first article coming out in Rifter 79

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

first article coming out in Rifter 79

Unread post by zerombr »

I'm a bit worried. I've got my first article coming out in Rifter 79, about the Stage Magician. Did a lot of thinking on it, reimagining the power category, and I know that the boards can be a bit vicious at times. Nevertheless I hope its enough that at least one person gets excited to actually try out this reinvented hero archetype.

Just felt the need to gush or cringe.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: first article coming out in Rifter 79

Unread post by Jack Burton »

zerombr wrote:I'm a bit worried. I've got my first article coming out in Rifter 79, about the Stage Magician. Did a lot of thinking on it, reimagining the power category, and I know that the boards can be a bit vicious at times. Nevertheless I hope its enough that at least one person gets excited to actually try out this reinvented hero archetype.

I KNOW people will enjoy it! I haven't played the Stage Magician (yet), but I got a sneak peek at GenCon. She was quite entertaining and well thought out! Are you going to the Open House and if so, will you be running any games?
kennethk
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by kennethk »

I usually pick up Rifters based on what is in each issue but I will pick up for your article. I am very curious to see the revamped archetype.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I look forward to devouring (figuratively) the article.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

BookWyrm wrote:I look forward to devouring (figuratively) the article.

Figuratively? Come ON! We all know, you will gobble it up.

zerombr wrote:I'm a bit worried. I've got my first article coming out in Rifter 79, about the Stage Magician. Did a lot of thinking on it, reimagining the power category, and I know that the boards can be a bit vicious at times. Nevertheless I hope its enough that at least one person gets excited to actually try out this reinvented hero archetype. Just felt the need to gush or cringe.

:-) Don't be worried! Having said that, I would guess all authors are nervous about how their work will be received. When you work on something for a long time and pour your heart and soul into it, you want to have produced something "good enough" for the gamers and you cannot be sure until you have feedback. Yet, you already have feedback: you are being published, my friend, and in The Rifter - that is a high for any Palladium fan. Enjoy the ride!!!

I am very much looking forward to read your work.
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Jack Burton wrote:
zerombr wrote:I'm a bit worried. I've got my first article coming out in Rifter 79, about the Stage Magician. Did a lot of thinking on it, reimagining the power category, and I know that the boards can be a bit vicious at times. Nevertheless I hope its enough that at least one person gets excited to actually try out this reinvented hero archetype.

I KNOW people will enjoy it! I haven't played the Stage Magician (yet), but I got a sneak peek at GenCon. She was quite entertaining and well thought out! Are you going to the Open House and if so, will you be running any games?

I was hoping to put the reservation in this very weekend for the hotel room and the admission fee. I'm not sure how to apply to run anything there, whether there's a schedule or a hodgepodge. But yes I was planning on running at least two Cascade games.

I'm quite pleased to see support for the Stage Mage, I've also got a Super Sleuth revamp article submitted.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

just bought my admission!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

zerombr wrote:just bought my admission!

Congrats! Can't wait to see you there, though I have no ideal what you look like. :D Anyways, can't wait to see your article also!
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:

I was hoping to put the reservation in this very weekend for the hotel room and the admission fee. I'm not sure how to apply to run anything there, whether there's a schedule or a hodgepodge. But yes I was planning on running at least two Cascade games.

I'm quite pleased to see support for the Stage Mage, I've also got a Super Sleuth revamp article submitted.

I'd love to see the Super Sleuth article! Is that also in line with what we saw at GenCon?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I can vouch first hand that the Stage Mage revisions are a spectacle of marvel and wonder. The (revised) character archetype definitely has more than one trick up its sleeve.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Congratulations :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Jack Burton wrote:I'd love to see the Super Sleuth article! Is that also in line with what we saw at GenCon?

it is! I changed the character's name from just 'Sleuth' to Snoop. She's statted out in the sleuth article, just like Kelly Sharpe, Queen of Diamonds is statted out in the Stage Mage.

Alias: The Snoop
Name: Carmina Bertrelli
Land of Origin: New York City
Alignment: Principled
Description: A Mediterranean woman with a regal beauty to her. An olive skin tone combined with shoulder length hair that frames her sharp features. As The Snoop, Carmina wears a brown, stylized waistcoat that flares at the hips, and with metal shoulder pads, belying its armored nature. The only other simple adornment is a black eyemask.
Disposition: Serious, thoughtful, and with unbreakable moral character. Carmina took the vows of the force seriously, and seeks to ingraine herself to them on a daily basis. Protect. Serve. Respect. Upon dismissal from the force, she admitted to herself that she could still do a lot of good by safeguarding the boys in blue.
History: Carmina's a first generation immigrant to the U.S., her parents Greek and Italian respectively. She followed in her father's footsteps in the police force until illicit funds, from a suspected mob holding, were transferred into her personal accounts. The matter was brought to light by an outside source, and politics demanded Bertrelli take the fall. Suspecting corrupting in the department, Carmina reluctantly took on a role of a vigilante to help root out police and political corruption, as The Snoop. Always in the back of her mind is the question of why it was she that was set up for the fall.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:I'd love to see the Super Sleuth article! Is that also in line with what we saw at GenCon?

it is! I changed the character's name from just 'Sleuth' to Snoop. She's statted out in the sleuth article, just like Kelly Sharpe, Queen of Diamonds is statted out in the Stage Mage.

