Rifts going as fast as possible. main book core of the game and build from there stay within America for the first 8-12 months and have an expansion every 6 months after that. You can have groups 6-8 man ( hence to be like table top) do quest in Chitown or any where in America. Some minor things of course would be free like small expansions like if you add psyscape where Tolken is huge so that would be a toss up if you wanted to add some content and the rest a buy able expansion. If you want to even hire me as a consultant I'm up for it. I'm taking my BA in network administration/Server based and web design for creation of games Just started so it would take me a year to get all the skills I would need. I am serious about assisting in this venture.

I am currently working on the idea of a Table Top MMorpg of palladium not just rifts but palladium as a whole. I am not able to discuss specifics on forums for copyright infringment yet I am a man with a team I am putting together the funding is out there for the grabing. if more people though like the OP and you I could work faster and possibility give mroe details I have a post trying to get a dedicated fan base for a Palladium MMORPG. once I see there si a dedicated fan base and after talks with licensing I can start making mroe posts and get people connected and discuss other topics liek donating time efforts, royalities etc etc but for now since there is no offical game I am asking for the fans who want to see this type of game please post also on my topic so I can show palladium and licening that there si a dedicated fan base with in thier own community.
"when in doubt, do it. It's much easier to appolige than to get permission."
- Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

Falconi wrote:Well, if you need advice or maybe a little code here and there I'll lend a hand, but I've been in the Biz and worked on an MMO Project and what you're talking about is the single most ambitious, difficult, expensive and complicated projects in game development.

In the words of Jason Hall (Now the CEO of Monolith) whom I had an opportunity to speak to at GDC 03, "You're going to have a lot of 'ComeTo Jesus' moments." What that means is that it's not going to be easy and there are going to be a lot of obstacles in your way. I commend your gusto - it reminds me of myself in many ways. But let me be honest and straightforward without trying to be a killjoy: Its a very naive assumption to believe that you can create an MMO, from scratch within four years without a team of professional developers and staff. Even licensing middleware, there is significant lead-in time required to get your team up to speed on the technology you're using. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's gonna be a lot harder than you think.

That being said, again, if you need help - let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.
This I am aware but if I finaily get the go ahead 60% of my work is cut otu fro me because palladium already has the majority of material in book. I have a few ideas abotu engine and Ai capabilities and have reaserched some possible ones that will do it good. but all help is aperaciated and welcomed PM me for a way to keep contact and I will give u my e mail and yahoo which i use a lto more then forums

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
thedrunk
Explorer
"Combat With a Smile"

melanieshaman wrote:Never Happen..as stated before the balancing issue, too much "stuff" and well doesn't have the audience to keep an mmo going... i mean 3-500k players is a success, and are there really that many people that would pay $15 a month to play it?

There are a lot more, my reaserch has proven that if the interface, gameplay, and features are stimulating then there will be dedicated fans. if the audence you are trying to target are these "button Pushers" then no the game will never go anywhere, but if its about Role Playing and content then it will suceedand uterlly provide what gamers are wanting that the game develpers are not providing.

Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

I was browsing through this and I had an idea: instead of an MMORPG, there could be a video game with the same tools as Neverwinter Nights, ect. A gamemaster could create their own worlds, campaigns, ect and run them online with other players. I suppose it would be like a Visual RIFTS, or some such...and given how intertwined the other games are, dimensionally and rules-wise, it might as well be a V-Megaverse or something. :)
Remember who you wanted to be.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Yeah, I'm ressurecting the thread. Sue me. =P

The reason why so few MMOs have actual roleplay in them is that the design of MMOs isn't suited well to roleplay. How do you ask someone what class and level they are in a roleplay context? It's not that important in a tabletop setting (where the GM makes sure things are balanced), but in an MMO, with random grouping, it's very important.

That's not even mentioning trying to roleplay *during* combat. You try to tell your group to flank right while you tank, and you get out "Flank right while I t--" and the thing has already killed your healer, while you sat there and watched, because typing + combat = one of them is not being done as well as it should be, if not both.

Furthermore, the very nature of an MMO destroys any sense of roleplay. That juicer you just killed? Yeah, he's back. And he has the exact same gear he did ten minutes ago. And the last three people you met? They killed him too. In fact, when there's not a lot of people around, there's a guy who kills him over and over because there's a quest to bring ten juicer harnesses to a cyberdoc and he'll give you 500 credits. He'll pay you over and over. He only needs ten, but he'll pay you for ten, twenty, thirty. Why? Beats me. But he seems thrilled each and every time you give him ten. Furthermore, everyone you know has done it at least once, so he's got to have thousands of them by now but, hey, another ten's always good, right?

So you put all these elements together, and MMOs are not conducive to roleplay. You *can* roleplay in an MMO, but you're doing it despite its architecture, not because of it.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Rifter6 wrote:
Falconi wrote:You speak the truth, Rifter!

I suppose there is room for both types of games to be sure - both with their play styles and target audience. Just like there is Classic Warcraft for the Real Time Strategy buffs, and World of Warcraft for the MMO. Two different games with two different play styles that cater to two different markets. That way you don't compete against yourself but you still are able to massively advertise your company and products. :)

Right on! well.. now that we've 'solved' the Rifts MMO vs. PC argument, what's there to argue about any more. We just killed this thread. :eek: :mrgreen:

-Rifter6

Should they put the -10 to dodge with no bonuses rule in? :p
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

Dry and Simple. They've been approched by a few companies and turned them down. Unless Blizzard give them a few bill it isn't going to happen.
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Who has approached us and who have we turned down?

