Levitating the unwilling

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Levitating the unwilling

Unread post by dragonfett »

Is it possible to cast levitate on an unwilling target, or in something they are wearing (like armor). The spell has no saving throw and can be cast upon others and objects.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Levitating the unwilling

Unread post by Library Ogre »

IMO, if it is cast upon an unwilling target or their gear, it allows a save.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Mark Hall wrote:IMO, if it is cast upon an unwilling target or their gear, it allows a save.

Agreed.

Think of it as wiggling out of the psychic grasp.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

dragonfett wrote:Is it possible to cast levitate on an unwilling target, or in something they are wearing (like armor). The spell has no saving throw and can be cast upon others and objects.

My house rule is the levitated that gets the control.
So sure, you can cast levitate on a foe in combat... but YOU don't control the spell ow, they do.

I do this for a lot of the easily abused spells that people like to try and turn into low level I Win Buttons. It has done a lot to curb that particular tendency to try and abuse the game and tends to make games more interesting that "lets figure out a way to make the game a battle of 'who ever gets initiative wins automatically'... aka more fun for everyone.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Palladium has a lot of things that were obviously intended to be used one way ("Levitate has a range so you can lift your friends if they're falling!"), that players use another way ("If I want to avoid this combat, I should just levitate the knight out of the way.")
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The standard invocation of Levitation has a saving throw.

The Air Warlock version does not.

This has been true across multiple reprintings, including where the actual text of both has slightly shifted over the years.

Ergo, it is possible for someone to resist a Shifter casting levitation, but there is no defense against an air warlock levitating you. It always works. This makes air warlocks quite useful indeed. Nothing wrong with just levitating the black night into the sky and then letting him drop. seems like a legit tactic to me.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The standard invocation of Levitation has a saving throw.

The Air Warlock version does not.

This has been true across multiple reprintings, including where the actual text of both has slightly shifted over the years.

Ergo, it is possible for someone to resist a Shifter casting levitation, but there is no defense against an air warlock levitating you. It always works. This makes air warlocks quite useful indeed. Nothing wrong with just levitating the black night into the sky and then letting him drop. seems like a legit tactic to me.

Huh? I never realized that!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”