Alias: The Snoop
Name: Carmina Bertrelli
Land of Origin: New York City
Alignment: Principled
Description: A Mediterranean woman with a regal beauty to her. An olive skin tone combined with shoulder length hair that frames her sharp features. As The Snoop, Carmina wears a brown, stylized waistcoat that flares at the hips, and with metal shoulder pads, belying its armored nature. The only other simple adornment is a black eyemask.
Disposition: Serious, thoughtful, and with unbreakable moral character. Carmina took the vows of the force seriously, and seeks to ingraine herself to them on a daily basis. Protect. Serve. Respect. Upon dismissal from the force, she admitted to herself that she could still do a lot of good by safeguarding the boys in blue.
History: Carmina's a first generation immigrant to the U.S., her parents Greek and Italian respectively. She followed in her father's footsteps in the police force until illicit funds, from a suspected mob holding, were transferred into her personal accounts. The matter was brought to light by an outside source, and politics demanded Bertrelli take the fall. Suspecting corrupting in the department, Carmina reluctantly took on a role of a vigilante to help root out police and political corruption, as The Snoop. Always in the back of her mind is the question of why it was she that was set up for the fall.

Another good one to be on the lookout for! I suspect she will have some contacts left over from her days as a detective. That was one aspect of the character that made the overall story and experience all the more flavorful and enjoyable at GenCon.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

indeed, I've also added cover identities too, that a char can produce on a whim. Pretty much the Sleuth was reengineered so you could play most any sort of mystery protagonist, from detective to attorney to jackie chan supercop to befuddling old sleuths. What I am really pleased with is the Evidence system, which you track on your sheet as you go further into a story. The more evidence you have, sometimes reflects in your ability set.

That said that one hasn't been picked up yet, and I'm really hopin for it.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:indeed, I've also added cover identities too, that a char can produce on a whim. Pretty much the Sleuth was reengineered so you could play most any sort of mystery protagonist, from detective to attorney to jackie chan supercop to befuddling old sleuths. What I am really pleased with is the Evidence system, which you track on your sheet as you go further into a story. The more evidence you have, sometimes reflects in your ability set.

Now that has piqued my interest! The fact that the character class supports everyone from detectives to a nosy old "Mrs. Kravitz" type is awesome! (A reference from the old show Bewitched, for you Millennials). I love the diversity that a player can choose from. I'm working on an OCC for BTS-2 that will allow a player many, many options for character creation. Creating a character, at least for me, is always fun!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Jack Burton wrote:
zerombr wrote:indeed, I've also added cover identities too, that a char can produce on a whim. Pretty much the Sleuth was reengineered so you could play most any sort of mystery protagonist, from detective to attorney to jackie chan supercop to befuddling old sleuths. What I am really pleased with is the Evidence system, which you track on your sheet as you go further into a story. The more evidence you have, sometimes reflects in your ability set.

Now that has piqued my interest! The fact that the character class supports everyone from detectives to a nosy old "Mrs. Kravitz" type is awesome! (A reference from the old show Bewitched, for you Millennials). I love the diversity that a player can choose from. I'm working on an OCC for BTS-2 that will allow a player many, many options for character creation. Creating a character, at least for me, is always fun!

granted the power cat still has hacking skills and the like, and Jessica Fletcher may have to undergo some revamping to fit (though she did end up in 'the magical world of Virtual Reality' in the worst episode ever).

I also added in some basic interrogation rules, turns out a Palladium fan contacted me that had military experience, and that helped out. Interrogation damages Mental Endurance, and if you happen to play like an Ace Attorney aka Phoenix Wright, you can smack down all the evidence you've learned for a big boost to the damage one time.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Cannot wait for the Rifter 79 to appear on our doorsteps. Very eager to read all of it and looking forward to see the responses.

Does anyone have his already?
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Hendrik wrote:Cannot wait for the Rifter 79 to appear on our doorsteps. Very eager to read all of it and looking forward to see the responses.

Does anyone have his already?

I received mine this weekend
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
BookWyrm
Champion

Hendrik wrote:

Of course. I have the honey-mustard at the ready. ;-)
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

as I understand it, I am supposed to get 3 copies for writing it, but I haven't seen them yet.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

zerombr wrote:as I understand it, I am supposed to get 3 copies for writing it, but I haven't seen them yet.

You will receive some author specimen copies. IIRC it was 3 or 4. They would usually be sent out with the mailing of the Rifter to the subscribers, I guess. On my first article I received the specimen copies together with my subscription copy. I do not have more experience than that, I am afraid. I would think that we will have our copies around the 24th (depending on snail mail speed and location, probably shorter for the US - my Rifters have to cross the Pond).