Alex Marciniszyn
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

AlexM wrote:Who has approached us and who have we turned down?

Alex Marciniszyn

That was a quote from KS during the 2006 Open House VIP night when he took everyone to his office.
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Four years ago, we were approached by one company that expected us to foot the bill. Not what we're looking for. And similar.

To put that into context, we are sometimes contacted by people who cannot do the quality work we and our fans are looking for.

Alex Marciniszyn
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

You would be amazed at what "No name" Companies can produce.

CCP
Icarus Studios.

And in 2006 I did tried to setup a meeting with Someone from PB with Avni Yerli about a Rifts:FPS but was given the run around and then was told after Promise of Power KS didn't want to look at offers from other companies, can't remember who it was tho. I can dig around on the MMO forums and see if I can find it. Avni said he didn't have time to be waiting around as other projects had started flooding in. Crysis being one of them :(

However I still do have low level coder friends at CCP and Icarus, but they are very busy with thier Own MMO's Grossing on average $500,000 a month.

Pennies compared to Blizzard, nothing to sneeze at still. And both of those companies came from nothing.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

websitelink wrote:CCP is about the only company right now I'd trust to pull it off.

OH HOOK LINE AND MOTHER EFFIN SINKER.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

AlexM wrote:Four years ago, we were approached by one company that expected us to foot the bill. Not what we're looking for. And similar.

To put that into context, we are sometimes contacted by people who cannot do the quality work we and our fans are looking for.

Alex Marciniszyn

Wait, found it. 5 years ago you were approached by a company(Icarus Studios LLC) that wanted to do a profit share, but you wanted insane amounts of money to release the IP. You wouldn't even sell it, you would lease it and the rate would change depending on how Palladium Felt any given year. So instead they made Fallen Earth.

"The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland located around the American Grand Canyon. Fallen Earth's gameplay features FPS/RPG hybridization, first-person/third person views, 19 equipment slots, hundreds of items including improvised equipment and weapons, a real-time crafting system, various skills and abilities, factions and tactical PvP, all existing within 1000 square kilometers of usable terrain based on real-world topographical maps of the area."

100,000 and counting. @ $14.95 a month man thats a lot of money.
Milander
D-Bee

Unread post by Milander »

Nomadic wrote:
AlexM wrote:Four years ago, we were approached by one company that expected us to foot the bill. Not what we're looking for. And similar.

Alex Marciniszyn

Wait, found it. 5 years ago you were approached by a company(Icarus Studios LLC) that wanted to do a profit share, but you wanted insane amounts of money to release the IP. You wouldn't even sell it, you would lease it and the rate would change depending on how Palladium Felt any given year. So instead they made Fallen Earth.

"The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland located around the American Grand Canyon. Fallen Earth's gameplay features FPS/RPG hybridization, first-person/third person views, 19 equipment slots, hundreds of items including improvised equipment and weapons, a real-time crafting system, various skills and abilities, factions and tactical PvP, all existing within 1000 square kilometers of usable terrain based on real-world topographical maps of the area."

100,000 and counting. @ $14.95 a month man thats a lot of money.

Yeah but the problem there is fallen earth SUCKS. I WON a month of the game and all that and after the 'trail' I havent had ANY desire to go back.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

you are entitled to your opinion, like ******** everyones got one.

but 1.45 Million a MONTH is a lot of cash for a company that is the size of PB. and Has Server Side cost of about 100k a month
Last edited by Nomadic on Fri May 28, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomadic
Explorer

Unread post by Nomadic »

MillionDollarHatGuy wrote:Wouldn't play it myself.

I like Pen and Paper RPGs because I am not bound by the barriers of the Programmers mind.

To each their own. The sadness I felt when I realized I couldn't slay small Horde children in WoW.

It's not perfect, but i'd rather have both. Esp if it were NeverWinterNights style so Gm's could make campaigns for character to go thru.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

The problem is, there are no good free MMOs. GuildWars is dull, DDO is excruciating. Item Mall games aren't free in any sense, unless you like the idea of an unlimited time demo. I've never been able to play a free MMO without wanting to gouge out my eyes with spoons and put a rusty spike through my head. But I just got the 66 month veteran reward for City of Heroes. Like was said, to each their own.

On another note, NWN isn't an MMO, or even close, and you'll never see a MMO where you can make your own missions, unless it's a gimmicky side idea like City of Heroes' Architect system.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

A bit late to the discussion it seems, but in short;

It would be a horrific mess. Keep it in books where it's meant to be. I still don't get all this Movie nonsense, given any big named director it'd just end up like the Crystal Skull or Attack of the Clones and would just make people cry and lose any connection they had with the original source. Focus on what it does best, not try to do everything.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I would just be happy with a Rifts based video game, a real one, not what was basically an app. I AM NOT TRYING TO DISRESPECT PROMISE OF POWER, however the reason I consider it to be just an app is due to the fact that it was only made available on a phone. This has made me very upset because of the fact that I had no means of getting said phone and thus getting Promise of Power. Honestly, if you ask me, it should have been made available to a much wider market, but that is just me getting on my soap box.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

For rifts we need a new type of MMO, one that features Players and an Actual GM for story telling
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer

Return to “Rifts® Movie”