What type of article do you like?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Icefalcon
Champion

What type of article do you like?

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I was wondering, what type of article people prefer to read?

For myself, I prefer ones that further a setting (with cities, back story and maybe maps) or ones that present existing OCC's/RCC's and gear in new and interesting ways. On occasion, I like articles that enhance my abilities as a GM, ones that present new enemy creatures, ones that present new classes and gear and very rarely ones that have fan fiction stories.

Articles that I do not like include adventures (never use published ones), clunky and/or weird game mechanics (I am specifically thinking of the recent explosive article), and "shopping cart" style articles that are doing nothing but adding more gear of the same type presented in the books (I would rather have new equipment types, such as a Neural buttstock for a rifle {thanks KC for the Patriot Arms thread} rather than a new Coalition or TW weapon).

I would like to hear what others like and dislike as far as article type.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: What type of article do you like?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Adventures (bored of me yet?)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Icefalcon
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:Adventures (bored of me yet?)

Not yet. :lol:
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Setting info.
I would like to see more info on Pyramids
I would like to see info on True Atlantian clans and society.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe ther can be article on Advensaries,Npc,s Villains for Palladium fantasy,Rifts,H.U and BtS.
Each one with a History,Personality,Goal and how to fit them in your players,s Adventure. How to make them a One-Shot Or a Ongoing enemie.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Daeglan wrote:Setting info.
I would like to see more info on Pyramids
I would like to see info on True Atlantian clans and society.

You need to go and download the free 2013 catalogue right now! You will wet urself...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I would like to see more articles like the one about the Quorians...
I always liked those "ecology of" articles in Dragon Magazine.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Icefalcon
Champion

Damian Magecraft wrote:I would like to see more articles like the one about the Quorians...

I did like "ecology of" and "class acts"
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Panomas wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:I would like to see more articles like the one about the Quorians...

Quorians?-

Phase World 1-?

Greetings and Salutations. I believe (and/or hope) he's referring to the article Home Away From Home from Rifter #55, which discusses the Quorian Culture (a race orignally from PF9: Baalgor Wastelands and seen again in Rifts Conversion Book One: Revised) and highlighted by the brilliant artwork of Mumah.

If so, I can say there should be another such article (MUCH longer covering more races, which means most of the PF main book races) in an upcoming PDF release, and written by the same author as that article. Anyways, I think thats all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Prysus wrote:
Panomas wrote:

Quorians?-

Phase World 1-?

Greetings and Salutations. I believe (and/or hope) he's referring to the article Home Away From Home from Rifter #55, which discusses the Quorian Culture (a race orignally from PF9: Baalgor Wastelands and seen again in Rifts Conversion Book One: Revised) and highlighted by the brilliant artwork of Mumah.

If so, I can say there should be another such article (MUCH longer covering more races, which means most of the PF main book races) in an upcoming PDF release, and written by the same author as that article. Anyways, I think thats all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

:ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

It would be could to have more ecology of and culture of articles. Expand info on various RCCs and monsters. It would also be nice to expand info on various regions.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Prysus wrote:
Panomas wrote:

Quorians?-

Phase World 1-?

Yup thats the one...
I loved it... it gave a deeper insight into the race.
I want to see more like that.
And if the author is taking requests one on the Quorians rivals the Gosai would be an entertaining read IMHO.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:Yup thats the one...
And if the author is taking requests one on the Quorians rivals the Gosai would be an entertaining read IMHO.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, these are the articles currently out there (those labeled "Rifter 0.1" should be in some upcoming electronic only PDF format, but may not be Rifter 0.1 as that's being broken up) if you're curious:

http://www.prysus.com/pf_cultures.htm

That'll include the various Rifters as well as other books (such as Rifts) that may hold some insight. Not on my site (I had missed it previously and I need to update my list), is also the article:

Brodkil Culture: See Rifter 46 for details (section titled Rebel Waltz; page 39, by Mark Hall).

As for the Gosai ... I considered it in the past (when I was doing the Quorian, which came about when I was running an Elf-Dwarf War campaign and someone wanted to play a Riftlord, and the campaign came about because someone wanted to play a magic wielding dwarf), but nothing came to mind and I didn't have much inspiration. I'll consider it some more, but I have another project I'm working on at this time. I'm ... maybe 25% to 33% done with my current project, and I'm avoiding any new projects until that one's finished. Maybe when I'm done with that though (January is my goal, but you can consider that a Palladium type of time frame :P), I'll look further into the Gosai idea (I do take requests, and when I'm motivated I tend to get flashes of inspiration better).

Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

EDIT:: P.S. I was washing dishes and had a few sudden ideas. Notes on a Gosai Culture have been started. I'm still not planning to start on it until I finish my current project but ... well, it's something. I may need reminding when I finish that other project (I'll probably say something on the PF forums when I'm done). My current project I think should make PF fans very happy. The Gosai Culture I think can make Rifter fans rather happy (and if my current thoughts hold true, better than the Quorian article which I liked, but I don't doesn't wow me as my best/most interesting work).

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I also like to see Enchanted Mustical Instruments and Magic weapons and Items with New Enchantments.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Prysus wrote:
Panomas wrote:

Quorians?-

Phase World 1-?

Yup thats the one...

"It has BEGUN!"

Greetings and Salutations. Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I finally finished my other project (yeah, two years later, almost to the day). As such, I will now start working on that Gosai culture per the request above. I already have the first page done. I have other parts already laid out and the day is still young. Just saying I'm working on it, and when I'm done I'll be submitting it to the Rifter. If it'll see print or not is another matter, but only time will tell that for sure. I feel excited. First time I'm working on a project like this in years, and it feels good. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

New Planets for the Aliens Unlimited and Phase world,New Alien races for both and New tech too.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

As a player I like things that add modifications to the basic char templates. As an example, when I was in a NB making craze I used Rifters 1, 20 and 15 a lot.

Additionally I liked the Go Mental article.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

more cities or places to visit, detailed maps, specialized OCC's if they arent near copies of existing OCC's,
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I also like Expanded the Culture of existing Aliens Unlimited,s and Phase world,s races,give more info about ther governments,laws and militaries.
I hope people will send in Articles explore this to Rifter.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”