I am just as eager and so want to see Rifter 79. I am checking my mailbox every day, eager like a child waiting for Santa Claus. I even asked my wife to call me immediately should the Rifter arrive :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Hendrik on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

BookWyrm wrote:
Hendrik wrote:

Of course. I have the honey-mustard at the ready. ;-)

GOOD man!

Bon appetit!

I hope you will enjoy Gaming through History / Flashing Blades of Horror (if Palladium published both parts), too.

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hendrik wrote:
zerombr wrote:as I understand it, I am supposed to get 3 copies for writing it, but I haven't seen them yet.

... I am just as eager and so want to see Rifter 79. I am checking my mailbox every day, eager like a child waiting for Santa Claus. I even asked my wife to call me immediately should the Rifter arrive :shock: :lol:

IRONYYYYY!

My wife just called me at the office and my copy/copies seem to have arrived. CAN NOT WAIT TO GET HOME!

Looking forward to read your article, Matt.

zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

I really hope you enjoy it, though after writing my second I already see flaws in the first.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to get my copies at all ;;
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

I just got done reading the reinvented Stage Magician. I had The Rifter open alongside my HU2 book to compare the two. Matt, I am blown away. You took that character to the next level and then some! It looks really, really fun to play and I cannot wait to see the Super Sleuth! Bravo! I encourage EVERYONE to pick up a copy of Rifter 79 so you can have this character in your HU2 toolbag.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

I did not have the time to compare your Stage Magician with the HU book version yet (but I will :-) ), Matt, but your article is a joy to read and has lots of nifty ideas to flesh out a Stage Magician. I think your article adds to the panoply available to at any HU group!

zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

I am pleased, relieved, and humbled that you enjoy my contribution. I actually obsessed over that for the better part of six months, trying to really make that power cat something interesting, inventive, and fun.

I haven't seen it yet myself, I'm hoping that everything was kept, which means that I have some characters in there from my setting of Cascade, a precursor to the actual article I'm still working on

I've submitted the sleuth but I don't have wordperfect so I'm hoping that isn't discouraging Wayne from selecting it.

Thank you both again for the approval. That means a lot to me.
DaveDan
D-Bee

Unread post by DaveDan »

where can I read this article guys?
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

DaveDan wrote:where can I read this article guys?

page 77 of Rifter 79
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

lol, still haven't seen it myself. Was there artwork? I'm already looking at my copy I sent in and see things I'd do differently, like further describe the characters I put in there...
BookWyrm
Champion

I have my Rifter #79 in hand and I have to say, VERY WELL DONE zerombr!
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

you humble me. I can only hope that they accept my Super Sleuth rewrite and so I can continue this trend of revamping the Special Training categories.
BookWyrm
Champion

Praise well earned. I look forward to your next article.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Panomas II
Explorer

Unread post by Panomas II »

If I remember correctly... It's 60 or 90 Days from the publish date in the submission guidelines somewhere here on the site... The contract you get in the mail (if it hasn't changed) will be specified... I can't remember if it's either 90 or 120 days from the publish date. If you signed the NDA it's in there.

Whatever the amount of time, just contact them after that and they'll send your CCs along.

Congrats.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Panomas II wrote:If I remember correctly... It's 60 or 90 Days from the publish date in the submission guidelines somewhere here on the site... The contract you get in the mail (if it hasn't changed) will be specified... I can't remember if it's either 90 or 120 days from the publish date. If you signed the NDA it's in there.

Whatever the amount of time, just contact them after that and they'll send your CCs along.

Congrats.

excellent, thank you, I had no idea how long it'd take. Now I can relax at least!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What are the new special skills the Stage magician gets?

What new special skill is the best?

I wil be looking for Rifter 79.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

well I can't say if one is /best/, in fact since then I've sort of made a few other power cats even better, but the Stage Mage gets two superskills, Sleight of Hand now covers palming, pick pockets, and concealment (I believe, its been a bit), Master of Escape covers pick locks and escape artist. Those penalty lists are halved if not moreso.

The newest bit are the abilities list, which focus on mentalism, acrobatics, quick change artistry, and such. Higher level Stage mages can do some incredible damage with advanced moves 'the pledge, the turn, and the prestige'. A lot of the stage mage's damage is based off of surprise and setup, plus they can take some ancient weapon master specialist moves too.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I forgot to ask about the Sample characters,So Please what ther names?
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Kelly Sharpe, and her partner Bora the Elaborate, and the villain Regalia Red,

I try to make different builds for each character, Regalia Red's an example as to why a high level Stage Mage should be dangerous
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

thanks you Zerombr.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What do you think are the Top Ten Abilities a Stage Magician can get?
matt.reed
Wanderer
Comment: wrote several power cat updates for the Rifter, and Cascade
guidesmegaverse.podbean.com

Unread post by matt.reed »

gaby wrote:thanks you Zerombr.

depends on what you want to do. I think the turn and the prestige are very powerful if you can get the drop on people. I had Regalia Red hit a player for about 100 dmg using a volley of sharp (to the tune of +5 dmg) cards.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”