Warlocks

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Resolved: Warlocks are reincarnated elementals.

Poll ended at Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:58 am

Yay!
6%
Nay!
94%

Total votes: 17

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Warlocks

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Resolved: Warlocks are reincarnated elementals.

You have two weeks.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Warlocks

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

They’re NOT, but they should be.
How do I vote?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

No. Warlocks are non-Elemental beings that Elementals find adorable so they let them play with them, occasionally to their regret.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre

Killer Cyborg wrote:They’re NOT, but they should be.
How do I vote?

How do you think you should vote?

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

minor thing: if that's supposed to be "yes" or "no", "yay" is an exclamation of celebration, "yea" is yes (and pronounced the same way).

but more importantly: what is the intent of the poll? are you saying that for some reason it is resolved that your statement is true, and asking whether we like it or not? whether we agree or disagree? or are you asking us to resolve that question for you somehow?
Library Ogre

Shark_Force wrote:minor thing: if that's supposed to be "yes" or "no", "yay" is an exclamation of celebration, "yea" is yes (and pronounced the same way).

but more importantly: what is the intent of the poll? are you saying that for some reason it is resolved that your statement is true, and asking whether we like it or not? whether we agree or disagree? or are you asking us to resolve that question for you somehow?

I had a wild hare that my mind chased a bit, because it was bored. I decided to toss it among y'all, so you might have something to discuss.

All Palladium Articles
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I voted: no.

They are listing in canon text (MoM1) as being a CC that has Granted Powers.

The 'shadows of light' book has a format for what happens when elemental and human are mixed.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:minor thing: if that's supposed to be "yes" or "no", "yay" is an exclamation of celebration, "yea" is yes (and pronounced the same way).

I had a wild hare that my mind chased a bit, because it was bored. I decided to toss it among y'all, so you might have something to discuss.

For a discussion instead of just a vote I will present WHY I said no.
My view is that in my opinion the idea that the game already avoids, heavily, the metaphysics of souls. And for good reason. There is very little hard and fast information on what is a soul and the hard and fast mechanics of them. Which is, in my opinion a GOOD thing. Souls are a good area for a game to leave Canon Doubt and Uncertainty. Unless there is a pressing need to define them then I don't see it as being productive to go there. It is to easy to create unnecessary problems to be honest. For the same reason that the game stays away (mostly) from stating out real world religions (I know it fails, but it gets points for trying at least, and for its credit it does avoid the religions that are the most likely to be the faiths of the players which are the areas that cause the most trouble in games.)
The upshot of this is that suddenly not just introducing reincarnation as being A Thing, but also transmigration of souls where you can be reincarnated as different species... yeah that's going to open up a LOT of cans of worms. It might be an interesting flavor for a specific campaign... but for most games that is not going to be anything even remotely helpful and in fact to most games it will be the opposite and be destructive. It will be destructive because it is something that is totally out of line with the previously established mythos of Palladium and has massive metaphysical ramifications on virtually every level of the game. Basically unless your game was one where this particular plot thread was goign to be a key element... it will either have to be removed from the game or you will be having a lot of issues that are going to be a nuicence at best and likely a problem at worst. And worst of all it 'writes in' a huge area of the game (soul theory, after life, and the rest) for little gain (and conflicts with everything we already HAVE on souls to boot)... meaning that any GM who wants to impliment anything of their own has to choose between getting rid of parts of canon or their own ideas.

Thus I say not just no, but heck no.
Now for a specific game where I want to do something different? Yeah I might go play around with an idea like this. (or vice versa)
But in general? Not a chance.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I could see the argument being made for the opposite (where a lesser elemental is a reincarnated Warlock). Hear me out for a moment. Warlock links himself to a specific Elemental Intelligence (or two for those weirdos that split their commitments XD ), Warlock dies, Warlock's essence flows into the EI (or is split between the two EI's, or they fight it out, or whatever), EI creates a new minor or lesser elemental from the essence of the warlock (or much more likely, the essences of many warlocks), or the EI keeps the essence and adds it to it's own.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I voted No, since Elementals are alien intelligences. So in that sense they can't involve resurrection/re-incarnation or their thought processes and such wouldn't be so alien IMHO.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The 'shadows of light' book has a format for what happens when elemental and human are mixed.

The Gregori appear to be the Spirits of Light, who have elemental nature (and spells) but I can't recall if they're technically elementals or not.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”